Displaying Swords Horizontally

Hey all!

I figured I'd ask some of the best and brightest sword collecting minds this question. Has anyone displayed LOTR swords horizontally? I mean I know Hadhafang has a horizontal display stand, not wall mount.

I know there are some multi-sword horizontal mounts, that I usually associate more with Katana displaying, would these work for LOTR swords? I am to figure out the best space saving way of displaying and my fiance is worried about basically "poky things pointing down towards a couch and/or potential future small children"

I dont currently use the wall plaques as they take up a lot of room, I use the L hooks on boards to get them spaced closer together.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Re: Displaying Swords Horizontally

I've never tried what you are suggesting (I still use all the wall plaques), and N2's methods of a magnetized wall (in his first room), and french cleats (in his second room), still result in vertically displayed swords. The sword katana display is one possibility but I think blades have to be fairly well balanced in their construction to sit on those and not have the whole thing be a precarious affair. As the UC swords are display swords only, their weight and balance tends to be off in many cases, and I feel a horizontal sword rack would make them look uneven as I think most would have to rest on the hilt at one end rather than the blade in both slots.

I think one option would be old-style vertical sword racks that sit on the floor. I know this is vertical, but the sword is near the floor and can only be pulled upward to get it out. The downside, of course, is that it would very much place them at the reach of children, and they can't be seen as much as if they are higher up on a wall. An interesting conundrum indeed and I wish you luck trying to solve it. Wish I could be of more help. :huh:
This Space for Rent

I'm not aware any universal horizontal holder that will work 100% for what your after. I think you could make something custom for you needs fairly easily. It's just keeping the tapered blades level or the swords nested together so they look good despite the various lengths. You could also try the heavy duty strip magnets, but I covered mine in fabric to keep the metal to metal contact down and they still slid, so that could be a problem depending on the overall weight or contact points.

I only have one full sized sword and yet I've worried about how safe it might be. It's in the hallway just outside the door leading to my library/office, so the area is traversed many times a day. Between my sometimes-stumbling gait and a cat usually zooming past me, I worry I may stumble and knock it off the wall, or slice my fingers off, a la Sauron in the movie, as I flail out trying to catch myself.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

I use decorative wood curtain rod holders. I have a lot of props I display horizontally - swords, bows, staffs, spears - all well above child height. They work for just about everything in my collection. I glue EVA foam with a slot cut into it in the round notch the blade side to keep the swords vertical. You can see one in the mount holding the Arwen dagger blade below.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:03 pm I use decorative wood curtain rod holders. I have a lot of props I display horizontally - swords, bows, staffs, spears - all well above child height. They work for just about everything in my collection. I glue EVA foam with a slot cut into it in the round notch the blade side to keep the swords vertical. You can see one in the mount holding the Arwen dagger blade below.
Thats a great idea... I'll look into that method!

Thanks!
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Valkrist wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:42 pm Kit, is your Tauriel bow a repaint or is that the Weta version? The colours seem different and more vivid than the UC one.
That's a movie prop. The leather color may have lightened up and faded a bit over time, but the wood color is very close to what UC made. It probably looks bright because it's right under a ceiling can light too.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:03 pm I use decorative wood curtain rod holders. I have a lot of props I display horizontally - swords, bows, staffs, spears - all well above child height. They work for just about everything in my collection. I glue EVA foam with a slot cut into it in the round notch the blade side to keep the swords vertical. You can see one in the mount holding the Arwen dagger blade below.
:jaw:

Look it’s … it’s Haldir’s sword!

*faints*
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Return to “General Armoury Conversations”