Re: Star Trek XI

[quote=""BladeCollector""]What was Nero doing for 20+ years?
Why did Spock come out 20+ years later, but was instantaneous for himself?
What is Spock prime going to do now?
I wonder if Klingons in this parallel timeline have smooth or bumpy foreheads? I'd like JJ to figure that one out.
And did I miss something, but did Kirk get promoted to Captain immediately out of the Academy?[/quote]

This was filmed but cut due to length. The Narada was disabled by the Kelvin's crash and the Klingons captured the Romulans and threw them into Rura Penthe. The transmission that Uhura translated (refered to but not shown early in the movie) was about the Romulans' escape from Rura Penthe.

Spock's greatly different arrival time relative to the Romulans...vagaries of time travel by black hole. All you have to do is hit it at a different angle, or different speed, and come out in a different place or time....

Spock Prime is going to help establish a Vulcan survivors' colony.

I hope JJ stays away from the Klingons. Not only will he likely find a way to screw something up, like making Kronos a planet in Earth's solar system, but also the Klingons have been done to death in the movies and all the TV series.

No you did not miss something...Kirk is promoted straight from cadet to Captain of the Enterprise. So much for the Farragut or any of the other ships he served on in the prime timeline. Yet another "advantage" of throwing canon out...Kirk is now captain of the Enterprise ~5 or more years earlier than he should have been, and all the seasoning and e xp erience he would have gained on those other ships will now have to be gained in the captain's seat of the E, if it all.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

From TrekMovie, thumbs up from the Trekker-in-Chief:
Since his election last year, there has been a lot of talk about how President Obama is fan of Star Trek and even many mainstream media comparisons to him and Trek’s Mr. Spock. And now the Trekkie-in-chief has gone on the record to talk about the new Star Trek movie in a new interview with Newsweek. We have his review below plus Friday box office and more Saturday tidbits.
President Obama reviews Star Trek
President Obama’s comments on the new Star Trek movie come from a Newsweek interview titled ‘A Highly Logical Approach‘, which was conducted last Wednesday. The bit about Trek is at the end, here the excerpt:And the last movie you saw?
Now, movies I’ve been doing OK [with] because it turns out we got this nice theater on the ground floor of my house … So Star Trek, we saw this weekend, which I thought was good. Everybody was saying I was Spock, so I figured I should check it out and—[the president makes the Vulcan salute with his hand].
Very good.
Yes, absolutely.
Did you watch that when you were growing up?
I used to love Star Trek. You know, Star Trek was ahead of its time. There was a whole—the special effects weren’t real good, but the storylines were always evocative, you know, there was a little commentary and a little pop philosophy for a 10-year-old to absorb.
A lot of U.N. stuff.
Yes, exactly, right.

New York Times illustration of Obama as Spock
This marks the first time a US President has given a review of a Star Trek film, while it is in theaters. The only other recount of a Presidential screening of Star Trek film at the White House comes from Ronald Reagan’s diary, where he wrote on June 23rd 1984 "After dinner we ran "Star Trek III." It wasn’t too good."

I guess it's a good thing Kirk wasn't assigned to the Farragut since that ship bought the farm along with five others while battling Nero over Vulcan. When the sequel(s) come, I wonder how many times we'll get hammered with the line "He made captain in only three years!!!"

I'm betting they are going to ditch the whole 'five-year mission' thing since the concept doesn't lend itself to movie format at all. Given the writer's comments about how great it is that Khan, Soran, etc are all still out there, I can't wait to see all the great and cool ways that they are going to show the same villains again in new and exciting adventures that we've never seen before. (sarcasm)

My vote goes to Enrique Iglesias as Khan, Jamie Fox as Kruge, and Justin Timberlake as Soran. That way they can all have a sing-along at the end and look hot for all the chicks at the same time.

Kidding aside, my hope for the next movie is that they listen to the fans and tone done some of the more out-there aspects: no Spock-Uhura romance (as BD pointed out, dating your student/subordinate...most unprofessional), tweak the look of the thing a bit (cut back on the lens flares, maybe have Engineering look a bit more like Engineering and a bit less like Anheuser-Busch, and what's with the viewscreen being an actual window?), and generally try to be a bit more Star Trek and a bit less Star Wars. Unfortunately, the current film's box office and all the critical accolades are going to vindicate (in their eyes) all the filmmakers' choices.

