Re: Pure StarWars Discussion

There's a pretty major leak rumor out there on the plot, purportedly from a member of the crew.

I've read some of it and it sounds pretty good, if true.
#UC1264 Sting, #UC1300 Sting Scabbard, #UC1298 Hadhafang, #UC1372WGNB Fighting Knives of Legolas, UC1381LTNB Knives of Legolas Scabbards, #UC1371WGBN Knife of Strider, #UC-1370ABNB Herugrim

I hadn't watched the Force Awakens trailer in a while and watched it again just before and got so excited again :P

They're doing a big push for the movie at Star Wars Celebration this year. I personally hope we get some character studio shots.

Rumours are circulating of a new trailer being shown there too. I hope the next trailer refrains from offering much on the story like the first.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

This may be of interest to some of you:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/36115/ ... ad-of-film

I was not terribly happy when the extended universe got chucked out, but I totally understand why. However, if they are just going to go down the same path again, it seems like a pointless exercise for fans, and a nasty cash grab by Disney. I am curious how the novels can fill the 30-year gap between Return of the Jedi and Force Awakens without giving away critical plot elements of the new trilogy, so I question the canon value of these books, though supposedly they will indeed be 100% canon.
This Space for Rent

I did not follow the extended universe all that closely. Some of it was good (the Zahn books) and a lot of the rest was crap. Whether it all was internally consistent, I don't know. I stopped reading any of it other than Zahn years ago, and have never played the games, read the comics, etc.

In any case, chucking that out the airlock vs. e xp ecting the rank and file movie goer (ie, not an uber Star Wars fanatic) to know anything about it, let alone depend on it for plot understanding, is no doubt an ok thing if not also a very good thing. IMHO! ;)
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

I certainly agree that much of it wasn't really very good, though as you said, at least the Zahn novels (and many of the Anderson ones that followed) were quite good. So much so that most discerning SW fans were willing to accept them as canon.

My main bone of contention is not that it all got thrown out in favour of a new vision that will bring everything in line with the new movies. I totally see the logic behind that. The movies should not have been slaved to or crippled by a bunch of novels written ages ago. What seems a bit cynical and greedy is that some of what was perfectly good and useable material is going to get rewritten and republished just for the sake of publishing a bunch more books to make more money. In essence, we're simply going to get another version of events, this one to be considered official, so that we are primed for the movies... except everybody is already primed, and no one was really seriously counting on there being references or inclusion of any material from the old books anyway.

Then there's the main point of my first post: if these movies are shrouded in such absolute secrecy, how do you essentially write a bunch of prequel novels without giving away essential plot elements for the movies themselves? I'm dying to find out what Han, Luke, and Leia have been up to for thirty years, and very much looking forward to seeing that unfold on the big screen. However, we're e xp ected to be interested in these novels that will supposedly cover 30 years of SW history, yet not touch one bit on what's been happening with those characters?!? And if they do, isn't the surprise and anticipation of the movies therefore ruined? I don't get it. :huh:
This Space for Rent

I hear you. Very similarly, I didn't get why Lucas chose to tell the bulk of the story of the Clone Wars occurring between Eps 2 and 3 via cartoons that most people weren't going to see.

But getting back to the new books...cash grab. It's that simple. Also, since Disney now owns Star Wars, the eventual BluRay releases (and any reissues done by Disney) will be $30 apiece. That's why I don't have much of the Marvel stuff. Disney is egregious.

I'll be avoiding those books. I may not even read them after I've seen the movie. The new canon has already gotten off to a rocky start for me personally, by giving Palpatine a rather terrible first name. I can't even remember what it was. It must have been so bad that I've repressed it :P I'm avoiding the books specifically because of your point Val. I really wanna go into this movie and be blown away. Its the first Star Wars movie that I've been able to see without having an idea on where the story was going. I only saw the prequels in the cinema and of course the audience always knew where that was going. But with episode 7, its different. I don't want it spoiled for me.

