Lord of the Rings Screen-used/Set-used Props?!?

Hey everyone,
I'm just gonna throw this out there:

Recently, I was talking to the manager of TMS Film Props, New Zealand, regarding screen-used LOTR props, and why they are so hard to find, and extremely limited, when there was sooooo much made for filming. He told me that the reason was because due to the lawsuit between Peter Jackson, and Newline, all the screen-used props are in a warehouse in New Zealand awaiting the litigation to sort out before they could be sold. Now that the lawsuit is "done", maybe some or all of that will be released!!! This is all just hearsay, of course, but worth keeping an ear, and eye out for. This is a pretty reliable source, as it was TMS that recieved the original cloak pins from Warren Green that were used on all 3 LOTR sets. The reason these cloak pins were released for sale is due to Warren's pin design existing before the movie went into production, and the design remains his property. (See a sample of the cloak pins in my photos)

So If anyone comes across any info, please let me know, and I'll do the same.
Head of the Department of Evil, Canadian Division.

"All that Longbottom gave me the munchies."

Re: Lord of the Rings Screen-used/Set-used Props?!?

I recently emailed WETA to try and get an update on all the original trilogy props they made, and they're possible availability. This was the very prompt response I recieved:

"Thank you for your email.
All of the props, costumes etc that we design and make for films is the Intellectual Property of the funding studio, i.e. New Line Cinema for The Lord of the Rings.
Therefore, all of the material is in secure storage and we are unable to loan, rent, sell or replicate.
Sorry for the somewhat disappointing response, but I trust you can appreciate our position.
Kind regards,
Darren
Darren Reddiex| Customer Services Manager |Weta Workshop | Weta Limited"

Where is this secure storage facility? Why is Newline/Miramax hoarding all these treasures? Why? WHY? :|
Buncha' jerks, if you ask me! :'(
One day, my friends...one day.

Return to “General Armoury Conversations”