Just remembered a new pre-alternate universe continuity nitpick:

The uniforms of the Kelvin crew all have the Enterprise symbol on them. Since clearly this is a crew and ship from a time before Nero showed up to mess things up, the Kelvin should have had its own distinctive logo like all the other TOS Starfleet ships did, or a badge like the crew of the NX-01 Enterprise from Archer's time. By the time we see Kirk and cronies at Starfleet Academy later in the movie, they all wear the same symbol again, even though they have not been assigned to a ship yet. Of course, by now it can safely be assumed that the old and iconic Enterprise symbol has become synonymous with Starfleet. However, it is wrong on the Kelvin and just another example of a slip up by the smug writers.

It should be noted that even in the normal Trek universe, that same symbol does eventually get used by all of Starfleet, but this did not take place until much later, and only after the Enterprise completed its five-year mission. Prior to and during that time, all other vessels of the line had their own insignia, which I thought was a neat idea and easily distinguished crews on planets and starbases. I wonder how they can tell these days (without asking) who is serving on what ship when a ton of Starfleet personnel gets together? :huh:

Another thing:

The more I think about the new size of the Enterprise, the more ridiculous it seems to be. It's like Abrams was some nerdy kid that wanted to put his toys on steroids for no discernible reason other than to say "mine is bigger than yours!"

To put things in perspective, consider some of the other ships in that size comparison chart:

- the NCC 1701-A (and prior versions) had a crew complement between 400-500 people.

- Battlestar Galactica, when fully staffed, had a crew of over 5000 people.

Now look at how much bigger that new Enterprise is, and tell me if that makes any sense? Allowing for the fact that there might be lot of empty space in there, and that the nacelles are uninhabited, that's still a lot of real estate to have lying around with no one in it, and that's assuming the crew is around 2500 people. By comparison, the crew of Picard's Enterprise D was just over 1000 people (including families) and again, with nacelles, an engineering deck, and two shuttle bays (areas which would not have large numbers of crew in them.) So what gives with this super-sized (and super-silly) Enterprise? Just how many people does she have aboard? How many thousands are needed to operate that behemoth, or are we to believe that things are so much more advanced in this version of the Trek universe that the ship is largely automated and still only crewed by 428 people, like the original? If so, you can take a half-hour stroll down a main corridor and not ever run into another crew member. :huh:

JJ, I think you just wanted to add more fuel to the fire about the old debate, can the Enterprise take on a Star Destroyer, so you had to come up with your own version and say that yes, it can?

Dumb... and transparently childish.

Edit: Forgot to add (because I don't know when to shut up) that when you look at the ship during the movie scenes, it definitely does not give any indication of its titanic size compared to the original. In fact, when looking at the number of viewports, their disposition and size in comparison with the hull, and the fact that the outer circumference and border of the main saucer only appears to have two decks (only two stacks of viewports can be seen, just like the original,) this makes the new claim of its size even more ludicrous. Likewise, despite how it looks like the ship can house ten squadrons of TIE fighters in its lower hull... er... I mean... multiple shuttles, the shuttles themselves don't seem much bigger by comparison to people (or the ship itself) in relation to the old series.
Last edited by Valkrist on Tue May 19, 2009 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sorry, had to tone down your e xp letive just a tad, though I do share the sentiment.

Actually, there is an e xp lanation for that, though sadly it didn't make into the movie because... well, it would have made too much sense to e xp lain it.

In the comic book prequel, Countdown, it is revealed that the original Narada was purposefully 'infected' with retrofitted Borg nano-technology, which then cybernetically 'grew' and distorted the ship to monstruous proportions. If you look carefully in some scenes, the interior of the Narada shows some hints of Borg tech.

Talk about beating a dead horse. Man am I sick of the Kirk and Spock thing.

Now... they're going to continue with these recycled characters I'm sure. This movie was too popular not to milk for more. All the while what they SHOULD be doing is creating a new crew, skipping the dead-end television thing which only throws people off and creates barriers (let's face it, not everyone has the time to keep up with an ongoing show and this can turn people off. I'd feel less inclined to see LOST: THE MOVIE, for example, as I'd be totally left out of the loop), and go straight to a definitive film which can spark sequels if there's more to e xp lore (there always is unless we're backtracking too much). Just think of how cool a new age Star Trek would be that can stand alone and still be good. One that takes itself seriously, shows originality and innovation, and isn't fueled by novelty characters and pop culture. People seeing a movie because it's good, not because it's piggybacking on iconic characters and concepts - now there's an idea.

Sadly something like this wouldn't make nearly as much money. But that's to be e xp ected. Not important though. Filmmaking isn't an art when it becomes a popularity contest.
-_-

Brilliantly put.

Sadly, new ideas in Hollywood are few and far in between these days.

