Strider's Coat

Hi I have been looking for a long time and have yet to find a truly accurate reproduction of strider/aragorn's duster coat. Does anyone know where I can find one and how much it would cost? Or am I consigned to have to make one myself? :'( btw, here is a pic of my aragorn costume a couple of years ago. :thumbs_up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glamdring, Sting, Hadhafang, Strider sword, Legolas' Fighting knives, Aragorn's elven knife, Herugrim, Gimli's Battle Axe, Gimli's Walking Axe, Gandalf's staff, Saruman's staff, Eowyns sword, Scabbards:Glamdring(blue), Aragorn's ranger sword, Legolas' fighting knives, sting- hope to have alot more!!!

Re: Strider's Coat

http://www.kropserkel.com/aragorn.htm

I bought another replica on ebay 1 year ago but it is sold out now...
http://www.yourprops.com/view_item.php?movie_prop=4735
Last edited by oldtobby on Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
UC Sting ; UC Sting Scabbard ; UC Glamdring ; UC Narsil ; UC Shards of Narsil (2735/5000) ; UC MC Sting (323/3000) ; UC MC Glamdring (105/1000) ; UC Anduril UE + scabbard ; UC Herugrim ; UC Uruk-Hai Scimitar ; Kropserkel Gondorian Vambraces ; IndyProps Redbook of Westmarch ; IndyProps Thror's Map ; NC Crown of Elessar ; NC Evenstar ; NC Phial of Galadriel ; MR The One Ring of Sauron 1887/2500 ; Danbury Minas Tirith & Barad Dur ; Knife of Sharkû the warg rider; The Sauron sized One Ring ; Albion Armorers Conan's Atlantean Sword (61/1000)
my props collection : http://www.yourprops.com/view_items.php ... e=oldtobby

oldtobby- is yours amde of real leather or is it imitaion made to look real? oh, you don't happen to have the name of the seller you got it from on ebay do you? I know sometimes you can get something custom made, I did this with my strider boots, I contacted the maker for the movies and had him make me a pair and send em from NZ. thanks!
Glamdring, Sting, Hadhafang, Strider sword, Legolas' Fighting knives, Aragorn's elven knife, Herugrim, Gimli's Battle Axe, Gimli's Walking Axe, Gandalf's staff, Saruman's staff, Eowyns sword, Scabbards:Glamdring(blue), Aragorn's ranger sword, Legolas' fighting knives, sting- hope to have alot more!!!

hi, sorry I didn't answer immediately, problems with my PC
yes this is made of real leather and there's an embroidered patch inside the jacket on which you can read : Lord of the Rings Collection - Davis Anderson Merchandising Corp
UC Sting ; UC Sting Scabbard ; UC Glamdring ; UC Narsil ; UC Shards of Narsil (2735/5000) ; UC MC Sting (323/3000) ; UC MC Glamdring (105/1000) ; UC Anduril UE + scabbard ; UC Herugrim ; UC Uruk-Hai Scimitar ; Kropserkel Gondorian Vambraces ; IndyProps Redbook of Westmarch ; IndyProps Thror's Map ; NC Crown of Elessar ; NC Evenstar ; NC Phial of Galadriel ; MR The One Ring of Sauron 1887/2500 ; Danbury Minas Tirith & Barad Dur ; Knife of Sharkû the warg rider; The Sauron sized One Ring ; Albion Armorers Conan's Atlantean Sword (61/1000)
my props collection : http://www.yourprops.com/view_items.php ... e=oldtobby

I bought one of those. It's real nice. The are a few minute inaccuracies, but it's really not bad. I removed the "merchandise" patch from mine and wear it as a regular duster.
  • The leather is "smooth" on the outside, but is heavily cracked to give it its appearance.
  • The coat (jacket, duster, whatever) is lined from the waist up (including the sleeves). Unfortunately, it is not insulated, but if you just need a costume, that might be okay.
  • It has a zipper from collar to waist and zippers on both forearms. A small "flap" of leather conceals the zippers so they're not too obvious.
  • The large stitching you see at the shoulders and waist is just decorative; the panels are actually sewn together.
  • There is no "sword-arm padding".
  • There are pockets at each side, but they are not zippered; they're really quite discreet. There are two inside breast pockets, one zippered and one buttoned. (As a bonus, the button has a fine circular "One Ring" inscription!)
  • There is a loop inside the back of the collar for hanging.

