Your Other Collections

Seeing as most of us collect more than one thing, I thought it suitable to fill this section with those other hobbies or just collections that you have.

I've got a number of them actually... probably the same ones everyone has. A coin collection, a stamp collection, sports cards, and trading card games. I have baseball cards back from back when the Toronto Blue Jays one the "World Series" so around 1991. I have a rather large collection of hockey cards from various years and teams. I even have some cards, although their location is unknown to me at this moment, from some of the great hockey players back when there were only a few teams. They were my dads and I found them lying in a box one day... a great day I remember :) I will have to hunt those cards down and get them into some kind of storage device.

Along with those hockey cards, in the same box, I found some old radio chart cards that give the top songs played that week as well as other information about new bands and concerts. The first one in the pile is from 1965 and the last one 1970. It's pretty neat to see the difference in the designs as well as the songs. If anyone is from the Toronto area... you may know about CHUM radio... well, that is where these cards are from.

To mention some others.... Pokemon cards from when the craze was just beginning. The original Star Wars trading cards and a few e xp ansion sets. Magic The Gathering cards.... i've got a massive collection but none of them are really worth anything. We just added to the card collection some Star Gate cards... the complete 6th and 7th? seasons. They are probably the best looking cards i've seen in a while. I also have some scout badges that I started collecting when I was in scouts. Those were the days. That when I learned the meaning of work... and how to slack off :crazy2: Perhaps that wasn't a good thing... who knows.

There's my kellogs cereal toy collection... starwars popcans... my Red Bull can collection is starting too... so far I only have one and its from Greece :)

That seems to be it for now... I must say, i've got boxes and boxes and more binders full of cards. I will let you guys know if I find those old hockey cards I was talking about.

How about the rest of you? What are your other collections/hobbies/random and passing fads. :thumbs_up
Valar morghulis

Re: Your Other Collections

Wow Thorin! Guy loves his cards, eh?

Don't worry, i'm just as bad!
About 10years ago, i counted that i had just under 200 hockey cards!!! Just wondering where i put it!!! lol
Then there were a few "Ninja Turltes" movie cards, and about another 50 Magic cards (never got too involved in it though). I also ended up collecting Pogs during that craze as well...lol.

I also love my action figures! Think i have about 32 from LOTR (as can be seen in my pics) as well as another roughly 15 original Ninja Turtle ones.

Besides those, i also collect Letter Openers/Mini swords (comes with the territory...lol). Have some ranging from the $5 junk ones you find in any flea market to a $70 one hand made in England to one that's roughly 200yrs old.

Then there are my baseball caps...lol. Somehow i ended up having, literally, 1 a year for my age. So i figured i must continue this strange pattern and now end up buying 1 a year (from all over the world).

Sigh...and, of course, the cars! I have about 150 hotwheels, another 150 cheaper knockoffs, about 10 Miasto models. But my all time favourite was a gift i received when i was 5yrs old...a solid bronze Porche from England that is about the 1:16 size.

And, lastly, chess sets! lol I only have a handfull, but they're pretty cool:
Simpsons, hand carved marble from India, Kasparov signed computer set, antique computer set, solid glass set, solid pewter and bronze set with hand stitched leather board (from Italy), and of course the traditional wooden carved ones..lol.

I believe that's it.....but they've all taken a backseat to my weapons collecting now!

I have hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of marvel universe cards ranging from about 1990-1995 or so.

i was into pogs too and still have lotsof those.

hmmm i have bunches and bunches of ninja turtles toys from back when i was a kid and i have about 99.9% of every Thundercat toy that was released in the states
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

It was not so much that I loved the cards... it was more the "in" thing to do. My brother and his friends had baseball cards, so I had to have them too! For some reason, I kept on adding more cards to my collection... eventually turning to hockey cards after sitting down for an entire hockey game. My dad played hockey too... so it was something for me to do.

I forgot to mention.... I have a massive collection of lego in my basement. I've got boxes full of pieces. I also have WarHammer figures too... I got into those at one point. I always wanted to play with my friends.. but they got bored to quickly and the guys down at the Games Workshop were to nerdy for me to take seriously... lol. I just wanted to beat people with my Dark Elf army... I should convince some people to play that again... it was fun... while it lasted.

The thing that I have learned from all of this is that I've spent a lot of money over many years buying useless things, although they were fun at the time, are still useless now. I can only hope that they will be worth something one day and that I'll be able to sell them to someone who really wants them.

We are only temporary caretakers for our hobbies. When we grow tired of them or cannot afford to keep them around, we pass them along to someone who really cares for it. That is one of the reasons why I would like an antique sword. They tell a story... who used it, who died on it... if anyone at all, who found it, who had it before me and so on. Living history you might call it.