It does seem like they're gonna end up writing themselves into a corner again though. If they're so desperate to churn out so many books, whats gonna be left for the spinoff movies? They seem set on doing movies during this era of Star Wars too, which i'm not to keen on. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for episode 7, but I want a brand new trilogy of movies set either 1000 years after episode 6 or at least 1000 years before. That way we can have totally new characters, new locations, new vehicles and weapons, and just a generally new feel to it and not really have to reference the original trilogy or the prequels or this sequel trilogy in a heavy way. Like I said though, I'm incredibly excited for episode 7 :)

I hope they do a KOTOR trilogy in movie form one day. The games are non canon now, and I doubt we're ever going to see a KOTOR 3. The story in those two games was incredibly strong, and I think the story was stronger than the stories in all of the 6 movies.
Last edited by Lindir on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

So, I can't believe that no one has commented on the new trailer yet! Go out and watch it if you haven't seen it already. It's got a lot of real eye candy (crashed derelict Star Destroyer half buried in sand is very epic looking) but the big payoff is the last five seconds.

There was a bit of light back and forth about it in the chat box. My sentiment was that it was pretty much like the first teaser, in that it was just a fast series of disconnected visuals, which is ok, because that's what a teaser is all about. The main difference was the connective voiceover about the Force and that special family that has it. The entire thing was just a long wait for the last five seconds. ;)
This Space for Rent

For me the only thing that made it a long wait is that we are hoping for glimpses of old friends, but mostly we see new faces that we don't recognize. But we do get our payoff.

The Digital Bits guy had an interesting tale about being at the Star Wars Celebration when the trailer was shown. He said that those under 40 went nuts immediately, while those over 40 wept silently at seeing Han and Chewie again...and then went nuts when the trailer was over.

I think there's a lot of optimism out there about this new movie...I hope it is merited. For me, the world won't end if it sucks, but it would be a shame. A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, there was a really great movie that created its own zeitgeist and own army of followers. Then it had a really great sequel that some felt was even better than the first. And then there was another sequel that was supposed to be the big payoff; in some ways it was, in others, not so much. And then it was all over for more than 10 years. Then we were treated to second-rate prequels and a raft of ill-considered tweaks to the original trilogy.

But somewhere in all that history is the memory of greatness. If Abrams can burrow through all the debris and rekindle that greatness, he will earn the praise of all generations. And if he doesn't, well, he'll be no worse than Lucas.

One thing I'm hoping we can count on: Disney will almost certainly release proper blurays of the original versions of the original trilogy. I'd almost bet the farm on it. What better way to resell these movies, which they have to be itching to do?

One thing about these sequels that is bothering me a little... and bear with me as I know this is pure speculation based on nothing more than the two teasers shown... but, is it just me or does it appear that very little has, in fact, changed?

It's been over thirty years since ROTJ, and yet it appears that the Empire is still a functioning military machine. Multiple shots of Stormtrooper units and lots of TIE Fighters still flying around. Yes, there are some signs that some epic battles were fought - the crashed Star Destroyer - but that's really no different from the days of the Rebel Alliance. Some might say that perhaps the Alliance (or New Republic if they go with that name,) simply co-opted all the hardware that was conveniently lying around and that the Stormtroopers and TIEs we see are actually part of the good guys' arsenal now, but if so, why do we also see pilots in old-school rebel uniforms flying X-wings? I don't think JJ would have such contrasting visuals if he wasn't trying to establish early on that these two sides are still at odds. I honestly don't think that the new government would want to use such symbols of past oppression as represented by the uniforms and ships of the autocratic and tyrannical Empire.

I'm not na?ve enough to think that the enormous Galactic Empire would collapse overnight based simply on the loss of the second Death Star and Vader and the Emperor's deaths, but surely they were on the run and only a matter of time before being reduced to a few holdouts in the far reaches of the galaxy?

Point I'm making is, maybe all that did happen in the intervening three decades, but it seems a bit repetitive to see it all back to how it was before. Sure there is a new Sith element, but I was hoping we could depart a little from the Alliance vs. Empire dynamic, and nothing of what I've seen tells me this isn't going to be the case, though admittedly there isn't much to go on. Humour me, this is just a hunch and I'm just looking for discussion.
This Space for Rent

You bring up a good point. Most of us are of the mind set that the Empire fell, the New Republic rose, and yada yada yada. Maybe that's what happened. But maybe an Imperial faction is resurgent for some reason.

