Re: Weta launches new site!

[quote=""Valkrist""]wow... looks beautiful! :)

The width of the blade looks much smaller compared to the UC version, or is that just me and/or the camera angles? And yes, the coffin-like box with the sword forming a cross is creepy and uber-cool at the same time.[/quote]

i will put up some more pics,might give you a better idea.

[quote=""Sedhal""]Yeah Val, as much as I've been shot down about it when comparing blade stats of each UC and the real deal, I'm still convinced there's something(s) incredibly different dimension-wise. It looked different in person at the exhibition, looks different in the stills, on camera, and here. And nobody tell me it's just the finish.

Night Rider, do you have the UC version to compare it with? I know ed does, so one day I'll have my answer.[/quote]

no i dont have the uc version,we will have to wait for ed to get his.

[quote=""Rough666""]What does it smell like? I'll bet it smells good.

PS- The coffin is rad.[/quote]

smells of orc blood!!

Arise! Arise, riders of Théoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered - a sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride to ruin, and the world's ending! Forth Éorlingas!"

Hmm... To be perfectly honest, those sword photos are not saying enough.
To me, here it looks almost like polished Noble Collection sword... from the
poc, I would hardly guess it's the real deal.

But I'm not craving for photos (already having professional ones on Weta's
website); I'm very curious about the package.

Tell me, my future brother by Lyon (I hope), is 26lb (11.8kg) package-only
weight, or is it sword-included total?

Second, that cardboard outer box, does it have logotypes or other Weta
markings, anything that would give away it's contest?

Final, do you believe that info plaque on the front of the coffin could be
painlessly removed and later put back on, without suffering any damage?
(I'm 99% sure it's not possible, since it looks bolted.)

And could you please get more pictures of certificate and specification
sheet? Those look very nice!

And yeah, I knew about the coffin. ;) Extremely practical and safe:

Many, many, many congratulations.

What you now have is (in my mind) the best sword in existence.
Last edited by ed209 on Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""ed209""]Hmm... To be perfectly honest, those sword photos are not saying enough.
To me, here it looks almost like polished Noble Collection sword... from the
poc, I would hardly guess it's the real deal.

But I'm not craving for photos (already having professional ones on Weta's
website); I'm very curious about the package.

Tell me, my future brother by Lyon (I hope), is 26lb (11.8kg) package-only
weight, or is it sword-included total?

Second, that cardboard outer box, does it have logotypes or other Weta
markings, anything that would give away it's contest?

Final, do you believe that info plaque on the front of the coffin could be
painlessly removed and later put back on, without suffering any damage?
(I'm 99% sure it's not possible, since it looks bolted.)

And could you please get more pictures of certificate and specification
sheet? Those look very nice!

And yeah, I knew about the coffin. ;) Extremely practical and safe:

Many, many, many congratulations.

What you now have is (in my mind) the best sword in existence.[/quote]

hey ed,i dont know about the noble sword but if its like the uc version then there is no comparison to peter lyons sword.sorry my pics dont show what i mean by that :(

the plaque on the coffin lid is fixed so that you would damage it i think if you tried removing it,why not ask weta to leave it un attached for when you pick yours up?

26 lbs is sword and packaging total and brown shipper-box had no tell tale weta marks,it didn't even have my name on there!

pic of cert and the other papers are only care instuctions not specs of sword and the dvd wont run on my computer or ps3 blueray.must contact them on what player in need to watch the benny hill episode.LOL!
Arise! Arise, riders of Théoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered - a sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride to ruin, and the world's ending! Forth Éorlingas!"

