Re: Pure Star Trek Discussion

BladeCollector wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:02 am
Deimos wrote:
Olorin wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:30 am A bit belated, but RIP to Louise Fletcher, who so notably portrayed Kai Winn in DS9. She died Friday and was 88 years old.

Fletcher is most famous for playing Nurse Ratched in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" but of course to us she'll forever be known as Winn. She was a character that we loved to hate, and she really got a comeuppance in the DS9 series finale!
Pax Olorin but I beg to differ, vehemently so....Louise Fletcher will always and forever be Nurse Ratched.
She didn't win no Oscar for her DS9 role :lol: , whatever that was. Which leads me to:
What happened to her in the DS9 finale? Did they space her a la Ebony Maw? :O
She basically was conned by Dukat who was posing as a Bajoran farmer to turn her back on the Prophets and release the Pah-Wraiths. In the end, the Pah-Wraiths chose Dukat not her (obvious to us, not to her) and Dukat killed her as he was possessed by the Pah-Wraiths, at the moment she finally realized that Sisko was the emissary to the Prophets. That's a cliff's notes summary of course. But memory alpha has a really good summary here https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Winn_Adami
"In the end, ... Dukat killed her."

Good. She was quite the "witch with a B" in Cuckoo's Nest; really a monstrous tyrant.
And she never really paid for all the misery she inflicted except for getting a bruised neck when Nicholson's character (McMurphy) tried to strangle her.

Thanks for the link, BC... I will check it out. ;)

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

I can only admire Nurse Ratched from a distance, never having met her.

Well somehow I managed not to see that BC already answered you, but having composed this, I'll go ahead and post it.

To answer your question is a little complex. She was in essence the pope of Bajor, but she was a hypocrite and insincere. Remember, Star Trek likes to make political commentary, although usually a little more cloaked than they did here. The Bajorans worshipped a group of entities they called The Prophets of the Celestial Temple, a group of entities referred to by Starfleet as the "wormhole aliens" who created and lived in the artificial wormhole between the Alpha and Gamma Quadrants, where they existed outside of linear time. Back in the day, some of these aliens went bad and were exiled to Bajor, where they were imprisoned in a cavern. So coming to your question, Fletcher's character was hoodwinked and seduced by Gul Dukat, the great villain of DS9 (and great villain of all of Star Trek, IMHO, never mind that Khan guy), the brutal overlord of Cardassia's past occupation of Bajor. He had by this point been possessed by one of these cast-out entities, now referred to as pah-wraiths, and having had himself surgically altered to appear as a Bajoran, conned her into performing a ritual to release them from their imprisonment. With these fire demons now raging, he was revealed to her as Gul Dukat whom she hated above all people, and while she was freaking out about having slept with him and being conned by him, he burned her to ashes.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Olorin wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:57 am I can only admire Nurse Ratched from a distance, never having met her.
So am I understand that you have met Kai Winn? ;)

Olorin wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:57 am Well somehow I managed not to see that BC already answered you, but having composed this, I'll go ahead and post it.

To answer your question is a little complex. She was in essence the pope of Bajor, but she was a hypocrite and insincere. Remember, Star Trek likes to make political commentary, although usually a little more cloaked than they did here. The Bajorans worshipped a group of entities they called The Prophets of the Celestial Temple, a group of entities referred to by Starfleet as the "wormhole aliens" who created and lived in the artificial wormhole between the Alpha and Gamma Quadrants, where they existed outside of linear time. Back in the day, some of these aliens went bad and were exiled to Bajor, where they were imprisoned in a cavern. So coming to your question, Fletcher's character was hoodwinked and seduced by Gul Dukat, the great villain of DS9 (and great villain of all of Star Trek, IMHO, never mind that Khan guy), the brutal overlord of Cardassia's past occupation of Bajor. He had by this point been possessed by one of these cast-out entities, now referred to as pah-wraiths, and having had himself surgically altered to appear as a Bajoran, conned her into performing a ritual to release them from their imprisonment. With these fire demons now raging, he was revealed to her as Gul Dukat whom she hated above all people, and while she was freaking out about having slept with him and being conned by him, he burned her to ashes.
Thank you... you provided a bit more detail than BC's Cliff Notes version, but I can use his version when I'm at a party with ST fans.
("CliffNotes" version put in purse, right on top, for quick reference)..."Well duh, of course I know who Kai Winn is, or was. ... I didn't just fall off the interstellar turnip truck, you know..." :rolleye:

Olorin wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:57 am I can only admire Nurse Ratched from a distance, never having met her.

