Re: Weta Aragorn sword

Yup, same series.

And all shiny. Been out for 3 days now, though... I'm thinking by next week it'll be completely sold out. Figures, as they're only making 3 swords available to the public.

Call me strange, but I don't like Weta's nice little policy of giving people who purchased a Peter Lyon sword in the past dibs on future swords.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

[quote=""Jamanticus""]Call me strange, but I don't like Weta's nice little policy of giving people who purchased a Peter Lyon sword in the past dibs on future swords.[/quote]

A fair and valid opinion Jamanticus. I puchased Anduril #2 along with the scabbard and belt set. Having dished out approximately $10k for that set, I certainly appreciate Weta's consideration in ensuring those who want to try for a complete collection get a shot at it.

Also since there are 3 Strider's swords available right now, no one has been "left out" yet who wants one. But anyone wanting to join in this collection will need to act pretty fast. And by purchasing Strider's sword, they would also have dibs on that same numbered edition of the next sword in the series (either Glamdring or String... but my guess is Glamdring with Sting being last).

At great financial risk and sacrifice, I am continuing the collection with edition #2 of Strider's sword. And Weta is again offering scabbards and belts. This time around they are also offering an aged/weathered finish, which is a very tough decision.

Not sure if I'll be able to get the whole set. A lot of time and money will pass before we reach the end. I guess I've chalked this up to the fact that I drive ine xp ensive used vehicles, and have chosen to invest in this collection instead of buying a brand new car/truck (~ $30-40K). But we all have our ways of rationalizing the insane things we do. :)

See, that's the main thing that makes me feel ticked at Weta's refusal rights policy: if you REALLY want the next sword they release, the only absolutely, positively sure way to get it is to purchase a sword one earlier on in the line to reserve your edition number. There's always the chance that all 10 people will want the next sword, which really makes me nervous.

There's no point in me complaining about it, though. That's Weta's prerogative, and I shall just hope that there's at least one Glamdring available to the public when that particular sword rolls around!

Like I said when Anduril came out, I wish these swords came out a few years from now, whenever I have that kind of income to purchase these swords, these are beautiful pieces, but I just don't have that kind of extra money right now, 6 grand USD is ALOT for me right now, it would completely ravage my savings account.
Last edited by BladeCollector on Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Jamanticus""]See, that's the main thing that makes me feel ticked at Weta's refusal rights policy: if you REALLY want the next sword they release, the only absolutely, positively sure way to get it is to purchase a sword one earlier on in the line to reserve your edition number. There's always the chance that all 10 people will want the next sword, which really makes me nervous.

There's no point in me complaining about it, though. That's Weta's prerogative, and I shall just hope that there's at least one Glamdring available to the public when that particular sword rolls around![/quote]

That's partially untrue. If you are seriously interested, and prove this by fronting the money for the sword... they will make sure you get one.

They will go out of their way to make the sword for you. Pete will obviously not make the leap from 5 or 10 in the initial edition to something ridiculous like... 50 swords, that would take months, but they will make exceptions. Just show 'em the money like Cuba Gooding. ;)

Where in the hell is that winning lottery ticket when I need one??!! :'(

Curunir: your answer has brought a question to mind. If a person, at some point in the future, contacted Weta and said, "I would like a set of the swords made already and I'm willing to pay the full amount up front", would they be open to that? Thanks!

Well... as someone who is investing in this collection, if Weta goes back to Anduril for example, and starts mucking with the edition size... I won't be happy. Part of the value of any collectible is the edition size, and that needs to be a set/known amount.

I don't want to end up saying that my Anduril is 1 out of 10, or 12, or maybe 16, and we can't be sure how many even exist. That would be ridiculous after they touted these a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity limited to 10 pieces worldwide.

This would be the same type of garbage that UC pulled when they decided to release an "unlimited" Andruil after their limited edition of 5000 sold out. And I remember the anger and frustration that many on these boards voiced when that happened.

