Re: Star Trek 12

My dislike for the new Trek movie and my pessimism for the sequel is not news, but I must admit I find some of the concept behind this news article somewhat intriguing, namely being curious about how they will adapt the original episodes to fit this new Trek universe. Might be worth picking these up for that alone?

"Star Trek" Comics Are Sequel's Prequel"

By Garth Franklin Monday October 3rd 2011 12:43PM
With the sequel to J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek" reboot getting ready for a shoot early next year, one of the film's co-writers Roberto Orci recently confirmed they're currently scouting locations in preparation. Orci and Mike Johnson are also serving as creative directors on a new set of IDW comic books about the new Enterprise crew.
So what? Well there's been talk that this sequel will jump ahead a few years in time, so the crew will have been serving together for a while. Orci's been giving notes to the comic writers with a few details about the upcoming sequel, meaning the issues themselves will be used to lay some of the ground work for the film.
"It’s fantastic to have Bob’s input, because he can steer us clear of story elements that might conflict with what’s coming up in the next movie, and we can lay in subtle clues to what’s coming up so that once you see the new movie you can go back and see how it evolved in the comics….Bob and I have discussed the major beats of the next movie, which is a great help in laying clues in the comic. We have very few secrets, that I know of anyway" said Johnson in an interview with Star Trek.com.
The first few issues will be adaptations of episodes from the original 60's TV series with the crew encountering some of the same threats, but with differences reflecting the alternate timeline established in the first movie. The first issue will deal with the original pilot "Where No Man Has Gone Before", while "The Galileo Seven" will also be adapted later on.
Then, "as we get closer to the next movie, the stories will begin to foreshadow the events of the movie, such as possibly introducing new characters we will see onscreen." The result will be something akin to the 'Star Trek: Countdown' comic book series which bridged the events between 2002's "Star Trek: Nemesis" and the 2009 reboot.
This Space for Rent

I am very pessimistic about this movie as well. I am still bitter that they did not continue to move forward in now what has to be known as the "prime universe" and decided to make their own timeline so they could screw with 2 timelines (remember they went and blew up Romulus Prime in the prime universe, and that would make a heckuva story for a movie or TV series, with the fallout and repurcussions of that).

Not to mention they just wanted to take the Star Trek name and characters and make them flashy.

[quote=""Valkrist""]My dislike for the new Trek movie and my pessimism for the sequel is not news, but I must admit I find some of the concept behind this news article somewhat intriguing, namely being curious about how they will adapt the original episodes to fit this new Trek universe. Might be worth picking these up for that alone?[/quote]

I saw that somewhere the other day and thought about posting it just to get a rise out of you. Then I thought, nah, that's too much like shooting fish in a barrel. So imagine my surprise when you're somewhat intrigued by it, instead of in a frothy-mouthed rage! ;)
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

lol... good call. :D

I find the concept of comic books set in this alternate universe far less offensive than full-feature movies. I'm always intrigued by 'what-if' scenarios, and comic books are a perfect way to e xp lore these scenarios without resorting to irrevocably changing the main Trek continuity in movies. Unfortunately, that ship has sailed. :(
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]I find the concept of comic books set in this alternate universe far less offensive than full-feature movies. I'm always intrigued by 'what-if' scenarios, and comic books are a perfect way to e xp lore these scenarios without resorting to irrevocably changing the main Trek continuity in movies. Unfortunately, that ship has sailed. :( [/quote]

That's so funny. I understand the attraction of an alternate view of things...there's a whole branch of sci fi devoted to it. But tampering with established ST stories I would find to be borderline blasphemous...or at least I thought you would consider them that way. Now, if the movies were to redo Khan, as has been so frequently conjectured (why o why do people seem to want that???), that would be completely Trek-blasphemous.

[quote=""BladeCollector""]Not to mention they just wanted to take the Star Trek name and characters and make them flashy.[/quote]

I didn't mind that they flashed it up a bit in that they made the movie look and feel big. Oftentimes, previous Treks seemed more suited to the small screen: Insurrection, anyone? I just didn't think it was necessary to alter the timeline and dumb down the franchise to make things more epic. This evening I was thinking of how much more epic First Contact would have been if Paramount had given them $150M to make it with. But in the old way of doing things, even the Borg didn't rate a huge budget.

I guess flashy was a wrong word choice... but the timeline, the size of the enterprise, Kirk getting the commission of the enterprise upon graduation... things like that really annoyed me.

