Re: Pure StarWars Discussion

[quote=""BladeCollector""]Forget Episodes 7-9... I wish they would make a movie about KOTOR![/quote]

Ever since the rumour years back that Lucas had written this story as three trilogies, and then seeing what Timothy Zahn did with his own version post-ROTJ in book form, I've always longed to see what the aftermath of the fall of the Empire would be like. Even the followup Jedi Academy series by Kevin Anderson, though flawed, showed lots of merit and interesting ideas.

KOTOR was undeniably cool, but I think the future of Star Wars lies forward, not backwards (no pun intended.) The past video games and current MMO have e xp lored that era very well, but I have no wish to see it in movie form. There's too much of a sense of inevitability when you already know what's going to happen, and Lucas' prequel trilogy suffered badly from this (among many other things.)

I may be alone here, but I would love to see what Han, Luke, and Leia have been up to all these years, and please, let Darth Vader rest in peace.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]I'm sure there are going to be all sorts of wild rumours coming out now, most of them preying on the wildest fears of Star Wars fans. This one is certainly at the top of the heap, but if there's even an ounce of truth to it, which I doubt, I pray there is someone with common sense along the line that will put a stop to such utter folly.

If not, Disney will kill this franchise faster than five more re-edits from Lucas. I doubt they are going to throw away all that money they paid for this on some harebrained idea like this one.[/quote]

You never know with Disney. When they succeed, it can be a spectacular triumph. When they fail, their failures have been craptacular as well.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Valkrist""]Ever since the rumour years back that Lucas had written this story as three trilogies, and then seeing what Timothy Zahn did with his own version post-ROTJ in book form, I've always longed to see what the aftermath of the fall of the Empire would be like. Even the followup Jedi Academy series by Kevin Anderson, though flawed, showed lots of merit and interesting ideas.

KOTOR was undeniably cool, but I think the future of Star Wars lies forward, not backwards (no pun intended.) The past video games and current MMO have e xp lored that era very well, but I have no wish to see it in movie form. There's too much of a sense of inevitability when you already know what's going to happen, and Lucas' prequel trilogy suffered badly from this (among many other things.)

I may be alone here, but I would love to see what Han, Luke, and Leia have been up to all these years, and please, let Darth Vader rest in peace.[/quote]

You think Leia is still sporting that gold bikini :) haha

I feel cautiously optimistic about this. In my mind, at least Star Wars now has the potential to get back on the right course again. By no means certain, but at least it has the possibility of happening now, whereas there was no hope when Lucas owned Lucasfilm.

Could Disney's acquisition be a new hope? Hehe, get it? Ahahahaha

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

[quote=""BladeCollector""]Forget Episodes 7-9... I wish they would make a movie about KOTOR![/quote]

[quote=""Valkrist""]KOTOR was undeniably cool, but I think the future of Star Wars lies forward, not backwards (no pun intended.) The past video games and current MMO have e xp lored that era very well, but I have no wish to see it in movie form. There's too much of a sense of inevitability when you already know what's going to happen, and Lucas' prequel trilogy suffered badly from this (among many other things.)[/quote]

The video games and MMO may have covered KOTOR well, but for those of us who don't do those things, a series of KOTOR movies would be very appealing. Whereas the continuing adventures of Luke, et al, to me would have a sense of inevitability, as you know they are going to overcome desperate challenges from remnants of the Empire, and re-establish the Republic.

Which is not to say I don't care about Luke et al. My biggest wish regarding all this is that Disney does not drive the final nails into Star Wars' coffin.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

[quote=""Olorin""]Whereas the continuing adventures of Luke, et al, to me would have a sense of inevitability, as you know they are going to overcome desperate challenges from remnants of the Empire, and re-establish the Republic.[/quote]

Not necessarily. That is certainly the path the novels took and it would seem logical, but it will be at least 30 years since Return of the Jedi, and word is that if the original cast is brought back, this time has to be accounted for as they are obviously much older. I would like to think the Empire is likely largely gone by then, tiny remnants driven to the fringes of the galaxy, if even still around at all. The Republic should be reestablished by then, and if not, then there are some very inept politicians running the place.