Or maybe the Empire never really fell. All we see in ROTJ is that the Emperor and Vader died, and the second Death Star was destroyed, and that there was a big celebration. Certainly, there was plenty to celebrate. But it did not necessarily mean that the Empire was defeated. Perhaps some new commander took control, and the war continued.

With Disney/Abrams having chucked the entire EU, we really have nothing to go on. It's a wide open field.

And while I agree that the Empire vs Alliance dynamic might be tired, what else is there? The Alliance fighting some new awesome baddies? Anyway you slice it, our heroes are going to be up against unfavorable odds fighting somebody. Unless the writers are very clever, it is eventually going to be same old, same old. But considering the franchise is named Star Wars, I'm not sure what else we can have.

That was exactly my reaction to the trailer. I was more excited by the new bits and characters.

From what I've uncovered Kylo and the Stormtroopers are part of something called The First Order. Some believe (forum speculation) its a more fanatical faction of the Empire. The Rebels are now called the Resistance.

That info was revealed on the costume/prop cards at celebration.

Hmmm... from dealing what was viewed for years as the death blow to the Empire, the Rebel Alliance is now called.the Resistance?!? Alarm bells are ringing.

To draw examples from our own history, most notably WW2, that is a term used for people already defeated and under occupation that are fighting from a disadvantage against their conquerors.

I'm really curious to know what happened for thirty years because it's starting to sound like the Alliance really dropped the ball. Either that or the Empire was far more powerful than we were led to believe, being able to weather the simultaneous deaths of its leader and top aide, as well as a crushing military defeat. It really looks like that celebration at the end of ROTJ was short-lived. Maybe Lucas was a little premature in inserting that scene where we see Palpatine's giant statue being toppled on Coruscant?
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Hmmm... from dealing what was viewed for years as the death blow to the Empire, the Rebel Alliance is now called.the Resistance?!? Alarm bells are ringing.

To draw examples from our own history, most notably WW2, that is a term used for people already defeated and under occupation that are fighting from a disadvantage against their conquerors.

I'm really curious to know what happened for thirty years because it's starting to sound like the Alliance really dropped the ball. Either that or the Empire was far more powerful than we were led to believe, being able to weather the simultaneous deaths of its leader and top aide, as well as a crushing military defeat. It really looks like that celebration at the end of ROTJ was short-lived. Maybe Lucas was a little premature in inserting that scene where we see Palpatine's giant statue being toppled on Coruscant?[/quote]

Some have interpreted it as the Rebels won and now The First Order has shown up and are wanting to take control so the alliance become Resistors. I'm assuming Andy Serkis is gonna be the big bad behind The First Order.

Yeh the ending of ROTJ seems silly now. I think Coruscant is a place where the Empire would have had the most supporters too. I hope we get to see Coruscant in the sequel trilogy.

I'm in love with the costumes. Have any of you guys bought the books looking at the costumes from the two trilogies? I'm hoping they'll make another book like that for this trilogy. Really nice photos inside both books, but I'd say that the book focusing on the costumes for the original trilogy is stronger.

I'm looking forward to finding out more about The First Order, and whether the Empire is actually still around. Can't deny, I'm pretty excited :P

I love the clip they release at comic con :) I love the shot of Kylo departing his ship with the stormtroopers. Really excited for this movie. However, something to discuss:

Disney Execs suggest lowering expectations: http://makingstarwars.net/2015/08/disne ... ationally/

Spoiler warning: that site discusses a lot of the rumours and leaked tidbits from the movie, so if you're actively avoiding spoilers I suggest you stay away from their other articles and the comments section.

A lot of people have misinterpreted this as Disney telling people to lower their expectations about the quality of the film. I personally think its clearly about money. However, this leads me on to something I've been thinking about for the past few months. How disappointed is the audience going to be with the movie? The hype is starting to ramp up, and force friday is just under a month away - for those who don't know, force friday is when they unveil all the new merchandise in stores in the US - and then its only a few months after that until the movie hits.