Gone is the pioneering era of innovation and creativity. Welcome to the age where mediocrity, imitation, and reprocess seem to be good enough to get by. This is the laziness we languish in.

Although I agree with the fact that they should continue into the future. I cant say that I disagree with the TV series... mainly because a TV series gives you so much time to develop characters and back-stories and all those kinds of things... in a movie you have a limited window to capture people and tell them what is going on and who these people are, unless you do a series of movies.

Star Trek has a stigma to it, maybe this movie will break that stigma and get people to watch some of the previous stuff.

As far as Lost, I know people that watch Lost everyweek and are completely lost.

I asked a friend of mine to go see Trek with me, and he said that he has never seen one, so he wouldnt know anything... I told him its a prequel, it doesn't matter....so there are still some people who don't even realize its a prequel and prior knowledge is unnecessary... but are attracted to all the pretty lights and bangs and e xp losions and sex appeal (sorry Val, I know that brings up bad memories of Spock and Uhura ... me too)

I just feel like if they want to reignite Star Trek's popularity or at least show it in a new light (one that doesn't blow) a TV series is a dead end as for reasons I've stated. Though I'm a much bigger fan of film than television. I don't find television to be as artistic or definitive and "solid", if you will. A movie can be a stand-alone masterpiece. But a television series gets messy and convoluted. A film can better capture a more dramatic arc of storytelling where things really happen. TV's gotta hold off and snail along to see where it goes. This is one of my complaints with the Star Trek film. It felt like a TV episode. Nothing happened, nobody lost anything, there was no change really. Kirk is a great man, Nero goes back in time, they kill Nero, Kirk still ends up a great man. Uhh, okay! That's not a story. That's not mindblowing or impactful. I feel like TV is the same way. At the end of an episode they still need everything left pretty much the way it was for the next ten seasons. Things only really start to get emotional during the final season where they sorta see the end coming and frantically piece together a merely adequate finale.

But that's my bias towards cinema in general. TV seems like a passtime where (good) movies seem to have more intent and meaning. A TV show seems very counterintuitive and recalls a similar attitude to what Hollywood's falling into (and it's not good). Milking the same ideas for as long as possible to ensure the largest sum of money. If the first film was truly artistically decent then why do we need more? Oh right. The TV attitude. Quantity over quality. That's the way I see it.
-_-

Speaking of Star Trek and Star Wars, here's an interview with Bob Orci from StarWars.com:
Trek Writer Roberto Orci Talks Writing, Reboots and Star Wars

May 22, 2009
By Bonnie Burton

Star Trek co-screenwriter Roberto Orci (one part of the talented writing duo that includes Alex Kurtzman) knows his way around a galaxy or two. In addition to rebooting the Star Trek franchise, he also scripted with Kurtzman, the films The Island, Transformers, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, as well as the TV show Fringe. Orci chats with Starwars.com about how Star Wars influenced the new Star Trek film, why they used new time travel ideas and the story he wishes Star Wars would tell.

When you and your writing partner Alex Kurtzman were both asked to write a new story for Star Trek, what was your first reaction?

It's can't be done! We both wanted to see Kirk and Spock again. But you can't recast icons. You can't throw away the past and reboot it. This isn't James Bond where it's known that you're going to have a new James Bond. So that was our first thought. And then our second thought was that if Spock went back in time and it was a within-canon reboot, then maybe we could get away with it. And that's how it started.

Was it daunting to try to write a script to please all hardcore Star Trek fans, or did you just go into the project wanting to write a movie that all people would enjoy?

There have been 40 years of people investing and learning about Star Trek and I didn't want to disrespect that or pretend that it never happened. So in a way the movie is both a sequel from Spock's point of view and for new fans it's an imagination of how these classic characters come back.

You and Kurtzman have both admitted to being huge Star Wars fans. How did the Star Wars saga influence your writing for Star Trek?

A New Hope is very much like an origins story. But we also looked at Superman, Godfather II and other movies that took their time to set up a character before he sets off on a journey. Doing that for Kirk and Spock was a way to introduce them. But we were also after just the way Star Wars made us feel as kids. We were more in search of a feeling than perhaps any specific archetype; that feeling of momentum and inevitability of something.

Were there any things you wanted to avoid as you were writing the script?

There's a responsibility in Star Trek to try and reflect the time that Star Trek is being made, which has always been part of its legacy. The original Star Trek came in the middle of the '60s with the Women's Movement, Civil Rights, the Cold War, and all those things are somehow reflected. Audiences, I think, are a little bit resistant to that, so we wanted to make sure that Star Trek has those things; they're subtle. They go by in a way so fast that you have to really think about it, instead of have it hit you in the face. And that was a fun challenge.

