When Where How

Yes I definitely will attend, just tell me when and where.
Total votes: 2 (25%)
I want to attend, but I could use help with funds. (No votes)
I might attend, it depends on when it takes place.
Total votes: 6 (75%)
I already know I won't attend. (No votes)
I want to attend, but need time to save up for it. (No votes)
Total votes: 8

Forum Moot Tis' a Gathering

At Val's request I'm starting this thread for the meeting of members Moot.

Apparently many of you are roaring to go.
E xp enses are the primary concern for most. I have many thoughts:
-With The Hobbit collecting coming up, spending money on a trip is out because buying new pieces is priority.

-Some members don't have a lot of funds & spending money on a trip is the last thing they can afford.

-Having the Moot in New York City is going to cost a LOT MORE than outside the city. This why suggested having it near me, so many can save on all e xp enses.

-Coordinating arrivals is the biggest problem. If some members are coming from Europe, would you like to spend the day at the airport awaiting arrivals? That goes for long distance travelers here in North America as well.

The first thing is to tally up who will come. Everyone interested needs to chime in on the poll so a names list can be complied in one place.
Hammering out the details is what this thread is about.
Voice concerns, ideas, etc.

This isn't going to be a piece of cake to coordinate, but it can be done if everyone does some leg work on their own. I have a lot of ideas to throw out there to make this work smoothly, which will help make it fun for all.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Re: Forum Moot Tis' a Gathering

Unfortunately a poll can not be edited or added to.

I thought of another question that should have been on there.

I'm willing to donate to a general fund to help others balance e xp enses.

All money will be openly accounted for here in this thread. Donators can remain anonymous to others except myself assuming I act as coordinator.

Please help me by not assuming I can think of everything & do everything, I need as much input as I can get. :thumbs_up
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Magneticone""]Thrand , Way to get the ball rolling and if I can think of anything , I'll gladly post it . As I am only a few hours away and driving . I could possibly help with any kind of pick up for long distance travelers . :) [/quote]
That's exactly what I was thinking. Those of us more local can help with pick up, the details of which will be figured out as people post.
Ultimately getting enough information to create a plan.
Thanks Mag :thumbs_up

[quote=""dpegasusm""]Wohooo! so we are thinking NYC as the place?[/quote]
While NYC is definitely a place most would probably want to spend a day in to have fun, I'm thinking of e xp ense all the time. A cheap hotel in Brooklyn costs $120 per night per person (and I mean cheap).
So I'm thinking NYC is the place where most would fly into, but then travel a couple hours north to stay at the Hilton here in Troy. It's a brand new hotel. Advance purchase paid in full can get a room for two with separate queen size beds for $98, that's $70 savings per person per night.
It has a great sports bar in it where we can all gather, eat drink and be merry with no need to get behind the wheel if drinking alcohol.

I'm thinking we can all go to see The Hobbit- There and Back Again (and 2D is fine with me, just more savings) the next day perhaps. :)

Also think we can all go back down to the city to spend a day (perhaps the last day ending with departures back at the airport).

If this pans out and commitments take shape, I'll try to get a move on to finish my display room so we can have an extended gathering at my home, save money on food & drink, etc. As I said previously, some members with extremely tight budgets can stay here at my place to save $$. The hotel is half a mile away, walking distance. :thumbs_up

As far as when? I'm thinking January 2014 so all have time to save up.

I'd like to think that costs per person can be about $1000 for everything.
Examples: Let's say EG plans to come, his airfare is about $775. Transportation from airport is covered by me, stays at my place, gets fed for $10 per day.
Magneticone lives in Philly, he can do a run by airport to pick up whoever and bring them up to Troy. He has gas costs plus hotel stay, lets say 4 days/3 nights $150-$180, plus food.

Am I giving a decent picture of how this can work? :|

If everyone tries to book flights that arrive around the same time, it makes it more convenient, but I'm thinking that between Magneticone, dpegasusm, and myself, we can cover airport pick ups (long days for us). The train is also a probability to get from NYC to Troy.

It's a brainstorm.

You seem to have a real good handle on this Thrand :thumbs_up , you must like doing research . ;)
Now I have an idea , don't know if it would be worth it , but to try and lower airfare costs , might it be cheaper to fly into Allentown , Philadelphia or Newark . I am right in the middle of Philly and ABE , 45 minutes either way . Just a suggestion , don't really know :|
Just thinking I have to travel either way to Troy , if someone doen't mind being on a road trip , that might save them a bit .
The only question I have for January would be the chance of weather and possible delays, but we can figure that out , there's time . But I'd have to agree , that gives people time to save , especially if they want to bring a spouse as had been mentioned by someone else . :)

Hi everyone,

I've just been talking to my wife and we both agree January 2014 will do just fine and right we have the time to save some money cause we are planning to make it a trip for at least one week.
I'm gonna look for the best possibility for sleeping and food for both of us.
I have voted so we really are looking forward to further news.