So there's a heads-up about accuracy. It sounds like you went all-out on the boots, so I'm not sure if the Davis-Anderson version is quite your thing.
Last edited by Urambo Tauro on Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Museum Replicas Limited (MRL) also produced a Strider coat. Although they have discontinued their LOTR line, you could probably still find a reseller on-line that has it in-stock.

I own one of these and thought it was pretty close for accuracy... all leather, real stiching, no zippers or pockets. Even if you wanted to make some modifications, it might be easier to start with this as your base coat, unless you have e xp erience making clothing from leather (and have a pattern to follow).

I also own the Davis Anderson version. I know, why do I own two coats? I knew they were becoming "extinct" and I couldn't decide, so I bought both. Once I had them, I couldn't decide which to return, so I just kept them both. Even owning both it is hard to pick which is better. They each have their pros and cons.

The Davis Anderson version is pretty scarce at this point I believe. At first look, it is pretty accurate; however, I hate that the arm stiching and around the waist isn't really stiching. The lining, zippers, pockets, etc make for a comfortable wearable coat, but not quite as movie-accurate in that way as the MRL version. Really depends what you are going for.

Haven't seen the Kropserkel version in person, but their stuff is always top-notch. You could always buy one of those and then post a nice review of it for the rest of us. I doubt you would be disappointed in their work, but it will cost you. :)

i appreciate all of your input! it sounds to me that unless I am really willing to put a good amount of money into purchasing a coat and the fact that I am a little anal about details, I may have to just try making it on my own. I actually found a website called http://www.alleycatscratch.com that is great if you are interested in making your own stuff. They helped me make my strider costume from a couple of years ago. Since it is a very daunting task to make a leather duster coat i may have to take some time to think about it, Thanks again!!!

If you aren't up for the task, you might try this website, Twin Roses Designs. They make a lot of stuff and they take custom orders. Again, you would be paying a fair amount, but from what I have heard, they are very high quality. A number of members have purchased things from them in the past and they came highly recommended. If you know what you want, send them an e-mail and they might be able to give you an estimate. Send pictures and what not.

http://www.twinrosesdesigns.com/index.html
Valar morghulis

Okay I know this is a really old thread but the Strider outfit is really something that I am interested in. Right now all I have is the UC Strider sword and scabbard, UC Strider knife, the Ring of Barahir, and a Stansborough Elven Cloak. I would really like to find a good jerkin as well as a nice shirt. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am sure there are more vendors for these items now than when this thread was last updated.

[quote=""jnicktem""]Okay I know this is a really old thread but the Strider outfit is really something that I am interested in. Right now all I have is the UC Strider sword and scabbard, UC Strider knife, the Ring of Barahir, and a Stansborough Elven Cloak. I would really like to find a good jerkin as well as a nice shirt. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am sure there are more vendors for these items now than when this thread was last updated.[/quote]

I might be able to help you out. I just posted a couple of pictures of one version of the Strider costume I own and am planning to sell. It includes the no-longer-available Kropserkel Deluxe Leather Ranger Duster (See: http://www.kropserkel.com/aragorn.htm), a faux suede jerkin/vest, a grey shirt in medieval style (though without the smocking), and a belt with the appropriate tooling (eye pattern) and accessories. Here are my gallery pics:

Please note: I'm keeping these boots and the pants. If you think you might be interested, send me PM. :thumbs_up

CLEAR. *revives dead thread*

So after recently going to the Vermont Renaissance Faire for the first time, I've decided that I need to go in costume next year. And I want to have my kiddo (who will be 1 then) dressed up. I'm thinking we'll go as rangers (he's named after a rather famous one...) and I figured I'd document my efforts here! Gotta get something good for me, and cheap for him (since he'll grow out of it every two minutes...)

Return to “General Armoury Conversations”