After 30 years, there is a huge potential for new challenges and this is where the story should go: break new ground and not retread the past. With the Old Republic stuff, we know the Sith is always working to undermine the Jedi and will eventually succeed. No surprises there, and for the record, I don't play the MMO, I just want to see something new. ;)
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Not necessarily. That is certainly the path the novels took and it would seem logical, but it will be at least 30 years since Return of the Jedi, and word is that if the original cast is brought back, this time has to be accounted for as they are obviously much older. I would like to think the Empire is likely largely gone by then, tiny remnants driven to the fringes of the galaxy, if even still around at all. The Republic should be reestablished by then, and if not, then there are some very inept politicians running the place.
[/quote]

I was thinking back 35 years to when Star Wars was first a hit, and Lucas revealed that there were to be 9 movies. He said the final trilogy would deal with the re-establishment of the Republic. Of course, later he claimed he'd never said anything about a 3rd trilogy, and that it was all a mass hallucination on the part of the fans. :crazy2:

Unless the recast everyone which would suck.

But being a fan of KOTOR, I would love to see movies, or even a HBO/Showtime style series. There is so much EU from back in the KOTOR days that you wouldn't even have to focus on Darth Revan, Darth Nihlus, 'The Exile', etc even tho those are some really cool characters.

You could have a prequel to KOTOR to show the rise, fall, and return of Revan (which is kind of the same plot as Vader, but cool).

Either way, as long as the movies are good, I am for them

As a side question to this whole Lucas/Disney thing... does this mean that Lucas can no longer unilaterally re-edit the movies... or as I like to say "Lucas" them?

Lucas can do nothing further (thankfully) to the Star Wars movies. He's out.

The only holdover is that 20th Century Fox retains the distribution rights to the existing six movies, meaning Disney can never release a box set of those movies and their own future ones in one package unless they work out a new deal with Fox specifically.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]However, like it or not, Lucas is no longer in charge and those 35 years are not coming back. The story, if there is one, has to account for this and reflect the passage of all that time.[/quote]

True enough, but Lucas did turn over detailed story treatments for Eps 7 – 9. Either his vision for the story, whatever it may be, will be reflected in the films, or Disney will through everything out the window and do something else.

It's being reported across the Internet today that Mr. Lens Flare himself, Val's favorite moviemaker, has been hired to direct Episode 7. Yes, I'm talking about JJ Abrams.

Hopefully we'll know soon if it's true or not.

In other news, some Turks are upset, claiming that Lego's new Jabba's Palace is modeled after the world-famous Hagia Sophia in Istanbul: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... osque.html

Personally I think if they are going to be upset, they should have been so 30 years ago, when Jabba's Palace first debuted on the big screen.

Huh? I could have sworn I had read recently that Zack Snyder had gotten the gig. I actually don't have too much of a problem with Abrams, lens flare overdoses not withstanding. The problem lies with his writers and creative team, whom I feel are a little too smug and lack originality or good ideas. Yes, I hate the new Star Trek, and if these guys are involved, get ready to see Star Wars in a new alternate universe of their own invention just so they don't have to follow anything Lucas established. Come to think of it, that might not be so bad in a couple of instances. :P
This Space for Rent

A lot of names have been bandied for director, but it seems to me that a writer has definitely already been hired...and it wasn't one of Abrams' crew. However, if Abrams is the director, he would quite likely have his crew "tweak" the script.

Here it is, Michael Arndt: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/1 ... 09223.html

I wonder if Abrams would have the nerve to have one of his hacks, er, cohorts, rewrite this guy?

This article also quotes an "unnamed source" that Harrison Ford is interested in appearing, but only if Han Solo dies. Ugh. Why bring him back just to kill him off? Plus, with his career in the toilet for years now, I'd think Ford would want a steady paycheck.

I really hate when actors get into this "ok I'll do it, but only if the character dies." Who wants to see that? There's a reason these characters are famous and people want to see them again, not to have them die off because the actor is sick of them for some obscure reason. I would rather they not play them again to having them come back just to die pointlessly and to satisfy a whim. Bill Murray won't appear in Ghostbusters 3 unless Venkman is dead and a ghost. Rumours are that Sigourney Weaver only agreed to Alien 3 if they killed her off. Considering she came back for Alien Resurrection, it shows how fickle these people can be. Even Nimoy asked that Spock be killed off as a condition to making Wrath of Khan. I'm glad he changed his mind after.

It really pisses me off that Ford put terms on his appearance like that. What's his problem anyway? Way to be grateful for the role that essentially launched his career. I get that some actors aren't very proud of their early work, but Han Solo is iconic and revered by millions. Just accept it and move on, Mr. Ford. :rolleye:
This Space for Rent

That has always bothered me about him too. Doing the charity costuming and such I have never even heard of Ford do anything Star Wars related in years. It's like he is too good for it or something. Stupid, hell Natalie Portman still proudly signs as Padme and she is just as if not a bigger actress than he is, same thing with Ewan.

What I couldn't believe is when Sam Jackson said he wanted to be the one armed Jedi with a vengeance.