A Klingon fleet is mentioned, but we don't see any Klingons in the movie. Was it difficult not to pack the movie with every kind of well-known Star Trek race/species/character there is? Was it hard to hold back?

Knowing that we were fans of Star Trek we made the giant list of the things that we could put in. Then after we learned everything about Star Trek again, you kind of forget about it and try to tell a story. When you go through the story you find all the organic places for the things on your list that you wanted to see. There were lots of things we could cram in there that we purposely did not.

But you also have a nice selection of Star Trek Easter Eggs in the film like Archer's beagle mention, and the tribble on Scotty's desk. Who made the decision to have an R2-D2 Easter Egg?

You try to put in as many Easter Eggs as you can. The tribble was one of my favorites. So many people have seen the movie twice and still couldn't spot it. The R2-D2 Easter Egg wasn't my idea. I suspect it was J.J. and Damon.

Time travel and parallel realities are big themes in Star Trek, but another franchise you write for -- Fringe -- also plays with those same topics. Do you research academy and scientific papers, or is a lot of it made up on the fly?

We do a lot of research. We immerse ourselves in the latest theoretical musings on the subject. In Star Trek we didn't use the classic time travel ideas from the '50s with the great time travel paradox if you run into your own mother that you could affect your own birth. That sci-fi convention of time travel has been around forever, and it's great. But we wanted to do the more recent quantum mechanically-based idea of parallel realities when you travel back in time there are no paradoxes. Then if you kill your grandfather you're just creating a new timeline in which the man who would have been your grandfather is dead from your universe. So it was fun to play with a new kind of time travel. We couldn't fall on the old tricks for drama in this movie. None of the stakes in the movie are based on anyone vanishing or anything like that. It was fun to find a new twist on the time travel story.

Having Leonard Nimoy appear both on Star Trek reprising his role as Spock, and on Fringe as William Bell, -- and having them both play with the idea of time travel and parallel realities -- is an interesting crossover. Why did you want him to play such a pivtal role in Fringe?

It's an idea that Bryan Burke had when we were screening Trek in Austin, and we were there with Leonard Nimoy for a day or two. And Burke thought that the character of William Bell that we'd been building up on Fringe should be Nimoy. We already asked him for so much, and J.J. emailed him and he was interested. There's a certain logic to it. Bell is supposed to be one of the smartest men in the world; like Bill Gates meets Howard Hughes. So Nimoy's credentials as one of the smartest characters in the history of the world is already established through Star Trek. It's interesting to see him as a potential ambiguous, evil figure.

Is Leonard Nimoy the new Slusho?

The next time we see him on screen we should have him drinking a Slusho. Maybe we'll make Slusho a subsidiary of Massive Dynamics. [laughs]

Since you and Kurtzman are both producers, as well as writers, for Star Trek and Fringe, does that mean the writers essentially get to call the shots on the set? How much more control do you get over a production since you serve in both roles?

Alex and I come from TV were the writers are often the producers, so when we made the transition to movies, it became very apparent to our collaborators that it would be very stupid not to use our e xp ertise in production. We talked and acted like producers, so we became producers. [laughs] It's great because we get to protect our work, we get to go to marketing meetings and we give our notes on the toy line. On the other hand, we have to make sure that doesn't get in the way of the writing.

Is there any facet of filmmaking you haven't tried that you wish you could?

I wish I could compose music for the soundtrack. How much fun would that be to be John Williams for a day?

What has been the weirdest or geekiest you've gotten about the new Star Trek film from the hardcore fans?

No, because I'm a fan, so I can't say that.

I can give you one that I've heard online that made me wonder. Why are there no handrails on Niro's ship? Isn't that kind of dangerous during sudden stops?

[laughs] I would argue that there are invisible force field handrails.

Yeah, we use the Force as an excuse too. As a Star Wars fan, how would you reboot the Star Wars franchise?

I'd love to go back to the time in between the movies A New Hope through Return of the Jedi, and see other planets and the people who live on them, and how they see the war like we're following the war in Iraq. It would be interesting to see other people respond to finding out there's a base on Bespin.

Not sure where the R2-D2 easter egg is, but you could probably google it.

I think the base on Bespin simply refers to the fact that Vader and stormtroopers are secretly hiding out there awaiting our heroes.