Yeah, I was one of those angry people. Companies need to stick to their word when they advertise and sell something as a limited opportunity. In the end, UC was guilty of false advertising and misleading its loyal collectors in the name of greed and due to poor planning and foresight on their part. No forgiveness here. :angry:

I hope Weta doesn't go down a similar route for the sake of those who are lucky enough to get these swords. They are unique and rare, so let's keep them that way. I wish I had the money to buy them, but I don't. Let those who do be happy with their prize.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Moonglum83""]Well... as someone who is investing in this collection, if Weta goes back to Anduril for example, and starts mucking with the edition size... I won't be happy. Part of the value of any collectible is the edition size, and that needs to be a set/known amount.
[/quote]

I realize that "sucks" from your perspective, but WETA has every right to do that if they see fit. From another perspective, it offers collectors who previously wouldn't have been able to get one another opportunity. These particular swords, in my opinion, will never decrease in value (regardless of the edition size). They are still one-off pieces. And let's be honest, you're most likely never going to sell it, are you? The money wasn't important to those who spent it - it was having a unique collectible. Which you have, and always will.

I see the main aspect of these things is that Peter Lyon is making them, and the only way to get closer to the original props is to actually own the original props. They are all commissioned works, not mass-produced things.

If he makes more of a sword than he originally planned, it doesn't intrinsically change the product itself. Yes, the rarity does go down if the edition is e xp anded, and I know that's something a collector wouldn't like, but the upside of that is one or two or a few more people get the joy and bliss of owning one of his pieces.

So, it's not ALL bad.

EDIT: Oh. Spent 20 minutes typing that response only to have Curunir say the same thing before I did, heehee

Yes, I do agree with you guys in that since these swords are individually crafted, they never lose their uniqueness, and it is nice for a couple more lucky people to get their hands on them that could not during the original run. I just have a bone to pick when a company uses words like "exclusive" and "limited" and "one-time only offer," and then go back on their word. It seems very disingenuous and misleading. If you think you might offer these swords again, then leave the door open in the minds of your customers, however slightly.

Sadly, profit and integrity rarely go together these days, if ever.

PS - Yes, I am still angry at UC for the Anduril fiasco. Five Andurils by Peter Lyon is one thing. 5000 Andurils by UC is another. That's a large enough number for many to get their hands on.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]PS - Yes, I am still angry at UC for the Anduril fiasco. Five Andurils by Peter Lyon is one thing. 5000 Andurils by UC is another. That's a large enough number for many to get their hands on.[/quote]

But not enough for everyone. I know you are angry at UC for releasing a Limited Edition Anduril without notifying anyone about plans to release a Unlimited line after. But from my point of view, I might not have gotten Anduril, had they not released the Unlimited. If you are going to blame UC... blame them for choosing one of two swords highlighted (names mentioned) in the film and failing to recognize that they would sell quickly. They also should have had the two editions to begin with.

I think what Weta is doing is great and even if the number went up to 10 from the initial 3, they would retain their value, but as was mentioned, if you are investing in one, you probably aren't eager to sell it either.
Valar morghulis

Well, I'm not quoting anyone. The interest in Pete Lyon's swords was very high, but when the prices were announced the general public went "Pfft... Yeah, right!" It's possible he/WETA may offer them again. I just don't know for sure. He still has Sting and Glamdring planned (as well as other LOTR swords)... not to mention whatever swords may appear in The Hobbit.

Sorry Thorin, but I will continue to disagree with you on this issue until my dying day. ;)

Yeah, they should have picked another sword to make limited, or maybe none at all. Point is, once they did, they should have stuck with their decision. UC released a few other limited items but never rereleased them. Why? Because except for the Shards, they never sold out quite as fast. It seems rather pointless to me to make an item 'limited' then turn around and make it unlimited. It was a slap in the face to those of us who scrambled to buy the first one. It cheapened its value as a rare collector's piece (not monetary - don't care about that,) and it just basically felt like I was lied to, and guess what? I was. Announcing two editions beforehand would have been pointless also, because why bother making two at all? Either make a limited release and stick with it, or make it unlimited to begin with. Nothing will ever change my mind on this.

Anyhow, let's move on to the Peter Lyon swords. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Anyhow, let's move on to the Peter Lyon swords. :thumbs_up [/quote]

WAIT! (With apologies to Valkrist) Don't move on just yet.
I came rather late to the game in collecting the UC LOTR Swords and Knives. I started collecting in the fall of 2005.

All my pieces are unlimited editions. They all came in blue boxes and with shipping included I think I got 8 weapons for a sum total of about $1400.
(So you can be sure there were no LE's in THAT purchase :crazy :)

Anyway, Can somone e xp lain to me the difference between the LEs and unLE's in ...what? ..In construction? In appearance? In dimensions?