I also can't stand when an actor just wants to come back to die... what is the point, so you can go out in the ridiculous blaze of glory??? Ford especially should be grateful to Star Wars, look at his career because of it!?! He's at the point in his career that the only thing keeping him from drowning is nostalgia... better hold on to Han Solo and Indiana Jones as long as he can, he'd be stupid to kill off one of the 2.

I don't know the legality with everything, but if Disney bought LucasFilm, doesn't that mean Disney owns Indiana Jones and if so, couldn't they play dirty and hold Indiana Jones ransom.

Does anyone else agree that the e xp anded universe novels and games are better than any of the movies? I recently bought Dawn of The Jedi volume 1 and Tales of the Jedi volumes 1 and 2 and they're really interesting stories.

KOTOR 1 and 2 are my favourite games of all time and The Old Republic is pretty great as well. I like the darker story telling in the e xp anded universe.

I wish that disney had decided to set the new trilogy in the old republic. They also have plans to release a star wars film every year starting in 2015, I don't know if any of you saw that. The films inbetween the trilogy installments will be stand alone films about other characters.

Personally, I hope that with these stand alone films they create new characters or base them on ones from the e xp anded universe that people aren't familiar with instead of having a Han Solo movie, or Bobba Fett movie, etc.

Hopefully the new trilogy will still be good :thumbs_up
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

I'd love a KOTOR movie! Those were 2 of the best games of all time, Star Wars genre, RPG, storyline, etc... One feature I loved about that game, was I could save at any time as long as you weren't in combat, you didn't have to reach a checkpoint etc. Although sometimes I would forget and get killed and realized I hadn't saved in an hour :(

But anyway, yes, a KOTOR movie would be AWESOME! some of those ancient Sith and Jedi stories were so intriguing!

[quote=""BladeCollector""]I'd love a KOTOR movie! Those were 2 of the best games of all time, Star Wars genre, RPG, storyline, etc... One feature I loved about that game, was I could save at any time as long as you weren't in combat, you didn't have to reach a checkpoint etc. Although sometimes I would forget and get killed and realized I hadn't saved in an hour :(

But anyway, yes, a KOTOR movie would be AWESOME! some of those ancient Sith and Jedi stories were so intriguing![/quote]

haha I used to do exactly the same thing :P

Naga Sadow is featured quite heavily in Tales of the Jedi volume 1. He's mentioned by Kreia in KOTOR 2. Have you played TOR? It's currently free to play and I've been playing it for a few months now and I'm loving it. The story line is great :thumbs_up

Dawn of the Jedi is great as well. You should read it if you get the chance. It's a graphic novel and I love the art in it. Volume 1 is out and volume 2 is due to be released in August.

Dark Horse also produced a series of comics called Knights of the Old Republic which was set around the same time as the two games. They're putting an omnibus edition of that together and volume 1 is coming out in September.
Last edited by Lindir on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""BladeCollector""]I havent played TOR yet... I dont think my current computer can handle an MMO game, it very well may blow up![/quote]

Woops, I forgot to reply BC! :P

My computer isn't the best, thegame runs on the lowest settings and even they are pretty good. It didn't install properly when I first tried before Christmas. It took a day to install the assets and then crashed and started again so I just cancelled it hahaa, I couldn't be bothered with it :P

Then I tried again after Christmas and it went on without a problem. :P but yeh, I think the older computers struggle with this game. What sort of computer do you have?

[quote=""Olorin""]That would be fan-freakin-tastic...unless of course they make a crap movie.[/quote]

No chance that will happen with JJ at the helm. There will be tons of awesomely awesome lens-flare, the drop-dead gorgeous and physically perfect offspring of Han and Leia, death-defying stunts, more e xp losions than you can shake a light-sabre at, and let's not forget the incredibly original story that we are sure to be absolutely wowed by: everyone will gather back at Jabba's palace to save Han from a frozen carbonite slab, only when they thaw him out, they find out it's actually Khan, a genetically-engineered super-Sith lord, who came from an alternate timeline and has magic blood that can save anyone because of its high midiclorian count. Booyaa!!! And the crowd goes wild.

