Re: Axanar lives!

CBS/Paramount released fan film guidelines

http://www.startrek.com/fan-films

Axanar, does not fit those categories.

This was their statement

Dear Star Trek fans,

Star Trek fandom is like no other.

Your support, enthusiasm and passion are the reasons that Star Trek has flourished for five decades and will continue long into the future. You are the reason the original Star Trek series was rescued and renewed in 1968, and the reason it has endured as an iconic and multi-generational phenomenon that has spawned seven television series and 13 movies.

Throughout the years, many of you have expressed your love for the franchise through creative endeavors such as fan films. So today, we want to show our appreciation by bringing fan films back to their roots.

The heart of these fan films has always been about expressing one’s love and passion for Star Trek. They have been about fan creativity and sharing unique stories with other fans to show admiration for the TV shows and movies. These films are a labor of love for any fan with desire, imagination and a camera.

We want to support this innovation and encourage celebrations of this beloved cultural phenomenon. It is with this perspective in mind that we are introducing a set of guidelines at Star Trek Fan Films.

Thank you for your ongoing and steadfast enthusiasm and support, which ensure that Star Trek will continue to inspire generations to come.

CBS and Paramount Pictures
- See more at: http://www.startrek.com/article/star-tr ... NXZRo.dpuf
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Posting a bit more about this....

The guidelines are VERY restrictive. Essentially, they could have just said if your production is anything more than you and your buddies horsing around in your parents' basement and filming on your iPhone, forget about it.

I read a few of the user comments on TrekMovie's article about it. The consensus view seemed to be blaming Axanar's producer for bringing down the wrath of the suits on all fan products, as this will kill Star Trek Continues, Star Trek New Voyages, and any other substantial fan productions that were out there. I suppose there's at least a germ of truth to that.

I think Paramount/CBS could have been gracious and said these are the rules going forward, while anything currently in production is grandfathered. But of course, they didn't do that. Now Axanar's only chance is if it wins the lawsuit. And I find it very hard to imagine that a Southern California judge will rule against Paramount and CBS.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

I just found out Axanar Productions released three new trailers back in June, before Paramount/CBS released their doomsday machine of a set of fan production guidelines. So, these will be trailers for something we'll never see. I'm not even sure I want to see them, though admittedly I'll probably end up tracking them down and posting the links.

Re: Pure Star Trek Discussion

That's amazing. Unfortunately, although this sounds like a win, I don't know how much of a win for the fans it will be. The thing is only going to be able to be 30 minutes long, and it's going to have to be split into two parts at that. It's going to end up being not much more than the prelude to Axanar that they made to drum up interest in it to begin with.

There was a huge missed opportunity here. I don't know if he egos got in the way of it or what. But I think a much better outcome would've been for Paramount to embrace Axanar and make it into a fully budgeted official theatrical movie. Either that, or they could've made a season of the new Discovery show about it.

Return to “Star Trek & Star Wars”