As far as First Contact, it should (in my opinion) should have been up there with best picture of the year and Patrick Stewart should have had a best actor nomination!

So the big news going around is that Benicio del Toro is awaiting the call to play the main villain in the new movie, and that the part is so secretive that even he hasn't been told what it is. :rolleye:

Hmmm... hispanic actor being given a villainous part in a Star Trek reboot movie? Could this be the world's worst kept secret? JJ, you really must think the real Trek fans are that stupid if you think we can't smell Khan coming from a mile away. Could be too early to say, but you can kiss any hopes for originality goodbye with these people at the helm. :angry:
This Space for Rent

Yep, and all the while it happens, JJ and crew will be hailed as the saviours of all things Trek for their incredible vision and brilliant innovation. :rolleye:

It reminds of when I hear young kids these days gushing over a song and then giving me incredulous looks of disdain or outright disbelief when I point out that what they're hearing is not original but a cover of something much older, and 99% of the time, much better.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Judging by 90% of the comments posted after that article, I'm not alone.[/quote]
I think it was more like 99%.
One was exactly what I thought.
Why re-boot to make all the movies over again?
Hey I've got a brilliant idea, lets re-release the last movie we made and just tell everyone it's a new one :crazy:
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

As much as I love the idea that Star Trek is back on the big screen, I am beginning to believe that JJ Abrams is becoming the new George Lucas of Star Trek!

To play Devils Advocate, I guess, one could say "rebooting" doesn't necessarily do everything completely different with new characters.. as much as I don't want Khan in this movie, but one could argue, you couldn't reboot Batman and not have the Joker.

The problem with the current Star Trek movies, they arent a real "reboot", they are in an alternate/parallel and have even made an impact on the "prime" universe. JJ Abrams COULD have made a reboot or relaunch or whatever "re" you want to call it, but he decided to tie it into the prime universe at the beginning and blow up Romulus Prime and bring in prime Spock.

Why don't you take advantage of the fact that you didn't respect the continuity enough to follow it and make YOUR OWN movies instead of remaking the TOS movies with younger Abercrombie model looking actors

I truly hope they leave Khan out of it and alone. If they do not, it's a tacit admission that they are utterly incapable of originality. As BC said, if you're going to do an alternate timeline, do something completely different!

I think I'll wait until this one hits cable. I'm done lining the pockets of these unimaginative morons with my hard-earned money. :angry:

Who knew that all that it takes to be a successful writer in Hollywood is to have the intellectual capacity of a half-witted chimp? :rolleye:
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Who knew that all that it takes to be a successful writer in Hollywood is to have the intellectual capacity of a half-witted chimp? :rolleye: [/quote]

Anyone who's observed Hollywood's output for the last five years! ;)

Meh... big whatever.

Just a case of JJ trying to throw off the scent for the hounds and divert some of the negative reaction to this obvious rehash. We'll get Khan no matter what, he's not going to be changing villains this late in the game.
This Space for Rent

Is there any certainty to this being a Khan rehash? (Other than the lack of original thinking in Hollywood).

Cumberbatch makes for a really vicious bad guy, but only if he's a whole new bad guy, in a whole new story, in the whole new alternate universe :coolsmile
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Multiple villains in movies is nothing new. The last Spider Man movie had no less than three.

Mark my words, this poor excuse for a movie will have Khan and unoriginality written all over it before you can say "Scotty, get us out of here!" :P
This Space for Rent

I am still hoping that it will not feature Khan. If it does, that will be proof positive that the new team is creatively bankrupt. However, it will make scads of money, and their lock on the franchise will be secure.

The Digital Bits had this to say:
[font=arial, helvetica, courier, *]By the way, for you Star Trek fans... a quick word of warning. There are now MAJOR and CONFIRMED spoilers floating around the Net for next year's J.J. Abrams big screen sequel to Paramount's successful the 2009 reboot. I mean MAJOR spoilers. I'm sure as hell not going to ruin them here, but I just wanted to warn all those of you who are hoping to go into the film unspoiled. You MAY want to stop reading the Internet for the next year of so. Yeah, good luck with that. Curse you, Internet! ;) [/font]
Last edited by Olorin on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Speaking of spoilers, I looked in on that function that you requested for spoiler tags to be used when posting and cannot find them.