[quote=""Olorin""]I think the base on Bespin simply refers to the fact that Vader and stormtroopers are secretly hiding out there awaiting our heroes.[/quote]

Mmmmm... oook..... but if they are there secretly (and I'd hardly call what they did there a 'base') how and why would people be reacting to it? Unless of course they mean the people on Cloud City, and the reaction we saw was quite plain: evacuate!

Sometimes I really think Orci and Kurtzman are smoking dubious, poor-quality substances. :huh:

I don't see the Emperor in the picture, but at least they made him look like Nimoy and not Quinto, which earns an A+ in my books. So long as the story is abour 'our' Spock, I might check it out. Any novels or comics relating to the new Trek I will most definitely be skipping.

So the double spread, midway down, with 2 people sitting on a bench on the left page, and a series of three frames on the right page, bottom frame, a hooded Spock and a fishlike alien....you don't think Spock looks reminiscent of Palpatine there?

Ah yes, missed that one. Thought you were talking about the pic of him on the title cover.

Yep, certainly looks like Spock is about to deliver some speech about giving in to your hatred and the firepower of fully armed and operational battle stations, or somesuch. :P

From the Digital Bits' Rumor Mill section:
[font=arial, helvetica, courier, *]So you want some details on the extras that will be included on Paramount's forthcoming Star Trek Blu-ray Disc? Okay... The Bits and TrekMovie have DEFINITELY got 'em for you this morning. You can safely assume that much of this material will appear on the deluxe DVD version as well (though it's likely there will be movie-only full frame and widescreen DVDs too). As was the case with the previous Star Trek BluRays, this comes to us initially from European sources, via a pair of fine German DVD/Blu-ray websites (Area DVD and Filme-BluRay - and thanks to reader Ulrich H. for the heads-up). Such information commonly leaks out of the studios' European divisions early, and we've been able to confirm the general accuracy of it with our own sources (give or take a few English featurette name changes and the like - these are translated from German, but we're told some are exact and most are close). So here's a tentative list of what you'll get on the Star Trek Blu-ray...

1080p video (2.35:1 aspect ratio), Dolby TrueHD 5.1 audio, audio commentary (with J.J. Abrams, Bryan Burke, Alex Kurtzman, Damon Lindelof and Roberto Orci), 6 behind-the-scenes featurettes (Casting, A New Vision: Savage Pressure, Equipment and Costumes, Sound, Music and Gene Roddenberry's Vision), 4 Where No Man Has Gone Before featurettes (including The Shatner Conundrum, The Red Shirt Guy, The Green Girl and Trekkie Alert!), 7 Starships featurettes (Warp E xp lained, Painting Work, Accelerated Bridge Construction, The Captain's Chair, Operating the Buttons, Shuttle Shuffle and Accelerated Narada Construction), 5 Aliens featurettes (The Alien Paradox, The Girl with the Big Eyes, Big Pro Quinto, Klingons and Drakoulias Anatomy 101), 2 Planets featurettes (Additional Business and Confidentiality), 9 deleted scenes (including Spock's Birth, Klingons Capture the Narada, Young Kirk, Johnny and Uncle Frank, Amanda and Sarek Argue After Spock's Fight, Interrogation and Escape from Prison, Sarek and Amanda, Bedroom and Kobayashi Maru: Original Version, Kirk Apologizes to Gaila and Sarek Sees Spock Prime), a gag reel, a BD-Java Starfleet Vessel Simulator, 4 trailers (Teaser, The Wait is Over, Prepare for the Beginning and Buckle Up), an Xbox 360 Star Trek: D.A.C. game trailer and BD-Live options (TBA)

Note that Amazon.de currently has the street date for Star Trek set at 10/5, so you would e xp ect the U.S. street date to be around the same time, although our sources suggest that the date could move into late October or even November, as Paramount juggles a busy new release slate for the 4th quarter (which - keep in mind - also includes Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Monsters vs. Aliens, Imagine That and G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, as well as a TON of big catalog titles). In any case, we'll certainly update you as soon as we have any additional information.

In the meantime, here's the cover art Amazon.de is currently using for the Blu-ray version, which appears to use elements from the U.K. theatrical one sheet. We caution you that this is likely temp artwork only and the final U.S. artwork will almost certainly be different...

[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, courier, *]
While we're talking Star Trek this morning , we also have word that CBS has tentatively set Star Trek: Original Series - Season Two for Blu-ray release on 9/22 (Season Three is due to follow either at the very end of the year, or early in 2010). Also coming to both DVD and Blu-ray is the the 4-film Star Trek: The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection, as well as re-issue individual editions of the films Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home, The Undiscovered Country and First Contact on both DVD and Blu-ray. The street date for those is still TBD, but will almost certainly be closely tied to the release of the Abrams film on disc.

