What's Your Favourite Weapon?

Inspired by Gnomelord! We haven't had one of these threads for a while and because the holidays are coming up, it might be fun to start one up again.

What is/are your favourite(s) weapon? Post pictures if you have them!

I'll start. My favourite weapon is my Crecy for obvious reasons. It was my first functional sword and it feels perfect in my hands. I remember when I held the one at the Albion shop and I felt like I was ready to walk out with it. I love the lines and I love the type- a bastard sword... or a hand and a half if you will.

photopost/data/500/medium/crecy_003.jpg
photopost/data/500/medium/crecy_001.jpg

My other favourite weapon and probably long time favourite has been Frostmourne from Warcraft 3. I was laughed at by people several years ago when I announced my thoughts about the sword and now look... they are making it and I will probably pick one up! Its so outrageous too! I'm waiting on some high resolution pictures... i'll post those as soon as I get them.

Next?
Last edited by Thorin on Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valar morghulis

Re: What's Your Favourite Weapon?

I would probably recommend not to, simply because they aren't properly balanced or weighted and such practice might cause some bad habits to develop, where a real sword would give you much different feedback - Potentially ending in physical harm. It's like the difference between a baseball bat and a fishing rod. The UC swords have even been known to break at the tang due to some casual swinging so keep that in mind. It's not just the steel, it's the whole construction of it. Good luck though.
-_-

Thank you for telling me about the tang break. I haven't heard of that yet. I still wonder why in the world can UC charge the ridiculously high prices they do for nice looking but not well made swords when others can make fully functional swords that look great but just aren't from a movie. Well, I definitely won't be swinging around any of my UC stuff anymore.

I guess the main reason why I mix styles and swords is because it is as Bruce Lee said that though something is to be said about tradition, every person is different and the most effective style of fighting has to be chosen by the artist performing even if that requires the mixing of two or more arts. :)

Well considering the prices of UC's stuff, I wouldn't say (their LOTR line anyway) is "ridiculously" high. It's all relative. It's not like you'll get a good sword for 100 bucks anyway. Compare it to an Albion - UC is suddenly not e xp ensive.
And I doubt Bruce Lee was referring to weapons made for a particular use (and poorly done at that). IE: Display European blades vs. functional Tai Chi equipment. It's not really the mixing of multiple arts so much as using a toy hammer to saw a board in half. I'd assume the most effective style would be that which the weapon in question was intended for.
Last edited by Sedhal on Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-_-

[quote=""RevAnakin""]I still wonder why in the world can UC charge the ridiculously high prices they do for nice looking but not well made swords when others can make fully functional swords that look great but just aren't from a movie.[/quote]

Well there's your answer; ever thought about movie license costs?

And (apart from limited edition pieces), it's tough for me to understand whats
"ridiculous" or "e xp ensive" in $120-150 great prop look-a-like swords.

Regarding Sedhal's comment about Bruce Lee. I completely understand that there is a huge difference between functionality and prop replica, and by NO means was I saying that using a UC Strider sword in battle was practical. I wanted to just clearly state that I like how Strider sword looks and feels AND that if there was a functional version of it, that I would use a spiraling Eastern sword form.

On the note from ed209, from most places where can we find UC LOTR stuff for $120-150 without it being on sale. Most places charge $170 and up for brand new stuff, unless you go to a fleemarket or bidding place and snag a deal. I know of plenty of functional swords that are made out of high carbon steel that one can use that cost that range from $110-of course the $500 price point. I was saying that I think that these swords a overpriced many times (hence why I wait logn periods of time to find the perfect deal, like my Boromir Sword, brand new $90) because most places charge $170+ for these swords that everyone has agreed breaks when sometimes just swung. Trust me the license probably cost UC a fortune and that is clearly why, but I think they could have contructed them better for the price.

Sorry to the Administrators for going off topic.