People seem to assume because they're relying on practical effects that the movie will automatically be amazing. I've not seen this sort of foolishness (yeh I consider it foolishness) here on this forum, but a lot of sites are talking about how amazing its gonna be because they're using practical effects and real sets - the prequel trilogy had "real" sets. Also, that clip and the only info we've had from JJ and Kennedy are about how amazing the practical effects are, blah blah blah. You know my stance on digital vs practical. I'm not fussed either way, but I want a good story and I want to have fun and enjoy the movie. Practical effects won't save this movie if its rubbish.

I don't know, I can just see the massive fallout afterwards happening. There's no way they can satisfy audiences when they're hyped up like this. It happened with the Hobbit, and I have the same feeling it will happen here. I'm lowering my expectations, as I always do for new movies, but I'm hoping I'll thoroughly enjoy it. What do you guys think? What do you see happening?

My expectations are already pretty low. I mean, I think the official trailer looks really good, but trailers often look very good even when the movie turns out to be crap.

On another note, this fall Disney is releasing all the Star Wars movies on Blu-ray. No word yet about whether they will feature any new supplements or be any tweaks to the movies or anything, but it sounds like the movie content is going to be exactly the same as before. In other words, this probably is not going to be the back to the original versions set that we always hoped and assumed Disney would want to release to cash in with.

I was just reading about the rerelease of the movies. Being someone that has NEVER owned DVDS or BDs of Star Wars, this might be my time to buy them, depending on the price. It just seems that they are going to be a rerelease of the last editions. I am not a SW traditionalist, so the ORIGINAL ORIGINAL ORIGINAL versions aren't as meaningful to me as a lot of other people.

In all honesty, I am sure those will be released eventually, now that Disney does own the movies and Lucas is out of the way, but this rerelease is SPECIFICALLY a cash grab because the new movie coming out in December. And I am sure there will be a new movie edition, etc.

I am pretty surprised by the artwork, Yoda and 5 villains on the covers, I am really surprised it isn't 3 villains and 3 heroes.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

That was quick. Fox must have been willing to fast track a deal with Disney for the first three movies. I figured that would take another year or so. They must have realized that now was the best time to do it, taking advantage of the buzz for the new SW movie.

These are just the current Blu Ray versions, sold as individual movies. If they ever restore the original Empire and Jedi movies to the original versions for Blu Ray, you can bet there will be a massive, targeted campaign promoting them as the Original Theatrical Versions for the die hards who have been screaming for them all these years. Unfortunately, it seems impossible to do this with the original Star Wars movie, since many of the negatives were permanently altered or destroyed when making the first Special Edition. I'm not sure they could do any better than the unauthorized Harmy Despecialized Editions that are out there now anyway.
KRDS

BladeCollector wrote: I am pretty surprised by the artwork, Yoda and 5 villains on the covers, I am really surprised it isn't 3 villains and 3 heroes.
I prefered the old Complete Saga packaging personally, as it catered nicely to fans of both trilogies whereas the new one just seems like its pandering to the hardcore OT fans... I don't know, milking the OT era is starting to annoy me slightly. Also surprised they're still calling it the "complete saga" as we know now that it isn't.

The stormtrooper cover looks awful in my opinion. All the others look real, but that just looks fake. They could have had a hero on the front and the villain on the back for each case. It could have gone like so:

The Phantom Menace - Front: Qui Gon - Back: Maul
Attack of the Clones - Front: Yoda - Back: Dooku
Revenge of the Sith - Front: Obi Wan - Back: Vader(pre-Mustafar)
A New Hope - Front: Old Obi Wan - Back: Vader
The Empire Strikes Back - Front: Han Solo - Back: Boba Fett
Return of the Jedi - Front: Luke - Back: Vader or Sidious

That's just my personal preference. One good guy surrounded by villains just seems strange.

They could have continued that trend with The Force Awakens steelbook by having Rey (I suspect she'll be the main focus) on the front and Kylo on the back.

Of the ones they've released, the Maul cover is my favourite.

I hope Kylo doesn't turn out to be a Maul type character - as in, he's featured heavily in the marketing of the movie and looks incredibly cool but has very little to do and say in the story. Hoping Kylo is more of a Vader type villain.

Lindir wrote: The stormtrooper cover looks awful in my opinion. All the others look real, but that just looks fake.

