Re: Leather grip care

[quote=""samwise""]Would Kiwi [brand] clear shoe wax work? (Seriously, and no offense intended toward our NZ brethren.. and sistren too.)[/quote]

In my e xp erience, they don't mind being called Kiwi's at all, though Curunir can correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

My question for you is, are you e xp eriencing problems with your leather grips, or is this merely preventive maintenance? I live in a fairly wet climate so I can't report any issues with mine, but perhaps the reason there are no threads about it is because there haven't been any issues? I don't know if UC did anything to treat their grips (assuming you are talking about a United Cutlery sword,) but I do know the blades and even some helms came with a coating of oil on them already.

Anyone have more information? If not, then a can of spray-on leather protector from a shoe store might do the job, though that stuff typically protects against moisture, not lack thereof. :huh:
This Space for Rent

well samwise ,seems like there is no truble, to ceab the blades out of rust,orther then the leather isue.
.go to to the nerest HD shop in your area,and they will have all the prober needs ,produkts.to take care of the the leather isue.
it might come in a gell form hehe.

Isn't microcrystalline Ren wax safe to use on leather? As far as I know museums basically coat anything in it. Wood, leather, steel, etc.

Reading the back of mine: protects furniture, leather, paintings, metals, marble, ivory, etc.

But be careful about using some leather products if it's a UC LOTR sword for example, or any grip not wet-wrapped. It could over-moisturize it and cause wrinkling or a loose(er) fit.
-_-

Yep, there have been definite reported problems with some of the wooden handles, most notably Strider's Elven Hunting Knife, and Hadhafang. There are likely natural imperfections in the wood that become exacerbated by ambient heat and dryness in the air, as you said. It's been noted that these items should not be displayed over household fixtures that radiate heat, such as a tv set or a fireplace. Contrary to this advice, I have had both those blades (among others) over my fireplace for next to five years and have not had any issues. This isn't to say it can't happen, but maybe I just got lucky with having two better than average pieces of wood on those two respective handles.
This Space for Rent

Just don't call a Kiwi an Aussie (I had to say it, watched Death Proof today. Anyone? :) )

You bring up a good point, Val. It leads me to believe Indy's fridge of choice was perhaps coated in a layer of renaissance wax, then? :P *composes letter to mythbusters*
-_-

Return to “Weapon & Armour Care”