Re: Limited Edition Museum Collection Glamdring

Finally, 0241 in my little atlantic Island ^_^ Wanna see real cool pics?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/ ... 33dbfd.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/ ... 4e1c17.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/ ... cf0368.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/ ... 889c18.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/ ... 169dc2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/ ... bb72f9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/ ... 528aa9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/ ... 68abe4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/ ... 206ae2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/ ... 57b322.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/ ... 8b7df5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/ ... 94af00.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/ ... dffc0d.jpg
MY REALLY NICE COLLECTION
  • Customed Bracers of Gondor 1/1 - Museum Collection Maegnas 0364/3000 - Limited Edition Helm of Sauron 0176/3000 - Museum Collection Glamdring 0241/1000 - Glamdring White Scabbard - Maegnas Scabbard - Herugrim Sword - Eowyn Sword - Walking Axe of Gimli

105 in France.
UC Sting ; UC Sting Scabbard ; UC Glamdring ; UC Narsil ; UC Shards of Narsil (2735/5000) ; UC MC Sting (323/3000) ; UC MC Glamdring (105/1000) ; UC Anduril UE + scabbard ; UC Herugrim ; UC Uruk-Hai Scimitar ; Kropserkel Gondorian Vambraces ; IndyProps Redbook of Westmarch ; IndyProps Thror's Map ; NC Crown of Elessar ; NC Evenstar ; NC Phial of Galadriel ; MR The One Ring of Sauron 1887/2500 ; Danbury Minas Tirith & Barad Dur ; Knife of Sharkû the warg rider; The Sauron sized One Ring ; Albion Armorers Conan's Atlantean Sword (61/1000)
my props collection : http://www.yourprops.com/view_items.php ... e=oldtobby

am.dk wrote:year elendoril,that is weard 2 of each,he must be a milionare ore something.sorry to get of the limited nr topic.but this is strange :confused:

I can't speak for THE WITCHKING'S BREW, but if you have enough money, this could be interesting to buy limited edition items twice in order to speculate ont the value of one of them years later when the collection is completely sold out and hard to find (I've done this on the Samaritan replica of Hellboy last year :p )
UC Sting ; UC Sting Scabbard ; UC Glamdring ; UC Narsil ; UC Shards of Narsil (2735/5000) ; UC MC Sting (323/3000) ; UC MC Glamdring (105/1000) ; UC Anduril UE + scabbard ; UC Herugrim ; UC Uruk-Hai Scimitar ; Kropserkel Gondorian Vambraces ; IndyProps Redbook of Westmarch ; IndyProps Thror's Map ; NC Crown of Elessar ; NC Evenstar ; NC Phial of Galadriel ; MR The One Ring of Sauron 1887/2500 ; Danbury Minas Tirith & Barad Dur ; Knife of Sharkû the warg rider; The Sauron sized One Ring ; Albion Armorers Conan's Atlantean Sword (61/1000)
my props collection : http://www.yourprops.com/view_items.php ... e=oldtobby

[quote=""RevAnakin""]Alright, just a quick question. Have any of you actually bent the sword to test if it is real spring high carbon steel? Or any other tests to know? Thanks so much.[/quote]
Not really interested in trying to bend one of my swords but I can give you these facts.
My current project requires Stainless Steel. I'm using 300 series (316 specifically) which is more bendable with LESS spring back than 400 series. The 316 springs back and in order to actually bend it, it is necessary to over bend so that when it does spring back, it doesn't spring back too much.
I'm wondering if I should rephrase that. Let me know if you understand.
400 series SS would be harder to bend because it would spring back more. :coolsmile

[quote=""RevAnakin""]All I know is if you watch the bonus features on the EE talking about the making of the swords, you can clearly see Lyon bending Boromir's Spring Steel sword to quite an extent. If UC is claiming their Museum replicas are exactly like the movie replicas (hence the price) then it should bend. I was just wondering if the quality was truly up to what they said.[/quote]

Forgive my ignorance...but I have a few questions for anyone in the know.

I thought the museum collection swords were more meant to be battle-ready and a -real- sword, rather than a "wall hanger". That being said, are the props used in the movie considered to be battle ready? That seems a little...unsafe to me, considering the moves that they do with them. I mean, a wall hanger can kill you just as much as a battle-ready sword...but still...there's probably a better chance of a rat-tail style sword to break rather than lop a limb off. Not to mention that a sword being sharp for a movie seems unnecessary...

