Re: Pure StarWars Discussion

I liked the originals, enjoyed the new ones (for what they were), but the true wealth of the Star Wars mythos has always been the extended universe and the Old Republic storyline in my opinion. I'd like to see some of that. However, I e xp ect we will get something along the lines of the Transformer films (and the newer SW films) great visuals and lots of action, but poor plot and character development. That said, I'll most likely end up in line for a ticket regardless of what direction this film takes.

On a side note, and I don't want to be mean, but I figured Jedi would age a little better. Smugglers do seem to fare at least a little better...
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.
It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

"Other names linked with the franchise are Michael Fassbender, Adam Driver, Hugo Weaving,Simon Pegg, Benedict Cumberbatch, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Jesse Plemons but only Efron, Michael B Jordan and Saoirse Ronan have confirmed talks.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... z2sVIHlO5V
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook"

Well, those are promising names, at the very least. I'll go see these, but I don't know how strong the force is with JJ Abrams. :P
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""BladeCollector""]That was a very unflattering pic of Mark Hamill... Hugo Weaving would make an awesome edition to a Star Wars movie, I could definitely see him as a wise good guy or a new evil sith lord...[/quote]

Yes, Mark Hamill now starring as Jabba the Hutt. I imagine they're going to have his butt out on the running track working off some of that weight before they start filming.

I think the article said Weaving was rumored as an Imperial commander...he'd be awesome at that. Of course, this is all just rumor, and Weaving as anything may be little more than fanboy longing.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

[quote=""BladeCollector""]http://screenrant.com/star-wars-episode ... ry-oldman/ THAT would be awesome![/quote]

You know, if they could land Gary Oldman, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Hugo Weaving, I wouldn't care if Hamill, Fisher, and Ford were in it or not.

I just hope it has a script worthy of the names that are surging in the rumor mill. Remember, the last batch of Star Wars movies had Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, and Christopher Lee, so great names is no guarantee of great movies.

Liam Neeson made Ep 1 better tho, I wish they would have done the novel route and had him come back as a Jedi Spirit and show Obi-Wan how to become one with the force.

If Cumberbatch, Weaving and Oldman are in it, they could put Ford, Hamill and Fisher in a retirement scene with Ford and Hamill soaking up the rays shirtless and Fisher in the gold bikini and I wouldn't even notice them in the movie.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I thought they were always considered non canon, but they only just said that they officially will not be using that material for the basis of the new movies.

In other Star Wars news, it was reported the Hammill, Fisher, and Ford were spotted in London, maybe I will do some star wars stalking in London in June.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

[quote=""Khal1993""]Just seen this thread lol.

Check out my website www.krsabers.co.uk

It's my site for my custom Lightsaber hobby. Got links to my YouTube and still got many more pictures to add to the site gallery.[/quote]
Khal, those are very cool.
I liked your vid's. My age is showing when I see this stuff, you 3D print these things yourself?

I'm definitely old school making my stuff the way I do.

What are the blades made of? They look like aluminum tube when it's off. Can they take impact?
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]Khal, those are very cool.
I liked your vid's. My age is showing when I see this stuff, you 3D print these things yourself?

I'm definitely old school making my stuff the way I do.

What are the blades made of? They look like aluminum tube when it's off. Can they take impact?[/quote]

Haha thanks man. All of the hilts are machined aluminium and I have them custom made in South America. Because they contain various components inside them such as speakers, circuit boards, LEDs which I solder together I have 3d printed chassis's designed and produced to hold those components compactly and securely. It also isolates them from the grounds of the metal hilts.

The blades are made of polycarbonate and contain a light diffusing film. They are very durable and they can be duelled with. Pretty cool huh? ;)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Just posted on the star wars Facebook page. Andy Serkis has been cast as well as Max Von Sydow :D

Do you think Andy will be doing a mo-cap character? I wonder who the villain will be? I have a feeling Oscar Isaac could be the villain.

[quote=""BladeCollector""]I thought they were always considered non canon, but they only just said that they officially will not be using that material for the basis of the new movies.

[/quote]

A lot of the stuff was considered canon and formed the official Star Wars timeline.
Last edited by Lindir on Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

I don't know much about the post-film e xp anded universe and most of what I do know isn't particularly impressive to me. Things circling the Skywalker family aren't all that interesting. The Old Republic stuff is far more intriguing, and as long as they leave those parts alone I'll be a happy fanboy.

Khal, do keep us updated on your offerings! I'm always looking for interesting mods to make to my own saber...

One of the newly cast actors is Domhnall Gleeson. Curious about his name, I googled him and he is indeed the son of the very talented Brendan Gleeson. Domhnall played Bill Weasley in the Harry Potter movies, while his dad played Mad-Eye Moody.

