Re: Prince of Persia replicas

Well, they both certainly look pretty.

I may have to get that Dagger of Time, if for no other reason (bother that nonsense of a film... unless it turns out to be good and pigs start flying by my house) than reversing time with it in Sands of Time was one of the most fun game mechanics I've ever played with.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

.....better than Robin Hood.

You know, I can tell you right now I know what Robin Hood's shortcomings are, and I know what this movie's are. No way in hell would this flick be better than anything Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe are a part of, I don't care HOW bad it gets.

That dagger looks like crap, too. Not a bit surprised. :)
-_-

Prince of Persia looks bad. There was a pretty lengthy trailer for it when I went to see Iron Man the other day, and it made me glad I was never a fan of the trilogy of games that this film is based off of. I wish someone would realise that what works in games, has failed to work on screen for the same reasons, after how many attempts? I'm still mourning the onscreen death of Agent 47 :|

Well I haven't played any of the games but the film seems to have an interesting storyline. But Jerry Bruckheimer has said that they had to change the story so it could work as a film. So at least they haven't attempted to copy it straight from game into a film.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Well I am going to try and create an area specifically for prince of persia items. I was thinking that the dagger could be my centre piece. I'll have to see what room I have left though.

I wonder if that is real sand in the handle or if its just some sort of simulated material

I'm going to pass on those. A little too cheesy for my taste. I always hate when they make decorative blades from cast metal, which is what they did on the dagger. Too much like a toy. I guess it is too difficult and cost prohibitive to etch that much decoration on a stainless or real carbon steel blade. On the sword, they tried to make it look aged or used by cutting nics in the blade edge, but then kept all the rest clean and pristine. Just doesn't look right. But, that just my opinion and taste.
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

Haven't seen the movie yet. But one reason i was looking foward to it was with the hope of new Persian-style weapons being released... When i saw that UC was the company producing the replicas - i had a little stomachache... Then when i saw that they went back to using stainless steel for the blades, and a (in my opinion) could-be-better weathering job....my stomach felt worse...lol. Usually i could accept the fact that UC was coming out with SS replicas...but i guess times are a changin'....
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Yeh I wish they had used carbon steel on the blades. However I emailed them asking about a hand forged carbon steel edition and they said they currently had no plans but would put my email on record for their upcoming products and they told me that they may do it eventually.

Haven't seen the movie yet, was supposed to last weekend, but never got around to it. I'm also a bit reluctant, as I heard nothing about it, until the movie poster popped up in front of the cinema. And when I hear nothing about a movie, it's usually not a big movie. So I don't know. Has any of you guys seen it?

For the weapons, I don't know. Don't like the dagger, that's for sure. Shape looks good and everything, minus the handle, but the colors just looks wrong.

I've got mixed feelings about the sword. First off, the pommel doesn't fit with the hilt, and that's never good. Looks like parts from a different sword. The "wood" on the handle also looks like plastic. Then there is the blade. The general shape of it just looks weird. The black paint, with the yellow/golden pattern on it, just looks too new, and something you could find on a stylized hunter knife. And then there is possibly the worst part, how the edge continues over the tip, and just stops. looks horrible. The damaged edge looks great. But toghether with the all over "new and mass produced" look of the sword, it just makes the sword a thousand times worse. Scratch the mixed feelings part, the whole sword really looks horrible.

Also, I'm quite pissed with whoever made this sword for calling it a shamshir. It's not a blasted shamshir. Hilt may remind of one, but that blade is way too wide, not curved enough, and not long enough. It's like calling the sword Jamanticus bought a katana, because it has a blade that can remind of one.
Last edited by Darlak on Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

so im not too sure about the dagger. the gold looks to shiny and fake and they say "translucent quartz-like" for the glass housing the sands..... does that translate to cheap molded plastic? also is there actually sand in there or just some sand sealed in plastic or neither. "ruby accented jewel" - *** is that mate - another excuse for plastic!? anyway my opinion is that it could just look 10000X better than they did - blade, hilt, everything. but those are just from the official photos. perhaps it looks better in real life.
http://www.pegasuswd.com/

I doubt the "sand" is actually loose in the handle. If you notice, every picture shows it settled in the same position, even when laying horizontally. I'm sure that is plastic in the handle itself.

