Re: Shire Post Coins

My 2-day priority mail package from Shire Post finally arrived safely today... after a 10-day journey. Though the USPS deserves a thumbs down for really poor service, the coins were well worth the wait. They are fantastic and I'm truly looking forward to all of the other Middle Earth coins we'll be seeing from SP in the future!

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Got mine a couple of days ago also, black Brumby included, and they are indeed as awesome as expected. Tom sent an email out today saying that some coins were now up for sale on the Shire Post site. Most of them are just the coins that were part of the Kickstarter though. I think I might pick up the Tupence set and the Silver Daler, although the latter is $100. Ouch.
This Space for Rent

I hope SPM (Tom) eventually offers more of the individual LOTR and Hobbit coins, the same way he does for GoT, WoT , etc.
I'd like to pick a larger denomination of a Gondor coin and at least one of the Hollin Leaf coins.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

I think I did see that, but I( if I remember right) it was a bit spendy.
But thank you for thinking of me.
As you noted in one of your previous posts, with the new SP issue, prices of the more common coins from the original issues may start to come down a bit.
Supply and demand, juneau...

Some good news...(well, not so good news if one only collected original issue SP LOTR coins in order to sell them at a huge profit later :laugh: )

I contacted SP and asked if all the original issue coins will be reissued.
Answer (from Helen Maringer) : "[M]any of the coins... seen before will come back when the time is right.."

I also asked if one could order individual coins rather than a pre-dertermined set.
Her answer: "We will be focusing more on creating sets, but we can do specific orders for those who know just what they want. I'm not sure when those will be available since we are swamped at the moment, but we're working on it!"

TheWhiteHand wrote:There's a mithril Gondor coin for $499 on ebay right now.... Insane.....
It's sad to think that's the only reason why some people get these things. Considering these coins just arrived in people's hands, you can't even say they had it for a while and decided to sell it for personal reasons; it was clearly obtained with the sole intent of turning it around for a massive profit. As such, those of us like myself that are genuinely interested in owning something like this as part of their collections for a long time to come, are deprived of the opportunity by the sheer greed of others.
This Space for Rent

Here's to hoping no one buys it. This sort of thing is only worth what people are willing to pay for it.

Granted, there were people who put in over a grand for the Kickstarter, but $500 for a single coin? A coin that's only slightly different from others? That seems ridiculous.

Valkrist wrote:
TheWhiteHand wrote:There's a mithril Gondor coin for $499 on ebay right now.... Insane.....
It's sad to think that's the only reason why some people get these things. Considering these coins just arrived in people's hands, you can't even say they had it for a while and decided to sell it for personal reasons; it was clearly obtained with the sole intent of turning it around for a massive profit. As such, those of us like myself that are genuinely interested in owning something like this as part of their collections for a long time to come, are deprived of the opportunity by the sheer greed of others.
Could not agree more.
Makes me angry to be honest! :cursing_r
Instead of someone buying them to make a profit I would have preferred if a true collector who would actually appreciate them got it.

Shire Post BF offering: 25% off all coins.
Now is the time for the complete-ists to , well, complete their collections :rolleye:
(MY Visa card is forever grateful that I am not a complete-ist, which is not to say that that I haven't often wished I had the funds--and space-- to join that club. :'( )

Looks like the Raven Penny and Rivendell Golden Moon have an additional sale discount.

Sadly, nothing new for me to pick up. It seems Shire Post doesn't put out any new coins these days for LOTR unless it's another Kickstarter project. Having said that, and given they've already covered the major cultures in the books, they don't have anywhere new to go except to bring back older coins that have long been out of production. :huh:
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:30 am Looks like the Raven Penny and Rivendell Golden Moon have an additional sale discount.

Sadly, nothing new for me to pick up. It seems Shire Post doesn't put out any new coins these days for LOTR unless it's another Kickstarter project. Having said that, and given they've already covered the major cultures in the books, they don't have anywhere new to go except to bring back older coins that have long been out of production. :huh:
I wish they'd get creative with the Rohan line.
What do they have...just the brumby in a couple of different metals?

Valkrist wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:30 am Looks like the Raven Penny and Rivendell Golden Moon have an additional sale discount.

