Re: Pure StarWars Discussion

"Star Wars" Goes Blu-ray & Post-Jedi

By Garth Franklin Monday April 19th 2010 08:52AM
Lucasfilm's PR rep Steve Sansweet revealed on the weekend that a Blu-ray boxset of the six "Star Wars" movies is currently being worked on and the release "won’t be in the too distant future" he tells IGN.
Sansweet claims work on the set has been underway for several years and will be filled with lots of extra material including "all kinds of scenes from dailies that have never been seen before."
Sansweet refused to mention a release date, but The Digital Bits claims a rough target of October 2011 is on the cards.
Meanwhile Best of Luck has hinted that the upcoming CG animated sitcom set in the 'Wars' universe that Seth Green and Matthew Seinreich are developing will be set in a post-"Return of the Jedi" time period.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Sedhal""]***?! ....................[/quote]

My words exactly.

So we're getting Robot Chicken + Family Guy done in cg and set post-RotJ?!?

Can't wait to see how much worse than Clone Wars this is going to bomb. Anyone hear anything further about the live-action series that was supposed to take place between the two trilogies?
This Space for Rent

Sitcom? ummmmmmm cg. I have lost hope in this society. I can just picture jerry seinfeld walking out only to be swallowed by a sarlacc and then jerry says" so whats the deal with being digested so slowly by this sarlacc" (time for canned laughter) then you see boba fett as kramer "woooo its like a sarlacc in here". I apologize if you don't watch seinfeld none of this would have made any tangible sense
 ! Warning
The signature picture extension is not installed.
Its a Trap-admiral ackbar

It's thought provoking to say the least.
Osama Ben Kenobi? Hero to some, villian to others.
Barrack Vader; AKA Barader? Leader to some,.... :|
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Well, I thought it was funny.[/quote]
It is funny. At the same time you gotta wonder what else may have been it's objective. I mean, most would agree that Obi Wan was a good guy, the rebel alliance are the good guys, and it's the Galactic Empire that is evil.
It's a bit warped.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]It is funny. At the same time you gotta wonder what else may have been it's objective. I mean, most would agree that Obi Wan was a good guy, the rebel alliance are the good guys, and it's the Galactic Empire that is evil.
It's a bit warped.[/quote]

True that. Somehow I doubt that an online star wars newspaper is sympathizing with radical muslims though. But...the world is a crazy place. :|
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Beans22""]Sitcom? ummmmmmm cg. I have lost hope in this society. I can just picture jerry seinfeld walking out only to be swallowed by a sarlacc and then jerry says" so whats the deal with being digested so slowly by this sarlacc" (time for canned laughter) then you see boba fett as kramer "woooo its like a sarlacc in here". I apologize if you don't watch seinfeld none of this would have made any tangible sense[/quote]

*busts out in utter laughter* That was terrific. It has completely made my day. :D

I dont know what is going on lately Sed, we have been agreeing with each other way too much. I have to admit, that cover on the entire series is hideous. It looks like it would have been the cover to a random Star Wars book or something, it in no way, for me encompasses the entire series. I get what they are trying to do, from the boy Anakin to Luke, but it isn't working for me

When you have people like Drew Struzan painting masterpieces for film posters and various covers for the past thirty years, all this photoshopped crap will never look good. Especially considering Star Wars has such iconic choices for visuals they could choose, they go for a dull picture of Anakin in the desert... I mean, really? I'm just tired of seeing definitive blu-ray releases not measuring up to the already-proven potential from the past.
-_-

Maybe it's just a box that holds the individual movies in their separate cases with unique artwork on each? I know it's too much to hope for but it's remotely possible. Many DVD sets in the past were done like that, and if you didn't like the box sleeve, you could just toss it, but these days they do it as a cost-saving measure and the discs are just put into some fold-out clips and that's it. I agree that Anakin/Luke cover looks like crap. In fact, anything that reminds me of what a fiasco Phantom Menace was looks like crap to me. :P
This Space for Rent

I am torn... buying the BD Ep 1-3 and 4-6 sets would cost the same as buying the Ep 1-6 edition, but you don't get 3 discs of extras. I love the artwork of the 2 individual sets, but the 1-6 edition is appalling. Has anyone seen if the 1-6 set box is just cover art and the two sets of trilogies have the nice packaging as if you bought them separately.

I would love to have the three discs worth of extras, but, like I said, I love the artwork on the individual sets.