They do state "hardwood" handle for the sword, but then again, UC stated that the Sword of Isildur was going to have a genuine leather wrapped handle, then they slapped a rubber handle on it. That was one of the saddest and most pathetic cheap moves I've seen from UC.
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

hmmm. Its a pitty to see such a good company cutting corners. They have been known for their high quality replicas in the past. But I suppose in the current economic climate its all they can do.
Last edited by Lindir on Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Darlak""] The damaged edge looks great. But toghether with the all over "new and mass produced" look of the sword, it just makes the sword a thousand times worse.[/quote]
This!

The fatal flaw in so many of UC's LotR weapon replicas as well. I mean, if you're going to do something as drastic as simulated blade damage with Dastan's sword, you had better make the rest of the sword reflect that level of weathering, or it completely ruins the entire effect.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

Computer generated? Why would you think that? Pretty sure it's the actual product.

They did just the same thing with the witch king sword, and the witch king dagger. All shiny and all bashed up parts at the same time. Those are easy enough to fix up though, doubt that will be the case for this one.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

I'm sure they create the replicas as a digital image so they can give it to retailers so they can decide whether they want to stock it Because the images are created long before the final product is churned out. I'm sure kit rae said that for isildur's sword that it was computer generated image displayed on the box.

They may have changed it though. I know the old UC used computer generate images on the boxes. Kit rae even said that they did.
Last edited by Lindir on Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Oh. Well I know for sure that they create prototypes. You might be right though, but it seems somehwta strange

I agree with Elvenguard. I know of several recent releases that UC used CG images before the actual product release. The images of the cheesy looking GI Joe Katanas found on the UC website are CG, and looking closely at the Prince of Persia weapons photos, I'm pretty sure those are CG as well.

I never played the video game... But can anyone verify that the weapons used in the Movie have any resemblance to the ones from the video game? I did a few searches online, but i found some that somewhat looked like the movie props, and other pics that were way off... Did the weapons change from game to game? Not that it matters to me, just curious...
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Here is a photo of the actual dagger of time replica. Looks amazing, the only thing I'm not to keen on is the sand in the handle, I hope it moves around as you turn the dagger (please don't just be painted on!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I thought the film was decent. Not great, but a fun adventure film. It was much better than what most of the reviews I saw made it out to be.

It is real sand in the clear grip. The only thing I don't care for is that is that there is a visible seam on the top and bottom. You can't see it at the angle of this photo, but it is obvious when holding in your hand. Filling the grip with sand was a last minute change requested by Disney, after tooling was almost halfway complete. It required a quick tooling change to make it hollow, so there was no time to come up with a creative way to hide the seams.

The replica is also about 2" shorter than the hero filming prop seen in the film. Apparently Disney had a full sized prop when I started working on the UC replica, but they did not locate it until after the replica was complete.

There were also two very cool looking swords Dastan was supposed to carry that matched the swords on the Warrior Within box art. After UC got the license the film makers ditched these swords and went with the rather plain version in the film.
KRDS

I enjoyed the movie, I have never played the games so I don't know how bad of an adaptation the movie was in the respect. Saying that, it was one of the better video game adaptions that I have seen as far as enjoyability, not in respect to being faithful to the source.

I may even pick up the BD of the movie one day when I see it on sale, I don't think I'd pay the 24.99-29.99 I have seen it for.

I thought about picking up these 2 pieces, maybe, eventually... I got a bare spot on the wall that would be the size for a nice 2 piece set display.

[quote=""Nasnandos""]I thought the film was decent. Not great, but a fun adventure film. It was much better than what most of the reviews I saw made it out to be.[/quote]

I actually really enjoyed it. But thats just me of course. I am hoping to pick up the dagger of time replica some time this year. Did you by any chance get any photos of the sword used by Nizam (Ben Kingsley)?

and the two swords you were talking about actually do appear in the film. He uses them at the beginning during the siege of Alamut. I would have liked those swords to be produced, but I dont know if there is any chance
Last edited by Lindir on Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

I found Prince of Persia fun to watch. I don't think Disney or Buckhiemer intended to get Academy nominations, I think they intended to entertain, and I'd say they did just that.

Sometimes (most times), a film is intended to simply entertain. I find a lot of reviews of, shoulda, woulda, coulda, to be as pointless as those who spew them from their mouths.

I'd like to thank Mr. Rea for continuing to share the marketing vs. manufacturing aspects of his business and the enlightenment it always offers to us all :thumbs_up
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Return to “Movie Weapons”