And while you're at it what is the difference between the LEs and the MC weapons?

I finally got tired of being ...ummmm..uninformed (I almost said "ignorant"...but that too ;) ) so I thought I would finally ask.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

The LE Anduril had a different, prettily-decorated-with-raised-details plaque, a serial number, and gold lettering on the pommel inscription.

The Unlimited had a standard plaque, no serial number, and black lettering on the pommel inscription.

The MC line (well, Sting and Glamdring) were real swords. Meaning they had full tangs, spring steel blades, and high-quality construction, along with a distressed finish (the normal editions and limited editions just have stainless steel blades, rat-tail tangs, and aren't distressed) and things like silver-plated hilts and even sapphires in the case of Glamdring. And they were made in Spain! :D Except for Sam's sword, which just has the distressed finish, and is stainless like the normal and limited editions.
Last edited by Jamanticus on Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Thanks... Now, one more "Wait"....so what weapons are available in the MC versions?
I've only heard of Anduril, Glamdring, Sting and Sam's Sword. Any others?

Anduril was not released in the Museum Collection line.

Just Sting, Glamdring, and Sam's Sword. Although Sam's Sword is really only a Museum Collection edition in that it has the distressed finish and is a limited edition.

EDIT: And MC Sting is still floating around for sale some places. Sam's sword is also pretty easy to find since it's (relatively) newly released. Glamdring is difficult though. Was a royal pain in the butt to find when I set my mind to finding one earlier this year xP
Last edited by Jamanticus on Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks, (again) ....And now we return our loyal viewers to the discussion of Peter Lyon's Anduril.

:| :| :'(

Eeek- this thread keeps on jarring me with all these conflicting posts.

First, ack!, then ahhh!, then AAAAGH!, then Aaaaahhhh.....

Is this thread cursed or something?

I won't comment on anything else because I'm not qualified to, having only been here a very short while.

Obviously, and with good reason, this is a deeply important and personal subject for people like Ed and Moonglum, who have invested a great deal of time, money, and personal sacrifice to obtain this holy grail of collector's items.

Opinions will differ, as they always do, and it's understandable that tempers are going to flare when your position on something you feel so strongly about gets publicly challenged.

My personal (already e xp ressed) views on the topic notwithstanding, I ask of all parties to remember there are two sides to every coin, to continue civil discussion, and above all, to maintain a cool head.

Thanks.
This Space for Rent

I've never read any figures regarding the number of non-LE Anduril swords sold to-date but I do know this: The LE has a display that heightens the look and therefore the appeal of the piece. Placed beside the non-LE, there is no comparison as to which is the superior piece (imo of course) to display. Even today, if an LE Anduril shows up on ebay, it fetches a VERY good price (even with the drop in everything on the Bay). Every single person I know who owns a non-LE wants an LE...badly. So if there is a perception that UC's move cheapened the LE, how is it supposed to have cheapened it - instead of getting $1200 for it, a seller will now only get $1000? There was never any guarantee that a seller could get any specific amount.

Offering the non-LE was a business decision that UC made, based on demand. That, my friends, is a major part of what running a business is. They opened their doors to make a profit and to endure; the secondary market is not their customer and is therefore not a major concern.

If a company like UC produces an item with what we perceive to be a low ES, they are doing so based on how many units they e xp ect to sell, not to give it a higher secondary market value; they really couldn't care less because, as stated above, that market is not their customer.

If a percentage of the people buying these items are doing so with the e xp ress purpose of turning a large profit later on, then they might want to reconsider. Collectibles are one of the least stable avenues for investment. If they bought it because they get joy out of thinking that "I have something that a lot of other people want and can't have" well.....I'm not gonna go there (I only have a Bachelor's in Psychology)! :D

There are only, only 5000 of the LE Anduril in existence (actually less after allowing for damaged pieces). If you have one, be happy, enjoy life, you're a fortunate individual to have it. :thumbs_up

Now we all join hands and sing, "Kum ba ya". ;)

I think you missed the part where I said my opposition to UC's decision had *nothing* to do with monetary value, but everything to do with collector value and the satisfaction of knowing you were lucky enough to get something that is rare and highly sought after. To me, that enhances the pleasure of collecting something, not whether or not I can turn a profit on it later down the road.

