Star Trek Beyond

Latest rumor via TrekMovie:
While this isn’t 100% official, The Hollywood Reporter just broke a story that says two new writers will be joining Roberto Orci in writing the 3rd Star Trek movie script. Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof are out.

The new blood comes in the form of J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay. These relatively unknowns do have a relationship with Bad Robot. The pair were tapped to write the script adapting the graphic novel Boilerplate in 2011 (as yet unreleased) for Bad Robot.

That’s it though, there’s no other news on Trek 3 in the article, other than the common assumption that it’s supposed to be out in 2016 to coincide the 50th anniversary of the franchise.
Previous rumor is that Joe Cornish (Attack the Block) will direct.

I have to say that these rumors don't bode well, at least in my opinion. I have my share of misgivings about what JJ has done to Star Trek but his two productions came on like well-oiled machines. With Abrams presumably not directing due to his Star Wars commitment, we hear a rumor that a basically unheard of director best known for directing an acclaimed micro-budget picture is being considered, and Abrams has recently added his vote of confidence. I never saw Attack the Block, but it's hard to imagine Paramount giving the reins of a $150M movie to a director who has no e xp erience with that sort of thing. They should know what happens when you give someone with no e xp erience the reins...Nemesis, anyone?

And now it's rumored that writing will be done by what I'd charitably have to characterize as Bad Robot's second string, who are apparently best known for a movie that is either still on the shelf, or in development hell?
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Re: Star Trek Beyond

Just more of the same crap to make your eyes bleed and your brain cry.

Go poke around on the internet to see how Orci reacted to fan criticisms of Into Darkness. It should give you a good indication of how much these guys are about making movies we want to see versus indulging their own stupid ideas and lack of original thoughts.

Pass.
This Space for Rent

I'm sure it will be very much of a piece with the prior two movies, with the possible exception of fewer lens flares (which Star Wars will now inherit). It also remains to be seen if Orci has any directing skills. Love or loathe what JJ did with the franchise, it's hard to fault his direction (other than the lens flares). So, we'll see if Orci learned anything from JJ.

I just hope this new series of movies makes new fans go back and seek out the original movie series, TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise... 10 movies and 27 seasons of Star Trek.

You can have great tv and great movies without all the flashiness, but its not only Star Trek, it is a lot of movies going for flash over substance. Just because the icing on the cake is pretty and flashy doesnt mean the cake isn't stale and nasty :) Even JJ has shown that you don't need flashy, Fringe wasn't flashy.

I am sure I have mentioned this before, but did I enjoy the previous 2 movies, overall, sure... did I have my list of complaints, of course, do I have my reservations about this 3rd movie, you bet.

I guess I am not ready for Star Trek to die, so maybe I am hoping against all hope that these new movies revives interest in the Prime Universe (as I typed this, the intriguing yet scary thought of "Star Trek: Days of Future Past" popped into my head.)

I am still mad at JJ for blowing up Romulus prime in the Prime Universe and leaving that wonderful story of the inevitable war and political chaos for his reboot.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Ever the fount of, uh, optimism. ;) I imagine nothing short of Insurrection- or Nemesis-style box office bombing will vanquish Abrams and company.

I suspect what happened is that Paramount just was not willing to give the reins of a movie this e xp ensive to a newbie director. Edgar Wright is supposedly still on the short list of people who might get tapped. I don't even know who he is; I suppose I ought to look him up on IMDb.

Wright was rumored even before Orci was rumored. I've never seen any of his movies, and I don't know that Paramount would bet the farm on a director known for comedies, with no track record for a big sci fi movie. Then again, New Line bet the farm on an unknown New Zealand director with no track record for a big budget epic fantasy.

He doesn't carry enough clout as a proven blockbuster director, unfortunately, which is what I am sure Paramount will be looking for. Besides, the connection to the old Trek we know and love would be tenuous at best: a mere presence behind the cameras. The movie will still have nothing to do with the universe they left behind.
This Space for Rent

Beyond what Val said, in Paramount's eyes, Frakes probably has the stink of death all over him from his association with the last two TNG flix, which did very poorly at the box office. And he directed one of them.

[quote=""BladeCollector""]Oh I know there's less than a snowball's chance in you know where for this to happen, but I'd love it if it did. But I readily admit I love Frakes and Riker and always wished for a Captain Riker Titan series, so I am biased.[/quote]

Marina Sirtis and Frakes have been pushing for a "Rikers in Space" show for years. They have a couple of pretty funny interviews where they describe what it would be like, including having Frakes play the show off with the trombone every week. Sounds like they want more of a half hour comedy, but I think it's as good a place as any.

