Get rust off of my UC LOTR swords?

Ok, I have decided to break out Hadhafang and legos' fighting knives. I did notice they are duller than they used to be and I see some rust on the blades. :'( I was curious as to how I take the rust of without damaging the brushed finish, as well as how I clean these things. I have never been shown the proper steps of sword cleaning. BTW is Metal glo the preferred cleaner or does it only polish? again I do not wish to damage the finish of these swords. Thanks ahead of time for any advice! :thumbs_up
Glamdring, Sting, Hadhafang, Strider sword, Legolas' Fighting knives, Aragorn's elven knife, Herugrim, Gimli's Battle Axe, Gimli's Walking Axe, Gandalf's staff, Saruman's staff, Eowyns sword, Scabbards:Glamdring(blue), Aragorn's ranger sword, Legolas' fighting knives, sting- hope to have alot more!!!

Re: Get rust off of my UC LOTR swords?

Hey there,
This topic has come up before:
http://ucforums.com/showthread.php?t=35 ... light=rust

Read through this thread. I hope it helps.
I'm anti-rust. :angry:

"I coated the blade in sword oil (Hanwei Sword Oil), and let it sit for abit. I then took very fine steel wool, and every 5 minutes or so, I would scrub that one tiny area, then re-coat in the oil, and repeat. It seemed to work. I can't tell if all the rust is removed due to the tiny pit marks from the rust. I'm keeping a close eye on it, and you wouldn't even notice it if you weren't actually looking for it. Also, I'm pretty sure I recieved the sword with this rust damage from the supplier, but it was factory sealed, so when the makers (UC) packaged it, that would have been a finger print from the person who put it in the box. Oh well. Any feedback is appreciated."

thank you! :thumbs_up by the way, you don't happen to know a good place I can get that oil do you?
Glamdring, Sting, Hadhafang, Strider sword, Legolas' Fighting knives, Aragorn's elven knife, Herugrim, Gimli's Battle Axe, Gimli's Walking Axe, Gandalf's staff, Saruman's staff, Eowyns sword, Scabbards:Glamdring(blue), Aragorn's ranger sword, Legolas' fighting knives, sting- hope to have alot more!!!

Re: The Sword of Samwise (Museum Collection) Review and Photos

[quote=""Striders_Heir""]I'm still torn between picking up the "MC" version or the nice shiny one. It seems redundant to get both but who knows? Now I just need to get in contact with Derek about getting one at the end of the month.
Once again Nice Job Ed[/quote]

Well whichever one you go for remember to post pics.

Also a question for sword e xp erts. By accident the other week I took all of the oil of the blade. (Can't forgive myself for doing it) And it started to rust. Why is it rusting when its supposed to be stainless steel??? Anyways I've put another oil on now and it seems fine. Finally got it up on the wall with my two eragon swords.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Wait, your UC Sam sword started to rust? Never in a million years :huh:

Well I'm not going to go THAT far, but from someone with plenty of blades that require frequent maintenance, my LOTR blades are the LAST to get any regular attention from me, being stainless. I don't think I've oiled them in over two years and I've never spotted a speck of rust. Stainless does rust, yes. But for the life of me, I can't seem to get mine to, and I'm practically asking for it.

When you said it seems fine, is that because it's no longer increasing, or did you wipe it off entirely? If it's red, it's still working. If it's gray or black, it's dead and the damage is done, if it disappeared entirely, well... I'd bet a hundred it wasn't rust.
-_-

Hye sedhal. I'll try. My camera isn't picking up things like that for some reason. I'll describe them to you and try and get some pics up by the weekend.

Ok. I noticed that brown marks had started to form around the blade. At first i just thought they were marks of my hands but when i tried to rub them away they wouldn't move. So my friend who has dealt with swords before said that it was startng to rust. it may do the same with sam's sword. They are like little brown marks that form in clumps and are on different parts of the blade. sometimes they almost look like fingerprints. They have stopped forming now as I have been using a little tube of oil and that seems to had done the trick. However this tube wont last long.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

I guess it depends how much you handle it. If you clean it and put a coating on, it will most likely protect it for a looong time so long as it stays on there and you don't wipe it off. I would think it's a little overboard to use Renaissance wax for these stainless blades, but if yours is obviously rusting, then you might try ordering some of that. Personally, for my stainless stuff, I use WD-40. Like I said, I last sprayed them over two years ago and they're fine (though they've been going relatively untouched in that time). You never want to use WD-40 on anything other than stainless though... but I almost feel uncomfortable telling you to use it, just knowing that your blade is already rusting for some odd reason. Do you handle the blade itself frequently? If so, just be sure to get a soft cloth and wipe it down afterwards, applying some Ren wax or sword oil in-between handling it. So set aside the fact that it should be more resistant to this type of thing (as it's proven not to be) and treat it like a carbon steel blade.
-_-

All this talk of rust and I had to go check out a few of my blades because they've been packed for so long. So far no rust but I'm gonna check a few more.
Personally I think keeping them waxed or oiled regularly is a good idea.
Eg13, if you completely lost the finish on your Witch King Dagger you might want to look back on that thread (UC witchking dagger - in LOTR) for some ideas I posted when I got mine. Of course I recommend you read some of the comments made so that you are thoroughly confused. I think you'll find some have had a change of mind since then.
Last edited by Thranduil on Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Weapon & Armour Care”