Phial of Galadriel - light up edition

With all the recent talk of this item I'd thought I'd try something to help ward off the intruding spiders in the dungeon.

I'd really like to find a way to incorporate something like this into my tabletop display somehow, maybe with some sort of motion sensor with a slow flicker or fade to start then last for 30 sec and then fade out.

Anyone have any leads of how to do something like this? I have the lights just need the other components.

Re: Phial of Galadriel - light up edition

I've had a set of battery operated mini incandescent light used for Christmas wreaths for awhile and haven't figured out the best way to make them work the way I want to yet. Yes they are just in the palm of my hand with the wires going through my fingers out the back. Just the right angle of the camera hides it well.
Last edited by N2darkness on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""N2darkness""]With all the recent talk of this item I'd thought I'd try something to help ward off the intruding spiders in the dungeon.

I'd really like to find a way to incorporate something like this into my tabletop display somehow, maybe with some sort of motion sensor with a slow flicker or fade to start then last for 30 sec and then fade out.

Anyone have any leads of how to do something like this? I have the lights just need the other components.[/quote]

N2D check this out.

http://www.pcbheaven.com/circuitpages/L ... ut_Dimmer/

The thing is, this is for lighting LEDs (I’ll be using 3 on/in my Phial).
You will have to modify the Q1 part of it for incandescent bulbs

The only thing I’m changing is the push button switch.

In place of the switch I’m going to use a transistor switch turned on with an IR proximity sensor (Sharp GP2Y0A02YK $14)

http://sharp-world.com/products/device/ ... 0a02_e.pdf

It will out put 1.8 to 2.3 V (typical 2.05) depending on distance (59 inches to 10 inches)

Power for the dimmer ckt will be 2 9V batts in series dropped to 12 v with a 7812 type regulator ( I want this to be stand alone) and I’ll use a regular SPST toggle switch to turn the whole thing off

Just have to figure out where to put the sensor to make it unobtrusive

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""N2darkness""]Wow, thanks for the info. I think it may be a little more than what I can to do. Maybe if you get around to doing this I may have you make me one as well if your willing to. I'd really like to see this in action with the Phial to see what kind of effect it makes. Great suggestions![/quote]

I just did a little more research and learned a heckuva lot.
I can use 4 AAs (5v total) with a "boost converter" chip and get 12v out (tron magic :) ) with plenty of current for the LEDs. And the AAs can be used to power the IR sensor directly.

N2, what is the batt voltage and power ratings of the mini bulbs you used (per bulb ) or just tell me the specs of the entire thing and how many bulbs are on it.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Return to “Other Collectibles”