If that's a psych issue, then millions of people worldwide must suffer from the same affliction. I was never under the illusion that UC is anything but a business, and money drives business like you said. It is simply a matter of my personal opinion that their decision stunk and was a major letdown for 5000 individuals.

S'all I'm sayin'. ;)
This Space for Rent

Here's what I think:

Weta shouldn't make more, and I don't believe they would. There's a reason something is limited and there's a reason people enjoy having something rare that not many people have. And that's quite simply because not many people have it. It's selfish either way but we're all individuals who care about our own wants so there's nothing wrong with that. What is wrong, however, is to whine about a company for not making more when you probably (and apparently) never had any intention of buying one in the first place. It's an excuse. It's a reason to cry and blame someone. "Why can't they make them available for ME?!" --- they are. One is right now. And had you acted sooner, more would be. Everyone has an equal advantage as far as the business goes. They won't discriminate if you're serious and pay for it. Whether you can afford it at the time or not, guess what - that's you, not them. They can't account for every single person's financial status in a given time to make sure a thousand people are well-prepared for a run of ten swords (doesn't that sound dumb?). That's life. Either you're ready or you're not. If so, there should be something special about that. Raping the people who have been serious about buying a sword (not sitting there wishing they had it and blaming others because they won't buy it) by releasing more is not the right thing to do. These 10 owners of Anduril and soon-to-be 10 owners of Aragorn's ranger sword are getting what they want because they deserve it. You may want one. And you may want one. And the guy over there certainly wants one. But two wrongs don't make a right. How is that fair to those who clearly beat you, fair & square, in the first place? It's like challenging someone to a game of bowling and when they beat you, you keep asking for a rematch. Eventually you'll win, right? Okay, so what? It's meaningless now. Have the good grace to lose and say "okay, I didn't get one because I didn't have the money/will to act upon it, not because the company is biased".

So to those out there wanting them to make more, or make them available to everyone, why don't you put the effort in and do your part? They're not going to hand them out for free. So come up with the money or quit complaining and take it all in stride(r). Be a good sport. You have no one to blame.
Last edited by Sedhal on Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
-_-

Weta has no right making more then 10 of the "Master Swordsmith Collection" Andurils. That was the addition size advertised, and that is what the people bought. Altering the addition size after the fact, no matter how much time "Pete" has, is wrong. If they want to make the upcoming additions (Glamdring, Sting) unlimited, or #/20+, then they need to state that when the swords are being sold. Remember though, the info we are speaking about here came from a forum member, not Weta.
Head of the Department of Evil, Canadian Division.

"All that Longbottom gave me the munchies."

[quote=""Sedhal""]What is wrong, however, is to whine about a company for not making more when you probably (and apparently) never had any intention of buying one in the first place. [/quote]
Who are you directing that statement at?

That was directed generally at those complaining about a company that's simply holding to its promise for the customers willing to do business with them. It's directed at those who blame others for their own problems.

So it depends. Do you fit that profile?
-_-

Wow. Haven't been on a thread with this much drama since last week.

To sum up, I hope that when Weta does their run of Glamdrings, there will be a spot (or spots) open, and that I'll be able to get one of those spots.

That's all I wanted to e xp ress.

EDIT: And where did you read in this thread that the people complaining are the people who don't intend to buy anyway? When I say I hope to get Glamdring, I mean I plan on purchasing it if/when it's available.
Last edited by Jamanticus on Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Drama? :huh: Let me try again.

We were originally referring to the Weta Aragorn sword made by Peter Lyon, correct? You had thrown the complaint out that Weta doesn't offer their swords to people unless they've bought from them in the past. What came first, the chicken or the egg? How do you think they get loyal customers? In truth, anyone can obtain one of their blades as long as they PAY for them, on a first-come-first-serve basis. There were ten Aragorn swords offered. People jumped on that offer. You were not one of them. And it's not like you never had the chance. Look. There's still one left, correct? You still have the chance if you were serious about buying it. So say they do sell out and release ten more. Would you then be serious about buying one? Maybe 20 more? 30? Look at it from their perspective. Apart from lying to their loyal customers, they will be producing additional blades demanded by those unwilling to buy into the first run in the first place. You complain about Weta not offering their swords to everyone, yet the only thing stopping you is yourself. It's right there. If you don't have the money, that's not their fault. Nine people apparently did. That's the advantage and that's the reward.

