Metal Glo vs Renaissance Wax

How do these two products compare in terms of their cleaning, polishing, and protecting abilities? The only difference I know is that Renaissance Wax can also be used on leather and wood. Can anyone comment on using Renaissance Wax on scabbards and handles? In general, most of my swords are in great condition, but a few pieces are starting to tarnish. How well does Metal Glo remove tarnish and oxidation? Thanks.

Re: Metal Glo vs Renaissance Wax

Hi FOTR, firstly you really cannot compare Ren Wax and Metal glo, as they are both used for different reasons. Metal Glo is used to clean and polish, but not to protect, and any remnants of the paste should be wiped off whatever it is you are cleaning. It works fairly well, obviously, if you have a rust spot, it wont take it off completely. Ren Wax is used to protect the blade, and yes, it can also be used on wood and leather (among other things), however, it is recommended that you test it out by rubbing a little on a small area first. I know I used it on a lighter colored leather once, and a few sections/spots of the leather (oddly) became discolored/stained. I have however, had no problems with the leather from any of my LOTR swords/scabbards. Hope this info is helpful to you.
Last edited by Grima Wormtongue on Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you have the maniacs, or the schizophrenics, or the astrophysicists in your family?

Return to “Weapon & Armour Care”