I hope Kylo doesn't turn out to be a Maul type character - as in, he's featured heavily in the marketing of the movie and looks incredibly cool but has very little to do and say in the story. Hoping Kylo is more of a Vader type villain.
I don't know...I think they all look a little cartoonish, or maybe stylized would be more accurate. And Yoda looks like Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy.

Who's Kylo?

Olorin wrote:
Lindir wrote: The stormtrooper cover looks awful in my opinion. All the others look real, but that just looks fake.

I don't know...I think they all look a little cartoonish, or maybe stylized would be more accurate. And Yoda looks like Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy.

Who's Kylo?
They're definitely stylised, but the others look more realistic and just look well done. I don't know, the stormtrooper cover just looks bad in my opinion.

Kylo Ren is the new villain with the crossguard lightsaber. No spoilers, as his name was unveiled not long after the first teaser hit last year.

" Practical effects won't save this movie if its rubbish." - I nearly spit out my drink when I read that. :laugh: I have high hopes that this film will entertain me, but I'm not counting on it to be so good as to draw me back into Star Wars fandom at the scale I was when I was younger. I'm just going to ignore the hype and see the movie, trusting to the fact that the director is a SW fan and the cast seems worth their paychecks. The rest, as they say, is (or will be) history...for better or for worse. :coolsmile
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

I really do pin that one on a lack of hands on involvement from George Lucas. The lines were just weak and there wasn't enough of an organic environment for the actors in the prequels to be...actors. It feels contrived at times, like they're just puppets saying what they're paid to say. Granted, that's a very literal description of acting, but we all know that a good character and good interaction comes from actors being really engaged; the prequels suffered because George Lucas didn't let the actors act, he made them be his mind slaves from time to time. I think McGregor's standout performance as Obi Wan is the only real example of top notch acting in the prequels. It's been awhile since I've seen them though so I could be forgetting some others.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Don't know if you guys have been keeping up with the news on new The Force Awakens merchandise, but my personal reaction is similar to what I felt when I saw the Hobbit merch. It looks cheap and nowhere near as good as it did 10 years ago. Not that I'd have collected the figures, but they look really bad compared to the ones I bought when Revenge of the Sith came out.

There's a feature for the movie in the latest issue of Empire magazine. I don't know if you guys are avoiding covers and such to keep your expectations for the movie low, so I'll not post the photos directly. If you are interested, you can see both covers on the Empire website. Both are really cool :)

BladeCollector wrote:http://comicbook.com/2015/09/19/disney- ... ar-wars-t/

Could it be happening? Is it time for original star wars fans to rejoice?? Original theatrical cuts to be re-released.
Until I hear it announced more definitively, I'm not holding my breath. That said, just ahead of the new movie release would be a prime time to do this. And it was destined to happen from the moment Disney bought Lucasfilm. There was no way they were going to spend $4B and not milk it for every last cent it's worth. And along those lines, since it's Disney, expect them to be charging about $40 apiece for the BluRays.

I just hope that they release restored versions and not the horrible deteriorated crap that was a "bonus" on one of the previous DVD box sets. What they need to do is create an edition from the elements used for the special editions, and just "despecialize" them by removing the extra or changed scenes, but keep the restored film elements and digitally recomposited original optical effects. This "new" original version should then presented via seamless branching with the special editions, so we can unload our old BluRay set.

But you know, when you get right down to it, I don't mind the special editions. Sure, the whole Han/Greedo thing was just totally wrong-headed, but other than that, everything else was at least acceptable, as far as I recall at the moment (I haven't watched the original trilogy in some time and at this point I'm holding off till the release of the new one is close at hand.) And certainly the ending of Jedi was much improved by the new music and extra scenes of celebration on other worlds.

Disney has done some truly interesting/awesome things over the past few years. I'm a Star Wars fan, but I'm a bigger Marvel fan. When Disney bought Marvel I was terrified, but it turned out to be the best damned thing that ever happened to the franchise. They got Spider-man back, they've played hardball with some pretty big boys in the industry. They played with Sony and won.