WOW.
Congrats Night Rider on one of sweetest swords in the movie-sword world!!! I just spent almost a good 15min just staring at your pics....and must admit, almost had an urge to grab my VISA and contact Weta :) lol.
How does she feel in the hands???
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

[quote=""ed209""]But then you remembered they were sold out sharply two months ago? :) [/quote]
LOL - yes, that was ONE reason. The second was i remembered how much it cost.... I can't justify spending 5 digits on a single sword.......... yet ;)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Wow. That is all I can say. Actually I'm incapable of saying anything at the moment, that's why I'm typing it. I don't know where I've been for four months (actually I do, but all that aside), but I just spent two and a half of the best hours of my now seemingly wasted and insignificant life reading all 17 pages of this wonderful thread. #1, #2, AND #3, all to members of this forum. All joking aside, I'm wiping a 100% Genuine tear from my right eye. This is amazing. I've only heard reference to ed's amazing tale but never knew the source. Jash, start saving, it's your turn! Keep the dream alive, brother!
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Yes, let us keep on until all 10 edition numbers are in UC forum member hands!

*still saving madly in hopes of obtaining Glamdring when it comes out*

EDIT EDIT: Like Ed, I only have the means for one Peter Lyon sword, so I really want to make it count by getting Glamdring. It's the sword of the most famous wizard in all of history! (except maybe Merlin, but he didn't have a sword and is thus out of the running)

EDIT: (Ed 209, who is a very knowledgeable sword person, says Anduril is the best sword in existence, and I say that Glamdring is the best sword in existence :D Here's hoping that there's one edition number open when it comes out. You hear me, Weta? *goes and composes another e-mail*)
Last edited by Jamanticus on Sat May 01, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

Oh, you can bet on the forum being absolutely flooded with pics from every angle I can think of. Even if other forum members who decide to purchase one post pics of theirs (which will probably be better than mine), I'll still post pics galore.

And you can bet I'll also be posting one fateful pic that shows Peter Lyon's version next to UC's standard and MC editions.

Another thing that just occurred to me about Glamdring is that the film prop's design is perfectly tailored for its name of Foe-Hammer and Beater. Its leaf blade would give it a little bit more angular momentum over a standard sword, thus increasing the average force of a blow. Foe-Hammer. Genius!

EDIT: Just heard back from Weta- they don't know the pricing for Glamdring's scabbard/belt yet, still a bit vague on details, but they were nice and said they'd keep me updated with that and let me know about the whole edition number availability thing once the first refusal rights people are done saying yes or no when it's released. Wow, that was a bit of a run-on sentence...
Last edited by Jamanticus on Sun May 02, 2010 10:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

[quote=""Jamanticus""]Oh, you can bet on the forum being absolutely flooded with pics from every angle I can think of. Even if other forum members who decide to purchase one post pics of theirs (which will probably be better than mine), I'll still post pics galore.

And you can bet I'll also be posting one fateful pic that shows Peter Lyon's version next to UC's standard and MC editions.

Another thing that just occurred to me about Glamdring is that the film prop's design is perfectly tailored for its name of Foe-Hammer and Beater. Its leaf blade would give it a little bit more angular momentum over a standard sword, thus increasing the average force of a blow. Foe-Hammer. Genius!

EDIT: Just heard back from Weta- they don't know the pricing for Glamdring's scabbard/belt yet, still a bit vague on details, but they were nice and said they'd keep me updated with that and let me know about the whole edition number availability thing once the first refusal rights people are done saying yes or no when it's released. Wow, that was a bit of a run-on sentence...[/quote]

Good luck jamanticus with your glam dream.You've definately put yourself in a good position in getting one with your correspondence with weta!

Bravo. :thumbs_up

[quote=""Jamanticus""]Yes, let us keep on until all 10 edition numbers are in UC forum member hands!

*still saving madly in hopes of obtaining Glamdring when it comes out*

EDIT EDIT: Like Ed, I only have the means for one Peter Lyon sword, so I really want to make it count by getting Glamdring. It's the sword of the most famous wizard in all of history! (except maybe Merlin, but he didn't have a sword and is thus out of the running)

EDIT: (Ed 209, who is a very knowledgeable sword person, says Anduril is the best sword in existence, and I say that Glamdring is the best sword in existence :D Here's hoping that there's one edition number open when it comes out. You hear me, Weta? *goes and composes another e-mail*)[/quote]
So Jaman, you going with sharp and polished if you get a Glamdring?
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Actually, I'm hoping to get a distressed/sharpened Glamdring if I'm able.

