Re: Pure StarWars Discussion

Well I am a little surprised that no one has posted a link to the Obi-wan trailer or commented on it. Let's remedy that. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=***

And here's a comment: I am looking forward to this, and hope they don't screw it up. Obi-wan was always my favorite character in Star Wars, both in the original trilogy and in the prequels, and his portrayal by Ewan McGregor was a particular highlight of the prequels. We've all talked about our disappointments with the sequel trilogy, and I personally have not found The Mandalorian to be the second coming of Star Wars that so many other folks believe it to be. Without Grogu, it would've been a waste, at least for me. And I have not even watched Boba Fett yet, never having been one of those that was gaga about him.

I also enjoyed watching this brief breakdown of the Obi-wan trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7fV7Ffl5Tk Based on it, I guess I'm going to have to make a point to watch Boba Fett, the Bad Batch, and maybe even the Clone Wars to have a full foundation for Obi-wan.

We know Hayden Christiansen is coming back as Darth Vader in this series. I for one am excited about that, as it should give him a chance to redeem himself under a competent director for the unfortunate shellacking he received in the prequels. But here's the big question to me: will we be treated to another visit with Emperor Palpatine? I sure hope so.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Olorin, from memory I don’t think you really need to watch Boba Fett for Obi Wan. There’s nothing pertaining to him in there I don’t think, and also I personally really disliked the show so much I cannot recommend it. Think Mandalorian but worse, much, much worse. The only episode I really loved from The Mandalorian and for me was probably one of the best Star Wars moments was the episode where they introduced Ahsoka in live action.

I would say though that The Book of Boba Fett continues some story elements from The Mandalorian so it’s probably worth watching it for that, but I personally never want to sit through it again. I found it very meandering and I finished the series with the overwhelming feeling of “what the hell was the point of all that?” It also reverses a big story element from the end of Mandalorian season 2 and just ruins any dramatic potential they had built up.

Rebels and Fallen Order the video game would probably be better places to start, as some characters have definitely carried across into the show - the Grand Inquisitor in particular. He doesn’t appear in Fallen Order, however, the Inquisitors are the main villains in that game so it’s a nice way of getting to see more about them but also playing a pretty great video game.

Clone Wars is fun too but again I don’t think you’ll need to watch all of that to enjoy or understand this show.

This is the show I’m most excited for from Disney so I’m hoping it’s going to be great.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Lindir wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:09 am I personally never want to sit through it again. I found it very meandering and I finished the series with the overwhelming feeling of “what the hell was the point of all that?”
My thoughts exactly. Even though there were a few episodes of the Mandalorian I liked, I did not consider that a particularly good show. I thought the book of Bubba was terrible. I had hopes that it would correct the problems I had with the Madalorian, but they just doubled down on what did not work for that show. What is sad is that there were a lot of interesting character and story ideas, but they were all terribly executed.

They essentially managed to make Fett into a more inept and bumbling bounty hunter than the Madalorian was. I would never have imagined that was possible. It seemed like it was written by a 6 year old for a 5 year old. Very directionless and cringe worthy.

After reading that the original Obi-Wan series writer and director were canned just as they started casting the show, I had the feeling that it was going to be yet another Disney hack job. I looked up the past credits of the new writer and director, and it does not inspire any confidence in me that this new show is going to be anything other than more of the same mess. I hope I am wrong, but the Disney/Lucasfilm track record for live action SW has been dismal.
KRDS

Well I think you two have convinced me not to waste my time watching "Bubba" Fett (LOL), or at least not to feel like I have to. I had heard elsewhere it was pretty lackluster. It is also reassuring to know that you were not crazy about the Mandalorian. Now I know it wasn't just me. So many people seem to like it, so I'm guessing for most people, if it looks like Star Wars, that's enough. In any case, since Disney+ doesn't seem to put its shows out on Blu-ray, that has spared me any deliberation over whether it would be worth buying. The only reason I'm even streaming Disney+ is that I'm on a family plan and it's not costing me anything. Well, walking that back a little, I will say the I enjoyed the WandaVision and Loki shows, especially the former. Though I don't know if I would have enjoyed them as much if I were actually paying for it....

I really, really hope they don't screw up Obi-wan but your words have filled me with emptiness, Kit.... And the ironic thing in all of this is that when all of us older fans were bemoaning the lackluster prequel trilogy, we didn't know it could get worse...and make the prequels shine in comparison.