Until we get closer to the release date I doubt we will see what the box set looks like on the inside. With the LOTR BD set that just came out, eventually they started to release promo photos that showed all the stuff inside. As soon as those appear, I will be making my decision on which version to buy.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Sedhal""]I already know which I plan on owning... The original DVD releases, still.[/quote]

"Original" is still a bit of a misnomer in this case, especially given your subsequent comment on further alterations. Unless you are referring to the uber-crappy quality, non-remastered and unaltered originals which Lucas barely deigned to release a couple of years ago, all other DVD versions and both of these new BD versions are NOT the original theatrical releases of these movies. We haven't had those since the days of VHS, and I don't count that one DVD release because good ol' George couldn't be bothered to even clean them up a little bit.

So, unless you are talking about that afterthought release, the original DVDs can hardly be said to refer to the original movies in their original state.
This Space for Rent

I never said theatrical, I said "original DVD releases", as in: the first-released on DVD which I currently own. And I have no intention of upgrading something to blu-ray for a costly sum that I hardly give two craps about. Of course, he could release the theatricals on BD and then I would buy them. Unlike LOTR EEs, it makes no sense to me, to keep buying the same altered copies of movies across multiple formats with they're neither ideal, nor otherwise different from their previous releases.
-_-

Yep, that's exactly what I thought you meant but I felt it only fair to clarify the difference for the benefit of anyone else reading our posts.

You'd be amazed (or not) at how many people still get roped into buying these movies when they see the words "original," thinking it actually means the unaltered original versions of decades ago. These days, when referring to Star Wars, "Original Trilogy" simply means the first three movies in all their craptastically CGI-altered glory, not what actually came out in theatres long ago.

Having said that, I own the same DVD set you do, and the TE originals on VHS. I'm on the fence about buying this BD version: on the one hand I share your sentiment on the distaste for the alterations and constant re-re-re-re-rereleases of these movies, and on the other hand, being a recent BD convert, I would like to see them in the best possible image quality and just grit my teeth when Greedo shoots first and the new Anakin ghost pops up. :angry:
This Space for Rent

I have never owned star wars on DVD... I have been waiting all these years. I didn't really watch Star Wars as a kid other than in passing, I think we owned them on VHS and my parents watched them. I didn't really watch them until the prequels were going to come out, so I never e xp erienced the ORIGINAL theatrical editions vs the altered editions, be it, I did see Return of the Jedi and without young Anakin ghost, but as far as the original Greedo/Han Solo scene, I don't know if I ever saw the original, or I don't remember it.

I grew up with the theatricals on VHS and I remember my dad taking us to see Episode IV's special edition. I wondered why some of the laser colors were altered and why Jabba was CGI. I can remember wondering that... yet now when I think of Star Wars, those special editions and DVD-changes come to mind. It would be pretty cool to watch those old theatricals on blu-ray someday and have a bit of nostalgia rather than fresh disdain.
-_-

Fresh disdain is one of Lucas' specialties!

If I were a tad more cynical, I'd say that Lucas is just holding out on the original versions, so he can make everyone spend more money for another double dip. However, I'm not quite cynical enough to believe that. I truly think that he believes what he says, that the "improved" versions are the real deal, the original versions are rough drafts, and they "don't exist" to him. And because Lucas has more money than Croesus, he has surrounded himself with people whose vocabulary consists of two words, "Yes, George," and he does what he wants.

However, he did grudgingly release the unrestored original versions on DVD a few years back, and I would e xp ect that in a few years we will have the option to get the unrestored original versions on BD. To me, there would be no point in that. If they're not going to restore them, the unrestored DVD version is good enough. But we could talk ourselves Blu in the face trying to fathom the "logic" of Lucas.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

[quote=""Valkrist""]Regarding George and his Yes-men, you'll want to read this: http://blastr.com/2011/06/did-george-lucas-tell-sim.php[/quote]
I'll agree with the vast majority;
The StarWars prequels totally sucked. They were a total let down.
I thought I would have remained a Star Wars fan for life. :angry:

[quote=""Olorin""]Not to accuse Simon Pegg of lying, but it's kind of hard to imagine that Lucas actually admitted the prequels were not what they could have been.[/quote]
I doubt he did admit it because I think the prequels were exactly what he wanted them to be; aimed at a new generation of younger viewers. It's those of us who saw the originals who felt let down.
What kid would be attracted to prequels aimed at pleasing the original fans?
Thus we get Phantom Menace and a little kid, and Attack of the clones and a teenager.
Now that the new audience has been hooked, lets try to bring the original fans back into it with Revenge of the Sith.

Lucas had all of us in the bag and he knew it, then we got to the theater for the first and.....

You know I seriously remember exactly what I said after watching Phantom,
"I guess George Lucas wants new fans and doesn't care about who put him where he is."
I felt like he betrayed us.
Last edited by Thranduil on Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I tend to agree that Lucas made the films exactly the way he wanted. Can we really blame him, they are HIS movies, HIS ideas, etc.