Well somehow I managed not to see that BC already answered you, but having composed this, I'll go ahead and post it.

You did a MUCH better job than I did! My "day to day" ST DS9 knowledge is fading. I need to rewatch it. But every time I think about rewatching something, I think of ALL the other shows I still want to watch and havent watched yet.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I feel your pain as I’m in the same boat. I would probably rewatch anyway, except the dvds look so bad. Somebody has been posting uprezzed clips on YouTube that look spectacular. I don’t know if it’s something he did himself, or if the version on Paramount + is uprezzed.

Deimos wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:46 pm
Yes I have! At least, it feels that way. She did a really great job with the character: the insincere smile, the grating voice, the so-judging tone, all laced through a constructed persona of a wise and caring leader. Like I say, love to hate her. Yet when she got her just desserts, I still felt sorry for her.

Olorin wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:26 am
Deimos wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:46 pm
Yes I have! At least, it feels that way. She did a really great job with the character: the insincere smile, the grating voice, the so-judging tone, all laced through a constructed persona of a wise and caring leader. Like I say, love to hate her. Yet when she got her just desserts, I still felt sorry for her.
omg, that is sooooooo funny. :lol:
Fletcher simply channeled a "softened" Nurse Ratched for the Kai Winn character.
She could have the done the part in her sleep. :laugh:

I say "softened" because take what you saw in Kai Winn and cube it, maybe with a cherry on top, and you have Nurse Ratched.
And there is no way anyone who has watched Cuckoo's Nest (or read the book) would ever, ever feel sorry for her.
Everyone was hoping that McMurphy would successfully strangle her.
But, being damn near the devil incarnate, she couldn't be killed.

Hokaaay... (I knew a Dutchman who always pronounded OKAY like that ) :D
So, I watched two DS9 scenes on Youtube with Kai Winn: in one she is meeting an emissary and the other one concerns something about a civil war and an election.
Yep, definitely a restrained version, but Nurse Ratched none the less; the gently voiced sarcasm, the polite inquiries with a menacing undrercurrent.
Just swap out that gold cap for a nurse's cap and presto! Kai Ratched! :D

Kai Ratched.jpg
Even so Kai Winn is pretty much a Girl Scout compared to Nurse Ratchet .
Evil Nurse :O
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You know, I could swear that Amazon used to have a 90-day return window. Now it's only 30 days. I discovered this quite by accident a few days ago, to my shock. I had been holding off on watching the 6-movie Star Trek box until after my Halloween movie festival. But now I see that my return window runs out Friday, so I'm binging the movies. I just have the last one left to watch, which I'll watch tonight, and then return to my regularly scheduled program of Halloween movies (and will have to watch Halloween itself earlier than its namesake holiday, as I just got a new edition of it and its return window closes on the 24th...).

Last night I watched Star Treks IV and V. I know we've discussed all the movies at length in the past, including V, but I've had further thoughts on it. V is so maligned, both among fans and in pop culture. But it's really not a bad movie. Sure, it has an improbable story (you KNOW they're not going to find God...too big a story-telling risk), and some of the effects are not quite up to par. But compared to the weighty premises of the earlier movies (especially the first one, OMG), it's nice to have something a little lighter or perhaps more mystical. It feels like a light-hearted romp, and I don't think that's a bad thing necessarily.

I wonder how much of the derision it caught was just on account of William Shatner. He's a polarizing character, or tends to be, and I think there were plenty of people on lookout to hate the movie and flame it at the least signs of imperfection. Of course, it did have its problems, but to be pilloried the way it was just seems to be a huge over-reaction.

