Re: Master Swordsmith Collection - Glamdring!!!

So how are the MSSC owners coming along with their prized possession?

One or two people have sold theirs off over the last few years. The owner of Glamdring No.11 sold his off a couple of years ago.

And I also heard through the grapevine that there was a glamdring owner in California who had some bad rust problems. Hopefully it isn't too bad.

I've had glamdring for a few years now and I'm enjoying it as much as I did on day one. It's such a crazy expensive purchase, but absolutely no regrets. Well..ok maybe my only regret is I should have chosen No.4 instead of No.9!!

Anyway, I sincerely hope everyone has been able to enjoy their MSSC swords in good health!!

Such a pity that this line seems to have come to an end now after Orcrist.

Aragorn wrote:So how are the MSSC owners coming along with their prized possession?

One or two people have sold theirs off over the last few years. The owner of Glamdring No.11 sold his off a couple of years ago.

And I also heard through the grapevine that there was a glamdring owner in California who had some bad rust problems. Hopefully it isn't too bad.

I've had glamdring for a few years now and I'm enjoying it as much as I did on day one. It's such a crazy expensive purchase, but absolutely no regrets. Well..ok maybe my only regret is I should have chosen No.4 instead of No.9!!

Anyway, I sincerely hope everyone has been able to enjoy their MSSC swords in good health!!

The timing of this question is very coincidental for me. I just sold my MSSC Striders sword with scabbard and belt set less than a month ago. For now, I am still clinging to my MSSC Anduril with scabbard and belt, but it is probably just a matter of time before I will make the hard decision to part with it too. I love these swords, but with 3 kiddos now and my 40th birthday just 3 months away, the priorities have definitely required some adjusting. :)

Aragorn wrote:So how are the MSSC owners coming along with their prized possession?

Hey Aragorn!

It's been a long time! That person in California you are referring to was actually me! Haha. Turns out the spots of rust weren't nearly as bad as I had feared. Thanks to a little bit of autosol, elbow grease, (and I assume the inherent magical properties of this blade of the first age) the black spots of rust came right off like a finger print on an iPhone screen! My Glamdring remains in pristine condition though I still need to contruct a worthy case to display it in. Hope all is well with you guys. :)

All the best,
Johnathan F.
I

Moonglum83 wrote:

The timing of this question is very coincidental for me. I just sold my MSSC Striders sword with scabbard and belt set less than a month ago. For now, I am still clinging to my MSSC Anduril with scabbard and belt, but it is probably just a matter of time before I will make the hard decision to part with it too. I love these swords, but with 3 kiddos now and my 40th birthday just 3 months away, the priorities have definitely required some adjusting. :)
Hi Moonglum :big_wave:

Any idea on how much would you ask for it ?
Do you have the Glamdring MSSC also in your sword collection ?

Moonglum83 wrote: The timing of this question is very coincidental for me. I just sold my MSSC Striders sword with scabbard and belt set less than a month ago. For now, I am still clinging to my MSSC Anduril with scabbard and belt, but it is probably just a matter of time before I will make the hard decision to part with it too. I love these swords, but with 3 kiddos now and my 40th birthday just 3 months away, the priorities have definitely required some adjusting. :)
Good to hear that the sale was a choice instead of a forced sale. But I'm sure a good offer would make your decision less hard. :laugh:

For me personally, I don't think I will be selling Glamdring as it took quite a bit of effort & stress just to import it into Australia...bureaucratic red tape and all. It's just so difficult to import any form of weapons into Australia. And the value of the item made it even more stressful.

Funny thing is I've ended up selling off quite a bit of my collection over the years. Now I just own two swords.
Conan wrote:.
Hey Aragorn!