That's the boat I'm in...I'd love to pick up more Shire Post coins and would do so in a heartbeat, but I've already got all of the ones they've put out (at least that I can reasonably afford...). I do wonder if the sales of LOTR/Hobbit coins aren't enough to justify more than a Kickstarter campaign...I imagine GoT has a bit wider of an appeal, especially since they sell that line in Barnes and Noble.

Re: Your wishlist... and what's not on it.

Valkrist wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:27 pm As for the Shire Post Mint, while I'm always up for more coins, they seem to have covered all the major cultures' currencies so I don't see what's left to offer, but you never know. Maybe something from Mirkwood? Surely their trade with Lake-Town involved coins of some sort?
Shire Post Mint has a current Game of Thrones Kickstarter that ends in a few days. Based on some messages I exchanged with them recently, I believe they are planning another LOTR Kickstarter in the near future, so stay tuned.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Re: Your wishlist... and what's not on it.

Buckeye wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:18 pm
Valkrist wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:27 pm As for the Shire Post Mint, while I'm always up for more coins, they seem to have covered all the major cultures' currencies so I don't see what's left to offer, but you never know. Maybe something from Mirkwood? Surely their trade with Lake-Town involved coins of some sort?
Shire Post Mint has a current Game of Thrones Kickstarter that ends in a few days. Based on some messages I exchanged with them recently, I believe they are planning another LOTR Kickstarter in the near future, so stay tuned.
Nice! I know they probably make a lot more from GoT these days, but I feel like LOTR has more staying power for revenue.

I could see them doing more from cultures they've done already. Or perhaps different metal types of the existing coins. I'd be game for anything they come up with.

Moved the SPM posts to their old thread.

Good news about the possible new Kickstarter, but it makes me wonder if they are releasing brand new coins or simply bringing back older ones again, which has happened before. If so, it might be a good opportunity to pick up some hard to find ones, but generally it's coins most of us already have. Also, please... no more hobbit coins, there's too many of those already. xP
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:57 am Moved the SPM posts to their old thread.

Good news about the possible new Kickstarter, but it makes me wonder if they are releasing brand new coins or simply bringing back older ones again, which has happened before. If so, it might be a good opportunity to pick up some hard to find ones, but generally it's coins most of us already have. Also, please... no more hobbit coins, there's too many of those already. xP
Yeah, I love the Shire as much as the next short, furry guy, but I've had my fill. I'd rather see some more Rohan coins...maybe more Laketown/Erebor. I'm not sure what level of "authenticity" there is for coin denominations/styles but I'm game for whatever they come up with. I find the art on their LOTR coins to be phenomenal.

I'm currently backing their GoT Kickstarter at a low tier, but I'd dump a lot more into LOTR.

Yeah, for such an agrarian based society, the Shire sure had a lot of coin types/values. Maybe it was a result of them being under Arthedain's protection for so many years? Yeah, the denominations are pretty much invented because Tolkien never went into any level of detail on the currencies used. It's just one of those world-building details that was not necessary to this particular story. I'm quite happy with SPM to come up with stuff on their own.
This Space for Rent

I had a pledge in on the GOT Kickstarter, but cancelled it. I'll be all in on the next LOTR one, though. I've been asking them for more Rohan coins and have also suggested more Gondorian and Dwarven coins would be well received.

We'll see what they come upn with. My guess is that their next KS will be sometime well into next year, possibly even the fall.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Yeah. come to think of it, Lorien only has one coin, I think, and the Haradrim only have a couple. They could do Easterling coins, and maybe even some that were used in Ost-in-Edhil, back when Eregion was still a viable realm. Actually, they probably used the coinage of Lindon, which opens up even more possibilities. Then you have Arnor, with possibly the coinage diverging when the northern kingdom was split into Arthedain, Cardolan, and Rhudaur.

Wow, I guess there are still tons of possibilities left. Someone just has to give Tom a little nudge with these ideas.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:35 pm Oooooh, nice find!