I don't recall reading anything about them tweaking the movie in any way, but I think they did. The scene where Captain Klaa thumps his chest used to have badly synced audio: the thump and the visible impact were not lined up. But now they seem to be. Also, the scene where his ship is closing in on the Enterprise after torpedoing it appears to have had the visuals slightly tweaked. The box surrounding the Bird of Prey optical element used to be visible as the ship moved across the background cloudscape, and now it isn't, or not so much. Now before anybody asks, the Enterprise turbolift shaft still has far too many (and repeating) decks, and the visual of Shatner and Nimoy streaking down the face of El Capitan still looks dreadful. But in any case, I'd have to say that this appears to be the best presentation so far of this movie on disc, and as it's likely it's last physical incarnation, that's good.

I don’t think they want to mess around with any logical considerations like that, and for that matter it might be a little impractical to set up. But in any case, I think it’s just a one size fits all policy, whether you’re ordering a multiple movie box out that’s gonna take a while to get through, or you’re ordering an apple or an orange. I couldn’t think of a good comparison, but I’m sure you understand what I mean.

Valkrist wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:21 pm Tell us the truth! You made the unwise decision to have Taco Bell for lunch... and... well... you were 'busy' when they came on stage. :embarasse :crazy:
:laugh:

I did get to meet the greatest thing to happen to star trek in a LONG time
Scan_0001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sweet! Easy purchase as a set in 4k for me.

Speaking of seeing these folks in 4k, just attended the Vancouver Fan Expo for three days this past weekend and got to see Frakes, Spiner, McFadden, Mount, and Peck up on stage. Pretty awesome. You can almost count Stewart in as being there as well if you heard Spiner's uncanny impression of him. :laugh:
This Space for Rent

I was just watching a video from a guy named Steve Shives who does videos on Star Trek. He posed the Ship of Theseus question, or as he smirkingly called it, the Ship of Tiberias question, about the NCC-1701. When it underwent its massive refit prior to TMP, was it really the same Enterprise after the refit? There could not have been much original ship left other than the structural skeleton. I suppose I always assumed they kept the frame, added onto it in places (I think the new saucer is slightly bigger), remodeled all the interiors (I want to see that on HGTV!) and replaced the nacelles and their struts. But the thing that occurred to me just now is that, despite the fact that the economics of the future are somewhat different, such a refit would have been so costly and laborious, why would they have done it? Wouldn't it have been easier just to scrap the ship and give its name to a brand new one?

There is a podcast called Inglorious Treksperts, hosted by the last of the great TOS apostles, Mark Altman, and Daren Dochterman, who has worked on Star Trek in some capacity. Recently they had as their guest Bill Hunt of the Digital Bits, who's been the premier source of information on home video for like 25 years now and has many connections in the industry. They asked him on to talk about the state of Star Trek on home media. Interesting takeaways from this are that the remastered TMP did very well for Paramount+ and the disc of it sold very well also. This is said to have gotten Paramount's attention and focused it on money to be made by remastering and rereleasing old products. Hunt said that if he had to bet, at this point he'd bet $100 that DS9 and Voyager will eventually get remastered for BluRay at some point. Of course, there are lots of competing factors, and the winds are blowing in all directions. Remastering is steadily getting cheaper and cheaper, and with the advent of AI remastering, it will get cheaper still. They probably won't do any actual recreation of special effects such as were done for TOS and TNG, but uprezzing the existing effects may still look pretty darn spiffy, particularly with the AI abilities now becoming available. So, cross your fingers we get these at some point, hopefully sooner vs later, as a negative factor is the cost-cutting Paramount will be doing to offset the cost of merging with Showtime.

It was also said that there was such widespread and glowing acclaim for Season 3 of Picard that it will likely get a 4K release. The first two seasons may ride its coattails and end up in a 4K box of all 3 seasons.

