Re: Master Swordsmith Collection - Glamdring!!!

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Funny...I was just telling a friend earlier that whoever had the passion and the funds to jump on the first Anduril when it was released probably has all the #1s, and apparently I was right![/quote]

To a certain degree, yes. But keep in mind that Moongloom83 also went for
scabbards and belts. He has those first two swords with all accessories, and
for that price, he could've had 4 "naked" swords already. #01 Andúril is
certainly without it's clothing (I don't know about the other two orders).

I also had to choose between Andúril + scabbard versus Andúril + Strider's
sword. I went for a 100% Andúril.

And I'm not taking away from Night Rider's passion or anything -- his
collection is beyond real at this point in time already -- I'm just saying that
perfection calls for even more funds. To sweep all three swords dressed (two
scabbards for Glamdring), it would cost you over $40.000.

Funny thing is, someone from #05 to #10 maybe owns THAT.

Passion and funds. :thumbs_up

[quote=""ed209 (temp_account)""]I see Moongloom83 is out this time.[/quote]

Indeed I am out for Glamdring. The pommel on my Strider's sword was on so lopsided that I had to send it all the way back to NZ for repairs. Peter Lyon sent a nice apology letter with the "fixed" sword, but for this kind of money, a QC miss that bad is just unacceptable. I feared with the increased edition size to 15, and added complexity of the Glamdring pommel, that things would come out a bit asymmetrical and wonky again.

Besides, the investment was getting beyond ridiculous after purchasing Anduril with scabbard/belt and Strider's sword with scabbard/belt. I am very happy to have the complete "Aragorn collection", and the UC Museum editions of Glamdring and Sting are still quite nice, even if they will never be Peter Lyon originals.

Best of luck to anyone who goes for Glammy. I'm sure it will turn out great, and hopefully after the problems they had with my Strider's sword they will be more careful on these next releases.

[quote=""Moonglum83""]Indeed I am out for Glamdring. The pommel on my Strider's sword was on so lopsided that I had to send it all the way back to NZ for repairs. [/quote]

Such a statement has the echo of other lopsided LE editions & MC editions, it makes me wonder if they all have you buying more polished versions of the same for exorbitant sums.

Couldn't help but notice the flawed leather on the Glamdring grip. I'm surprised they published that photo. :|
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]Such a statement has the echo of other lopsided LE editions & MC editions, it makes me wonder if they all have you buying more polished versions of the same for exorbitant sums.[/quote]

No, if that were true, I don't think anyone with a brain would buy Peter Lyon's swords- even the MC editions are mass-produced things made of (silver-plated) inferior materials. The Sting and Glamdring MCs are about equal in quality with swords from mediocre manufacturers like Windlass Steelcrafts from India. Peter Lyon's swords are without question of exceptionally higher quality than any production-made sword.

Not that there haven't been flaws in Peter Lyon's versions. Speaking of which, the runes in Glamdring's hilt look sloppy. Some of those Cirth characters for "g" are so badly deformed they are barely legible.

I wonder if it'd be possible to ask for the runes to be written as neatly as possible... And maybe a bit thinner...

EDIT: And great to hear from you two again, Moonglum and Ed_209! Have any pics of your Strider sword's weathering, Moonglum?
Last edited by Jamanticus on Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

[quote=""Thranduil""]Couldn't help but notice the flawed leather on the Glamdring grip. I'm surprised they published that photo. :| [/quote]

Yup. I don't want to start bashing these swords or anything, but I also noticed the flawed leather in that first pic. And the third pic over of the pommel doesn't look quite right to me either. I don't know if I'm just seeing things because of the problems with my Strider pommel, but the right side of that Glammy pommel looks to be ground higher than the left side. I even double checked it in that last pic of the full sword, and it still looks a little off to my eye. I'm sure it is very hard to make it perfect, and maybe it is just the lighting or something. Still, it makes me nervous.

Yes, well I guess my point was related to the price. At that price e xp ecting it to be as close to perfection isn't demanding too much.

I stated elsewhere that Peter Lyon isn't exactly making top dollar on these, even if he can bang one out in 30 hours or so.

I too noticed the runes being a bit irregular.