As always, please keep in mind that all of the information above should be considered unofficial and subject to change until the studios in question make their official announcements. Stay tuned...
[/font]
I had to delete the cover art for the TOS Seasons 2 and 3 BD sets. Our esteemed software was counting the total of 3 images in this post and saying there were 5, which was one too many. I could not find any other codes that it might have been counting.

Anyway, I'm still e xp ecting that there will be a gift set with some sort of neat toy or whatever, given the success and hype of this movie. On the other hand, Paramount has always treated Star Trek like a red-headed stepchild, so it might not come with any extra goodies.
Last edited by Olorin on Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This is interesting:

http://trekmovie.com/2009/06/24/academy ... star-trek/

Short version. There will now be 10 nominees for Best Picture, not 5. That will probably make room for popular movies (and not just typical academy-fave character dramas) to be nominated. Various people are speculating that Star Trek will be nominated since it was so well reviewed.

I could be wrong, but I think it will be a cold day in Hell when the Academy nominates a Star Trek movie for Best Picture.

You know, just reading over the titles of some of those deleted scenes is really irking me. No one here is a stranger to the fact I am not a fan of this movie at all, and it just makes it even worse for me to see that (if the titles are any indication) most of what was cut was some very much needed character development and moments.

Two big scenes featuring Nero? Heck, Eric Bana is the Christopher Lee of this movie in Return of the King. He got butchered by the editor's knife.

Lots of stuff with Kirk and Spock and their early life. While I guess most will argue this would be a waste and just want to get to the juicy bits (read: e xp losions,) I argue that these are important in letting us see what makes these two men grow up to be who they are, even if it is in an alternate reality.

Sarek meeting Spock Prime?!?!? Are you kidding me? Given that our Spock was denied the opportunity of saying goodbye to his father all those years ago and the hurtful circumstances under which they had previously parted, this scene would have been a poignant yet triumphant moment for us old fans, to see the emotion on old Spock's face in seeing his father once again, and knowing all the while what will happen (assuming Sarek will contract the same degenerative disease in this reality.)

No... instead we get Kirk making out with a green girl and putting the moves on Uhura, some pointless bar fight, and Scotty getting flushed around some water pipes. At least we will get to see these scenes now. Oh, and just wait for the double-dip director's cut, because this is Paramount, and you know it's coming.

Yay! :angry:

Well, what annoys me is that they're not offering them reinstated via seamless branching, where you could choose to watch the theatrical OR the longer cut. But as I've said, Paramount has always treated Star Trek like a red-headed stepchild, so it's no surprise that it's not super-duper right out of the gate.

[quote=""Olorin""]So I want to ask Valkrist, are you even going to buy the new movie, considering your antipathy toward it?[/quote]

Yeah, I'll buy it because I'm a completist and it bears the Star Trek name, albeit the fact that I consider it a loose association at best. I'm definitely interested in the deleted scenes and some of the special features have intriguing titles. I hope the DVD version includes most, if not all of those, because I'm not sure if it's worth paying the extra premium for BluRay, which I don't even have yet.

The movie left me rather cold emotionally (though like you, I'm a completist so I'll get it) and it will be interesting to see if the extra scenes correct that. Unfortunately, without being actually reinstated, their impact will be limited.

Here's an eye-rolling little morsel from TrekMovie:
William Shatner E xp lains Why He Has Not Seen The New Star Trek Movie

For over two years while the Star Trek movie was in development and production, much of the debate, news and gossip about the film was about whether or not William Shatner would be in it, something he contended would benefit the film. So it is a bit surprising that two months after its release, Bill has yet to see it. While co-hosting Live with Regis and Kelly last Friday he e xp lains why, details below.