So to answer your question, I read between the lines. Although you didn't outright say it, your actions (or lack therof) prove (and continue to prove) you had/have no intention of buying a Ranger sword. Limited to 10? 20? 30? What difference does it make if you're not going to get it? If you don't have the money you don't have the money. But acknowledge that. Don't make excuses and blame the people offering you the product to begin with. And this was never meant as a personal attack on you. Just an argument aimed at this generalized attitude. So I'd apologize, but you seem to have wanted the attention apparently.

To sum up, you will be able to get one of those spots until others fill them (just like before). Why don't you send them an email or give them a call? Waiting for the online posting isn't proactive and it's rather foolish if you e xp ect to be one of the first ten -- especially now that they're well into the line and the word is spreading.

Based on your previous comments I'm just not sure what you e xp ect the company to do, deny previous customers' orders? If they've dealt with Weta before they must have some contact with them (in Ed's case actually meeting them in person) and therefor would potentially be the first to get some inside knowledge on the next products. And if they have the money, it wouldn't be right of Weta to say "oh, sorry, you just spent $6k on a sword and flew here to personally meet us... take a hike".
-_-

I just went to WETA's site and they hate 1 more Ranger sword left, they originally had 3 when I went the other day when the thread was started.

Also it is part of the deal in writing that each buyer of a sword has first refusal rights to the next sword in the series, meaning that if you bought Anduril, you have the option of getting the next sword, and if you say you don't want it, then that sword is now offered to the public.

Also, if you, if I am reading it correctly, you are offered the same number... so if you got Anduril #7, you will be offered Ranger #7, etc.

This is from WETA's site

"Collecting matching numbers
The first person to secure an edition number by paying a deposit also earns the right to first refusal on the matching edition number on subsequent swords in The Master Swordsmith's Collection."

Like I've previously said, I wish I could have afforded an Anduril and now this Ranger sword, but thats not going to happen. So for now, and probably forever, I am going to have to settle for my UC versions.

Even if they would have made the edition size 100, or even 1000 peices, wouldn't have taken away from the fact that I could not have afforded them. Not too mention, they would have probably still sold out anyway before I could have scrounged enough money to get one.

So congrats to all that got these, chalk me up in to envious column

[quote=""Sedhal""]Drama? :huh: Let me try again.

We were originally referring to the Weta Aragorn sword made by Peter Lyon, correct? You had thrown the complaint out that Weta doesn't offer their swords to people unless they've bought from them in the past. What came first, the chicken or the egg? How do you think they get loyal customers? In truth, anyone can obtain one of their blades as long as they PAY for them, on a first-come-first-serve basis. There were ten Aragorn swords offered. People jumped on that offer. You were not one of them. And it's not like you never had the chance. Look. There's still one left, correct? You still have the chance if you were serious about buying it. So say they do sell out and release ten more. Would you then be serious about buying one? Maybe 20 more? 30? Look at it from their perspective. Apart from lying to their loyal customers, they will be producing additional blades demanded by those unwilling to buy into the first run in the first place. You complain about Weta not offering their swords to everyone, yet the only thing stopping you is yourself. It's right there. If you don't have the money, that's not their fault. Nine people apparently did. That's the advantage and that's the reward.

So to answer your question, I read between the lines. Although you didn't outright say it, your actions (or lack therof) prove (and continue to prove) you had/have no intention of buying a Ranger sword. Limited to 10? 20? 30? What difference does it make if you're not going to get it? If you don't have the money you don't have the money. But acknowledge that. Don't make excuses and blame the people offering you the product to begin with. And this was never meant as a personal attack on you. Just an argument aimed at this generalized attitude. So I'd apologize, but you seem to have wanted the attention apparently.

To sum up, you will be able to get one of those spots until others fill them (just like before). Why don't you send them an email or give them a call? Waiting for the online posting isn't proactive and it's rather foolish if you e xp ect to be one of the first ten -- especially now that they're well into the line and the word is spreading.