I've looked up instructions for it on vbulletin software, but the area to set it up (as shown in the examples I saw) seems to be missing. I'm guessing our version of the software does not have that or it is hidden somewhere I cannot find.

Sorry. :(
This Space for Rent

Because my e xp ectactions for this movie are already about as low as they can get, I could care less about the spoilers so I read them as well.

I won't comment either because I know that less than three or four words into e xp ressing my feelings about what I read will give everything away.
This Space for Rent

Well, thank you both for your discretion, and thank you Val for looking for the spoiler function.

I don't doubt I'll hear the spoilers one way or another before the movie comes out...a year is an impossibly long time to try to avoid something like that. But in the mean time, I'll try.

SPOILER AHEAD?

Highlight to read:

Did Karl Urban just spoil one of J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek" sequel secrets?
There's been confusion for some time now as to which villain from Trek-lore will "Sherlock" star Benedict Cumberbatch be playing.
Urban, out doing promotion for the "Dredd" reboot, appears to have let slip that secret in an interview with SFX, saying of Cumberbatch "He's awesome, he's a great addition, and I think his Gary Mitchell is going to be exemplary."
Mitchell appeared in only one episode of the original "Star Trek" series - the second to be produced but first to be broadcast pilot "Where No Man Has Gone Before".
In that episode Mitchell was Kirk's good friend and classmate from Starfleet Academy, the pair serving together and saving each other's lives in events before the series began.
In the episode their e xp osure to the energy barrier that surrounds the galaxy causes Mitchell to suddenly develop increasingly powerful telepathic and telekinetic abilities, along with delusions of God-hood. Kirk is forced to abandon and then ultimately kill Mitchell.
Urban however could well be lying, the production crew on the film is already famous for spreading misinformation - this could be the case here.
Indeed not only has the Gary Mitchell character has already been dealt with (and killed) in the official tie-in comics bridging the two films, but Roberto Orci a few weeks ago said Mitchell is NOT one of the characters in the film.
This Space for Rent

I saw that and didn't bother to post it. The rumor mill keeps churning and you never know what to believe. This could easily be misdirection on Urban's part...as could, I suppose, Pegg's earlier statement that it definitely wasn't Khan.

Plus, there's so much antipathy toward this flick around these parts that I figured any posts would be greeted with hoots of derision. And, in all honesty, my own anticipation for this movie is really quite low.

lol... am I starting to have an effect on you? ;)

I doubt it, but good to know I'm not the only one who really can't get excited about any of this JJ crap.

As for the so-called spoiler above, yeah... I didn't really bat an eyelash either, and I'm still fully e xp ecting Khan to show up. Why? Because either Orci or Kurtzman will come out after and respond: "Because we can."

Lame.
This Space for Rent

TrekMovie plays Q&A w/Roberto Orci, specifically, they name a guest star and Orci states whether it's a new character, or a character from Star Trek's established canon. Alice Eve and Benedict Cumberbatch are both playing characters from the canon, so...Carol Marcus and Khan?

http://trekmovie.com/2012/07/14/exclusi ... roduction/

I really hope Khan is not in this movie. Maybe Cumberbatch will be Kirk's old nemesis Finnegan from the Academy....

So, instead of Star Trek: Into Darkness, they decide to forego punctuation altogether? :huh:

I guess the title is appropriate given the direction this franchise is heading in. Stay tuned for the next outing, Star Trek Into The Toilet.

By the way, I wonder if they realize that space is pretty dark already... :rolleye:
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Clever way to display the Starfleet delta on the movie poster, I'll give them that.[/quote]

You must be losing your edge in your state of newly married bliss. :crazy: I can't believe you didn't take them to task for ripping off the Dark Knight Rises poster, esp. when it is mentioned in the linked article.

Where is the real Valkrist, and what have you done with him? ;)

[quote=""Olorin""]Where is the real Valkrist, and what have you done with him? ;) [/quote]

He's tired of giving a crap about crap that he can't change.

Seriously though, I didn't even make the connection, mainly because I didn't pay much attention to the Dark Knight hoopla when it was around. In fact, if ol' Sed was still around, he'd crucify me for not even having watched that movie yet. I will be picking up the 3-movie Batman set that comes out tomorrow, and that will be my first time seeing it. :P

P.S. - Big shocker that the vaunted Star Trek creative team can't come up with a poster concept of their own. Hacks... all of them.
This Space for Rent

Return to “Star Trek & Star Wars”