I know that's definitely not many peoples' cup of tea, but that is the version of the sword I like the most- signifies both Glamdring's magical nature (how else could a sword have just a little bit of surface wear after 6,000 years of existence?) and the lived-in look the filming prop has.

So Ed, here is a question for you:

Have you insured your Anduril in any way? Goes without saying that it would be tragic if something bad befell a work of art like that, and you can never pay enough for peace of mind, but I'm curious to know what you've done about it, if anything, and how much it costs to insure a sword like that?

I suppose in most cases, and assuming your parents have house insurance, the sword would be covered under content insurance, which typically includes things like fire or theft. Am I right in your case? Did you have to inform the insurance company of such a high priced item and therefore increase the amount covered on the insurance policy? I'm not an e xp ert on such things, but it is my understanding that if something were to happen and the sword was not on their list, they wouldn't cover it, unless you have enough room under the amount already insured to cover the loss of the sword.

Anyone think about this? How have you gone about insuring your MSSC blades, and what are the potential costs involved?
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]So Ed, here is a question for you:

Have you insured your Anduril in any way?[/quote]

Yes. In many ways.

[quote=""Valkrist""]Goes without saying that it would be tragic if something bad befell a work of art like that, and you can never pay enough for peace of mind, but I'm curious to know what you've done about it, if anything, and how much it costs to insure a sword like that?[/quote]

Please understand that I can't go in details with all this, as I came up with
loads of different layers of insurance, but I can share the business part: it's
around $400 a year (sword is valued approx. $19.000), and that amount
depends on how well the item is protected from theft. Better protection =
lower costs.

As you can see, I'm paying ridiculously low.

[quote=""Valkrist""]I suppose in most cases, and assuming your parents have house insurance, the sword would be covered under content insurance, which typically includes things like fire or theft. Am I right in your case? Did you have to inform the insurance company of such a high priced item and therefore increase the amount covered on the insurance policy? I'm not an e xp ert on such things, but it is my understanding that if something were to happen and the sword was not on their list, they wouldn't cover it, unless you have enough room under the amount already insured to cover the loss of the sword.[/quote]

I'm not sure about that. Andúril is not in my parents' house, nor anywhere
near my town (as I said, "different layers of insurance"). It's to keep it safe,
but also because I don't have enough space to display it properly. Here I keep
my collection of UC pieces -- LOTR and Hibben -- but Hanwei, Albion and
Lyon are not at hand.

I had plenty of time to arrange the whole strategy about getting it, but
simultaneously I knew I'll have to sleep well after the purchase.

I know that this doesn't answer your questions at all, but I have no doubts
you'll understand my reasons.

Also, could you please move "Questions for Peter Lyon" in Weta forums?
Thanks!

:thumbs_up

[quote=""Valkrist""]
I suppose in most cases, and assuming your parents have house insurance, the sword would be covered under content insurance, which typically includes things like fire or theft. Am I right in your case? Did you have to inform the insurance company of such a high priced item and therefore increase the amount covered on the insurance policy? I'm not an e xp ert on such things, but it is my understanding that if something were to happen and the sword was not on their list, they wouldn't cover it, unless you have enough room under the amount already insured to cover the loss of the sword.

Anyone think about this? How have you gone about insuring your MSSC blades, and what are the potential costs involved?[/quote]

Usually "contents" insurance covers normal house contents; funriture, clothes books, cds, DVDs, sound systems, i.e., typical house stuff that most people have.

Anytime there is a collection, like stamps or coins or really e xp ensive jewelry, or artwork or guns (or swords), one-of-a-kind things or almost one a kind thing (like an Albion sword) it is covered separately with what is called a "rider" on the policy. If you want to get a rider you almost always have to have an appraisal done of the object or collection first. At least that is the way it works with homeowner's insurance in the US. (2 of my uncles and my maternal grandfather were in the insurance business)

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Actually, Ed, I wasn't looking for the nitty-gritty details for obvious security reasons, so you answered my questions quite satisfactorily. I know you are a careful and astute person, so I would have already guessed that you would have taken as many precautions as possible in keeping your sword(s) safe. You are getting a very good price, and I think that's very encouraging for others considering their options.

