Comics !!!

Well, I guess I'm trying to recapture a part of my childhood... And one way is that i'm in my mid-20's and started buying comic books again! Not sure how i got into it AGAIN...but, i'm not complaining...lol.

Lately i've picked up:

1) All 5 issues of Marvel's "Trojan War"
2) 2 issues of "Batman vs. Predator"
3) 1 TMNT - but will probably get a few more soon...
4) "Olympians" - #1 "Zeus" and #2 "Athena"
5) Virgin's "Ramayan 3392" Vol 1 and Vol 2
6) Frank Miller's "300"

On a side note - Frank Miller's working on "Xerxes", a prequel to "300", from the Battle of Marathon upto the story of "300" i believe...

So, does anyone else still collect/read comics? And any opinions of the ones i bought? Haven't read them yet...
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Re: Comics !!!

About fifteen years ago, I went through what you're going through now. My perdition were the X-Men and all else related, and I spent a few years collecting current ones and hunting down back issues.

Now, in eight huge comic boxes down in my storage locker, I have the entire run of Uncanny X-Men from issue #94 to #322 (just to give some perspective to that, the #90s are from the mid 1970's,) and my prize #58. I also have a ton of X-Factor, X-Force, Excalibur, Cable, Generation-X, X-Man, etc.

Also have some rare Star Wars, Batman, AVP, and other assorted goodies, including a copy of the Death of Superman issue still sealed in the black bag with the Superman logo in blood.

All told, I think I have about $10k worth of comics stored away. I gave up collecting a long time ago because it can get e xp ensive, and also because I felt the quality of the writing was becoming too dilluted. As a whole, the entire comic industry kinda crashed at the turn of the century. Not sure what what it's like now.
This Space for Rent

My brother-in-law has the number one issue of Fantastic Four, last time he checked it was worth about 10K but he isn't interested in selling it.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]My brother-in-law has the number one issue of Fantastic Four, last time he checked it was worth about 10K but he isn't interested in selling it.[/quote]

He could get 10k for that if it's in VF condition (7 outta 10). So few copies are. The "rarest" issue I have is FF #48 which has the 1st appearance of Silver Surfer. It was CGC graded at a 9.2. (near mint).

I grew up reading comics but stayed mostly to the "dark" stuff... Miller's Sin City, Dark Knight Returns. Watchmen was a favorite. Probably the last thing I was impressed by was "Kingdom Come" in 1996... Kinda got out of the scene after that. Although, I always stayed faithful to Jeff Smith's "Bone." :thumbs_up

I used to love watching spiderman as a kid. Does that count? =D
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

Darlak - lol, yes, that does count. Only because i also watched Spiderman growing up (as well as Ninja Turtles, Rocket Robinhood, Hercules, etc....lol).

Val - wow, very impressive. But my question to you, good sir, is did you collect them to read and enjoy, or was it more about the hunt for rare issues?

Well, i'm not too sure about the writing in the generic comic line nowadays. I'm mainly sticking to (being a Classical History buff) more of the Greek-inspired comics - "300", "Xerxes" (when it come out), "Trojan War", and "Olympians"...

Hi Jash,

I loved the X-Men, so I collected them all for the great storylines. It was when the quality went downhill that I stopped. Some of the other comics I did buy for future value, but the enjoyment of reading them was always the primary goal.
This Space for Rent

Well I did have a period where I read alot of spiderman comics, 2 or 3 years ago. I also frequently buy conan comics. But I've never been a collector of comics, I just like reading them =P
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

I never was into actual comic books, but I did collect Marvel trading cards when I was a kid... every once in a while I will collect and finish some sets off of ebay I never got finished years and years back.

I remember in the early 90s (93-96) or so, probably around the same era you were talking about Val, when there was that 90s boom in comics... anyway... I remember me and my mom would go to the local comic book store probably 3-4 times a week after school and buy new packs of cards and trade cards. My mom was into it about as much as me, she would know what cards I needed, she could go without me and know what was going on, and she knew if I was going to get screwed over too.

Well, that's another pleasant aspect to Comics...they take you back. Back in the days when we were "care-free" kids having fun. That's part of the reason i'm getting back into comics again...not liking this "growing up" stuff...lol.

I also am not into collecting them... But, i find for me - besides the storyline, the artwork also got me hooked. One good example is one of the newer comics i ordered: "Ramayan 3392" in which Vol 1 arrived today. I look foward to reading it since it's based upon the old Hindu story "Ramayana"..but the artwork blew me away. Apparently there is a movie in production of this Comic Series as well!

Oh, although not exactly comics, I remember back when I was a kid and pokemon got released. Was about 6, and nothing was cooler than collecting and trading the cards. I was a superb scammer.

[quote=""Valkrist""]Hi Jash,

I loved the X-Men, so I collected them all for the great storylines. [/quote]

The Jim Lee X-Men stuff was awesome. The last X-Men story I collected was "Age of Apocalypse". Some killer art by Joe Mad on that series. :thumbs_up

Return to “Other Collectibles”