Revan: The Old Republic

So, while I'm sure I've brought this up before because it's really the only thing that makes me a legitimate Star Wars fan, but is anyone here a fan of The Old Republic?

I'm not necessarily referring to the new MMORPG that's finally making an appearance in December, I think. But all the way back to Knights of the Old Republic and the associated games, novels, comics, etc?

In any case, I bring this up because next month the third book in the book series promoting the MMORPG centers exclusively around Revan and his story. I haven't looked -too- much into the plot because I don't want to even be spoiled about the time frame it covers. I kind of want to crack open the book without any disappointments. Ideally, the book would cover from Revan's birth to his death, but being that it's only 300+ pages, I'm doubting that.

Anyone else excited about this novel?! :P

Re: Revan: The Old Republic

I havent read the books... but I am a HUGE fan of the 2 KOTOR games and was VERY disappointed that the series moved to MMORPG instead of KOTOR 3.

I think I like the Old Republic era more than what we see in the Star Wars movies.

Revan is probably my favorite character in the entire Star Wars Universe and in the first game when you get to the revelation of who Revan really is, was for me, a truly jaw dropping moment.

Well, thank you for letting me know about this new book, I was unaware of its release. If anyone couldn't tell, Revan is one if not my favorite SW character. I find his redemption story much more fulfilling and exciting than Anakin's. I have always wanted KOTOR 3 and I am mad that it is going mmo too.

[quote=""RevAnakin""]Well, thank you for letting me know about this new book, I was unaware of its release. If anyone couldn't tell, Revan is one if not my favorite SW character. I find his redemption story much more fulfilling and exciting than Anakin's. I have always wanted KOTOR 3 and I am mad that it is going mmo too.[/quote]

I agree completely with you there Rev. Revan's character was so more complex and had a depth that I feel was missing from the characters in the movies.

I also like the character of Kreia.

I am going to be buying this book. I have no interest in the MMO, was really looking forward to a KOTOR 3 :|
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

I am hoping that the makers of KOTOR will eventually make another console game because I hear a lot of people are upset over no KOTOR. Plus they already had Star Wars Galaxies.

A. I don't have the time to get involved with an MMO
B. I dont have the money to pay a monthly fee for and MMO, I tried for Star Trek (for a month)
C. I dont have a computer that is fit for online gaming, my desktop is 5-6 years old and is used for typing research papers, if that. It is mainly there because I feel that I still NEED to have a desktop and my laptop is a convertible notebook, so its processor/graphics card aren't equipped for online gaming.

For me, Revan is a phenomenal character. His only rival is Darth Bane. If you ever get the chance, pick up the Darth Bane novels. They're written by the lead writer of KOTOR and TOR as well as the new Revan book.

I wouldn't really bother with the other two books coming out before Revan. They're all right, but not mind blowing.

For me, the films are the absolute worst portion of the Star Wars franchise. I'm a fan -despite- them, not because of them. I only enjoyed them before as a movie fan. It wasn't until someone bent my arm to get me to play KOTOR that I became a legitimate Star Wars fan.

I thought Darth Nihlus had a cool look, and concept, but there were some flaws, such as the lack of comprehensible speech. There were a lot of good characters in those games, even the Exile was a cool character during the games.

All the background of the Sith and characters and everything, I think the Old Republic is a whole lot better than the movies (said it before and I said it again).

The Old Republic I think would make an awesome movie and/or series of some sort (unless Lucas ruins it, he's just have to keep his hands off and let the people that did KOTOR handle it)

Man, I can't remember the last time I read a SW novel. I used to be really into those, but moreso the storyline that was begun after the events of ROTJ than the Old Republic stuff.

My OR stuff is mostly confined to the KOTOR games, which I loved, and some of the comics, which centered around Cay and Ulic Qel-Droma, Nomi Sunrider, Freedon Nadd, and Exar Kun. I also loved how the final fate of Exar Kun was tied in with Luke Skywalker and the Jedi Academy on Yavin IV. The Revan storyline sounds interesting but I never e xp lored it beyond the games. A buddy of mine gave me his copy of the first Darth Bane novel but he said he found it really boring. I haven't read it yet.
This Space for Rent

Darth Bane is a very...philosophical book. It's a tough read because you find yourself cheering for quite possibly the greatest villain in the SW Universe. The entire trilogy is difficult to read because of that. If you've ever had any questions about the Sith mindset, though, they're the perfect books to read.

Return to “Star Trek & Star Wars”