Picking up a set for sure. More a fan of this format too so there's no exclusive coins to miss out due to Kickstarter amounts.
I just saw that they're doing a great sale with 30% off (which will then drop to 25% off). Use the promo code HOLIDAY19.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Valkrist wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:33 am Just ordered two sets of the Scouring Coins and one mithril Rivendell Moon coin. Thanks for posting that, Buckeye, I totally would have missed it otherwise. :thumbs_up
I'm always happy to share the good word about Shire Post Mint coins. I think they're wonderful.

On a related note, Helen Maringer just posted about the new Scouring of the Shire coins on one of the LOTR collector Facebook groups. At the end of the post she added this: "Sidenote: I'm currently in brainstorm phase for a big release of new Middle-earth coins. If there is a place/character/event that you'd love to see a coin feature, please let me know. I love hearing suggestions from collectors."

I certainly plan to share my ideas. :thumbs_up If anyone here isn't on Facebook and wants me to add their ideas to the mix, just post them here and I'll add them to the Facebook post.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Buckeye wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:56 pm I certainly plan to share my ideas. :thumbs_up If anyone here isn't on Facebook and wants me to add their ideas to the mix, just post them here and I'll add them to the Facebook post.
Oh, yes please! Let her know we need some coins from the following realms and cultures:

Arnor (Annuminas and Fornost mints), with a possible further breakdown into Arthadani, Cardolani, and Rhudaurian coinage.

Blue Mountain Dwarves.

Elves of Eregion.

Elves of Lindon.

A few more coins from Lorien.

:thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

Buckeye wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:56 pm On a related note, Helen Maringer just posted about the new Scouring of the Shire coins on one of the LOTR collector Facebook groups. At the end of the post she added this: "Sidenote: I'm currently in brainstorm phase for a big release of new Middle-earth coins. If there is a place/character/event that you'd love to see a coin feature, please let me know. I love hearing suggestions from collectors."

I certainly plan to share my ideas. :thumbs_up If anyone here isn't on Facebook and wants me to add their ideas to the mix, just post them here and I'll add them to the Facebook post.
I'm a big Rohan fan, so I'll definitely go for any coins from there. :)

Elvish coinage would be nifty, too. Dwarvish stuff is really cool, but a bit overdone by all involved (Weta, Noble, etc...).

Shire Post Coins just teased with this image this morning on their Facebook page. It looks Dwarven to me. If so, YES!
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.p ... &width=500" width="500" height="498" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Buckeye wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:50 am Shire Post Coins just teased with this image this morning on their Facebook page. It looks Dwarven to me. If so, YES!
Definitely dwarven.
Looks like the edge of Durin's axe.
In fact it reminds me of that super thick (about 5mm) solid copper coin with the ridged edge that has Durin's Axe on one side and Durin's Star and an Anvil on the reverse.
The difference is that this one looks 6 sided rather than round.

If it is the same except for the shape, I don't know if I'll get it.
What I'd really like to see SP make is more stand alone Rohan coins.
I'd pick up those in a heartbeat.

DC140detail.jpg
DC240.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Buckeye wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:50 am Shire Post Coins just teased with this image this morning on their Facebook page. It looks Dwarven to me. If so, YES!
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.p ... &width=500" width="500" height="498" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>
The new coin is now available for purchase.
https://zcu.io/qjoM

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Shire Post sale: 25% off everything.
They have come out with a lot of ME related Wax Stamping Seals.
Buckeye, there's a Rohan one (but maybe you already have it....)

Deimos wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:30 am Shire Post sale: 25% off everything.
They have come out with a lot of ME related Wax Stamping Seals.
Buckeye, there's a Rohan one (but maybe you already have it....)
I saw that, but haven't pulled the trigger. I don't think I do enough correspondence to make the seal worthwhile. What I'd like to add to my SPM collection is the Gondor double crown which is too expensive without a sale/discount price. It always seems to be conveniently out of stock. <grumble>

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Buckeye wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:56 am ...I saw that, but haven't pulled the trigger.... What I'd like to add to my SPM collection is the Gondor double crown which is too expensive without a sale/discount price. It always seems to be conveniently out of stock. <grumble>
Email them and mention that you've noticed the Gondor DC is always out of stock, and then ask if you can [back] order it anyway, and that you are willing to wait for it (just not wait an IndyProps long time :laugh: )

Return to “Manufacturers”