Shatner concerned over ‘ridicule’
On the show during the ‘host chat’, Regis asked Bill if he had seen the new Star Trek movie, and Bill said he had not. Regis then asked him if he ‘cared’, to which Bill replied:I do care, but here is the problem. If I go to the theater, it’s like, ‘there is the guy who thinks he is captain Kirk’ or something like that. Some ridicule is going to happen. So I have sort of avoided that. I don’t want to wear a hat and glasses and and a cane and a beard…just to see a movie. That is a lot of effort, I could stay at home to watch a movie.
CLICK TO SEE SHATNER ON REGIS & KELLY
(Select third video down w/ Shatner – Star Trek discussion around 7:00 mark)
Later in the show (video not available online), Ray Romano came on to promote Ice Age 3, but also talked about the Star Trek movie, saying he loved it, and also was surprised that Bill had not seen it.
Other Trek celebs have talked about seeing the film, including Nichelle Nichols who says she has seen it multiple times. Star Trek’s other movie captain, Patrick Stewart, also recently talked about going to see the film (with the general public). Mr. Shatner was invited to the Hollywood premiere of the film, but apparently he had a conflict and he sold his unused tickets on Ebay (for charity) after the event. There were also multiple showings of the Star Trek film on the Paramount lot, including the week when JJ Abrams and many of the cast and crew took time time out from their publicity tour to attend Shatner’s charity horse show in late April. Bill has recently said he would like to be in the sequel, so hopefully he catches the movie sometime soon to find out what it is all about. If Bill can’t arrange a screening on the lot, here is a list of theaters still showing the movie in the LA area.
IMHO, he just doesn't want to see it. Abrams should just send him a copy of it in some format so he would no longer have even the foregoing flimsy excuses.

I'd have a lot more respect for him if he'd just say he didn't want to see it for whatever reason. Yet he claims he wants to be in the next one.

Sounds to me like he wants to have his cake and eat it too.

This is beyond wild. From TrekMovie:
Star Trek Movie Coming To DVD/Blu-ray In November w/ High-tech Features

Today more details emerged about the upcoming Blu-ray and DVD release for JJ Abrams Star Trek movie. Confirming our earlier reports, Paramount has announced there will be three home video sets for Star Trek (2 DVD sets & 1 Blu-ray). All three will be released on November 17th. These releases will include some interesting high-tech features — details below.

Star Trek’s High-Tech Home Video Release
On November 17th, 2009 JJ Abrams Star Trek movie comes home. There will be three different home video releases:
  • 1-disk DVD
  • 2-disk DVD
  • 3-disk Blu-ray
The 2-disk DVD and Blu-ray sets will feature a home video first with "augmented reality" packaging. Using a webcam, you can hold your packaging up to your computer and reveal a 3-D holographic tour of the new USS Enterprise. In May, an early version of this was used to promote the theatrical release of the film by Paramount International (at [url=http://www.e%20xp%20erience-the-enterprise.com/ww/]e xp erience-the-enterprise.com[/url] – see video at http://trekmovie.com/2009/07/16/star-tr ... -features/).

Another high tech feature for the 2-disk DVD set and the Blu-ray set is providing a digital copy of the film, which you can load onto a computer or mobile device. So far Paramount has only done this for one other film (Love Guru). You can visit paramountdigitalcopy.com to learn more about how this feature works.

More details coming soon
Paramount Home Video will soon be announcing more details on the Star Trek DVD and Blu-ray sets, so look for an update from TrekMovie.com when that becomes available. You can see ourprevious story for early details on the Blu-ray special features, which TrekMovie has confirmed is very close to the final version. Paramount is also e xp ected to announce details on the TNG movie Blu-ray set and the TOS Season Two Blu-ray sets at (or before) Comic-Con next weekend.

From TrekMovie:
First Look At QMx Star Trek 2009 USS Enterprise Studio-scale Replica

Back in May we reported that Quantum Mechanix had picked up the license to make replicas from JJ Abrams Star Trek movie. Today QMx revealed their first replica, a limited-edition studio-scale detailed replica of the new USS Enterprise. QMx will begin taking orders on this replica in September, with the first models (of a total of 500) shipping to customers in October. See below for more details, including how you can customize your Enterprise.

Your very own Enterprise Replica
Probably one of the most talked about elements of JJ Abrams Star Trek movie was the new USS Enterprise, designed by Ryan Church and brought to the screen by the digital artists at Industrial Light and Magic. Combining both classic elements along with new design cues, the new Enterprise personifies the movie itself.
QMx promises that their U.S.S. Enterprise Artisan Replica is "screen-accurate in every respect" and built to "studio-scale" (which is: 34” long x 15.75” wide x 7.5” high, with a stand that adds 5.25” to the overall height). The replica is based on the ILM digital master files used to create the visual effects in the movie. No detail was spared, from the hand-painted graphics to the tiny shuttlecraft docked in the shuttle bay, as well as many features which could only be barely glimpsed on screen.

QMx Studio Scale USS Enterprise (click to enlarge)
Each Artisan Enterprise is entirely airbrushed by hand with 24 colors of metallic and flat paint, creating the ‘aztecing’ pattern. Like real filming miniatures, there is an automotive base lacquer underneath which primes and protects the replica. In addition, each replica features around 200 lighting effects, both interior and exterior. These include animated effects for the warp and impulse engines, and even details inside the shuttle bay. QMx promises their Star Trek movie USS Enterprise is "the most detailed and accurate replica of a Star Trek starship that’s ever been offered for retail purchase."