That being said, I don't know the relationship here. Fox has distribution rights for the original and prequel, but if Disney is willing to put the money in to releasing theatrical cuts, I could see them pushing it and giving Fox a cut. They'd be completely foolish if they didn't push it through to be around the new release and during the holiday season. Fox saw their options for future releases dry up when Disney bought Lucasfilm. This is their only chance to stay relevant.

And it's my understanding that George Lucas is little more than an consultant now. What he wants or doesn't want is of little importance. Disney has and continues to steamroll over naysayers (see the recent Marvel shakeup http://screencrush.com/civil-war-kevin- ... l-studios/).

I'd say this story has credibility if only because it makes good business sense.

Hopefully the original versions come to pass.

Interesting read about Marvel. It sounds like a very good thing that they're not reporting to Perlmutter anymore. Talk about living in the past, if he was trying to downplay the role of women and minorities in the MCU, that's stunningly dumb.

So, the final trailer for the new movie is out there now. A lot of action, more dialog, more Han, a tiny glimpse of Leia, and some stirringly familiar music. Tickets are now on sale too. For giggles I clicked on the showtime for the first local IMAX showing; it never did connect (no surprise there).

I managed to book my tickets without a problem. I know a lot of people in the UK (and everywhere else) were having trouble connecting and buying tickets. Really looking forward to this, and I loved the trailer. You guys seen the official poster too?

I usually prefer to go opening nights to films, but over the years it's lost its appeal. When it was truly a "midnight" showing, you were basically guaranteed that everyone in the theater was a die-hard fan. They'd be quiet, respectful, and above-all, into the movie they were there to see.

But now that it's bumped up to 7 or 8, while more convenient, you lose that. Casual movie goers pop up and you get the loud, obnoxious people that I generally try to avoid. So really, there's no guaranteed non-miserable showing. More often than not, some obnoxious people will be talking the whole time or texting and it ends up ruining the experience.

With Star Wars, I'm definitely not doing opening night. I'll wait and find a time that I'm betting will be better. At this point, I'm tempted to take time out of work, go in the middle of a Monday or something...

BladeCollector wrote:I haven't attempted to get tickets as I have not decided if I am gonna go opening night or not. I'm not a big fan of crowded movies and crazy fans... I like a quiet, less crowded theater.

I thought the poster was great.
I was debating the same thing. I went to the opening night of the Hobbit, but the audience there was pretty quiet thankfully. I think Star Wars fans will be a little more excited. I agree on the quiet preview. Crowded doesn't bother so much, and tbh it'll be crowded for the first few weeks, maybe more I'm guessing.

I noticed there's quite a few lens flares in the trailer :P

No kidding!

The whole concept just seems very anti-climatic now. I always find prequels problematic at best and am usually not thrilled at the prospect. Rogue One is a perfect example of where it can work because you are dealing with events, not main characters. Yes, we know how it ends, but we don't know the details that led up to that conclusion.

A Han Solo origin movie is less interesting because it's just a glimpse at the early life of a character we have already lived, laughed, loved, and died with. His arc is complete. The beginning hardly seems to matter now because the character's arc is already complete. We know what happens to him in four whole movies, and how he meets his end. Watching him as a younger self, I cannot shake the notion that I am just watching a dead man walking. That's honestly how I felt about watching Anakin in the prequels, and there was no sense of suspense because I knew how his tale would end.

Speaking of young Han Solo, is the story about him being a young imperial officer who rescues Chewbacca from slavery even valid anymore? I can't recall if that was Lucas canon or expanded universe.
This Space for Rent

All of what you said Val could be applied to the Boba Fett movie. I think disney was really playing it safe with this first wave of movies. We returned to an era of Star Wars that people knew about and loved and we see a continuation of the main Skywalker storyline. We get a spin-off based around the stealing of the plans for the Death Star and two spin-offs based around two very iconic characters. Though Boba is considered iconic, I never personally understood the appeal and probably will skip on his movie. Whilst I appreciate Han Solo as a character, I'm not looking forward to seeing another person's interpretation of him.

I'm still holding out hope Disney will be brave and break away from this timeline at some point and maybe go back to the dawn of the Jedi era or go hundreds of years forward from the new Sequel Trilogy so we start with a very blank canvas.

Return to “Star Trek & Star Wars”