Based on your previous comments I'm just not sure what you e xp ect the company to do, deny previous customers' orders? If they've dealt with Weta before they must have some contact with them (in Ed's case actually meeting them in person) and therefor would potentially be the first to get some inside knowledge on the next products. And if they have the money, it wouldn't be right of Weta to say "oh, sorry, you just spent $6k on a sword and flew here to personally meet us... take a hike".[/quote]

You misunderstand what I say and have said.

There were never 10 Strider swords offered. 10 made, but only 3 offered to the public, and this was all not originally about Strider's sword, but about the refusal rights policy.

Firstly, I am not interested in, nor will I be interested in purchasing Strider's sword. I am not whining about not being able to get one. If I wanted one, I know for a fact I could have just asked for one of the 3 available to the public back on the 15th. Or I could ask for that last sword that's available. But I'm not interested in it.

I never said that Weta only offers swords to people who have purchased them previously. What Weta does is offer the next sword in the line to these previous buyers before showing the swords to the public. Which is why there were 3 out of the 10 Strider swords available on the 15th when they put the swords up for sale, since all of the people who purchased Anduril were offered the Strider swords before the line was made public, and 7 decided to continue their collection with Strider's sword.

That's why I commented in this thread. It had nothing to do with my purchasing or not being able to purchase one of the Strider swords, but with the fact that all but 3 of them were spoken for from the get-go, leading me to think that when Weta makes Glamdring, there is a chance that all 10 of those people might want to purchase the sword, leaving none at all available to the public.

That's the sword I am interested in, and the sword I plan on buying. Glamdring. That is why I stated I don't like the policy of previous buyers getting offered the swords before the public knows of them, because there's a chance that the entire edition might be claimed by previous buyers before the edition is even announced. My opinion, not liking that policy. Even my second post in the thread was me saying that it's Weta's prerogative to have the refusal rights policy even if I didn't like it.

So, again: I hope that there's at least one of the 10 collectors who decides not to purchase Glamdring when they are offered it, because then there will be at least one available to the public, meaning I can purchase the thing. That is all I can hope for, I accept that even though it makes me uncomfortable, and I like buttered toast.

Are we now free of misunderstandings between one another, Sedhal? I don't want to come into a new forum having arguments galore, especially ones that just leave everybody feeling cross at the end.
Last edited by Jamanticus on Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:27 pm, edited 12 times in total.

[quote=""BladeCollector""]
Even if they would have made the edition size 100, or even 1000 peices, wouldn't have taken away from the fact that I could not have afforded them. Not too mention, they would have probably still sold out anyway before I could have scrounged enough money to get one.

So congrats to all that got these, chalk me up in to envious column[/quote]

Exactly, that's the right attitude to have. We're in the same boat.

[quote=""Jamanticus""]
Are we now free of misunderstandings between one another, Sedhal? [/quote]

Doesn't seem so, but it doesn't entirely matter either. Good luck on Glamdring.
Last edited by Sedhal on Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-_-

[quote=""Sedhal""] Good luck on Glamdring.[/quote]

It's not that I don't love all the rest of the sword designs in Lord of the Rings, it's just that if I ever wanted the best possible version of one of them, I'd go with that one :thumbs_up

I have to admit that if I was going to spend this kind of money I'd be hoping to get Glamdring as well. It is the best of the line IMO, in style and design.
So Jaman; I hope you get yours.
The refusal right policy makes sense on the loyal customer bases, yes, to those who couldn't get on that train it's unfortunate, but I think it's as fair as they can do.
Those who are on that train have a 30-40K investment to make over the next couple of years (maybe less) that's a stretch for most people to afford, so having some of these previous buyers bow out is probably on the "Likely" side.
I recommend you get your name in there e xp ressing your desire to get your Glamdring Jaman (with the money in hand).
Contacting Weta and saying, "I've got 10K to send as soon as you say it's mine", might get you on the train.

Watching what ed209 went through to get his Anduril was equal to a roller coaster ride. Thrills and spills, ups and downs, failures and ultimately Triumph! He WORKED, boy did he work for that sword. No offense to others here but I consider ed to be the most serious collector in here. He literally went to the ends of the earth to get it; that's passion, pure passion.
Good luck.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Hope this helps clarify the open question around edition size, and if Weta will be faithful to the stated ES on the Master Swordsmith's Collection...

Received confirmation from Weta that they will not be creating any additional swords beyond the stated edition size in the Master Swordsmith's Collection. Here is the exact wording I received from my excellent contact at Weta:

"Seems like someone is telling stories. This is not true.