:)
Valar morghulis

I only have a couple of other collections than have been steadily growing over the course of my life. One is a foreign money collection. It's nothing special really, just coins and notes collected and kept from all the different countries I have been to in my fairly short life, which is quite a few.
The other is Manchester United merchandise, which includes photos, cards, stickers, books, and of course, the shirts (or jerseys, if you're American). Too bad I don't have the £3000 to buy the ultimate Manchester United collectible: the 800 page, 35kg Opus! Alas, but one day it shall be mine!

When I was a kid, I had the entire first series of Biker Mice action figures :thumbs_up I put them all on my Christmas list one year, and to my amazement, I got every single one! Happy year that year! I've still got them all, but they're back in England with all the other stuff that didn't need to be brought here straightaway.

Other than that, I've got an ever e xp anding collection of fantasy books, one of only two genres I read. I recently added Roger Zelazny's The Great Book of Amber to my collection, and am looking forward to reading it after concluding Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire.
I also have a fair number of titles by infamous men of history, such as Machiavelli's The Prince, Sun Tzu's The Art of War, and Voltaire's Candide to name but a few.

My PS2 game collection now spans 40 games, at a cost of over $1500...I complain about that I suppose, but it's worth it.
;)

Oh boy, where to begin?

Well, aside from all the LOTR stuff in the other thread:

I guess first and foremost would be my comic book collection. Consisting mainly of X-Men titles and its myriad spinoff series, I have several full comic boxes containing hundreds of mint condition comics spanning nearly three decades, which I collected in the space of approximately four years. Many of my older issues are valued at over $100 each, so though I am not sure of the entire worth of my collection, I'm sure it's very high at this point.

Next would be my DVD collection. Not including the odd TV series here and there, I am nearing the 300th movie title mark in my personal video library. Thankfully my tiny VHS collection was cut short by the timely arrival of DVDs, and this is one of the reasons I am so opposed to the new Hi-Def revolution: too soon.

After that are collectable card games. Though I never got into Magic the Gathering, I did buy into its Dungeons & Dragons equivalent by TSR, called Spellfire. After completing the main set, they released about seven or eight e xp ansions and I collected them all. As mentioned in the LOTR collection thread, I also got the Middle-earth: The Wizards card game and its e xp ansions as well.

In the computer game department, I have boxes of the stuff, most of it in storage. Having owned a computer since 1986 (Commodore 64, anyone?) I've amassed quite a collection over the years. I'd say I have probably two hundred titles, if not more, though I've given away, lost, sold, many of my older titles over time. I currently own an Xbox as well, but have only a dozen games for it. This is my first console in twenty years, since I last owned a Colleco Vision. I plan to get an Xbox 360, but I'm mainly a PC guy.

Then come fantasy novels, of which I have probably about a hundred titles, from various select authours. I used to have many more, including a lot of sci-fi (mostly Star Trek,) but gave them away to a friend a few years ago.

Last but not least is my pen-and-paper RPG collection. Having played Dungeons & Dragons for about twenty years, I've a huge collection of rulebooks, campaign settings, adventure modules, and supplements. This extends into Rolemaster and its Middle-earth setting, for which I also own a ton of gaming material. With all this comes the miniature lead figurines which I used to paint for tabletop gaming.

Lastly, like Flame, I also like to collect currency from all the places I've travelled to, as well as coins other people give me, and commemorative coins from Canada and the US, like the province and state 25 cent pieces.

That about covers it, I think. I have a few other assorted things, but not enough of one kind or another to actually call it a 'collection.' In retrospect, with all the money I've spent on all these things over time, I could have paid for my home and had enough leftover to go on a vacation. :|

I'm not sure if that would have been as much fun though. ;)

PS. Worthy of mention here are three collections that I no longer own, back from when I used to live in Portugal as a kid. I had a huge collection of Walt Disney comics, and a complete set of Asterix the Gaul hardbound graphic novels. Sadly it was all lost when I moved here. A lot of stuff was left behind, and when our place there was sold, my grandmother was left in charge of disposing of what we had left there, and I never knew what happened to my books. What really sticks in my throat though is my collection of original Star Wars toys from Kenner in the 70's and 80's, which are now worth thousands of dollars. I had the Millennium Falcon, Darth Vader's TIE Fighter, two X-Wing Fighters, an AT-AT Imperial Walker, and about twenty original character action figures with carrying case. I did bring all that with me to Canada, but once I outgrew them, I made the mistake of giving them to my young nephew as toys, not really thinking he was still much too young to take care of such stuff, and I was unaware of its potential value at the time. Within a year, it was all broken or lost. I don't think I'll ever get over that mistake. :'(