Yes, the originals may have shown a lot more talent in some aspects, due to the puppets and miniatures and the other FX abilities back in the days of the original series, but I think that if Lucas started the Original trilogy in the 90s, they would look exactly like the Prequels did, very flashy and CGI-ish and you would have had someone like Hayden Christenson playing Luke instead of Anakin, its all about the times.

CGI has its place I believe, I think a puppet Gollum would have been horrible and I still think the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park have stood the test of time for almost the last 20 years.

Like I have said many times.. I wasn't an original, original trilogy watcher, I knew the basic plot and events, but one of my biggest gripes with the Prequel trilogy, again watching it for the first time at roughly 17 or so and not being a hardcore fan before hand was I would have NEVER thought of Darth Vader EVER being the kid in Phantom Menace. I would have imagined someone falling to the darkside like Anakin did, starting off as some little kid with an attitude, not a punk kid, but not an innocent momma's boy (yes I know her death and everything was a catalyst in his fall to the darkside, but he was TOO good in ep 1)

Another gripe I have isn't directly at the CGI, but just the fact that the technology and space ships LOOKED newer and more advanced than they did in the prequel, well they would have been "newer" so to speak, but not more advanced.

One last thing, I thought the Jedi should have had the different colored light sabers, just because we only saw the green and blue ones in the OT, the what, three light sabers we saw. other than Vaders, were green and blue, does not make a representative sample of light saber colors, just happened to be that Luke's Obi-Wan's and Anakin's were blue and green.

[quote=""BladeCollector""]Yes, the originals may have shown a lot more talent in some aspects, due to the puppets and miniatures and the other FX abilities back in the days of the original series, but I think that if Lucas started the Original trilogy in the 90s, they would look exactly like the Prequels did, very flashy and CGI-ish and you would have had someone like Hayden Christenson playing Luke instead of Anakin, its all about the times.[/quote]

I don't have any problem with the pervasive CGI in the prequels, although the land-based sequences in TPM look a bit dodgy now. I think that things that were a problem in the original trilogy—hokey dialogue and indifferent acting—were elevated to an art form in the prequels.

[quote=""BladeCollector""]...one of my biggest gripes with the Prequel trilogy...was I would have NEVER thought of Darth Vader EVER being the kid in Phantom Menace. [/quote]

I think Lucas wanted us to fall in love with that innocent kid to make his fall to the Dark Side all that much more tragic. I don't know whether that would ever be a workable idea or not. The way the prequels played out, it wasn't. What ever one thought about child Anakin in Ep. I, most people hated whiney teenager/young man Anakin in Eps. II and III. In order for this thing to work as a tragedy, you have to have some simpatico for the character...and I had none at all. It's easy to lay that at Hayden Christiansen's feet, but his acting is fine in other movies with other directors. And I doubt even Olivier could have pulled off some of the excruciating dialog that Lucas wrote for the character, particularly involving the love story.

What Lucas should have done was written the story outline for the prequels and then given it to other people, competent people, to write the screenplay and direct the thing. If he had done that, we would not be having this discussion....

Did we really fail to talk about how Disney has bought Lucasfilm, or did it get posted in the Chatbox.

Anyway, the latest rumor is so putrid I almost can't stomach posting it. Supposedly Disney is thinking strongly about resurrecting Darth Vader for the sequels. That would totally undermine his redemption in ROTJ, unless they make him into a "good terminator" like Arnold in T2...and I can't see that.

Ugh, we are all going to rue the day that Lucas sold this thing.

[quote=""Olorin""]Did we really fail to talk about how Disney has bought Lucasfilm, or did it get posted in the Chatbox.

Anyway, the latest rumor is so putrid I almost can't stomach posting it. Supposedly Disney is thinking strongly about resurrecting Darth Vader for the sequels. That would totally undermine his redemption in ROTJ, unless they make him into a "good terminator" like Arnold in T2...and I can't see that.

Ugh, we are all going to rue the day that Lucas sold this thing.[/quote]

Blah, I knew this was going to end in catastrophe... But I mean, already? Gaah.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

I'm sure there are going to be all sorts of wild rumours coming out now, most of them preying on the wildest fears of Star Wars fans. This one is certainly at the top of the heap, but if there's even an ounce of truth to it, which I doubt, I pray there is someone with common sense along the line that will put a stop to such utter folly.

If not, Disney will kill this franchise faster than five more re-edits from Lucas. I doubt they are going to throw away all that money they paid for this on some harebrained idea like this one.
This Space for Rent

Return to “Star Trek & Star Wars”