It's still not a question of functionality so much as the licensing and demand, as ed has pointed out. And besides, a lot of the "functional carbon steel" swords you're seeing for that price range are crap, I'm afraid to say. I'd bet Windlass is the best you'll find for that price and they don't even hold a candle to Albion. Nor are they making their blades from popular licensed movie props.

"if there was a functional version of it, that I would use a spiraling Eastern sword form."

Right but that's not really mixing styles so much as using the wrong style for a specific weapon. I can't see what advantage one would have over using the weapon for anything else than was intended when designed and perfected over many years. The blade dimensions, construction of the sword, and balance are not fit for such arts. And that's ignoring the fact that -if it were functional- it would "feel" completely different in the first place. So what you are feeling now is inaccurate.
-_-

[quote=""Sedhal""]It's still not a question of functionality so much as the licensing and demand, as ed has pointed out. And besides, a lot of the "functional carbon steel" swords you're seeing for that price range are crap, I'm afraid to say. I'd bet Windlass is the best you'll find for that price and they don't even hold a candle to Albion. Nor are they making their blades from popular licensed movie props.

"if there was a functional version of it, that I would use a spiraling Eastern sword form."

Right but that's not really mixing styles so much as using the wrong style for a specific weapon. I can't see what advantage one would have over using the weapon for anything else than was intended when designed and perfected over many years. The blade dimensions, construction of the sword, and balance are not fit for such arts. And that's ignoring the fact that -if it were functional- it would "feel" completely different in the first place. So what you are feeling now is inaccurate.[/quote]

Now please don't take offense to this, but how can you tell me what I am feeling is wrong? Sword combat is an art and like any art is is up to the artist's opinion. Now, our opinions are different. All I was doing was saying my favorite weapon and that I like to use spiraling motions while using a european style sword. Please I do not wish to argue further because we all know that if people never e xp erimented with different styles then European sword would still be in the Roman short sword never being able to develop into broadsword then fencing.
Last edited by RevAnakin on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anakin, I mean no offense, please do not blow things out of proportion or resort to personal attacks. What I said is factual. You cannot get a proper feel for a functional ranger sword counterpart based on United Cutlery's display piece. The balance and weight, reaction and feedback would be completely different. Therefor, it is nearly impossible to get an idea of the feel based on a piece that isn't even meant to be swung let alone swung incorrectly. And with that said (again), I highly doubt centuries of weapons research would hit a revolutionary breakthrough via 21st century sword collector with stainless steel display replica. I think the norm can be well-trusted, having worked all this time and been tested by e xp erienced swordsmen with real weapons amidst plausible scenarios.
-_-

I just wanted to make a note that in a interview with Tony Wolf, the sword coordinator for the movies, he says that the Elves use spiraling motions. Then when the interviewer asked about Aragorn's Fighting style, Wolf mentions that he would say that it is influenced by the Elven style in technique (being raised by Elves) but because he is human he wouldn't be able to master the meditative state so it is mixed with other Gondorian Styles.

Interesting note.

Yet A) Not much of this is apparent at all in Aragorn's more practical use of the sword in the films, and B) It's a fantasy story.

In order to try and keep a little bit on topic, I'll not answer the question this thread asks, but I'll address it. It's really impossible to say what my favorite weapon is. It'd be like choosing your favorite kid before you have them, or knowing who you'll marry before you meet them. For example, favorite weapons I own, favorite weapons regarding guns vs. blades vs. in general, favorite weapons I don't own that exist, and favorite weapons that don't exist yet (or ever will). I like variety and appreciate a different weapon for every occasion. For someone so totally immersed in the world of deadly works of art, it's just too hard a question. Ask me something about lesser interests - I could easily tell you what my favorite videogame console is.
-_-

[quote=""Thorin""]My favourite weapon is my Crecy for obvious reasons. It was my first functional sword and it feels perfect in my hands. I remember when I held the one at the Albion shop and I felt like I was ready to walk out with it. I love the lines and I love the type- a bastard sword... or a hand and a half if you will.

photopost/data/500/medium/crecy_003.jpg
photopost/data/500/medium/crecy_001.jpg[/quote]

That is very nice, Thorin.