It's been a long time! That person in California you are referring to was actually me! Haha. Turns out the spots of rust weren't nearly as bad as I had feared. Thanks to a little bit of autosol, elbow grease, (and I assume the inherent magical properties of this blade of the first age) the black spots of rust came right off like a finger print on an iPhone screen! My Glamdring remains in pristine condition though I still need to contruct a worthy case to display it in. Hope all is well with you guys. :)

All the best,
Johnathan F.
I
Hey Johnathan. Glad to hear your blade is ok. :thumbs_up
I bought a sword case from online retailer that sells ready made sword cases for around $200. I ended up getting one a year ago. Not as fancy as custom made but it's an easy solution.

Anyone in the know about the value of weta's glamdring on the secondary market? im thinking on selling mine and have no idea if its worth more or less then the original weta price. :shock:
Arise! Arise, riders of Théoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered - a sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride to ruin, and the world's ending! Forth Éorlingas!"

One thing is for certain IMO, DO NOT sell it for LESS than you paid!
When an item of this caliber sells for less, it literally devalues everyone else's swords in this genre.

It is my understanding that the MSSC has been discontinued. This would increase value of all swords in the collection.
If it were mine, I would put it up on ebay auction with the starting price being every penny you invested, and then give it a BUY IT NOW of the required 30% increase.
That would be my bare minimum in dealing with this.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Thanks for the feedback guys. :coolsmile The edition number of mine is #1 of the 15 and I ordered the scabbard and belt with it. I feel that the price I payed with import taxes into the UK makes this pretty much too pricey for any like minded collector out there. Weta had orcrist and scabbard/belt for 20.000 euros mark so going by that logic glamdring should be like 30,000 euros. I fear finding a buyer willing to pay for such an expensive piece is unlikely!

Any more feedback is always welcome. Thanks again guys :cheers:
Arise! Arise, riders of Théoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered - a sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride to ruin, and the world's ending! Forth Éorlingas!"

Night Rider wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys. :coolsmile The edition number of mine is #1 of the 15 and I ordered the scabbard and belt with it. I feel that the price I payed with import taxes into the UK makes this pretty much too pricey for any like minded collector out there. Weta had orcrist and scabbard/belt for 20.000 euros mark so going by that logic glamdring should be like 30,000 euros. I fear finding a buyer willing to pay for such an expensive piece is unlikely!

Oh my..... THIRTY.THOUSAND. EUROS .....oh my... :O
(even 20000 is cause for pause)

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Deimos wrote:
Night Rider wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys. :coolsmile The edition number of mine is #1 of the 15 and I ordered the scabbard and belt with it. I feel that the price I payed with import taxes into the UK makes this pretty much too pricey for any like minded collector out there. Weta had orcrist and scabbard/belt for 20.000 euros mark so going by that logic glamdring should be like 30,000 euros. I fear finding a buyer willing to pay for such an expensive piece is unlikely!

Oh my..... THIRTY.THOUSAND. EUROS .....oh my... :O
(even 20000 is cause for pause)
YEAH WELL, you cant buy ORCRIST from weta for less then 25.000 euros if my memory serves me right. They have since hidden the price so they might have lowered the price? lol.

TBH 20,000 would do me. I don't want to be greedy lol :coolsmile and don't forget there are only a handful Glamdrings which have the scabbard and belt.

Not criticizing your asking price at all (whatever it is).
It's just that when the LOTR collectible prices move into the 5 figure range it always gets my attention.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Deimos wrote:Not criticizing your asking price at all (whatever it is).
It's just that when the LOTR collectible prices move into the 5 figure range it always gets my attention.
HAHA! I know you aren't having a go at me lol but I must tell you when I paid for glam,scab and belt it was already 5 figures.
Scabbard was pretty much same price as the sword.

Anyone want to see some pics?

ed209 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:49 pm [quote=""Fingolfin""]Funny...I was just telling a friend earlier that whoever had the passion and the funds to jump on the first Anduril when it was released probably has all the #1s, and apparently I was right!
To a certain degree, yes. But keep in mind that Moongloom83 also went for
scabbards and belts. He has those first two swords with all accessories, and
for that price, he could've had 4 "naked" swords already. #01 Andúril is
certainly without it's clothing (I don't know about the other two orders).