:rolleye:
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]No chance that will happen with JJ at the helm. There will be tons of awesomely awesome lens-flare, the drop-dead gorgeous and physically perfect offspring of Han and Leia, death-defying stunts, more e xp losions than you can shake a light-sabre at, and let's not forget the incredibly original story that we are sure to be absolutely wowed by: everyone will gather back at Jabba's palace to save Han from a frozen carbonite slab, only when they thaw him out, they find out it's actually Khan, a genetically-engineered super-Sith lord, who came from an alternate timeline and has magic blood that can save anyone because of its high midiclorian count. Booyaa!!! And the crowd goes wild. :rolleye: [/quote]

I have no clue about 95% of which you just wrote (I do recognize the part about Han Solo in the carbonite)...However (comma) your version sounds terribly exciting and suspenseful ...we can only hope!!!!! [ :rolleye: squared and cubed]

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Deimos""]I have no clue about 95% of which you just wrote (I do recognize the part about Han Solo in the carbonite)...However (comma) your version sounds terribly exciting and suspenseful ...we can only hope!!!!! [ :rolleye: squared and cubed][/quote]

I'm pretty sure he's making fun of JJ Abrams lack of originality with the Star Trek movies :)

[quote=""Valkrist""]No chance that will happen with JJ at the helm. There will be tons of awesomely awesome lens-flare, the drop-dead gorgeous and physically perfect offspring of Han and Leia, death-defying stunts, more e xp losions than you can shake a light-sabre at, and let's not forget the incredibly original story that we are sure to be absolutely wowed by: everyone will gather back at Jabba's palace to save Han from a frozen carbonite slab, only when they thaw him out, they find out it's actually Khan, a genetically-engineered super-Sith lord, who came from an alternate timeline and has magic blood that can save anyone because of its high midiclorian count. Booyaa!!! And the crowd goes wild.

:rolleye: [/quote]

Most of your comments are directed at the screenplay, which if it were being written by Abrams' usual coterie, you'd probably be right on the money. However, the screenplay is being written by Michael Arndt, who's considered to be pretty good. He wrote the screenplay for Little Miss Sunshine, which I didn't see but which was very acclaimed, and he also wrote Toy Story 3, which I loved. So I'm holding out hope for the screenplay, which I would not if it were to be written by Abrams...or Lucas.

As for Abrams' direction, I think we can count on too many lens flares, but there's a chance he may try not to overuse those, since they have become identified with Star Trek.

I watched 2001 last night for the umpteenth time. Kubrick used quite a few lens flares in it...though much more subtle ones than Abrams would have used.

But really the main sentiment I meant to convey with my previous post was excitement over the possible involvement of John Noble. We all know him as Denethor in Jackson's LOTR, but to me I know him much better as Walter Bishop in the (Abrams-created) TV show Fringe. Noble is simply one of the greatest actors living. It was an absolute privilege each week to watch him act Walter and various alternate universe variations on Walter. Noble can portray more in five seconds of wordless emotions flickering across his face than most actors could in a ten minute monolog.

John Noble totally ROCKS! I just hope if he is in it, they give him a screen play worthy of his talent.
Last edited by Olorin on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Valkrist""] tons of awesomely awesome lens-flare, the drop-dead gorgeous and physically perfect offspring of Han and Leia, death-defying stunts, more e xp losions than you can shake a light-sabre at[/quote]

All director decisions, not screenplay, and all influenced courtesy of the A.D.D. generation.

But yes, I know what you are saying about John Noble, and I hold that as a minor, yet bright ray of hope for these movies. As for the screenplay, we'll see if they can resist trying to reinvent the wheel. My money is on 'no.'
This Space for Rent

[quote=""BladeCollector""]Maybe since JJ is involved in both, Trek is going to be Summer time and Wars is gonna be Winter time.[/quote]

Nope.

It's already been announced that Abrams is handing the Trek reins to someone else due to his committment to Star Wars. News also came a day or two ago that Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan have taken over the script from the previous screenwriter. This will leave him with zero time for Trek.

Frankly, I'm glad he's gone from Trek, though I don't hold out any hope for the dreck that's sure to follow. It will take a complete shift in direction once again to wash the stench of Lindelof, Orci, and Kurtzman from that franchise. Hopefully with JJ gone, the rest of those talentless clowns will follow him out the door.
This Space for Rent

Fat chance of any of that. Remember, JJ will still produce and his company is holding all the reins, and will continue to do so till they get tired up it or give Paramount a couple of bombs in a row. So for the foreseeable future, JJ is here to stay.

Hey, that rhymes!

I know JJ won't be directing Trek, but if the next Trek is scheduled for Summer 2016, then it makes sense for Star Wars to be December 15, not Summer 16, they wouldn't want those two movies to compete with each other for Summer blockbuster, as JJ is still involved with production and I am sure that Bad Robot logo will show up in both.

[quote=""Valkrist""]Again, that may be so, but he is NOT directing the next Trek. Mark my words.[/quote]

Not disputing that...just saying his production company still has the property, and his people will still be involved. Only difference we're likely to see is fewer lens flares.

Return to “Star Trek & Star Wars”