Greetings,
Dark Shadow. :thumbs_up

I think I am the opposite of most people, with school and work factoring in, I don't think I could plan that far in advance. January is a small window of free time, I still plan on being in school in Jan 14, hopefully in PhD school, or if not, I will probably still be working in the university setting... so, like I say, my decision would have to be made a lot closer to the event.

[quote=""dpegasusm""]If people fly into boston im happy to bring them down with me. to NYC i live about 3 hours north of NYC and an hour south of Boston.[/quote]
Great point I hadn't thought of, and I'm sure air fares would be quite similar. I already figured you to be about 3 hours from NYC, which is about the same as me.

@Magneticone same thought, another airport.

@ Val, nah we don't need a rep :P lol, absolutely would make it an official event :thumbs_up

@ BC I was thinking immediately after new years, but I still have to check on air fares at that time of year. It could be a high point $$ for travel.

Keep the input thought coming. I have to admit I've had some serious doubts, but the input has changed my mind. I think we can make this work.

[quote=""Magneticone""]The only question I have for January would be the chance of weather and possible delays, but we can figure that out , there's time .[/quote]
This issue holds a lot of weight. Weather can delay and even cancel flights, but even if everyone flies in okay, a Northeaster can immobilize ground transportation.

The only reason for this date was to accommodate the idea to go and see The Hobbit together, and let's face it, by January we will have all seen it.

So now I'd like everyone to chime in on changing the date to summer targeting the release of both films on DVD.
This would allow an extra 6 months (more than likely) to save $$, and open the door to unobstructed dates for college bound members, not to mention eliminate the weather interference problems of winter.

Nothing would spoil the whole thing more than an auto accident, especially if someone got hurt. Wisdom tells me summer 2014 is a much safer time.

Summer 2014.... It sounds so far away! But I can def see the wisdom in that thought. Maybe we could do a mock-moot in summer 2013 with the release of the first dvd; just a weekend aimed toward the US east coast-ers? It could help to iron out any unforeseen or overlooked details to ensure the real deal goes down as easily (and cost effectively) as possible. Anyone would be welcome, of course. But not e xp ected to make a flight from overseas or across the country.

[quote=""Thranduil""]....So now I'd like everyone to chime in on changing the date to summer targeting the release of both films on DVD.
This would allow an extra 6 months (more than likely) to save $$, and open the door to unobstructed dates for college bound members, not to mention eliminate the weather interference problems of winter....
[/quote]

OK Thrandy....like you think maybe I would like to get out of 110+ deg temps for a while? Harristotle and me both? :P

Well, you're right! :D

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Deimos""]OK Thrandy....like you think maybe I would like to get out of 110+ deg temps for a while? Harristotle and me both? :P

Well, you're right! :D [/quote]
Thanks, it did indeed cross my mind that some would find cooler better than plain cold, and all would prefer warm at least :)

[quote=""RosereIII""]Summer 2014.... It sounds so far away! But I can def see the wisdom in that thought.[/quote]
Yes it seems like a long time, but not if you consider that people who have tighter budgets will be spending their money on new Hobbit collectibles at the end of this year.

At that point it will be 18 months away and another batch of collectibles will follow 12 months later.

Given the choice between their collections and a money vacuum trip, I think the collectibles will take priority ;)

I'm thinking we have to make a tentative commitment by June this year, that leaves 2 years. 104 weeks @ $10 per week and you have $1040 which should be enough for most to make the moot.

As EG pointed out, he has college. Where do you think his parents want him to put his money? Same probably goes for Fingolfin. Not an easy thing for these younger guys to undertake.

When I look at my own priorities, my display room will take my extra funds. To postpone those for this moot is out of the question.

For those who have great solid incomes, count your blessings that you can do this without any concern. Others are close enough to do it without much $$ at all. But those who are 3000 miles away take a big hit, it's not enough to just want to come.

Dark Shadow and his wife are looking at $1500 in airfare alone. Taking my formula into account he has to save $20 per week just to cover travel and accommodations. They still have to eat.

I think I'm being a realist :coolsmile

[quote=""Thranduil""]Yes it seems like a long time, but not if you consider that people who have tighter budgets will be spending their money on new Hobbit collectibles at the end of this year....I think I'm being a realist :coolsmile [/quote]

So why do you think the moot is going to fizzle? :huh:

Correct me if I'm wrong , but I don't think Thrand is suggesting it will fizzle . :huh: I believe he is just stating the obvious , that if we all indeed do want to get together with friends with like minds and hobbies we will need to save up the funds to do so . Especially since a few will have to travel quite a long way . Keeping in mind the release of weapons for the Hobbit , which again , we obviously will wish to purchase :thumbs_up
This is the reason he is suggesting scheduling it in the summer of 2014 . Should be plenty of time to save up the funds , and be able to purchase some collectibles we fancy , college bound members may be able to attend and the weather should not be an issue . ;)

As far as the suggestion for kind of a "dry run" for east coasters and whomever else wants to meet up , I'm all for it . Could be a one day or weekend thing .

