Walking Sticks

Now. I don't know if anyone remembers, or if I even made a post about this before, but as of last year I have been into making walking sticks and staffs. Why? I found a wonderful, long, and solid stick that I thought would make the perfect walking stick.

Since then, I have collected 3 or 4 other pieces of wood and have also turned them into my creations. My first, though, still remains my favourite and my most decorated. I will post pictures later. I carved 4 bear paws onto the top of the staff and I also made a little engraving for my initials. I am still playing around with it, but I painted the paws black so that they would stand out. I have to stain the wood once more, especially where the paint went on.

The second stick I found was actually a dead tree that as I was walking by noticed that it had left a unique ball on the bottom or the top, depending on which way you look at it. I have since drilled a hole through it and I have found a round stone that will sit on the bottom and I am still looking for a crystalized rock to fit on the top. I will also post pictures of this one.

The next one was fairly simple. Instead of sanding off the bark and making it smooth, I simply stripped the bark, cut it to length, and stained it. I have to stain it once more because the first coat was un-even, but I am quite impressed by the look of it, even though it is fairly simple. It really does have a nice grip to it.

I would have to say that there are two enjoyable stages in this kind of craft. First, finding a unique stick lying in the woods is a great feeling. 'What should I do with it?' 'Should I carve it? Stain it? Paint it?' Oh so many ideas! The next is the finshed product. Being completely satisfied about what you have just accomplished, even if you are never going to use it. :thumbs_up

Anyone else into this kind of craft?
Valar morghulis

Re: Walking Sticks

I've always been intrigued by the idea of walking sticks, but have never actually figured out if/how useful they are in practice. Most of the places I hike have level, easily navigable trails. And those that don't, well, I don't know that a stick would help. But I often see people using them in nature areas.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Re: Walking Sticks

After my fake Witchking sword broke (see this thread), I used the pommel for a homemade walking stick.

I took an e xp andable (3'-6') aluminium brush handle, cut off the threads that attached the brush-head, and attached a 5/16" nut. I epoxied the nut in the end of the shaft to accept a threaded rod, which screwed into the pommel I would use for the head. I found a rubber foot (like the kind used on canes and walkers) and glued it on the other end.

At first I used the pommel from the fake Witchking sword, but I've been e xp irementing with other pommels. Lately, I used the pommel from a fake Rhindon (Narnia) sword. You'll notice the fake Rhindon is a silver colour rather than a gold colour. It still looks good, though.

Here are some pics:

38" collapsed
72" extended
fake Witchking head
fake Rhindon head
Last edited by Urambo Tauro on Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Armoury Conversations”