QMx Studio Scale USS Enterprise (click to enlarge)
The QMx Artisan Enterprise will come in two editions: standard and SFX. The standard edition is built exactly the same as the SFX edition, but excludes the lighting system (with a cost savings). You can also request additional customization of your replica, including battle damage and a custom engraving for the base (at additional costs). QMx will begin taking orders September 30, 2009. The pricing has not yet set, but will be revealed by August. Each replica is made-to-order by hand, and will take 30-60 days for delivery.

QMx Studio Scale USS Enterprise impulse engine and shuttle bay detail
(click to enlarge)
More details and pictures of the QMx Artisan USS Enterprise at quantummechanix.com.
See it at Comic Con
Quantum Mechanix will be showing off the first of their new USS Enterprise replicas at San Diego Comic Con later this week. You can see it at the Sideshow Collectibles Booth (#1929).

QMx Studio Scale USS Enterprise base (click to enlarge)
What’s next for QMx - 15" Enterprise & Kelvin
While the studio-scale Enterprise is the ultimate item for fans of the new movie, it is going to be pricey. As noted in our last article, QMx is also working on a smaller (and much more affordable) "Collector’s Scale" version of the USS Enterprise. QMx’s CEO Andy Gore tells TrekMovie they have decided to make the smaller Enterprise 15" long, instead of 10" like their other mid-sized replicas. Gore e xp lains by saying "the Enterprise demanded it." The plan is to have the Collector’s Scale Enterprise available by the holiday season of 2009.
Gore also confirmed that QMx is in early development for both a Studio-scale and a Collector’s scale version of the USS Kelvin, to be released in 2010. They are also looking at other possible replicas from the new Star Trek movie. TrekMovie will provide updates as they become available.
I'd e xp ect one of these babies to set you back about half a year's salary, LOL.

I was just thinking of always wanting an Enterprise E model that intricate. I kinda like the look of this new ship in many ways but its attachment to an inferior Trek portrayal kinda ruins it for me. But it's still better, aesthetically, than the D.
-_-

[quote=""Sedhal""]I was just thinking of always wanting an Enterprise E model that intricate. I kinda like the look of this new ship in many ways but its attachment to an inferior Trek portrayal kinda ruins it for me. But it's still better, aesthetically, than the D.[/quote]

In complete agreement.

The E would be very sweet also, and while I like all Federation ships in general, this one irks me to no end precisely for the reasons you mentioned. I call it the Enterprise-U, U for Usurper. That, and the fact that because JJ just felt he had to do everything bigger and badder than everyone else before, actually claimed this ship is (apparently) over twice to three times the size of previous Enterprises, which is simply ludicrous, illogical, and downright stupid.

I would love to have a model like that of the original Ent, the A, the D, especially the E, and even the B and C. But even if I felt incline to make such a splurge in these uncertain recessionary times, I wouldn't have any place to put the thing. Someday (after I win the lottery), I'd like to have my basement finished and put a dedicated home theater in. It would also have an adjoining room to serve as a "lobby," and I would put my collectibles in that room.

I've got the plan, now I only need the money, LOL.

From TrekMovie:
Star Trek Movie Blu-ray & DVD Packaging + Best Buy Gift Set Announced
Paramount Home Video have yet to send out their regular high-res images of packaging for JJ Abrams Star Trek movie DVD and Blu-ray sets, but packaging imagery has shown up at Amazon. Plus Best Buy has announced a special gift set version of the Blu-ray that comes with badge pins. Details below.

Packaging & Pre-orders

The images below are taken from Amazon.com. They may not be the final packaging, but are probably close to the final design. Amazon also now has pre-orders available for the single disk DVD set. You can pre-order by clicking on the images below.

Best Buy Gift Set

In addition to the above sets, there will be a special ‘gift’ edition of the Blu-ray set available at Best Buy stores. These will be the same as the regular Blu-ray set, but will include four metal Star Trek badge pins (being made by QMx, the company making the Artisan Enterprise Replica). According to QMx, the badges are “exact screen-accurate, cast in solid metal and have two tie-tack pins.” The gift set is available exclusively for pre-order from Best Buy.

More Star Trek 2009 DVD news to come

Check back for another update soon as there is more info on the Star Trek movie set coming out of Comic Con later.
I was hoping for a cooler gift set than just the pins. However, it is apparently what will be available, so I suppose it is what I will get.

Return to “Star Trek & Star Wars”