Re: Pure Star Trek Discussion

I hate these box sets because they almost never contain the best version of all the included movies. Case in point: TMP.

Release the box, if you will, but also the movies individually so we can pick and choose but I guess if they did that, sales of the box would plummet. I guess it's their way around to eventually selling less popular entries like Final Frontier and Insurrection, which would likely not fare well on a solo basis.

Any word on whether the Wrath of Khan in this box is the slightly longer version with a few extra bits, like the dialogue that explains who Peter Preston actually is?
This Space for Rent

Olorin wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:03 pm They haven’t done the restoration of the directors cut of the motion picture yet. That’s why it’s not included. It’s projected to be eight months out.
I hear ya, but what's the rush to get this box set out then? It's not like people that want these movies don't already own them. I'll bet 99% of them would be willing to wait a few more months to get the set with the restored TMP included. Sounds like a lame excuse to me.

Oh well.
This Space for Rent

Fortunately I am among those still in the 2K era. My TV was the best TV available 11 years ago when I got it, and it is still perfect. For as much as it cost, I want to get every ounce of service out of it that I can. Also, with my viewing distance (14 feet), and screen size that I can conceivable afford is not going to be big enough for me to tell the difference between 4K and 2K. The only difference I might notice would be in the extra colors. So, while I also scratch my head at their decision not to release the 4Ks individually, it's not crimping my plans here. I already have the remastered BD of Khan and I'm going to wait on TMP, so I will just pick up III and IV.

I'll be very interested to see how good the remastering is. I got the BD of Khan a few years ago based on reviews, and it did indeed look great. But I never bought any of the other non-remastered TOS movies because the DVDs looked atrocious, so I figured the BDs would too. So, it's a bit of a surprise that I will finally start getting these movies in a better format. I just hope they did as good a job with remastered as they did with Khan.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Olorin wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:55 am Fortunately I am among those still in the 2K era. My TV was the best TV available 11 years ago when I got it, and it is still perfect. For as much as it cost, I want to get every ounce of service out of it that I can. Also, with my viewing distance (14 feet), and screen size that I can conceivable afford is not going to be big enough for me to tell the difference between 4K and 2K. The only difference I might notice would be in the extra colors. So, while I also scratch my head at their decision not to release the 4Ks individually, it's not crimping my plans here. I already have the remastered BD of Khan and I'm going to wait on TMP, so I will just pick up III and IV.

I'll be very interested to see how good the remastering is. I got the BD of Khan a few years ago based on reviews, and it did indeed look great. But I never bought any of the other non-remastered TOS movies because the DVDs looked atrocious, so I figured the BDs would too. So, it's a bit of a surprise that I will finally start getting these movies in a better format. I just hope they did as good a job with remastered as they did with Khan.
I bought my 40 inch Sony-baloney Bravia 720p back in 2007.
I remember saying at the time that I would not buy a flat panel TV until the price for a 40-42" dropped below $1000.
So I know I paid less than $1000 but more that $500. It's the only TV I have.
40 inch 720p at 12 feet still works fine for me.

Wasn't there something about the WoK movie (can't recall if it had to do with the DVD or BD version) such that it had to be re-issued?
And someone mentioned something about making certain you got the corrected version; that version having the barcode hi-lited in yellow?

"Unless you're prepared to surrender everything, don't surrender anything."

When seconds matter, it's reassuring to know that the police are only minutes away.

"Only the paranoid survive."

I had forgotten all about that, but yeah, the colors were off or something. Seriously, why can't they find these problems before they ship a jillion copies to retailers? In any case, my BD with is bright yellow UPC is in my movie rack.

My Panasonic plasma was quite pricey. I think with tax I paid $3800. But it continues to serve me well. Because I paid so much for it, I like to say that I'm not buying another TV until it's the size of a deck of cards and fills my entire living room with a holographic image. Seriously, I hope it holds out till we get to the next iteration of TV technology. I'm leery of OLED because it suffers from both soap opera effect and burn-in, making it a worst of both worlds hybrid of LCD and plasma.

The main issue with the BD TWOK was that repeated 2-second clip of Sulu looking over his shoulder during the opening sequence. Yellow UPC = good, White UPC = bad.

I'm not as shy as you guys about keeping pace with technology, especially when it comes to TVs and how stunning movies can look nowadays. I bought my QLED 4K 75" Samsung a couple of years ago and have not regretted a single dollar of the $6000 price. I don't think I'll dip into 8K as I think the law of diminishing returns is really coming into play there, but the leap from 2K to 4K was very noticeable for me, especially when going to a larger screen, which is where the differences and improvements become appreciable. That, and I cannot say enough good things about HDR.

I hadn't heard of any burn-in issues with OLEDs. Are you sure about that? That's nearly impossible with the tech they use today and was far more prevalent back in the days of CRT and also Plasma sets were extremely prone to it (I'm glad you got a good one as that does not seem to be an issue for you). It's actually not as common as some think and a set has to be on for hours on end displaying the same type of image before this ever becomes a problem. Noted examples are screens that constantly display news feeds with all the window lines and live news tickers at the bottom, or TVs in sports bars showing football all day where the field lines are usually in the same position.

As for the soap-opera effect, that comes down to settings. No TV is stuck in that mode, and new sets offer more options than you can shake a stick at. They just look that way at the store display because they're meant to show the clearest image possible to make people notice.
This Space for Rent

On OLED burn-in, yes I'm sure: https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertai ... w-in-2021/

Don't get me wrong. I don't mean to disparage anyone who made the jump to 4K. It's just that with my viewing distance, I'm not going to be able to see the difference in clarity, and as for the expanded color palette, with so many directors chose to desaturate the colors in their movies, it offers little allure. I will get a different TV someday. But just like with physical media, I like to be able to skip a generation occasionally. I still have a few things on Laserdisc, LOL, though I would replace them if I could. Unfortunately, Van Morrison has never released his 1990 concert video on DVD or anything subsequent, for example.

I definitely want to make the jump to 4k, but the TV in my living room is only 2 years old... as a single guy living alone, I have 5 TVs in my house already. I guess I could replace the 32 inch TV in my bedroom with the 50 inch TV from the living room....

I would love to have a bigger TV in my living room, but I have mine mounted above the fireplace/mantel and 50 inch is the biggest tv I can put there and still be able to lower it/raise it over the mantel.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Return to “Star Trek & Star Wars”