Olorin wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:17 am Well I think you two have convinced me not to waste my time watching "Bubba" Fett (LOL)
I think it was one of my nephews that came up with that. I think Bubba Fatt is what they called him, because it was an old guy with a prominent gut playing him, rather than the way he looked in the original movies.
Olorin wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:17 am I'm guessing for most people, if it looks like Star Wars, that's enough
That's really the only good aspect of both shows, IMO. Most of it looks like the old SW. Great job replicating some of the old sets and scenery, and a lot of the new locations looked great. I just wish the rest of those shows lived up to that.
Olorin wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:17 amI really, really hope they don't screw up Obi-wan but your words have filled me with emptiness
Sorry. Maybe we will get lucky and it will turn out good. After feeling burned by the last two movies and two tv shows, I'm done. If I hear it is good I'll give it a try, but I really have zero interest in any new SW at this point.
KRDS

I agree with what Kit said.

I’m suffering serious Star Wars fatigue at the moment. Looking back on all the stories, I still retain the feeling that, for me, KOTOR 1 and 2 are the most interesting stories, with some aspects of TOR also being in there. The Ahsoka episode in season 2 of The Mandalorian I would also add there.

These stories resonate more deeply with me than anything else we’ve received in the Star Wars universe. I think for me what’s irking me is there doesn’t seem to be a plan, even with The Mandalorian show I don’t think they have any idea where they want it to go just yet. I really really hope the Obi Wan show is good but we’ll have to wait and see.

Yeh I see that too but I disagree completely. People say that and fan cast Keanu Reaves as Revan. Please no.

I think KOTOR 1 and 2 work so well because they are games and they’re RPGs. I think it would be hard to condense it into a movie but also I don’t think a series will work either. The story is informed by your decisions, and that will never be the case with a movie or tv show.

I’d kinda like it if they just left it alone haha, but they are remaking it though. I’ll probably give it a try once it comes out. I feel they will adjust the story to fit with the new canon though. The old story never really married up with the old canon anyway but Lucasfilm seem a little stricter on that now.

There’s plenty of walkthroughs that focus mainly on the story elements Olorin, but I realise to someone who doesn’t game it would probably be fairly uninteresting.

I havent seen the Obi trailer yet, as I have tried to avoid trailers these days and just go in the show or movie "blind"

Speaking of Mando and Boba/Bubba Fett... I liked the idea behind them, but overall, I was rather bored with both. Ironically, Mando bored me but Boba bored me even more that the episode of Boba that had Mando in it was my favorite episode.

I never got the appeal of Boba Fett, to me, he was a background character at the most and had an almost comical death (to me) bringing him back was like "meh." Not trying to take away from anyone that loves Boba or the series, I just didnt care much for it. With that said, its one of those shows that I will probably continue to watch just because its part of the overall Star Wars journey for me.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

BladeCollector wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:13 am ever got the appeal of Boba Fett, to me, he was a background character at the most and had an almost comical death (to me) bringing him back was like "meh." Not trying to take away from anyone that loves Boba or the series, I just didnt care much for it.
Amen to that. I watched a funny video the other day (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4snG49CxhVw) about Glup Shitto, a fictitious Star Wars background character. It's a sendup both of Star Wars' propensity to give truly absurd names and of fandom's propensity to latch onto background characters whose names aren't even spoken in the movie and elevate them to a Luke or Vader level of status and esteem. Boba Fett very nearly falls into the realm for me. True, he did play a small but very visible role in TESB but he wasn't even named onscreen until ROTJ, where he suffered a truly humiliating (false) death in a seeming poke at his worshippers.

Did you ever get round to watching the shows Olorin?

Kenobi wasn’t great. Started out promising but quickly went meh I felt. It was great seeing Ewan back in the role, but I wish it could have been better.

Andor is superior than all the shows so far. I get why people say it’s boring but personally I’m really enjoying it.

I recently went back and rewatched the prequels and the original animated short series of the clone wars whilst I was doing research for a creative project. I do now agree with some criticism that there was something that made Star Wars what it was and now it’s gone. I definitely believe it was George Lucas. You can feel his presence in all his work.

The sequels - though they had superior characters - struggled with story and world building. Palpatine’s shock return and The First Order could have been better but ultimately failed as villains because they weren’t set up properly.

We never really got a genuine explanation for why Kylo went bad. I hope that when Star Wars returns to the cinema it does so moving away from the Skywalker’s and the empire era. They’re setting up the high republic and are already producing a show set in that era called The Acolyte, but I feel they need to set it up with a movie trilogy first to establish the main story before doing any tv shows.

Lindir wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:05 pm
I recently went back and rewatched the prequels and the original animated short series of the clone wars whilst I was doing research for a creative project. I do now agree with some criticism that there was something that made Star Wars what it was and now it’s gone. I definitely believe it was George Lucas. You can feel his presence in all his work.
Which is ironic since back then, the people who didnt like the prequels complained that George Lucas ruined Star Wars.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Lindir wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:05 pm Did you ever get round to watching the shows Olorin?