But hey, it is what it is and no doubt they are the most valuable pieces in the LOTR world of collecting. And they are beautifully ground blades.

Does it have genuine sapphire's (hope so). :thumbs_up
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Concerning the sapphires;
They look like the real deal because of the way they're cut.
They are what would be considered a low grade (light blue), but that too is to be e xp ected as a AAA grade would cost around 1K and that would just drive up the price.

I plan on adding real sapphires to my Glamdring so I already studied the grades and prices. The grades are determined by clarity and how deep (dark) the blue is. Size also plays a role in cost. The stones used in Glamdring that I was considering were at the bottom of the AAA grade and were about $350 each.

The jeweler had two that were $1200 ($600 each) awesome but way out of my price range.

For those who may have caught a look at Prince Williams engagement ring to his bride to be; now there's a good look at AAA dark blue. :thumbs_up

Thrandy, if you want to save yourself one or two bills, check around for a gem dealer. They can get you a better price for a stone because they don't have the overhead a jeweler has.

I was corresponding with Jens Hansen about having Vilya made, and I asked them if they accepted a customer provided stone, and they do. And it dropped the price considerably.

So I hunted around and found a reputable gemstone dealer (recommended by a friend who deals only in diamonds) that sold me a sapphire for one third the price the jeweler quoted me. Same color (or really close), same cut, clarity and weight, and same dimensions (kindly provided by JH) required to fit the ring. And even with having to pay for a stone, the price of Vilya was still less than what the ring would cost if JH provided the sapphire.
Last edited by Deimos on Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Jash""]Just reveived an email from Weta:
Unfortunatly they did not answer my questions - because all Glamdrings are currently spoken for.... :(
Oh well, c'est la vie...

I hope Jamanticus had better luck!!! At least one of us forumites should get one! lol[/quote]

Wow, that was fast! I was totally gonna buy one too. ;) :P
Head of the Department of Evil, Canadian Division.

"All that Longbottom gave me the munchies."

new member here just bought number 12 glamdring! :) (was 20 minutes to late to snag 11 doh)

I also ordered the distressed finish and i have some questions for you guys.

Do you think the distressed weathered finish would make the sword more valuable as a collectible? or would a polished blade have been the better way to go?

Also what are your thoughts on having peter sharpen it?

Thanks and goodluck to you all :)

[quote=""Conan""]new member here just bought number 12 glamdring! :) (was 20 minutes to late to snag 11 doh)

I also ordered the distressed finish and i have some questions for you guys.

Do you think the distressed weathered finish would make the sword more valuable as a collectible? or would a polished blade have been the better way to go?

Also what are your thoughts on having peter sharpen it?

Thanks and goodluck to you all :) [/quote]
I'm not so sure that the distressed finish will help with it's long term value; that's a personal taste issue.

Concerning sharpening, you have to go to New Zealand and bring it home yourself; no body will ship it sharp. ed209 can tell you all about that.

Welcome to the forum. Now we have two Glamdring owners :horseback :cheering:

are you sure? they mentioned nothing about that when they asked me about the option. and they know they are shipping it here. and ive bought a sharpened conan sword with no issues.

either way i can talk to them about that, the reason i ask your thoughts, is because i have no idea if it would decrease its value or is it considered mint condition to keep it unsharpened?

im hoping that the weathered condition also doesnt beat up the sword to much i mean whats the point of making a beautiful sword if your going to acid in a bunch of holes into it?
Last edited by Conan on Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Thranduil""]....Concerning sharpening, you have to go to New Zealand and bring it home yourself; no body will ship it sharp. ed209 can tell you all about that.... :horseback :cheering: [/quote]

Not absolutely certain, but I think the "sharpened" issue had more to do with it being shipped to Europe (EU regs).
I think you can have a sharpened blade shipped to the US, no problem.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

That was a joke on Thranduil's part (I think)- going there to NZ to pick it up personally (what ed_209 did) has nothing to do with shipping restrictions or customs, so no need to worry about that, Conan.

The 'point' of beating up a beautiful sword is to give it character and visual history. To make it look 6,000 years old like the film prop.