I'm looking forward to it now , it better not fizzle !!!!!!!!

I totaly agree with you Magneticone and as for Thranduil he's right and he knows what he's doing.
I'm also looking forward to that moment that's why i asked a couple days ago in the chatroom if there is any tread to put photo's by the names of the members that would be a big help if we come together so we know how each other look like.

[quote=""Dark Shadow""]I totaly agree with you Magneticone and as for Thranduil he's right and he knows what he's doing.
I'm also looking forward to that moment that's why i asked a couple days ago in the chatroom if there is any tread to put photo's by the names of the members that would be a big help if we come together so we know how each other look like.[/quote]
Personally, I like the idea of finding out what we all look like to happen when we meet. I have mental images of most here, so to me it's like a game to see how right I am, which is usually wrong lol!
Anyway, I don't need to, take away the armor, and long blonde hair and my avatar is so close it's scary. :O

[quote=""Thranduil""]Personally, I like the idea of finding out what we all look like to happen when we meet. I have mental images of most here, so to me it's like a game to see how right I am, which is usually wrong lol!
Anyway, I don't need to, take away the armor, and long blonde hair and my avatar is so close it's scary. :O [/quote]

I like that idea too.
And I think we should have those stick-on 'Hello, my name is ...." tags that will have our Avatar's name on top and then our real name below it.

"Hello. My name is Inago Montoya.
You killed my father. Prepare to die."

[quote=""Dark Shadow""]Tell me guys should i start a fresh tread about it,if yes than i will posted as the first one.
Real simple,Name and forum name and picture.
How hard can it be right.[/quote]

There are no pictures of me anywhere on this earth...none.

I don't permit my picture to be taken because the camera steals your soul and puts it in the little card all pixelated....big no-no for me....against my religion.

Wow , I have mixed feelings on this one :|

On one hand I agree with Thrand , that I kinda want to wait to see what everyone looks like , and hopefully he doesn't look as angry as his avatar :angry:
Just kidding

But yet on the other hand , it may be easier to know who you are looking for . Although people do that all the time at airports , we could come up with a killer design for a sign and post pics on here , to hold with the names on it . :thumbs_up

At least that way , you'd know what to look for , rather than who ;)

Again , just ideas at this point .

[quote=""Magneticone""]Wow , I have mixed feelings on this one

On one hand I agree with Thrand , that I kinda want to wait to see what everyone looks like , and hopefully he doesn't look as angry as his avatar
Just kidding

But yet on the other hand , it may be easier to know who you are looking for . Although people do that all the time at airports , we could come up with a killer design for a sign and post pics on here , to hold with the names on it .

At least that way , you'd know what to look for , rather than who ;)

Again , just ideas at this point .[/quote]
Actually this is what I had planned when the time comes.
If for example; If Magneticone is going to be picking up Val at the airport, then they can make personal arrangements, including exchanging photos if they want.

If I have to hold up a card that says Deimos, hey no problem, whatever floats your boat. :)

It was nice to come in and read the other recent posts, made me laugh, and I needed a laugh. :thumbs_up

Tentative Date of Moot June 5-12, 2014

Reservations for air travel can't be made until July 2013, that's 14 months away.

Most college students are free after May.

We can discuss details as we plod along for over a year.

If the date has a conflict for someone, you can say so now or anytime before commitment time.

July 2013 is commitment time.

Yeah, posting pictures of oneself on a public messageboard is always a touchy subject.

It's kinda sad when one considers it, especially in this age of Facebook when people's lives are splashed all over the internet for all to see. Personally, I hate the concept and don't use it because I am a very private person. I know they have settings and permissions, but I've heard too many bad stories.

Then there's our little corner of the net. In the past we had a couple of our members post pictures of themselves, which unfortunately resulted in some very immature people who are no longer around to make rude comments. Not saying this would happen again, but folks tend to be sensitive about such things, and I agree and fully respect that.

My suggestion would be, until the time comes for this to happen, let's forget about photos, and as already suggested, let the people who are picking each other up mail a photo in private or send along a description, or even just use a name card.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]I could always wear that Shatner mask that Michael Myers wears in Halloween..... muahahahahaaa :evil: [/quote]
Or you could walk up the ramp and enter singing a Shatner style song :crazy:

[quote=""Valkrist""]Lucy... in the... SKYYYY... with.... DIAMONDS! :coolsmile [/quote]
Actually I was thinking Bohemian Rhapsody :|

[quote=""GuardianWolf""]I'm in, most likely. Just depends on where/when we go for it and if I have the funds at the time![/quote]
Glad you chimed in GW. I would have emailed you if you hadn't.
You are without excuse, you're too close to miss it. :)

In fact I think you might be the closest if we decide to have it here in Troy. :thumbs_up

Return to “General Armoury Conversations”