Kenobi wasn’t great. Started out promising but quickly went meh I felt. It was great seeing Ewan back in the role, but I wish it could have been better.

Andor is superior than all the shows so far. I get why people say it’s boring but personally I’m really enjoying it.

The sequels - though they had superior characters - struggled with story and world building. Palpatine’s shock return and The First Order could have been better but ultimately failed as villains because they weren’t set up properly.

We never really got a genuine explanation for why Kylo went bad. I hope that when Star Wars returns to the cinema it does so moving away from the Skywalker’s and the empire era. They’re setting up the high republic and are already producing a show set in that era called The Acolyte, but I feel they need to set it up with a movie trilogy first to establish the main story before doing any tv shows.
Yes I did, sort of. Like you, I found Kenobi to be quite a bit of a letdown. Parts of it were great but part not so much. There is a 2.5 hour fan edit of it out there that is supposed to be like the "good parts" version of the Princess Bride, if you get that reference. I think overall, the series was a good demonstration of the fact that they have enough story for a movie but not a series. Let's hope Season 2 (and there probably will be one) is more deserving of the name and Ewan McGregor's talent.

I am somewhere in Season 5 of the Clone Wars. I think overall the show is very worthy, but I am only watching in fits and starts. Prior to the Kenobi debut, I was binging it hard as I'd heard there would be lots of references to in in Kenobi. I was probably only about a season and a half into it before Kenobi debuted, and my pace slackened off after that. I haven't watched any of it in 2 months, as I'm now deep into my annual horror movie marathon in the runup to Halloween. Once October is over, I have some new blurays to catch up on, and then I'm going to dive into binging all the newer shows that have been running lately that I've been missing out on. And by the time I finish that, it will be time for Season 5 of The Crown. So it will be a while before I get back to the Clone Wars, but I do want to finish it and also to watch Rebels.

I watched Boba Fett and also Season 2 of Mando. They were ok but nothing to write home about. Frankly, without Grogu, I don't know that they'd have been worth watching. Despite that, I am looking forward to Ahsoka. She is such a good character in the Clone Wars that I want to see her show. It's a shame in a way that the voice actress from the Clone Wars couldn't play her live action, as she has such a distinctive voice.

I've heard nothing but good about Andor so I hope it lives up to my expectations!

Kylo Ren went bad because it was a given that Han and Leia would have a kid who would fall to the Dark Side. Disney totally stole this idea and the resurgence of the Imperial Remnant (now rebranded as the First Order) from the old expanded universe, without giving any credit to those authors or bringing over any of the story-telling ability. I hate to agree with you on this, but yeah, Palpatine kind of failed as a villain in Rise of Skywalker because the writers just threw him against the wall and hoped he would stick. I totally agree with the decision to bring him back...to introduce a totally new villain at the 11th hour like Colin Trevorrow wanted to would have been a mistake...but they just really failed to do much with the old boy (let alone explain HOW he came back). At the end of the day, the #1 accomplishment of the sequels was to make people realize that hey, the prequels were good after all. In any case, I've made my peace with all of it.

Nasnandos wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:43 am
BladeCollector wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:25 am Which is ironic since back then, the people who didnt like the prequels complained that George Lucas ruined Star Wars.
Well, ultimately, he did - by selling it to Disney :)

It definitely was not getting better under his control, but at least it still felt like Star Wars. Now it just kinda looks like SW.
Exactly correct.

I get you BC. I grew up with the Prequels, I loved them as a kid but soured on them for a number of reasons. I definitely became more aware of their flaws as an adult but also the whole “ohhhhh the prequels are crap and if you like them you’re not a true fan” thing did get to me.

I don’t hate the sequels, there’s parts I still enjoy and I love Rey as a character. I just wish she had more to work with. At the end of Rise of Skywalker, you’re left feeling that her story has only just begun but really it should have felt like a conclusion.

Yes I am also excited about Ahsoka Olorin. I wasn’t overly attached to the Ahsoka in the clone wars but as soon as the live action Ahsoka turned up, I was in. Rosario is a beautiful woman and she looks amazing in costume. I’ve always loved Shaak Ti from the prequels, I love the look of the Togruta species. I’m excited to see Grand Admiral Thrawn too. Do you plan or have you watched Rebels already Olorin? The Ahsoka series I imagine will tie in very closely to Rebels.

