Size Estimate for Scale Armor Pieces?

Today's out of left field question . . . can anyone help me estimate the size of these individual pieces of scale from Theoden's and Gimli' s armour? I'm seeking both length and width estimates in inches/fractions of inches. Thanks in advance.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iydoba8uh9iao ... 9.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jws3ow66r19yd ... 1.jpg?dl=0

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Re: Size Estimate for Scale Armor Pieces?

There may be software out there that can estimate true measurements just from a picture.
Kit may know something about that, or N2.

If I didn't have the software (or couldn't afford it) I'd get the circumference measurements of a stocky guy's lower bicep or upper forearm (can't tell which part of the arm the pic shows, but I'm guessing the armour extends to right above the elbow ), visually measure the maile and armour in the pic (using a ruler) and set up a proportion (ratio) with the real-life arm measurement as the reference.

I've always done it that way long before there was software to do it for you (if there is such software) .

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Re: Size Estimate for Scale Armor Pieces?

I do have some software that can help do this. As for the Theoden scale piece I took Bernard's height of 5'9" and came up with 2" long by 1.25" wide, but you can't really see the whole piece as it's assembled. I'll have to do some more checking on the Gimli armor. If I have my stuff unpacked I'd just measure the 1/4 bust and times it by 4 and give you those dimensions.

As for a true 1:1 representation it would only matter unless you were going to try and recreate it exactly anyway. If it was for cosplay it would have to be scaled to you anyway and if you where only going to make some of the individual pieces for display you would just need the ratio to be correct to look right.

Return to “General Armoury Conversations”