Colors on Theoden's Shield?

I've been trying to determine the colors on Theoden's shield. There are several pics of it online, but with different lighting, poor exposures (too dark, or overly brightened), etc., I don't know what the colors really are. My gut tells me that the colors are dark Rohan green, a coppery/maroon-ish color, and a muted gold with a few picked out details in dark red. This image from a prop exhibit of Theoden's tent seems to be the best I can find. https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxrrmjzgyiq9k ... d.jpg?dl=0

Any thoughts or advice?

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Re: Colors on Theoden's Shield?

Yeah, I saw those images. That's why I'm asking . . . the colors seem to be all over the place. Just like color grading in the movies, lighting makes all the difference in what we think we're seeing color-wise.

There's also this image of the shield that comes with the recent Asmus Theoden figure. One would think that they were using some official reference photos for their work on it? https://www.dropbox.com/s/q70tox820his1 ... V.jpg?dl=0

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

This shows the true colors clearly. Brass, copper, and steel, with various enamel colors applied into the etchings. The base is a dark brownish-green color. It's probably the most ornate and detailed shield built for the trilogy. I think the belt strap on the back is the most ornate belt too. Other than the Gil Galad shield, it's one shield I wish I had gotten Weta to make a prop for United back in the day. If only I had a time machine.
KRDS

That's brilliant! Thank you VERY much for the reference photo. :cheers:

Can you also tell me the color/metal of the shield boss and boss surround? Would it be okay for me to share this photo with a third party as a painting reference?

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

That boss looks a lot like the one on Eowyn's shield ("unless my eyes deceive me" :-D )
Is it larger than the Eowyn Shield boss?

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Deimos wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:17 pm That boss looks a lot like the one on Eowyn's shield ("unless my eyes deceive me" :-D )
The same boss is used on Theoden, Merry and Eowyn's shield. I'm sure it was also used on some other more generic Rohan ones as well. Like the Royal Guard shield boss is also used on other shields as well.

Deimos wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:17 pm That boss looks a lot like the one on Eowyn's shield ("unless my eyes deceive me" :-D )
I don't have an exact size on the Eowyn shield, so I'm not sure, but the boss on Theoden's shield seems a bit larger. Same design though. It's about 7 1/2" in diameter and the whole shield is about 31" x 23."
KRDS

Return to “General Armoury Conversations”