So I guess the question is, what are the exact classifications of the props and the museum collection swords...?

Well, I don't know about the similarities in functionality between swords used in the movies and the MC versions UC puts out, but I do know that there were at least two types of props used in filming.

The first type was just that, a prop. This would be a non-functional, non-sharpened, and often not quite as detailed weapon used for large combat scenes, mainly for extras, but also for some of the cast where they were far enough away from the camera and the action was too quick for precise details to be gleaned. In some cases, these weapons weren't even made out of metal, but wood and/or polyurethane in order to ensure the safety of all on the set.

The second type was called a hero weapon. This was the version constructed out of the appropriate materials for whatever weapon type it was meant to represent, and about as functional as one would dare call something used in a movie and still technically a prop, not a weapon forged and made for true combat. The hero version was meant for use in closeup shots, where the audience really gets a good look at it and it has to stand up to scrutiny in all the detailing and tooling. I still doubt these were sharpened as it likely be forbidden due to safety and legal issues. A now famous story about these different versions is how Vigo Mortensen liked the hero version of his ranger sword so much that he took to wearing it around everywhere and insisted on using it even in scenes where the less accurate (and much lighter prop) was called for.

Not sure if that's the answer you were looking for, but it's all I know on the subject.

There are multiple types of swords in movies and here are those in LOTR.

There are "Hero" Swords of weapons which are battle ready weapons (usually false edged). These swords are highly detailed for close ups and gives the actor a sense of a real sword.

There are rubber/plastic swords that usually have an aluminum hilt for when an actor is carrying the weapon in sheath. For example, when Legolas, Aragorn and Gimli are running across Rohan, Gimli most likely had lightweight completely not functional axes.

There is also a variety of lighter weight stunt weapons that most actors use in a fight scene so their arms don't fall off with the real weight of a real sword (Hero sword).

Here is the exception: Viggo carried his Hero sword more than 80some % of the movie. All the fight scenes were done with the Hero sword and most of the running and stuff like that. His reason was this, "I wanted to carry the real sword because in battle, I would not be able to swing a sword around without getting tired." (Paraphrasing) Viggo wanted the audience to see how real his acting was, well because making it seem hard to swing a heavy sword actually not acting lol but you can catch my point.

There are of course many variations on each type I just said but the three main swords used would be Hero (functional), Stunt functional (lighter), and the Protection ones (plastic/rubber) mainly used if someone is falling from a castle wall, the sword will not hurt them.

Does that e xp lain?

So my original question still holding, did UC really make their MC up the the standard of a Hero sword from the movie as they claim?

I'd have to go with Sedhal's answer on this. Short and to the point. The bottom line is that UC is a business, and in order to make a profit, certain compromises have to be made. A fully functional sword to the degree and quality of those which are seen in the movies (hero versions forged by Peter Lyon) would be much more costly than the mass-produced versions that UC puts out, be they limited runs or not. A custom job like that would be in the thousands ($). Just go to Albion's website and have a look at what their Conan swords cost for an idea.

Hey RevAnakin,
If you don't mind - just going to put my $0.02 in for your question regarding the MC Glamdring. There is a lot to consider when giving a sword the status of "battle worthy": steel type, steel temper, handle construction are the 3 big ones (with a ton more if you want to get picky - hence Albions...lol). But in those 3 basic catagories - the MC Glam does have the carbon spring steel. In terms of tempering the blade - i believe UC tried to get this down as well..but i'm sure many of you can remember when Mr. Rae himself told us that UC ran into some problems on blade tempering..to the point where they second guessed the MC in the larger blades. Lastly, the hilt construction is where i'm on the fence - i have tried to twist off my pommel..but it's on there pretty tight...but i am still not 100% sure as to it's actual construcion on the MC lineup.

Is the MC = Hero prop? No.
You can't compare (as Valkrist pointed out) mass produced UC sword to that from a high end custom sword smith. A bulk of the $$$ from the MC Glam goes into the case, the silver plated handle, Italian leather, sapphires, and the LE factor....strip all that away to the bare carbon steel sword...and you'd probably end up with something in the league of a Windlass-type blade.

Should you buy one? Depends.
What do you want it for? If you want a really nice collector piece that looks sweet on the wall -then yes. If you want something that looks like Glamdring to do all the backyard cutting and flex tests - then save up for a custom or future potential offerings.