It will be interesting to see (in case other people chime in on the subject,) what they've done to protect their collections. Deimos also helped to clear up some things about the exact process for me, so thanks for that!

And Sed... lol... your "insurance policy" is certainly effective and makes sense, but sadly wouldn't cover a loss due to a house burning down or some other nasty thing happening that didn't have to do with jerks breaking into your place and looking for things to steal. :|
This Space for Rent

Will be getting mine insured as well.

It'll have a GPS tracking implant in it so I'll always know exactly where it is. After all, can't be too careful. In addition, I'll have Weta send out several other dummy shipments to throw shipping thieves off the scent, and once it arrives it will be kept in a series of magnetically-sealed vaults, rotating to different locations periodically (in an armored car, of course). Guarded by vicious animals, lasers, robots, and moats of lava, I'll try to keep it as safe from others as possible. Sure, I'll never get to see it, but at least I'll know it's relatively safe from the grabby hands of others.

The above was a joke, but it will be insured.

Always love it when the humor kicks in around here. :crazy:

Insurance is one of those "shades of gray" businesses that get to jump all over the place based on circumstances.

It'll be interesting to know what each MSSC owner has to pay, and possibly know what the insurance companies reasons are.

My guess would be that if you live in a statistically low crime rate area, the cost would be very low.

If ed's $400 is just for his Anduril, that seems high to me when I think of it in terms of insuring my business. $800 a year provides me with millions in coverage, but that's what I meant about insurance jumping around. $125 per year buy's me about $35,000 in renters insurance for my personal possessions. $750 per year for basic automobile coverage (no collision coverage).

So many stats to throw the price here and there, for what and why?

This has made me think I should call my agent and inquire about a rider for my collection.
Thanks for the question Val, and for your input Deimos :thumbs_up
And for the humor Jaman & GW. :D
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]...This has made me think I should call my agent and inquire about a rider for my collection.
Thanks for the question Val, and for your input Deimos :thumbs_up
And for the humor Jaman & GW. :D [/quote]

Thranduil's speaking of grey areas has prompted to make this "short" :D , digression for clarification about “riders”.

First, whether you rent or own, consider getting replacement value [RV] coverage, not current value, which is almost always depreciated value. [DV]

So there is [small] a fire and you have to replace your living room furniture (because you fell asleep on the couch while you were smoking). You paid $6K for the leather furniture, depreciated value is now about $1000 total, so if it’s insured only for DV Allstate pays you $1000. If it’s insured for RV they pay you whatever it would cost to replace it.

Since you bought it all 5 years ago, and taking into account inflation it now costs $9K to get the same or equivalent leather furniture, Allstate pays you $9K. Of course your premium is going to be slightly more to cover RV than DV, so you have to determine what your stuff is really worth to begin with.

Re collections: my homowner’s insurance for RV is about $650 per annum, that is house, contents, everything. Let’s say I own a couple of Rolexes valued at 9K apiece. And some scum bag breaks in makes off with them and my 18kt ONE RING .

And so I file a claim for replacing Rolexes and the ONE RING . The insurance will refuse to replace the Rolexes because they should have been on a rider. Or they may agree to replace them….and then cancel your insurance. Two Rolexes are not typical contents of an average value house. The insurance co is in business to make money, and those kinds of claims would kill them if they had to pay out for stuff like that.

Using Thrandy as an example, the insurance co may say that his swords and collectibles don’t need a rider because all told it might cost $3000 to replace them, not a great amount (to them). His woodworking tools and shop equipment actually might be far more e xp ensive to replace (e.g. $20K) and so would require a rider if he wants them covered.

My sound system cost $3500 to replace when it was stolen. I didn’t have rider because they told me it didn’t need one ---for a $10K system yes, --- but a $3.5K system, no. They paid out without even blinking.

Depends on the state, even the Zip code you live in, the laws, the insurance co you deal with…lots of factors. Talk to them, ask lots of questions and read the fine print.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Return to “Weta Workshop”