Quite simply answered, my favorite LOTR weapon is the High Elven Warrior Sword. Concerning construction of the United Cutlery replicas; it's been good to find out that some need modification so as not to be a hazard when swinging them, apparently I'll have to make sure the ones I like to swing have proper pommel construction. I'm planning on modifying almost every piece, besides polishing them to a true mirror shine and sharpening them. Getting back to the question; my High Elven Warrior Sword could easily cut any one in two (Not that I have any interest in using them to harm anyone).

Oh dear...

First of all, it's strongly advised that you do not modify your UC blades (their construction has little to do with the pommel so much as the whole tang in general being rat-tail and impossible to "modify" so it becomes functional). Add to that the fact that the steel isn't meant to absorb any shock at all. Even if you somehow whittle a full tang out of a rat-tail, the steel itself will be useless for anything but looking pretty. As far as your true mirror polish, knock yourself out if you're e xp erienced enough but I wouldn't attempt sharpening these either. They'd probably just chip and crumble.

And I highly doubt the EWS would cut any other in half, but I get what you're saying. ;)
-_-

[quote=""Thranduil""]Well Sedhal, seems to me that I can't do what I've been doing, I guess everyone will have to wait and see since I won't be posting any pics until my new home is ready for the display.[/quote]

You've been manipulating 420J2 stainless steel to perform like carbon steel with real tangs and proper construction for only 150 bucks? Wow. Just one question: How scratched up is it?
-_-

[quote=""Thranduil""]I'm planning on modifying almost every piece, besides polishing them to a true mirror shine and sharpening them. Getting back to the question; my High Elven Warrior Sword could easily cut any one in two (Not that I have any interest in using them to harm anyone).[/quote]

Tranduil, please accept my apologies for calling you names (troll, olog-hai)
in other thread. It wasn't my intention to insult, I've been honestly
mistaken; I wasn't sure if you've been pulling our chains talking about shoe
polish for aging and preserving stainless blade.

Good luck modifying your pieces! :thumbs_up

Personally, I would never polish LotR swords to a mirror shine... it would be
one major step away from their authentic look. If I remember correctly,
props had satin finish? (Otherwise camera and crew would be visible, right?)
In the end your customized swords might look better than originals indeed,
but if we'd be doing this and that to make them look better - where would
our end be? One of the latest examples are three stars on Isildur's Sword
UC came up with. Yes, the design looks nicer now, but for me, replica is
something that's supposed to be as close to the original as possible.

As for sharpening... fingers crossed not to chip the edge! The good thing
with this line is that many pieces are quite affordable. If you ruin your
sword, you can get another anytime for a reasonable price.

And please don't even mention horrible stuff about cutting people in two. :(
I understand you weren't serious, but that talk still gives me the creeps.

[Yet EWS might not be suitable for it - at least not UC's version - for it's
handle is just too heavy compared to blade. You would have to place victim
on a stump first to do it proper. :) ]

ed 209,
I thank you and accept your apology. It seems I rattled some sabers. Nontheless my favorite weapon is my EWS and I put the razor edge on it because I think of my collection not as replicas of film but replicas of what the film portrayed and I just don't think dull edges was on the mind of those who were fighting with them in Middle Earth. Even in the film Aragorn is seen sharpening his sword.
As far as polishing is concerned; that is strictly a display issue to me, I think all these replicas are beautifully made and polishing them just adds to that beauty.

[quote=""Thranduil""]I put the razor edge on it because I think of my collection not as replicas of film but replicas of what the film portrayed and I just don't think dull edges was on the mind of those who were fighting with them in Middle Earth.[/quote]

Well, I agree on that - I never said sharpening is taking away from
authenticity, check my post. I too wanted them sharp in the first place. I only
said I believe it might be risky doing it yourself.

Return to “General Armoury Conversations”