Re: Star Trek XI

I've often thought things along those lines, or more precisely, if some of the best Trek novels could be adapted for movies. Paramount has obviously never been interested in doing that. It's probably just as well...part of what makes some of the novels so good is the depth of detail they go into, which would be lost in adaption to a movie.

Actually, Judith and Gar Reeves-Stevens, accomplished Trek authors, did some writing for Enterprise, I believe. Off the top of my head, I couldn't tell you what they wrote, though.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Yea... sometimes the Trek fans have the best ideas and best background knowledge to write a good movie. Some of the trek authors are indeed some good Trek writers, but don't take away from the Trek writers on the TV shows, like Ira Behr... those are the guys that should write the movies.

Heck... Val, Olorin and I could probably write a pretty good movie... if I do say so myself.

[quote=""BladeCollector""]Heck... Val, Olorin and I could probably write a pretty good movie... if I do say so myself.[/quote]

If I got the green light to write a Trek script it would likely involve having Kirk come back to life in the prime continuity and then do everything in his power to undo that mockery of an alternate timeline that we have now and wipe it from existence (but not without rescuing Spock Prime out of it first.) :P
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]If I got the green light to write a Trek script it would likely involve having Kirk come back to life in the prime continuity and then do everything in his power to undo that mockery of an alternate timeline that we have now and wipe it from existence (but not without rescuing Spock Prime out of it first.) :P [/quote]

Well, with quantum probability universe theory, for any decision point in which the alternate reality is prevented (e.g., Spock gets to the Hobus supernova in time to consume it with the black hole, and deranged Nero is not thrown back in time), there is also the outcome that Spock fails and the alternate timeline is created.

Personally, I have a hard time wrapping my head around the concept that there are countless alternate realities, each stemming from some binary yes/no moment where both outcomes occurred. I much prefer a simple altered timeline story. But the quantum theory let Abrams & Co have their cake and eat it too.

At the end of the day, I think we're stuck with the alternate universe until an Abrams Trek bombs and Paramount hands the franchise off to someone else.

A few years ago, I had the idea of a 3 part movie, involving pretty much everyone that would do it from TNG, DS9 and Voyager... dealing with the resurgence of the Borg and taking a little of the Shatner/Reese-Stevens books involving Kirk's return and the Borg and the Borg homeworld and tie in V'Ger to the Borg.

But we digress, this should be a thread of its own "What would Olorin, Val and Blade do in a Star Trek movie" thread

There really isn't much to talk about ST XI anymore, haha. Not that I hated the movie, but I think I could hold a longer conversation about The Final Frontier than I could this movie.

Booo-urns!

Previous Trek films deserved better nods than this throwaway Oscar. By the way, it was pointed out that having Chris Pine introduce District 9 as one of the nominees for best picture was a slap in the face, since it is widely held that Star Trek was snubbed to make room for D9.

I say too bad! D9 was a far superior film and these people really need to get over the fact that Trek truly did not deserve to make that list. Popularity, flashy effects, and big box office returns can't buy you an Oscar. Just ask James Cameron or Michael Bay.
This Space for Rent

It continues to surprise me that people seriously thought Star Trek was worth of a best pic nom, even in a field of ten. Star Trek issues aside, it was an ok movie, but best pic? Seriously? I think there are a lot of people out there too close to the trees to see the forest. Or too close to the stars to see the galaxy, if that's a more apt analogy.

By a similar token, I was surprised that District 9 was nominated. It was a good movie, but not one that made me say "Best Picture!" when I saw it.

At the end of the day, though, I guess I'm just relieved that Avatar did not win, though honestly I can't say I really care enough about the Oscars any more to worry about the implications of an Avatar win. But to indulge in a little Schadenfreude, if there was something sweeter than it not winning and Cameron thereby not receiving another reinforcement to his and its already overblown status, it's that it was beaten by Cameron's ex-wife (one of the many).

I just watched Star Trek again (third time). I felt Carl Urban nailed Bones the first time I watched it, he did so well that he needs to tone it down so the others can catch up.
Upon this third viewing, I must say that all of the new actors are winning me over.
Chris Pine does manage to bring out Kirk in many e xp ressions and mannerisms.
Quinto does Spock great but his voice is in such utter contrast to Nimoy's that I just can't buy it. He's Spock until he speaks and then...wimpy whisper light non threatening no authority voice comes out.
I don't know the other actors names but find them all to be believable in their roles.
The next film will probably win me over, this one is definitely growing on me.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Return to “Star Trek & Star Wars”