Re: Swords from Eragon the Movie

Well, it makes sense to me. I guess that is what really matters. I like the LoTR swords because they are more historically accurate and they don't incorporate all of those random bits. There actually isn't much that I would deem "fantasy" in the LoTR blades. They are very well done.

As for the Eragon sword... well it's not one of my favourites and in terms of it being in a fantasy genre, I agree, they could have done a lot more for it and made a great sword. Hell, even the other swords that they have put out don't really stand up to many of the others. What it comes down to is, as you said, personal preference.
Valar morghulis

Ellesair_King, if you are looking for a good quality fantasy sword of some kind or a sword in General, I suggest you take a look at some of Kit Rae's swords and daggers. They are probably some of the best out there. They were made by United Cutlery as well, so I am not sure what supplies are like for those either, but its worth a look. They come around $100(USD) or less depending on where you go.

You might still be able to find the LoTR swords from some webstores. I know a lot of them are selling out now and due to UC's bankruptcy, there will be no more. That said, they are still fairly e xp ensive... probably around the $200(USD) or more... again, depending on where you go.

Cheers!
Valar morghulis

Maybe we are having communication problems

No acorn,i woulden´t consider it as a problem ,maby more like a little misunderstanding ;)
i thought it was about eragon swords and not lotr swords .

but then again 700 bucks for a stainless steel sword ,is way to much .
i have seen the uc elven war sword , up for sale at a price like 1200 $ ,a ridicules price.its not like it is made of high carbon spring steel .come on man,who would bye a stainless sword for a price like that :crazy2: .

I've never read the book, but I did see the movie last night. While I didn't despise it, I have to say it has very little to commend itself. The movie tries SO hard to be LOTR, and the director tried SO hard to be PJ and his swooping camera movies, but the whole thing just plays like a 10th-rate imitation of LOTR. I did like the dragon when she was relatively static, but when she was flying she looked pretty effectsy, and the closeups when Eragon was riding her looked very blue-screeny.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

My apologies if I offend anyone here but I think these Eragon swords are ugly... Hideous would be an understatement. I too have seen the film and the part that disappointed me the most was knowing I'd never get the time I waisted watching it back... Harsh, i know. The only blade that somewhat captured my attention was Arya's, and I would not consider purchasing it. They all look SO cheesy! Over the top fantasy swords just do not appeal to me at all... I find them to be very tacky and gaudy.
Last edited by Balrog Obliterator on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yea, Ted, that was Kit Rae's Kilgorin sword. I own probably 10 or more Kit Rae's fantasy blades (swords and daggers) from his Swords of the Ancients Collection. Albeit, some of his designs do not appeal to some people, but his creativity, for me personally is fantastic. Not only that, he has also written a VAST detailed backstory for all of the Swords of the Ancients, i have read most of it and it would be a FANTASTIC book series, not to mention his art posters that come with his blades.

Sorry to sound like I am on the Kit Rae bandwagon, but I like his work... but some people dont like the fantasy blades... some are not very functional, but i see his work as art.

He has also designed lots of movie swords and daggers, as well was the person at UC who pretty much oversaw the LOTR production.

I am sure Kit wouldnt be offended, I am sure lots of peopel havent liked his work in the past, but you he does come by the forums every once in a while and give us an update as to what is going on
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

LoL
I think most of us started off with wall hangers, Ted... i know i sure did. In fact, my 2nd and 3rd sword were from the Kit Rae collection... I still like all my swords - like children - just my taste has changed over the years.

It still bugs me why it was decided to let Master Cutlery make the Eragon swords?!? Then again, it also begs the question - if say, for example, United Cutlery or even Museum Replicas obtained the rights...would the swords of turned out better???

I'm sorry...that's not exactly what i meant.
I agree with you 100% Ted, that if you don't like a design, you just don't like a design. And i am another to add to the list of "not impressed with the design on the Eragon Swords"...lol.

But what i meant was, given the design, would a different company of made the sword a bit more appealing to the general public? Now to be honest, i've never seen on of these swords upclose, so all just based on what i've heard from other people. As you gave the LOTR example before...imagine comparing one of those swords to one of the (too many to count nowadays) cheap imitations. Same design..but i've held some of those imitations, and they just are not as nice as the UC version. Another huge example that comes to my mind, eventhough a bit extreme, are the Conan swords; comparing the Albions to the Marto versions.

Anyways...guess it doesn't matter...too late! lol
Just wanted to provoke some discussion on these forums!

lol
Congrats Steel Servant!
For me too..the sword of Brom was the only one that held any potential...but that "Master Cutlery" issue is still more than enough to stop me! Then again, it's nice to know that they are upping their quality!
In fact, does anyone know if they've put out any other "European" type swords since Eragon?

The only other movie replica to come out is the Limited Edition Prop Replica of Tristan's Sword from Stardust. It's due out sometime in the spring and is being advertised as...

• One of the Finest Replica Swords Ever Forged
• Tempered High Carbon Steel
• Full Tang Construction
• Perfectly Balanced and Oh So Fun to Hold
• Limited Edition of 1,000 (with Certificate of Authenticity)

I personally think it has a cool design and can definitely see it as a potential collection addition.

Oh yeah...Masahiro and Ryumon for the most part. Maybe even a few others (haven't checked their catalogue in about a year). I own 1 of each...really nice peices for the price! Forged, carbon steel sharpened katanas...but as you said Steel, only distributed, and not a Master made product.

But, huh, Master's going into tempered carbon full tang European swords.......? If that's the case....looks like the competition amongst sword companies is going to get more fierce!

Return to “Movie Weapons”