One of the guys was jonesing big time for Paramount to give Shatner some money for a director's cut of Star Trek V, with improved special effects, and presumably the original ending with the rock men. In the past Shatner has been very into this idea in the past but was always flatly shut down by Paramount. Now with his age, who knows if he'd even still be interested, or if Paramount would actually be so dazzled as to give him the money. Honestly, redoing the effects, or even redoing the ending, are not going to make the movie anything other than what it is. It's never going to be the Wrath of Khan or anything like that. I think the best it can hope for is just to be the Charlie Brown's Christmas tree of Star Trek movies. I'd be satisfied if they'd just redo the deck numbering inside that turboshaft.

They talked about a lot more than this in terms of home video, but those were what stuck in mind. I assume this podcast is available wherever you get podcasts. I listened on Apple Podcasts, so I know it's there.

Oh yeah, just looked at Hunt's blurb for it in The Digital Bits and was reminded of Dochterman's idea for how to commemorate the 60th anniversary of TOS: borrow back the original Enterprise model from the Smithsonian and redo the special effects to modern standards with the model instead of a CGI recreation. Now that's some real outside-the-box thinking....

BladeCollector wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:59 am On one hand, I wouldnt mind DS9 and Voyager getting some remastering, but on the other hand, after all these years being all about physical media, I dont know if I'd actually buy them :P Now if they were streaming remastered, I'd definitely give them another watch.
I agree on two counts: cost and space. As I get older, I'm becoming more and more conscious of the massive amounts of crap I'll leave behind one day, and the space it all needs while I'm alive. On the other hand, I continue to be wary of someone deciding when I can and cannot watch content. With the constant buyouts, mergers, rights lawsuits, and other wranglings the entertainment industry always seems to find itself in, you never know when suddenly something will get yanked from the monthly service you're subscribed to and passed onto someone else, or worse... gone into the ether indefinitely. I like to be able to watch what I paid for when I want to, not at someone else's whim. So, to me, I hope physical media never goes away. At least give me the option.
This Space for Rent

I agree with everything you've said. I love having the physical copy but cost and space is becoming an issue, especially now that I am combining households. I have also become "lazy" as in, even if I own the physical copy, I will first watch the streaming version just so I dont have to go through the "hassle" of dealing the the disc and putting it in the player :)

BladeCollector wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:37 am I agree with everything you've said. I love having the physical copy but cost and space is becoming an issue, especially now that I am combining households. I have also become "lazy" as in, even if I own the physical copy, I will first watch the streaming version just so I dont have to go through the "hassle" of dealing the the disc and putting it in the player :)
Ah, yes... the whole 'combining households' thing. That was a lot of 'fun' when I went through it... xP

As for laziness, man... that is the ultimate... lol. To be honest though, even with super-fast internet, data compression takes its inevitable toll, so I don't know if you have a 4K TV (I do), but when Disney+ or Netflix tell you the content is 4K, it's actually really not... so it never compares to the image quality that you get from a physical disc player and a 4K disc itself. Something to bear in mind if you're an HD-quality nut like I am. :crazy2:
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:16 am Ah, yes... the whole 'combining households' thing. That was a lot of 'fun' when I went through it... xP

As for laziness, man... that is the ultimate... lol. To be honest though, even with super-fast internet, data compression takes its inevitable toll, so I don't know if you have a 4K TV (I do), but when Disney+ or Netflix tell you the content is 4K, it's actually really not... so it never compares to the image quality that you get from a physical disc player and a 4K disc itself. Something to bear in mind if you're an HD-quality nut like I am. :crazy2:
Havent gotten a 4K TV yet, I think the next TV purchase will be one, but I dont think I am going to buy one to buy one. Between myself and my fiance we have 8 TVs :crazy2: we definitely dont need any new tvs now

BladeCollector wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:56 am
Havent gotten a 4K TV yet, I think the next TV purchase will be one, but I dont think I am going to buy one to buy one. Between myself and my fiance we have 8 TVs :crazy2: we definitely dont need any new tvs now
8 TVs?I! I thought I had too many at 6. :crazy:

My advice? Sell four of them and buy one 4K. I know it's hard to justify sometimes, but with HDR10+ enabled capability, you can really see the difference from a 1080p Bluray.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:57 am
BladeCollector wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:56 am
8 TVs?I! I thought I had too many at 6. :crazy:

My advice? Sell four of them and buy one 4K. I know it's hard to justify sometimes, but with HDR10+ enabled capability, you can really see the difference from a 1080p Bluray.
selling a few and buying a 4K is a pretty good idea :) might have to start price checking!