I just watched STAR WARS DESPECIALIZED EDITION REMASTERED v2.5 on my home projector last night. Wow! The HD quality is fantastic, and the restoration is the best yet, near archival quality. This is the closest thing I have ever to the film I saw in theaters as a kid. The most amazing thing is the color timing looks exactly like what I remember.

For anyone on here that grew up with the original and wants to see it again in HD, or anyone who wants to see the film in it's original form before the heavily altered GL versions, it is well worth seeking out (assuming you have already paid for the DVD/Blu Ray editions).

Good behind the scenes youtube about how Harmy and others made this restoration, and the various sources used.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHfLX_TMduY
KRDS

So this is the first time I have heard about the Despecialized Edition. Now, I find about 80% of what they did to be a change for the better. Colour correction is No. 1 on my list. I always felt that the last few times I saw Star Wars, they were really dark and purple looking. Seeing that youtube video definitely proves I was right about that. Changing certain things like Han shot first etc we also good. And although I understand the point is to bring the film back to as close to as original as possible but High res, there are some changes that I think just make the film look worse. Some of the background changes that is the official versions used some little CGI, clearly look better than some of the matte paintings. But all in all, very impressive!

Better is subjective. One thing to keep in mind about this restoration is that it is intended to be exactly that - an archival restoration of the original, untouched film in it's original form, as it was originally shown in theaters. As such, no changes or well intentioned (or not) improvements are here. The original film in a high quality form no longer exists.

Since the original negative of SW was permanently altered for the SE, and some parts of the negative were unintentionally destroyed during a cleaning process, it's doubtful there will ever be an official release in the original form. It would take a lot of money and a huge effort by Fox and Disney to make an HD re construction for the fans that want it. It could be done using the old negative sections in the SE and filling in missing pieces by scanning existing 35mm prints, but I doubt they would put the same integrity and care into it that Harmy and co have done.

I actually like some of the improvements in the SE edition, but being that I grew up seeing the original in the theater countless times in 1977, that film is burned into my mind. That's the version I have always wanted to see again, especially the correct color timing, and this is it.
KRDS

Well the new trailer is posted on YouTube but I can't figure out how to copy and post the link. Anyway, there are a few lens flares. Seems like I remember JJ saying he wouldn't use them for Star Wars as that was the look he'd established for Star Trek, but I guess he just couldn't help himself.

At the very end of the trailer listen closely and hear Palpatine chuckling. Doesn't necessarily mean he's in the movie...there is recycled footage in the trailer in addition to new.

Yeah maybe not real. I went back to where someone had sent me the link. I was thinking it hD been linked from EW, but that was Jurassic World. This one was a direct link, and the poster was not Disney/Lucasfilm/Bad Robot.

Everybody can go back to sleep now. 🙀

Its being released via iTunes on friday last I heard.

I saw the trailer that everyone thought was real that turned out to be a fake and I honestly don't know how people thought it was real. It was very badly put together. If that was the real trailer then I would have lost interest in the movie :|

The new trailer hasn't even been sent to the 30 exclusive theaters that are premiering it tomorrow. JJ's team said they wouldn't send the digital teaser until early Friday morning. And the 30 theaters had to sign exclusivity agreements to not "leak" the trailer. There have been rumors that it would go up online tomorrow, but anything you see on YouTube today is fan created.

[quote=""Lindir""]Its being released via iTunes on friday last I heard.

I saw the trailer that everyone thought was real that turned out to be a fake and I honestly don't know how people thought it was real. It was very badly put together. If that was the real trailer then I would have lost interest in the movie :| [/quote]

Probably depends on how a person saw it, on a phone vs a decent sized computer screen. What I saw looked very pro on my phone.

Trailer is live https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE

Kinda exciting. Doesn't give too much away, well it doesn't tell us anything about the plot. Its a teaser after all. love that new lightsaber. I saw a leaked photo of the villain a few months back and this pretty much confirms it was genuine. The first narrator sounds like Bendict Cumberbatch. The second voice is different. Could it be a conversation? Maybes the new villains?

Lots of people keep saying Cumberbatch but I believe it's been confirmed that it is, in fact, Andy Serkis. There is also some speculation that it is Max Von Sydow, who is reportedly in the movies.

Cumberbatch needs to go away for a while. Getting sick of him being in everything.

Oh yeah, the trailer! Looks very cool, but the slickness of it all brought back bad memories of the prequels. Only seeing the Falcon at the end eased back my fears somewhat. Seeing the goofy beachball droid was too much of a nod to Lucas' silly kid ideas of late, so I'm still unsure about this whole thing. :|
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Lots of people keep saying Cumberbatch but I believe it's been confirmed that it is, in fact, Andy Serkis. There is also some speculation that it is Max Von Sydow, who is reportedly in the movies.

Cumberbatch needs to go away for a while. Getting sick of him being in everything.

