Re: Scratch

Hello Elessar,

I, like you, have scratches in many of my swords, particularly at the part where the blade meets the crossgaurd. I would also love to fix these, however, I don't believe theres any quick remedy for this. You would probably have to take some fine sandpaper to buff it out completely, though, I wouldn't want to do it. If there was an easy fix for it, I am sure our admin Thorin would know about it, as he knows a lot about sword care.
:cheers:
~wormtongue
Do you have the maniacs, or the schizophrenics, or the astrophysicists in your family?

I believe the TLotR blades are produced with a satin finish. Any fine scratches (not too deep) will simply get you on your way to a mirror polish. If you want, you could actually polish the rest of the blade to a mirror finish.

You could also try to duplicate the satin finish that UC applied. I'm not familiar with satin-finishing techniques myself, but I'm sure Google would turn up something. The main problem with re-applying a satin finish is that because of the scabbard, the scratches will return after a while.

Good suggestions Urambo.

I am not to familiar with the polish as much as the general metal itself. Sandpaper, as Grima was saying, will work. It is most commonly used to take pitting off of all swords, but mainly antiques, should you chose to remove the pitting.

The smaller the scratch, the easier it will be to restore your sword. However, you should take these things into consideration if you follow through. Do not sand the area directly. Sand up and down the blade so that you get a constant surface as opposed to having dips where you sanded off the metal. Larger scratches will take more effort and it may not be worth the hassel.

I do not know what kind of effect sandpaper would have on the overall look of the swords and I do not know what kind of sandpaper you should use. It would be my educated guess to try a very fine grain. If you plan on doing this, let me know and I will do some more research about the grit and the techniques.
Valar morghulis

Return to “Weapon & Armour Care”