Sorry for that long=winded reply. But i hope you found something helpfull out of that! lol
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

I've never heard that rule of thumb before, nor am I sure how well it applies. I'd assume the true hero props are numbered less than ten as far as most films are concerned. Hell, look at some old classics where they were lucky to have a single prop to work with.

But are they worth the money? Well, that's what they cost - so yes. Are they really "battle ready"? Probably not. They have carbon steel blades but that doesn't cut it. They're still display pieces at the end of the day. Just nicer ones. Compared to the non-MC ones I'm sure they're leagues better. But for roughly half the price of an Albion, they sure could be better quality-wise. But that's what you get with licensed goods. It's not just a "battle ready" sword, it's a Lord of the Rings "battle ready" sword. And in any event, they aren't being made to smash around onscreen with durability and safety in mind, by one of the most talented smiths in the industry. Look at them this way: much better than non-MC, but crap compared to, say... Albion. It all depends what you want.

And not many people will illegally make you a custom replica either. You can ballpark one, but any copies too close and you run into some problems.
-_-

[quote=""Jash""]Hey RevAnakin,
If you don't mind - just going to put my $0.02 in for your question regarding the MC Glamdring. There is a lot to consider when giving a sword the status of "battle worthy": steel type, steel temper, handle construction are the 3 big ones (with a ton more if you want to get picky - hence Albions...lol). But in those 3 basic catagories - the MC Glam does have the carbon spring steel. In terms of tempering the blade - i believe UC tried to get this down as well..but i'm sure many of you can remember when Mr. Rae himself told us that UC ran into some problems on blade tempering..to the point where they second guessed the MC in the larger blades. Lastly, the hilt construction is where i'm on the fence - i have tried to twist off my pommel..but it's on there pretty tight...but i am still not 100% sure as to it's actual construcion on the MC lineup.

Is the MC = Hero prop? No.
You can't compare (as Valkrist pointed out) mass produced UC sword to that from a high end custom sword smith. A bulk of the $$$ from the MC Glam goes into the case, the silver plated handle, Italian leather, sapphires, and the LE factor....strip all that away to the bare carbon steel sword...and you'd probably end up with something in the league of a Windlass-type blade.

Should you buy one? Depends.
What do you want it for? If you want a really nice collector piece that looks sweet on the wall -then yes. If you want something that looks like Glamdring to do all the backyard cutting and flex tests - then save up for a custom or future potential offerings.

Sorry for that long=winded reply. But i hope you found something helpfull out of that! lol[/quote]

Or I could have just waited a minute and quoted this ^ ;)
-_-

[quote=""Jash""]Should you buy one? Depends.
[/quote]

Let me clarify, I have this obsession with functionality, BUT this does not mean I am going to go take a beautiful piece of art and cut trees down in my back yard. I am just questioning the craftsmanship.

When it comes to multiple copies of props, if you watch the bonus costume scene in EE of FOTR, it specifically talks about how many copies of costumes they had to make. Similarly, one can see all the different copies of weapons in the shop throughout all the bonus scenes.

Yeah I've watched 'em. But we were referring to hero props in particular, not aluminum copies or clothing.

Jash never implied that you'd go cut down trees in your backyard. In fact, cutting in one's backyard doesn't imply cutting down trees either. Many practitioners cut in their backyards. Now, cutting what with what is the concern here. And the craftsmanship was certainly in question. Wouldn't you say that a blade's cutting ability has a lot to do with craftsmanship?
-_-

I completely agree that the blades cutting ability is what I do want. I just wanted to clarify that even if I got a functional sword I would not use it in a destructive manner. I understand what you are saying about cutting things in the back yard. My main point is that I like to practice different forms with different swords, I personally would like it if someone would make hero copies of the movie swords, so we can all feel that perfect craftsmanship. Hence why I was wondering if MC came close.

[quote=""Dark Shdow""]Hi Everyone,

I'm looking voor this sword for a very long time ago.

Is there enyone who can help me on this one please. :'(

If you know somebody who want to sell it please let me know.

I look every day on the internet and ebay. :(

Here is my personal email address: noppe.johnny@telenet.be

I'm from Belgium.

Greetings and many thanks to all off you. :thumbs_up

Johnny.[/quote]

One for sale on our very own forum:

http://www.ucforums.com/showthread.php?t=4803

Return to “Limited Edition Numbers”