Rereading a brief discussion that was had in another thread about uniforms, I suddenly recalled this picture that someone posted in an article recently and figured it would be cool to post (for anyone who hasn't seen it). Basically, it depicts the TOS crew in their correct uniform colours had they gone with the new style from TWOK on, but kept the original colour scheme from the show.

I like that they put Saavik in cadet-grey (not sure how official that is), and that Spock is in gold, owing to his rank as Captain in the second movie. If you wonder what Spock would look like in his original blue, have a look at the second picture. Lastly, not sure why Sulu is in red rather than gold in the first photo. The second one has him in TOS gold.

I'm also including a link to a photo of the TNG cast if the original scheme had carried over to TNG (was an in-universe actual explanation ever given for the red-gold swap?!?) https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/ ... NG-TOS.jpg
This Space for Rent

Those are interesting pictures but at the end of the day, I prefer the Monster Maroons in their original maroon color. Uniforms should be, er, uniform after all.

I don't recall ever hearing a TNG-era in-universe for the command color swap from gold to red. The behind-the-scenes reason was, for the few people who don't know, was an attempt to destigmatize red after all the red shirts who got killed in TOS. Too late, it was already the meme that wouldn't die. :rolleye:

Thoughts now....

I have yet to watch Prodigy, and have gone back and forth over whether I would. It's not that I'm antithetical to watching an animated Star Trek show or think it's pitched too young. It's actually very highly rated on Rotten Tomatoes and is actually supposed to be completely enjoyable for adults. It's just that I've gotten more than a bit burned out from all the streaming content that is being shoved at me: Star Wars, Star Trek, Marvel....it's just too much to keep up with. It seems like I spend all my free time watching TV, whether it's shows on HGTV or videos on YouTube. Plus, the quality of some of the streaming shows is...well, not fabulous. I've been pretty underwhelmed by the Mandalorian and the Book of Boba Fett, and honestly was underwhelmed by Obi-wan Kenobi after looking forward to it so much. I did just finish watching the Clone Wars (the CGI-animated one) and thought it was decent, with the last season or two in particular standing out. And Andor was really good.

So, I've kind of been stalling on Prodigy, and for that matter on the second two seasons of Lower Decks. Just recently I decided I was going to delve into them, when it was announced that the Ahsoka series was coming in August. That was what led me to finally finish the Clone Wars, and to be about to embark upon the Bad Batch and Rebels, as it sounds like Ahsoka is going to tie a lot of things together. I figured, I'll circle back to Prodigy and Lower Decks later. Except now, Prodigy is being canceled, and they are going to pull it off Paramount Plus. It hasn't been said yet when that will happen, but Sean Ferrick of TrekCulture said he's heard it rumored to happen as quickly as the 26th, which is just two days from now. That makes it unlikely that I could finish it, as even if the episodes are short, there are 20 of them. So then I thought, well, I'll watch it on BluRay. Except they split the first season in two, and the second half has never been announced for physical media. I'm really starting to hate the modern entertainment environment.

Unfortunately, this is part and parcel of the bloodletting caused by the streaming wars. I think probably HBO started it, and supposed Disney has been doing some of it too, though I'm not sure what they are cutting. But it's this unending quest to be the biggest, gobbling up other services and cutting back on your own content to offset some of the debt. The other day I read an article where some analyst said that the current configuration of the Paramount empire has at most two years left, before they will be forced to break it up and get rid of some of it. Supposedly the value of Paramount Global in total is less than the value of its better parts, which means some of its other parts are really pulling it down.