Ultimately, though, I think any finish will be fine for value, as they are all applied by the maker himself, but if you don't personally LOVE the weathered finish, don't get it. The original film prop was just as pitted as the pics you posted, so the weathering on yours will be just as heavy. You already sound a bit like you're not enamored with the aged version, so if that's the case, I'd personally get the satin or mirror finish if I were in your shoes. Like Weta said, it can't be undone once they do it, and since it won't change the value, you're the only one who has to live with that finish.

For sharpening, again, it'll be considered in mint condition whether it's sharpened or not. So purely personal preference there as well. Sharpened, it's closer to what the film sword represents, unsharpened, it's closer to what the film prop actually was.
Last edited by Jamanticus on Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

[quote=""Thranduil""]I'm not so sure that the distressed finish will help with it's long term value; that's a personal taste issue.

Concerning sharpening, you have to go to New Zealand and bring it home yourself; no body will ship it sharp. ed209 can tell you all about that.

Welcome to the forum. Now we have two Glamdring owners :horseback :cheering: [/quote]

Pulling a joke on a newcomer...SHAME! And we have 3 three Glamdring owners, you're forgettning Night Rider.

[quote=""Deimos""]Not absolutely certain, but I think the "sharpened" issue had more to do with it being shipped to Europe (EU regs).
I think you can have a sharpened blade shipped to the US, no problem.[/quote]

I'm almost positive that you're correct on that. :thumbs_up

[quote=""Jamanticus""]
The 'point' of beating up a beautiful sword is to give it character and visual history. To make it look 6,000 years old like the film prop.
[/quote]

My inner Tolkien purist wants to rip that Glamdring out of your hands and beat you to a pulp with it...6,500 years Jamanticus! 6 and a half thousand I tell you! :cursing_r

As for weathered vs polished and sharpened vs unsharpened, it's totally a personal preference, I think. Jaman likes his weathered, he even weathers his own UC stuff. If I got one, I would want it polished and sharpened. It's just a personal taste. Weathering won't devalue your sword. You can't go wrong with the the Master Swordsmith Collection, it's the top of the top as far as movie repilica blades are concerned.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Jamanticus""]That was a joke on Thranduil's part (I think)- going there to NZ to pick it up personally (what ed_209 did) has nothing to do with shipping restrictions or customs, so no need to worry about that, Conan.[/quote]

Correction - this is not a joke on Thranduil's part, not by a long shot. Please check here http://www.ucforums.com/showthread.php?t=4455&page=2 (about halfway down the page,) where Ed begins discussion on all the problems he had with attempting to get this sword shipped while sharpened, and what he eventually did about it.

I don't want any of our new members to be led astray, so please check all facts carefully before replying.
This Space for Rent

hmm, well honestly im not entirely sure of how i feel about the weathering, it really depends on how "far" they go, if its just a few pits and tarnishes that would be cool but im afraid the whole blade will be littered with pits and how would the sword then be functional? this is speculative as weta has not delivered high res pics of the entire weathered sword version.

The only other reason why i was almost leaning towards polished was because many fans have said that elvish blades can never corrode or rust and that they always looked prestine.. this of course would mean the movie props are inaccurate and then would pose the question am i getting a replica of the movie sword or the Tolkien mythology sword?

So im still confused but i believe i have a little bit more time to change the order if necessary, due to the fact it may take a while for Peter to even begin making my glammy.

So all comments and opinions are welcome please share your thoughts on this :)

If the weathering is done on a similar scale to what was done with United Cutlery's Museum Collection version, then I would have to say that it is definitely not over the top, and that Glamdring won't look so corroded and full or pits and poc marks that it looks barely functional. If you look closely at screen caps from the movies, you'll see that Glamdring looks very nicely preserved for its supposed age. I suspect the weathering will be mostly concentrated on the pommel, hilt wrapping, and crossguard, while leaving the blade relatively unblemished.

As for the question of whether you're getting a sword that's more accurate to Tolkien or Peter Jackson, that's a whole other can of worms. Everyone on this forum knows where my loyalties are on this subject, and while I can say that Jackson got a lot of things right, he also got a lot of them wrong. Do elven blades really not weather and tarnish? Possibly, and it would make sense while adding to the mystique and superior craftsmanship of the sword, but I don't recall reading this in the texts, and it could be just book fans extrapolating this from other fantasy sources.

