Re: Pure Star Trek Discussion

Oh no... this is crushing news. :'(

Somehow you always feel like there are constants in the universe, and having men like Nimoy and Shatner around are part of that reality that can never be shaken in your mind.

Growing up with these men on the TV, it was difficult enough to accept when DeForest and Jimmy passed on, but things were still ok so long as Kirk and Spock were around.

Now Nimoy is gone, a star streaks across the night sky, and the universe feels like a less bright place.

:'( :'( :'(
This Space for Rent

This is indeed devastating. Finding it hard to concentrate on anything today. A massive blow to the world. But I keep telling myself that Mr. Nimoy, being the epitome of the Star Trek vision of inclusiveness and humanity and being an eternal supporter of his fellow humans, wouldn't want us to be so downtrodden at his loss. After all, of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most...human.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Idril""]Very sad today too. Spock was my first TV and sci-fi hero. Somehow, I thought he would outlive me.[/quote]

You and I both. It's tough coming to grips with your mortality when icons of your childhood begin to pass away, just when you thought they were basically immortal. I still suspect Shatner will outlive me. The guy is unstoppable.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""BladeCollector""]As unlikely that it would ever had happened anyway, it hit me that Nimoy and Shatner will never portray Kirk and Spock together ever again.[/quote]

I know. :'(

As unlikely as that already had been for years, so long as they both lived, there was always a chance. With Nimoy having been in JJ's last two movies and the rumours continuing to swirl that Shatner is possibly in the third movie, it's really upsetting to know that fans potentially missed the opportunity by one movie. :(
This Space for Rent

Re: RIP, Leonard Nimoy

I've been trying to sort out my thoughts about the passing of Leonard Nimoy. We all have our own special memories, things from the episodes or movies that stand out to us. Some of my favorite Spock moments are his face-off with the deranged Commodore Decker in "The Doomsday Machine," his many battles of wits with McCoy, and his many sardonic one-liners.

Also, Nimoy as Spock, along with the rest of the TOS cast but especially Kirk and McCoy, was one of my very first e xp eriences of coming to think of fictitious characters as friends, almost like they were real people. They become family and you miss them when they're gone. And in terms of role models, TOS had some good ones: Spock taught us to examine issues logically, McCoy taught us to have a heart, and Kirk taught us to take those often opposing poles into balance and act on them. These feelings and lessons are made accessible to us in no small part by the performance of the actor, and Nimoy and his costars truly inhabited their roles.

Most people will remember Nimoy for Star Trek (something I imagine he was comfortable with) but he had many achievements. He directed, of course, and also had a career in photography, was a producer and a narrator, and an inspiration to many people. Once long ago, he even sent a telegram to the president, opposing nuclear testing and saying children had a right to breathe clean air. This was not an e xp ression of Spock; the president he wrote to was Kennedy, so this was a few years prior to Star Trek. In 1963, Kennedy signed the Atmospheric Test Ban treaty; were the concerns of Nimoy (and others) a part of this?

So, I think the best way to memorialize Leonard is to cherish and be grateful for everything he did that has brought enjoyment, meaning, or other positive things to our lives. And many should take heart from his last lesson for us: quit smoking before it's too late. He died of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, attributed to his many years of smoking earlier in his life. Smoking is a horrible curse. If you smoke, quit; if you don't smoke, don't start.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

[quote=""Olorin""]And many should take heart from his last lesson for us: quit smoking before it's too late. He died of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, attributed to his many years of smoking earlier in his life. Smoking is a horrible curse. If you smoke, quit; if you don't smoke, don't start.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more! My mom died at the age of 60 from lung cancer, 8 years after quitting smoking after smoking since her teens!

Of course I immediately associate Nimoy to Spock, but he played a great role in Fringe as well.

Regarding the new Trek movies, did Nimoy NEED to be in the 2nd one, not really, but there is that nostalgia factor that it was nice to see him play Spock one more time, and knowing we will never see him as Spock again, with his iconic voice, his iconic delivery of lines, his iconic wisdom. Something that I can't really comprehend yet.

I was born in 1982, the time of Wrath of Khan, my parents were Trek fans, I grew up with Star Trek and Leonard Nimoy has been involved that entire time, with the TOS movies, his guest appearances on TNG and his appearances in the new Trek movies, it is really hard for me to come to terms that he won't be around in any movies anymore.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Very well said Olorin , and BC I can relate to you , my mom was 42 when she passed from cancer because of smoking , I was 17 . I am the only person in my family that never started smoking nor will I .
It was a very somber drive home from work the day Mr. Nimoy passed . There are certain people in this world that we admire for what they have accomplished in their lives and when we lose them , there is a small void that can't be filled . RIP Spock , and thank you Leonard Nimoy for the gifts you have given this world .

Mission Impossible.
How's that for taking you back.
I always admired that he never stopped working.
RIP
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Return to “Star Trek & Star Wars”