I also had to choose between Andúril + scabbard versus Andúril + Strider's
sword. I went for a 100% Andúril.

And I'm not taking away from Night Rider's passion or anything -- his
collection is beyond real at this point in time already -- I'm just saying that
perfection calls for even more funds. To sweep all three swords dressed (two
scabbards for Glamdring), it would cost you over $40.000.

Funny thing is, someone from #05 to #10 maybe owns THAT.

Passion and funds. :thumbs_up
[/quote]

Ed do you still have Anduril?

Moonglum83 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:04 pm [quote=""ed209 (temp_account)""]I see Moongloom83 is out this time.

Indeed I am out for Glamdring. The pommel on my Strider's sword was on so lopsided that I had to send it all the way back to NZ for repairs. Peter Lyon sent a nice apology letter with the "fixed" sword, but for this kind of money, a QC miss that bad is just unacceptable. I feared with the increased edition size to 15, and added complexity of the Glamdring pommel, that things would come out a bit asymmetrical and wonky again.

[/quote]

@Moonglum83, when you say the pommel was lopsided, did Peter actually have to take the sword apart and reset the pommel or did he just have to grind it to proper shape to make it more symmetrical, or both of those things?

I don't believe the pommels needed any reshaping, but Mr. Lyon had to remove and reset them to be straight and level.

Both of my Weta Master Swordsmith swords had pommels that were not set straight. Maybe I was just really unlucky. Strider's was very noticeable and I sent it back for correction almost right away. For Anduril it was a much more subtle tilt, but it was off too, leaning slightly to one side. It was several years later when I finally sent Anduril back, but Mr. Lyon fixed it at no charge as well. I took pictures of both sides and when you toggled between the pictures you would see it flipping back and forth. I'm sure I still have those pictures on an external drive here somewhere.

While those two swords were the most amazing swords I've ever seen in person, it was a terrible oversight to ship them with assembly problems like that. It really did sour me on the collection, not to mention the wild cost when you added on scabbards and belts.

In both cases after the pommels were reset I ended up selling the swords, so I don't own either of them anymore. But wherever they are in the world now, at least the pommels are straight!

Moonglum83 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:56 am I don't believe the pommels needed any reshaping, but Mr. Lyon had to remove and reset them to be straight and level.

Both of my Weta Master Swordsmith swords had pommels that were not set straight. Maybe I was just really unlucky. Strider's was very noticeable and I sent it back for correction almost right away. For Anduril it was a much more subtle tilt, but it was off too, leaning slightly to one side. It was several years later when I finally sent Anduril back, but Mr. Lyon fixed it at no charge as well. I took pictures of both sides and when you toggled between the pictures you would see it flipping back and forth. I'm sure I still have those pictures on an external drive here somewhere.

While those two swords were the most amazing swords I've ever seen in person, it was a terrible oversight to ship them with assembly problems like that. It really did sour me on the collection, not to mention the wild cost when you added on scabbards and belts.

In both cases after the pommels were reset I ended up selling the swords, so I don't own either of them anymore. But wherever they are in the world now, at least the pommels are straight!
Lol that they are! Thank you for that information Moonglum. It’s interesting because even as nice as these swords are none of them are flawless with them being handmade. Those type of quality issues though aren’t the type of flaws you would expect though, nor should you. I don’t think that any of these swords are without very minor issues but the pommels being offset are a major issue, as you said. What’s has me curious is what did Peter do exactly because Strider’s sword is peened so Peter would have had to grind the peen off, then file the pommel a bit to set it again properly or remake the pommel potentially, depends on damage when removing the pommel. And in turn when he would re-peen the pommel the sword may be slightly shorter though only someone with a extremely good eye for these things and perhaps using the same exact sword to see them side by side would notice the difference in length.

Now with Anduril, that pommel is epoxy glued and forced on using friction so what did Peter do with that one? Depending on how it was removed there could have been extensive rework done to the sword. Did you get any insight into the repair process that Peter performed? Other than the resetting of the pommels I mean.

Return to “Weta Workshop”