Lord of the Rings Chess sets

I just purchased the War of the Rings chess set from Royal Selangor. It is the standard edition in pewter and copper, not the shotglass version. It has the board and chess pieces.

Anyone have a clue of the value of this item? I have browsed the web a bit but can't find any for sale. There is one with the shotglasses on ebay and it's rather expensive, but nothing listed for this version...

This is the set:

Any info appreciated :coolsmile

Re: Lord of the Rings Chess sets

That is a really nice looking chess set....I like that the pieces are real metal.

Not sure I understand your question about pricing it elsewhere.

If it''s currently available for purchase (you just bought one) I would expect it to go for the current R-S purchase price on ebay, Amazon, etc. ...the same as what you paid (allowing for currency conversion differences).

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Thanks for your reply Deimos. Well I didn't buy it on ebay so there are no references there for price. Only the other set from Royal Selangor with the shot glasses, and it doesnt have all the pieces and still is set to £600 or $922.

Oh of course I didnt check Royal Selangors webpage... I thought it was OOS. But looks like they have it in limited stock still.

http://www.royalselangor.com/products/w ... set-275510

Just found it on that link, and if that is the retail price... yikes!

Sirjump wrote:Thanks for your reply Deimos. Well I didn't buy it on ebay so there are no references there for price. Only the other set from Royal Selangor with the shot glasses, and it doesnt have all the pieces and still is set to £600 or $922.

Oh of course I didnt check Royal Selangors webpage... I thought it was OOS. But looks like they have it in limited stock still.

http://www.royalselangor.com/products/w ... set-275510

Just found it on that link, and if that is the retail price... yikes!

Too funny! Yikes is right.

I was actually going to post the R-S webpage to show you the price, but upon re-reading your post, I got the impression that you had bought it directly from R-S.
So I thought "Well, I'm not posting that webpage because [doh!] that is where he bought it, and he has already seen it."
Yep... $1725 (USD). Still.. it really is nice

I bought it privately on our version of Craigslist or something. I got it very cheap considering what R-S lists it for.

And... of course the seller must have found out the real value of it, because I just got an email where he claims he regrets selling it, he wasn't supposed to etc... and he wants me to return it and he will send me back the money.

According to norwegian law he does not have a claim on the item now that: 1. A deal was made (which basically is all that is needed), 2. Seller received money in full, 3. Seller shipped the item.

But I expect I might get some nasty emails... sigh.

Do you guys agree that it is now way too late for the seller to back down from this?

Ever here of "Buyer's Remorse" ?
That guy is experiencing "Seller's remorse".

The deal was legitimately conducted.
Can you retrieve the Craigslist posting? If you can, just keep it handy.

Do not respond to any emails from him. None. He may threaten court action or some such bullying.
If the Norwegian court system is anything like the one in the US, you would know he is actually pursuing some legal recourse if you were "Served papers" ...literally, you would have to be notified in writing that someone was pursuing legal action against you. He may make a lot of noise about doing it but he won't do it for.... what, maybe $1000 (USD).

You will never be able to win an email exchange, no matter how well you prove your [honest] point.
Really, just filter his emails...do not engage him at all. As far as he can tell, you will have disappeared from the earth.
Any discussion will encourage him that he can wear you down or get your worried that he has a case.
He doesn't ...so don't even begin to talk to him.

Idril wrote:Unless the proven owner is not the guy that sold it to you and can prove the guy sold it without their permission, I think he has nothing. Even then you could argue, you will wait to see if he is found guilty of stealing it in a court of law.
Yeah, I thought about that "version" he could play too, but as you say, if it wasnt his, the owner would have to charge him with theft first, and then the court would have to decide. And only if he was convicted would I be forced to return it I believe.

Deimos wrote:Ever here of "Buyer's Remorse" ?
That guy is experiencing "Seller's remorse".

The deal was legitimately conducted.
Can you retrieve the Craigslist posting? If you can, just keep it handy.

Do not respond to any emails from him. None. He may threaten court action or some such bullying.
If the Norwegian court system is anything like the one in the US, you would know he is actually pursuing some legal recourse if you were "Served papers" ...literally, you would have to be notified in writing that someone was pursuing legal action against you. He may make a lot of noise about doing it but he won't do it for.... what, maybe $1000 (USD).

You will never be able to win an email exchange, no matter how well you prove your [honest] point.
Really, just filter his emails...do not engage him at all. As far as he can tell, you will have disappeared from the earth.
Any discussion will encourage him that he can wear you down or get your worried that he has a case.
He doesn't ...so don't even begin to talk to him.
Yeah I have the link and a screenshot of the page were he listed it for highest bidder. It was as you say a legitimate deal according to Norwegian law.

He sent me a friends request on Facebook a little while ago, I blocked it. I am doing exactly what you say, not going to reply to anything unless it is a claim from our court of law. I do not feel I have cheated this guy at all. It is his problem he didnt check the value before listing it for sale. Heck, I have made some regretful sales in my life too, but I moved on.

Thanks for the replies =)

hej sirjump .
i dont now why this ches set.that you want is so speciel? and the price of orund 1000 bucks , is redicuelees .whot is up .whit this chess set.?
i now that , lotr items is expensive ,in the north and (i se you are from norway).

so maby tjek out this webside .fuglsangbiz.dk
they have alot of noble colections items ,also the gondor vs. mordor chess set .cost 4999,-dk =671,00 EURO = 762,23 US d.

i have not personely , bougt enything from this webside yet so i dont now if they are realable.

But i am thinking about buying stuff.
Before i do place any order, i will contact this webside .
just to tjek out if it is real . :horseback

if you have eny thougts plees let us now my northern freind :viking:

Return to “Other Collectibles”