The Anduril was - and is - strictly limited to a numbered edition of #01 to #10. One Artist Proof was accessioned by the Royal Armouries in Leeds, UK (I *believe* they are a world leader in medieval swords and Anduril is the only fictional sword they have on display).

Rest assured, there are no more in existence, and nor will there be. We are NOT making or selling any more Anduril.

And yes, you can quote me on this :o )"

So we now know for certain that Weta will not break from the stated edition size, which means there are only 10 of Anduril (11 when you count the artists proof on display at the Royal Armouries in Leeds), and there will only be 10 of Strider's Sword since that edition size has also been clearly stated now. I believe 1 sword is still available of those 10.

For those hoping to purchase either Glamdring or Sting, but not wanting to invest in Strider's Sword...

I did not ask specifically if the edition size for those swords is also still planned to be 10. I have wondered if Weta might consider increasing the edition size on one or both of those swords due to popular demand. If there is significant interest in those swords from indviduals who are not currently purchasing Strdier's Sword, I recommend communicating that interest directly to Weta. There could be a chance at lobbying them to increase the edition size for the remaining swords. But I will leave that effort to those who may be seriously interested in securing Glamdring or Sting.

If not, there is always the chance that a few of the individuals purchasing Strider's Sword will not be able to continue the collection.

A few questions to stir some discussion around Strider's Sword, and the continuation of this line...

I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on getting Strider's sword with the standard Peter Lyon satin finish, or if you would go for the aged/weathered finish that is true to what is seen in the films?

From a continuity perspective for displaying it with Anduril, I have been leaning toward the standard satin finish. But Anduril was essentially a "new" sword in the films, having been newly reforged by the elves. So the satin finish is already screen accurate in that case. On the other hand, Strider's ranger sword was pretty heavily weathered, along with the scabbard, belt and scabbard knife. Seems a pitty to bang up Peter's handywork, but from what I understand, it would be Peter himself applying the aging to the sword.

Also, what about Glamdring or Sting? Should they be kept pristine, or is it better to let Weta rough them up a little?

Very interested in what others think.

Moonglum, thank you very much for clearing up the matter regarding WETA and the contentious issue of the edition size of these swords. I don't believe any one here will have reason to question the veracity of your claim as revealed by your source, so hopefully we can lay this matter to rest, much to the satisfaction of not only myself but also that of our esteemed forum members.

Regarding your question on the Strider Sword finish, I would personally prefer the sword to look as close to the prop as possible for that extra degree of faithfulness. Thus, I would choose the weathered finish. Glamdring and Sting are a little harder to decide on. They are such beautiful swords (especially Glamdring) that the natural instinct is to have them look as new and pristine as possible. However, in the history of Middle-earth, these two blades had been spilling orc blood since the First Age of the Sun. They were anything but new, and perhaps the finish should reflect some of this history? I don't know - very tough decision on these two.
Last edited by Valkrist on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Space for Rent

Hmm, satin or weathered...

I'd say one reason to stick with satin finish for Strider's sword would be for it to look nicely up-to-snuff compared to Anduril if you're displaying them near each other.

I mean, yes, Anduril is the sword of kings and very bright, and Strider's Ranger sword is meant to look very used since he sleeps in muddy ditches and regularly hacks at things with it....BUT... putting a weathered Strider sword next to a pristine Anduril would I think take away from the good looks of Strider's sword.

Glamdring and Sting... I think there's almost even more reason to have those swords look pristine. They're both very exotic blades, being of Elvish make, and being able to see the light reflecting off of all their angles and such would be something great.

And I'll pop off an e-mail to Weta asking about their Glamdring for good measure. You're right, Moonglum- better to ask questions and the like now before everyone's in a mad rush to get one of those things :D

EDIT: And I'd like to echo Valkrist in thanking you, Ed, and you, Moonglum, for clearing things up in this muddy thread.

EDIT EDIT!: And upon thinking of prop weathering again... I love having distressed props, but all the distressed props I have are mostly distressed so that they can stand up to closer scrutiny. When it's a sword made by Peter Lyon, just like any piece of fine art, it will be able to stand up to scrutiny of any level, regardless of its amount of weathering.
Last edited by Jamanticus on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Weta Workshop”