Have the show start off with the USS Titan responding to a call in the Neutral Zone and then dig into the fact that Romulan space is a mess after Romulus was destroyed. Boom. 7 years of e xp loring the Romulans, the only mystery left.

In my free time I actually write a series sort of based on that. The USS Ranger with Captain Bishop, tasked to patrol the Neutral Zone border, gets pulled into conflicts with would-be praetors and pirates. Sounds cheesy and fanfic-y, but I think it's actually pretty good.
#UC1264 Sting, #UC1300 Sting Scabbard, #UC1298 Hadhafang, #UC1372WGNB Fighting Knives of Legolas, UC1381LTNB Knives of Legolas Scabbards, #UC1371WGBN Knife of Strider, #UC-1370ABNB Herugrim

Cool stuff Finrod.

I've always thought Titan/Riker would be great after the destruction of Romulus. JJ started something that could be great, but its in the Prime universe, and we are watching the alternate timeline... ahhh?!?!

[quote=""Finrod Felagund""]Marina Sirtis and Frakes have been pushing for a "Rikers in Space" show for years. They have a couple of pretty funny interviews where they describe what it would be like, including having Frakes play the show off with the trombone every week. Sounds like they want more of a half hour comedy, but I think it's as good a place as any. [/quote]

Sonny and Cher in space?

Oh man, I've got a GGGRRRREEEAAATTT idea!

Let Frakes direct. At some point in the movie, we see Riker among the crew, wearing the alt-TOS uniform and acting in the role of the chef. At some point, dissolve to holodeck. The alternate universe has all been a Starfleet scenario examining how history might unfold differently in response to catastrophic events.

Whaddya think? :crazy2:

Well, here we go. I'm just going to drop this, stand back, and let Val pounce on it like the evil Queen's crazy dog things in "Willow"...and not blame him a bit for it.

http://trekmovie.com/2014/12/22/fast-an ... more-39793

In case anyone isn't picking up on my reason for disdain, note the rumor about "more like Guardians of the Galaxy." Seriously? Hasn't it gone far enough in that direction already?

:p uker: :p uker: :p uker:

There. Does that pretty much tell you how I feel about these news?

Actually, that is pretty much what Paramount is doing all over the name of Star Trek with this latest move. I would really describe it as another, even less savoury bodily function, but we don't have an emoticon for that.

Star Trek was in the toilet ever since all his reboot crap got laid at out doorstep; this is just the sound of finality that is heard when a toilet flushes.

There is one comment on that page that pretty much sums it for me:

1966-2005

RIP
This Space for Rent

I still have some hope for a TV series one of these years, I dont really know what's going on with CBS and Paramount, but one of these days hopefully CBS brings us the Trek us true fans know and love.

This guy makes decent Fast and Furious movies, but Fast and Furious isn't Star Trek. Star Trek wasn't about the big booms, it was about the people, the cultures, and the story

I believe that Star Trek will come back some day in a form more to our liking. We three are not the only people in the world who pine for the older, more meaningful style of Trek.

I heard, or dreamed I heard, that CBS might be willing to license Trek for a new TV series, but it's thought this would not happen before the Abrams era is over...for fear that people would be confused. Really? It's sad how the powers that be are so cluelessly out of touch not to realize that Trekkers are a very intelligent bunch in general.

What Star Trek really needs is someone who has proven capabilities, as shown by having produced some other successful show, to come in from outside and create a new TV edition of Star Trek. For example, as Ron Moore went from Star Trek to creating the greatly acclaimed (but as yet unwatched by me) reboot of Battlestar Galactica that ran a few years ago. Ideally this would be done for a cable channel or a streaming service where it would not be subject to the lunacy that dictates what succeeds or fails on a broadcast channel like CBS. True Trek needs time to establish itself and build its mythology (and its fanbase). It cannot be successful in a broadcast network environment where a show has to be a standout hit to avoid being canceled after the second episode.

Star Trek Beyond

By now you've probably seen the trailer if you're at all interested in this movie, or saw it as one of many trailers attached to Star Wars even if you weren't interested. Here it is none the less: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRVD32rnzOw

The trailer is certainly action, action, action, which is what everyone would expect from Justin Lin. However, as some posters have pointed out, and script coauthor Simon Pegg has essentially confirmed, if you're going to attach a trailer to Star Wars, you're going to want to pump it full of action. While based on my limited reading of user responses on Trek Movie, while many were dismayed by the trailer initially, most have found Pegg's expanded comments about what he tried to do in the story to be very heartening.

