Please Help!

bought a museum collection Sting for my partner's birthday a few months ago. It was a big deal for him and he was super thrilled by it.

Sadly, only about a month after he got it, one of our friends handled it with something on his hands and now the blade is damaged. We didn't realize it till it was too late and cleaning doesn't seem to make a dent to it. I'm really not sure what kind of damage it is, but I've attached a photo for everyone to have a look.

My partner was devastated when he saw what had happened and I'd really like to fix it for him, so please, does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this? We thought about taking it in to a jeweler and having them buff it, please let me know if that would be a terrible idea or not.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Re: Please Help!

Probably rust.

You can use metal glo to try to buff out the rust. Use it in small amounts and buff it out using a cotton bud first on small areas. If the rust is not that deep, this will be more than enough to lift the rust off the surface.

But if the rust is deep, the you might have to use more metal glo and a cleaning cloth and give it a good rub. But be careful though, this may cause a noticeable change to the finish of the blade.

When you remove rust, you are removing metal so you will be changing the blades finish. So try a little bit before increasing it.

Once you buff it out with metal glo, if ur very particular about taking care of your swords like me, you may want to clean the sword with 100% isopropanol to ensure no trade for rust is still sitting on the blade. Then follow it up with oil or renaissance wax,

Yup, I'd give the same advice. Aragorn is a good hand with swords, he knows his stuff! That renaissance wax should help keep your blade clean pretty well after you've cleaned it up. Good luck! :thumbs_up
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Aragorn""]Once you buff it out with metal glo, if ur very particular about taking care of your swords like me, you may want to clean the sword with 100% isopropanol to ensure no trade for rust is still sitting on the blade. Then follow it up with oil or renaissance wax,[/quote]

Along the same lines as chanceofrust, I live in a really humid place so I'm afraid of rust. I got UC's chojil oil to coat my blades, is there something else you recommend? Do you treat the antique finishes and leather as well? Thanks!

[quote=""Nerdanel""]Along the same lines as chanceofrust, I live in a really humid place so I'm afraid of rust. I got UC's chojil oil to coat my blades, is there something else you recommend? Do you treat the antique finishes and leather as well? Thanks![/quote]

Choji oil is fantastic for keeping metal from rusting. Really anything that will stick to the metal, won't react to it, and is thick enough to keep any air from coming in contact with it will work fine. Really the only downside to oil is that dust likes to stick to it, but it's so easy to reapply it's almost a non-issue.

The antique finishes on all of UC's products are coats of pretty darn tough varnish, so I'd say you don't have to worry about those, although it's certainly not harmful if you oil or wax those parts as well.

For leather in a moist environment.... darn it, wish I knew more about that.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

[quote=""Jamanticus""]The antique finishes on all of UC's products are coats of pretty darn tough varnish, so I'd say you don't have to worry about those, although it's certainly not harmful if you oil or wax those parts as well.

For leather in a moist environment.... darn it, wish I knew more about that.[/quote]

Appreciate the help! If you think of any tips for the leather, I'd love to hear them. I just don't want the wraps to rot, which I've heard they can? Maybe ren wax would work for this?

[quote=""Nerdanel""]Appreciate the help! If you think of any tips for the leather, I'd love to hear them. I just don't want the wraps to rot, which I've heard they can? Maybe ren wax would work for this?[/quote]
Ren wax would probably be fine. Johnson's paste wax has always had leather on its list of uses.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

I had someone ask me this question on the Flame as well...told him to ask ed, since I wasn't sure. Ren Wax is also good for the leather on handles? I'll keep that in mind. Seems to be the miracle cure.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Jamanticus""]
The antique finishes on all of UC's products are coats of pretty darn tough varnish, so I'd say you don't have to worry about those, although it's certainly not harmful if you oil or wax those parts as well.
[/quote]

Thanks for that Jaman :) I might apply some to the guards and pommels of my swords. Do you think it would be fine if I also applied it to handles such as Sting's? I've read that some people have had problems where the silver vine pattern is starting to rub off. I don't own Sting yet, but I'm wanting to get it and I don't want to have the same problem.

And like Nerdanel asked, how do you apply this? I was thinking maybes with a clean sponge or cloth would do but I wanna know what you lot use.
Last edited by Lindir on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

A soft cloth of any kind is my go-to applicator for wax. Easy to rub it around with, and it won't leave bits of itself behind while applying it :thumbs_up

And yep, using it on Sting's handle should be alright as long as you're gentle when rubbing it in. I'd almost think that on an area like that where the silver sometimes can come off, you might be better off using a satin finish spray-on clear coat, that would be a lot more durable than the wax coating.
Last edited by Jamanticus on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

Return to “Weapon & Armour Care”