Last thoughts.... For those folks who bought into the disc-free future, thinking no need to own a disc when they could stream it whenever they wanted to, the future is here...and it ain't what you thought it was.

Olorin wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:07 am Thoughts now....

I have yet to watch Prodigy, and have gone back and forth over whether I would. It's not that I'm antithetical to watching an animated Star Trek show or think it's pitched too young. It's actually very highly rated on Rotten Tomatoes and is actually supposed to be completely enjoyable for adults. It's just that I've gotten more than a bit burned out from all the streaming content that is being shoved at me: Star Wars, Star Trek, Marvel....it's just too much to keep up with. It seems like I spend all my free time watching TV, whether it's shows on HGTV or videos on YouTube. Plus, the quality of some of the streaming shows is...well, not fabulous...

Last thoughts.... For those folks who bought into the disc-free future, thinking no need to own a disc when they could stream it whenever they wanted to, the future is here...and it ain't what you thought it was.
Good heavens! I got exhausted just reading your litany of streamed shows :O

For those folks who bought into the disc-free future, thinking no need to own a disc when they could stream it whenever they wanted to, the future is here...and it ain't what you thought it was...

Yep...the Law of Unintended Consequences is always there.

I don't think we have a thread on Star Trek: Enterprise, so I'll post this here. I saw something intriguing the other day, though I don't recall where. I think it was in a TrekCulture video on YouTube. In any case it was mentioned that in, I believe, a Star Trek novel, it was presented that Trip Tucker didn't really die but rather was recruited into Section 31, and Star Fleet then faked the records to show that he died. Some sort of revival of Enterprise, even if only a character-based series similar to Picard, is frequently mooted, and it's always mentioned that they have to find a way to resurrect Trip. Although this Section 31 idea whiffs of fan fic, it does make sense, as we've seen characters have hidden associations with 31 (Reed) and we've seen Star Fleet erase things from the record and swear witnesses to secrecy (Discovery Season 2's finale).

Personally, I think some sort of reboot of Enterprise is unlikely, even though it would be richly deserved and I would dearly love for it to happen. It was one thing to reboot TNG through Picard, but TNG was Star Trek's most beloved incarnation. Enterprise, on the other hand, got canceled. Add in Paramount's current state of retrenchment, not to mention the actors' and writers' strikes, and it becomes even more remote. I mean, even a third season of Strange New Worlds is not guaranteed, and is who knows who far off if it does happen, due to the strikes.

This is totally off topic, but I'll mention it because it deals with entertainment and just popped into my head. In the endlessly cannibalizing world of entertainment, with companies buying each other up, the 800 lb gorilla is Disney. But could Disney itself be bought? Speculation is rife that it is an irresistible target. But who could conceivably buy Disney. Well, how about the richest company in the world, Apple? I don't know whether Apple has its sights on such a thing, and it seems to be doing well with its own streaming service. But the endless speculation may drive this into being a self-fulfilling prophecy. If Apple keeps hearing that it's expected to buy Disney, it might just buy Disney. How that would affect Disney properties like Star Wars, Marvel, and Pixar is an interesting question, as is how it might affect Apple shows like Foundation. I saw an article the other day that mentioned that Foundation looks like the most expensive show on TV. The entire first season only cost $45 million, yet featured some of the most stunning vistas I've ever seen. The people running that show know how to wring every cent out of their budget.

Olorin wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:38 am So, I had a random thought yesterday. In Voyager, the Vidiians stole Neelix's lungs, and Kes donated him one of hers. Ocampans only live 9 years, as I recall. Is Neelix now dead?
Dare I say that I hope the answer is 'yes'? :crazy:

The character was super annoying. Maybe though, because Kes eventually transcended into some higher form of being, maybe that part of her did too? So maybe Neelix now has a a super-duper, advanced alien, multi-phasic, ethereal lung? :O
This Space for Rent

Return to “Star Trek & Star Wars”