I do agree with you Kit. It looks like Star Wars but has lost the feel of Star Wars. I think a lack of an overall vision is stifling their efforts. As I mentioned above, one of the next shows which should be out next year or in 2024 is set in the high republic era but there’s only been books set in that era so far so it’s going to be quite a jarring visual experience, especially for more casual fans of Star Wars.

After suffering through Book of Bubba and Obi-Wan, I basically decided not to waste my time on any more Disney SW. I learned my lesson and cancelled Disney. But then one of my long time friends kept telling to check out Andor. Repeatedly. Saying it's the best thing since Empire, not a bunch of cringe-bad kiddie crap written for 5 year olds, like the other shows. I did not believe it, but another friend recorded the show and loaned it to me on Blu Ray, so I gave it a watch.

Wow! It's not the best thing since Empire, but it is really good. Well written, well paced, great music, great cinematography, complex characters who are well developed. Unlike Bubba and Obi-Wan, nothing looked or felt cheap in Andor. Considering the direction Disney has been going, I don't know how Tony Gilroy got Disney on board with letting him make this, but - more please!

The first 6 episodes are really just one long movie. It starts as a slow burn and builds to a big conclusion. The second half is like another long movie. It reminded me more of THX-1138 than SW, but it's a great back story to how the rebellion started.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

So, here is an absolute earthquake bit of home entertainment news. Disney, long the champ at gaming the system on home video releases (can you say "vault?") has turned the corner and is going to start releasing its streaming series on disc. First out of the gate will be WandaVision, Loki Season 1, and the first two seasons of The Mandalorian. Only downside to me is they're being packaged in the dreaded Steelbook format. Hey, if that's your thing and you like these titles, your ship just came in. As for me, I'd have been ok not having this on disc, but Disney is finally doing the right thing. The only way to show support for that is to open my wallet, and that's precisely what I'm going to do, for all of these, as soon as the listings go up on Amazon.

Interesting.

Disney seems to be being run either by committee of late, or Bob Iger has developed Multiple Personality Disorder. Their policies and ideas have been all over the map, and I wonder if the increasing criticism and financial disappointment of their latest movie offerings (Indy 5 as an example), and the lacklustre quality of their Marvel and Star Wars products that have left a lot to be desired hasn't all combined to prompt a shift in thinking. Likely that they are looking for additional sources of revenue while simultaneously caving in to people's demands by releasing some of these things from undead Mickey Mouse's bony claw-like grip?

Honestly, with the exception of Andor, not much of what they've put out has been good enough to tempt me to shell out more money for the physical versions. I thought Obi-wan was quite poor; Book of Boba Fett had some good ideas then got really stupid; and even the Mandalorian took a a dip in Season 3. I'm hoping Ahsoka can right the ship but I'm dubious. As for Marvel, just finished Secret Invasion and I think they squandered a great idea with a lame finish. Then there's the upcoming Loki S2, and quite frankly, I'm tired of the character.

Still, I think this is great and they will sell well. I feel bad for the fans in Australia because Disney has recently announced that they will no longer release physical media in that part of the world. So weird.

So, what do you have against steelbooks? It's a just another type of disc package, no?
This Space for Rent

It is just another type of packaging, but it costs more and adds nothing as far as I am concerned. At least, I haven't seen anything to cause me to think that there's a benefit. I don't think I have any true steel books, though back in the day I had two different copies of Terminator 2 that had metal slip cases that tended to tear the clear plastic outer layer on other movie cases.

And yes it's true, other than Andor Disney hasn't really done that much that merits physical immortality. But like I say, in order to support the decision and support physical media while I still can, I'm going to take the plunge.

I agree, Andor is the only season I’d consider buying at this point. Recently rewatched it again and it’s great from start to finish. I have my fingers crossed for Ahsoka though and I hope they don’t squander the potential.

Mandalorian season 3 was pretty meh and tbf I don’t have any desire to see that story continue. I hate that they undid the great ending they set up in season 2. They knew Mando couldn’t sustain a show on his own so that’s why Grogu was brought back.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I not only liked season three of the Mandalorian, I liked it better than the first two seasons. Part of that may be due to circumstances. At the time I watched the first two seasons, I hadn't watched any of the older animated shows like the clone wars and rebels. With Ahsoka coming this month, over the summer I made a concerted effort to catch up on those older shows, and consequently I now know who some of these characters who keep showing up in the Mandalorian, like Bo-Kataan are, and it made a lot more sense to me. Also, the first two seasons just felt like a western in space to me. I mean, you've got Timothy Olyphant playing a sheriff, How more western does it get than that?

I hope they don't screw Ahsoka up. She was a wonderful character in the two animated series I mentioned.

Return to “Star Trek & Star Wars”