Oh yeah, the trailer! Looks very cool, but the slickness of it all brought back bad memories of the prequels. Only seeing the Falcon at the end eased back my fears somewhat. Seeing the goofy beachball droid was too much of a nod to Lucas' silly kid ideas of late, so I'm still unsure about this whole thing. :| [/quote]

I think the second voice is Andy Serkis. New villain looks so cool tho :D

[quote=""Valkrist""]Lots of people keep saying Cumberbatch but I believe it's been confirmed that it is, in fact, Andy Serkis. There is also some speculation that it is Max Von Sydow, who is reportedly in the movies.

Oh yeah, the trailer! Looks very cool, but the slickness of it all brought back bad memories of the prequels. Only seeing the Falcon at the end eased back my fears somewhat. Seeing the goofy beachball droid was too much of a nod to Lucas' silly kid ideas of late, so I'm still unsure about this whole thing. :| [/quote]
Yeah the beach ball droid sent me to the Menacing Phantom zone childish crap as well Val. :angry:
I agree with you about Cumberbatch, he is a good actor but I'm feeling the overload.
JJ again? Like anything with a Star goes to him? Could we find a black hole for him too :|
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Lindir""]I think the second voice is Andy Serkis. New villain looks so cool tho :D [/quote]

It's all Andy Serkis. Cumberbatch, go away.

So Who Voiced The "Force Awakens" Teaser?

By Garth Franklin

Following on from yesterday's teaser trailer release, two key questions about it have now been answered and one has been raised.
First up, one question that has come up has been who is providing the trailer's narration at the beginning. While the voice does sound like Benedict Cumberbatch channeling his Smaug work in "The Hobbit" trilogy, the actual recording is confirmed by Hitfix to have been provided by 'Force Awakens' cast member Andy Serkis. His role in the film is said to be small but pivotal.
Next up, the official "Star Wars" twitter account has confirmed that the music you hear in the clip is a sample from the all new John Williams score.
Following the trailer's release, Disney has also posted four high-res photos from the film - all of them captures from the trailer including a big beautiful FX shot of the trailer's closing moment with Millennium Falcon engaged in combat with two TIE fighters above a desert.
What's interesting is that while the other photos have the same aspect ratio as the trailer, this single shot is much squarer and shows off considerably more at the top and bottom of the screen than seen in the trailer - an aspect ratio much more akin to that of IMAX.
Photos have confirmed that IMAX cameras were employed for filming in the deserts around Abu Dhabi, so you might literally see more of that trailer's final sequence if you check out the film in IMAX.
This Space for Rent

Thats interesting. To my ears it sounds like two different voices, which is why I assumed it was a snippet of a conversation between two characters.

If it is Serkis, then I'm pretty excited to see his role in the movie. But, I'm personally hoping its not a motion capture role. I'd like to see his real face. It says its a small but pivotal role, maybes thats suggesting he'll be more important in the next two movies?

There's also some speculation that the Sith who stumbles out into the forest with the new lightsaber is actually a woman and is being played by Gwendoline Christie (Brienne from GOT). While they were filming, she had reportedly been lightsaber training and was spotted in an imperial uniform.

I'd personally like to see Max Von Sydow playing an ancient Sith :P

Man, I'm really excited. Such a great teaser! We still don't know anything about the movie at all :P
Last edited by Lindir on Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Lindir""]Thats interesting. To my ears it sounds like two different voices, which is why I assumed it was a snippet of a conversation between two characters.

If it is Serkis, then I'm pretty excited to see his role in the movie. But, I'm personally hoping its not a motion capture role. I'd like to see his real face. It says its a small but pivotal role, maybes thats suggesting he'll be more important in the next two movies?

There's also some speculation that the Sith who stumbles out into the forest with the new lightsaber is actually a woman and is being played by Gwendoline Christie (Brienne from GOT). While they were filming, she had reportedly been lightsaber training and was spotted in an imperial uniform.

I'd personally like to see Max Von Sydow playing an ancient Sith :P

Man, I'm really excited. Such a great teaser! We still don't know anything about the movie at all :P [/quote]

That's the best kind of teaser? where it doesn't give away the plot.

Von Sydow would make a great Sith. In fact, if they were following the Zahn trilogy, which they are not, he would make a good Joruus Cbaoth.

Having now returned home and watched that fan teaser on my big TV, instead of on my iPhone, I can tell that it looks cobbled together from video games or something, at least in part.

[quote=""Valkrist""]That's too funny, and the funniest part of it all is that his e xp lanation is actually quite plausible. :crazy: [/quote]

Even if it's e xp lained in the movie differently, I'll still always picture it the way Colbert e xp lained it.

I really like the lightsaber design personally :thumbs_up

Return to “Star Trek & Star Wars”