Valkrist wrote: What really sticks in my throat though is my collection of original Star Wars toys from Kenner in the 70's and 80's, which are now worth thousands of dollars. I had the Millennium Falcon, Darth Vader's TIE Fighter, two X-Wing Fighters, an AT-AT Imperial Walker, and about twenty original character action figures with carrying case. I did bring all that with me to Canada, but once I outgrew them, I made the mistake of giving them to my young nephew as toys, not really thinking he was still much too young to take care of such stuff, and I was unaware of its potential value at the time. Within a year, it was all broken or lost. I don't think I'll ever get over that mistake. :'(
When I was a kid, the "Peanuts" characters from Charles Schulz (Charlie Brown, Snoopy, etc.) were all the rage. I had a set of...well, it would be misleading to call them "action figures," tho they were jointed--dolls would be more accurate (hey, I was like 6). When I got "too old," I threw them away. I'm sure they'd be worth a small fortune now.

Right now, the only collectible thing I have of any great worth is the Hallmark Star Trek ornament of the TOS Enterprise from 1991. It's worth a few hundred bucks.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

hehe year valkrist i remember comedor 64 games,i never had one my self i was not allowed my parence dident what it,but one of my freinds had one we always played games.
i had alot of legos and small matchbox cars,and cartoon comic books whits i collected,all difrent ciends from marvel, dc and others.spidermann-hulk-superman-donal duck-tarzan-fantastik 4-daredevil-x men and conan.
and ofcause fantomet i had almost the complet colection of fantomet.only missing 4 numbers.
man i had almost 800 comics.me and my freind use to go to an antikbook shop and spend our small savings on cartoon books.
it all got lost, :'( in the big caos there was, when my parence got separetet,17 years ago.
i did manased to save some of my comic books,whits i still have after all thise years. :thumbs_up

I too collect other things, some I use to collect and still got. I have a hockey card collection of complete sets from 1971 to 1992(opeechee). I also have a large magic the gathering cards about 25 complete (sets i counted more like 34 complete sets), 50 000 cards total. then theres my die-cast cars around 400 of them 1/18, some 1/24 and small ones. I collect books from j.j. fedorociz pub.and others most ww2. Got some ww2 war prints from taylor. Their nice!!! I have around 75 transformer in thier boxes some still factory sealed. I got some coins too going back till the 1800s mostly. Don't really collect them, just then I find them. Sometimes you miss things when you collect to many things and you never have a nuff bills. also around 30 plus swords/knifes,lotr,paul chen,kit rae, cold steel and hibben
Last edited by thegreatdestoyer on Sun May 20, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thegreatdestoyer wrote:I too collect other things, some I use to collect and still got. I have a hockey card collection of complete sets from 1971 to 1992. I also have a large magic the gathering cards about 25 complete sets, 50 000 cards total. then theres my die-cast cars around 400 of them 1/18, some 1/24 and small ones. I collect books from j.j. fedorociz pub.and others most ww2. Got some ww2 war prints from taylor. Their nice!!! I have around 75 transformer in thier boxes some still factory sealed. I got some coins too going back till the 1800s mostly. Don't really collect them just then I find them. Sometimes you miss things when you collect to many things and you never have a nuff bills.
Wow. That is quite a collection! I'd love to see some pictures.

Which make are those hockey cards? I forgot to mention on here that I found those old cards that my dad had collected when he was a wee-lad. I've got some autographed ones from Frank Maholich, Eddie Shack, Johnn Bower, and others. Plus some larger photograph sized cards but I have no idea as to the date they were printed nor their value. I should see about that someday. :)
Valar morghulis

Oh Lord, it might be easier if I just told you what I DON'T collect. :D

I have comic books out the wazoo, mostly X-men and Marvel comics. But I do have a few DC and lesser known company books. I have been reading these since I was introduced to comics in the 60's. The first one I ever read was Spiderman #1. :) I also have a large collection of the Fleer Marvel cards from the mid to late 90's. those kinda fizzled out quick tho. I also collect books, I have every star wars book published and have read them all, I also read Terry Brooks, Terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan(R.I.P), Roger Zelazny (AMBER!!!!!), and a conglomeration of others to vast to mention. Mostly SF/Fantasy stuff. I have well over 200 DVD/BD's, Xbox, Wii, and PS3 games. Star Wars collectibles, Statues, Models, etc. Oh and I have a very large collection of old uselsee computer parts and such. I could go on but my hands are getting tired. rofl
Thraken-Sal

I collect action figures, but mostly the Medicom ones. I have the Genie from Aladdin, The Rocketeer, The Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker. They are VERY well made, nothing like them in the States comes close. They have a BioHazard Leon I want (Resident Evil) but he's about $175 smackers and I can't justify it...especially since I just bought a new ukulele...

Return to “Other Collectibles”