Weta's "The One Ring"...hardly affordable.

I recieved an email from Weta today with some new products. For anyone with $2,455 USD lying around, you can get a true One Ring to rule them all created by the original artists from the movies. 18k gold, sterling silver chain, and a wooden box.

See for your self:

http://www.wetanz.com/the-one-ring

Too rich for my blood, but another truely ultimate collectible!
Head of the Department of Evil, Canadian Division.

"All that Longbottom gave me the munchies."

Re: Weta's "The One Ring"...hardly affordable.

For that price, it better have a chunk of Sauron's soul in it!

A few years ago, a friend gave me a One Ring replica as a gift. It was gold alloyed with, or overlaid on, some other metal, and after a couple of years, it tarnished. So hopefully for anyone who buys one of these e xp ensive ones, 18 carat is pure enough to prevent tarnishing.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

[quote=""Olorin""]... A few years ago, a friend gave me a One Ring replica as a gift. It was gold alloyed with, or overlaid on, some other metal, and after a couple of years, it tarnished. So hopefully for anyone who buys one of these e xp ensive ones, 18 carat is pure enough to prevent tarnishing.[/quote]

Speaking off the cuff here, and any forum member metallurgists feel free to correct me (Thrandy?) but I believe that 24kt (pure) of course, but then 18, 14 and 10 kt gold all should be tarnish proof. The lower the number the lesser amount of gold and the more of some other metal, (nickel, I think in 10kt) , but I couldn't tell you the proportions.
But I understood that none of those should tarnish.

What you may have had Olorin, was a sterling silver ring overlaid with 14kt, or maybe 10kt gold, called vermeil. At least that is one type of gold plating.

You see a lot of it now [vermeil] being sold in place of gold jewely, not deceptively, but just for what it is, because with gold so high many people can no longer afford 14kt gold jewelry.

But you are quite right--the piece eventually tarnishes, even if you never wear it, because the plating is so thin, it just wears away with minimal handling. And then it just looks cheap. :P

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Rough666""]... you can get a true One Ring to rule them all created by the original artists from the movies. [/quote]

Quite a while back they also accepted commissions for the three elven rings , which they also designed for the movies, ---didn't check to see if that is still true.
But it wouldn't matter as I couldn't afford it then and cannot afford it now. :(

But I would love to have a Jensen "Vilya".... and happy coincidence, sapphire is my birthstone anyway.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

I don't see any info about what level of purity this weta ring is. At that price it must be at least 18k, but $400 more for inscription? Like the $2400 isn't high enough?

I'd say the 18k solid gold ring offered by Noble was a far better deal.
I'm satisfied with my $125 SS gold layered, thanks.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Valkrist""]I'm surprised he can still afford a phone, what with being a jobless spirit and all. Maybe Dark Lords get a good pension after being forcefully retired? :D [/quote]

Well, I just read an article on MSN about 3 people who get by on $18K a year or less. They all had housing and food e xp enses, which Sauron wouldn't have. Nor would he have transportation e xp enses. A spirit can go anywhere. So all he really needs is to be able to scrape together a little income and he can have a phone (probably a TracPhone) to communicate with his minions. I wonder if he's on Facebook? Or Twitter?
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Return to “Weta Workshop”