When I saw Star Wars last night and the Star Trek trailer started, one person shouted out "Oh no!" Remember, this of course is a Star Wars audience and IMHO Star Wars fans are much worse about imagining and perpetuating a war between the two franchises. However, by the time the trailer completed, most people who expressed some sentiment about it seemed to like it. But of course, one asshat had to call out "Star Wars is better!"

Olorin wrote:Go see it expecting nothing more than a light hearted romp and you should have fun.

The classic-type Saturday afternoon B-rated adventure "popcorn matinee"?

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Well you know, Arthur C Clarke said there were no new ideas left in sci fi, which often seems correct, so it's hard to say. There's always going to be a crew in peril plot, or the movie wouldn't have much drama. Tonally it felt like Insurrection. The swarm nature of the alien race was interesting; I don't know if ST has done something like that before. The design of the starbase was cool. There were quite a few callbacks to things we've seen in ST before but I view those as homages or Easter eggs rather than rip offs, though a couple of things copied from the two Abrams movies definitely felt copied.

So, would you watch it again? or buy it when it comes out on disc?
My ultimate assessment of a movie is indicated by my desire to see it again (or not).

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

BladeCollector wrote:haha, I have ST V on dvd as well! it wasn't THAT bad. Was not the best, but had a lot of good philosophical questions and some really good funny parts!
Thank you for being a fellow fan of the most maligned entry in the Star Trek movie series!

To expand a bit more on my answer to Deimos' question, now that I'm on a real keyboard, is that I will probably see the movie again, if someone else wants to go. I probably won't go alone for a second outing. But it would still be a day one blu-ray buy for me. Similarly, X Men Apocalypse didn't get a second trip to the theater from me, though I enjoyed it. I've gotten pretty selective about seeing movies more than once in the theater. There's just too many movies out there to see one a second time at the possible expense of missing out on a different one, unless I really really liked it. But I definitely get most movies on disc on day one, if I liked them at all. I sometimes hold off a while if 's being released by Disney, as their towering greed demands overpriced discs, but I get them eventually. I collect blurays and CDs like some people collect all the stuff we collect on our forum here.

And another factor, though this may sound a little sad.... These people, the crew of the Enterprise, are my friends. I've known them for 50 years. Sure, they don't look or sound like they did 50 years ago...but I don't either. But whenever they have a new adventure, I want that adventure in my collection, so I can relive it with them whenever I like.

I saw it yesterday and I really enjoyed it. A lot of good interactions between Spock/Kirk and Kirk/Bones and Bones/Spock... very reminiscent of the original cast. I agree with Olorin, there was some Insurrection feel to it and the starbase was pretty cool, kind of reminded me of the concept of the Halo rings in Halo, except it was just one halo, but if you've played Halo and go see the movie, you'll see what I am talking about.

The swarm nature of the new "alien" race was pretty cool and I am pretty sure we have not seen that before.

I do agree, it seems that the Enterprise is constantly getting tore up and blown up, etc, but in the realm of the overall story, its not like Kirk is crashing the ship everyday. I dont think this is a spoiler, but Kirk's captain's log basically, to me, indicated 3 years into the 5 year mission of pretty routine exploration, kind of getting "run of the mill" and boring.

I usually don't find myself to be a super emotional person when watching a movie, but there were a couple of times when there was a scene with Chekov that I found myself having a lump in my throat, knowing that such a great actor and such a young guy died so tragically.

I think I've made my peace with this series of movies and can enjoy them for what they are. For all the gripes I've had with the JJ-verse, at least he rebooted/relaunched the series without erasing our beloved prime timeline and tied the prime universe with the new universe. They aren't erasing Shatner and Nimoy's TV series and movies.

Urban nearly didn't return:

http://trekmovie.com/2016/08/01/karl-ur ... rned-down/

Justin Lin talks about cut scenes:

http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/31/justin- ... ek-beyond/

I can't see those being added to the BD, except maybe as supplements. Beyond slowing the pace, if it requires spending extra money to complete effects, it probably won't happen. Beyond took a big dive at the box office its second weekend.

Easter eggs:

http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/30/hidden- ... ek-beyond/

I am glad Urban did come back and after reading that article some of the best scenes in the movie are of him interacting with Kirk and Spock, which seems to be his main complaint, the lack of that interaction.

I am always curious about deleted scenes, but I thought the movie was pretty well fleshed out and had a pretty good run time, 25 minutes of additional scenes would have been pushing the movie to 2 hrs 15-20 minutes.

Return to “Star Trek & Star Wars”