Ultimately, the sword known as Glamdring that appears in the movies is an interpretation by the concept design artists and prop-makers. It's as good as any representation I've ever seen, and for what it's worth, due to its appearance onscreen, it has become the defacto 'official' version of Glamdring. Since Tolkien isn't about to return from the grave any time soon and tell Peter Lyon which details he got wrong, I would safely say that you're getting the best of both worlds here.

Just as a side note, my preference would be for the mirror finish in this case, but that's just my taste.
This Space for Rent

My mistake, Val. Thanks for pointing me to that thread, now I realize I never actually read it in detail until now. You have my apologies, did not mean to spread misinformation.

In any case, it's an academic point in Conan's case.

About the weathering, Conan- firstly, the pitting will not ruin the integrity of the blade by any means. It'll still be 100% functional even if it is riddled with pits like the original prop. The weathering will not be just a few little pits and a bit of tarnish, however- it'll be heavy, with pretty hefty pits going all the way down the blade and all over the hilt like in the Weta pics you showed. :thumbs_up

Here's the original's hilt and a bit of blade in super hi-res so you'll have a better idea of how heavy the weathering is.

I also would say that whether you want a film-accurate sword or a book-accurate sword is another big consideration as to the finish. You've given a very good reason to go for the mirror finish.

I personally see the weathered Glamdring as semi-accurate to the books as well, since it's gotta be magical to be 6,500 years old and only have some corrosion to show for it.

For reference, this is how most non-magical swords look after 6500 years:

:crazy:
Last edited by Jamanticus on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

i agree with most of what you said, im also not sure but in the pictures it looks like the blade is polished but also weathered. so im not sure if thats how they do it or not i will have to ask.

At this point its still a toss up for me. There is no way to tell what version i would prefer as weta has yet to send me pictures of the polished version. while reading your messege your ending opinion caught me off guard, from what you wrote before i assumed your preference would be weathered lol. what makes you lean more towards the pristine version?

If its any consolation, i have decided to go with sharpening it. :)

Glad that I was able to post that pic again- it's my favorite pic of the original, getting to see all the distressing.

I got that pic from the very best site to find pics of the original props and costumes from the LotR trilogy: Alleycatscratch.com ... That place is a goldmine of visual information and just fantastic!
Last edited by Jamanticus on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Just got an email back from weta. answering a few questions and promising high res photos in the near future so i can make an educated decision :)
:

Hi Johnathan,

In answer to your questions:

(A) Finish: I have attached the only images we currently have of the weathered finish. In the New Year when Peter has Satin, Mirror & Aged finished samples, we will take a hi-res comparison photo of the three finishes and send it to you so you can make a final informed decision.

(B) Sapphire: the Sapphires are synthetic, i.e. they have the same chemical composition as naturally occuring sapphires, but are grown in a lab. I assume that sourcing appropriately sized 'real' sapphires is financially prohibitive.

(C) Other customers: of the 15 customers, 6 have opted for an aged finish, and 7 have opted for sharpening.

I hope this clarifies things for you, Johnathan.

I'll be in touch as soon as I can with updates on ETA and a comparison finish photo.

Cheers,
Darren

No probs, Jaman. I never thought for one second that you were deliberately misleading anyone. :thumbs_up

Conan, I said I would prefer the pristine version because I would like to behold, display, and think of the sword as new, like the day it was forged in Gondolin for Turgon. It really depends on where, in your mind's eye, you see this sword. As Gandalf's sword, and after six millenia, yeah... it's likely the sword might start to show its age a bit, and if you are looking for something that is 100% screen accurate, then the weathered version is definitely it. If, however, you prefer to think of your collection as 'frozen in time,' like a snapshot of Middle-earth at a particular point in its history, then the pristine version better captures that essence for me.

That said, I'm glad you went with the sharpened option, as that would be my preference also. I hope you find a good solution around getting it shipped as going to NZ is not an easy option for most folks.
Last edited by Valkrist on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
This Space for Rent

Good to know, Moon, and thanks for the update on this bit of info. I think that still rules out most of the EU though, especially the UK.

Not that it matters to me personally though; these blades are indeed the holy grail of collecting, but too rich for my blood at the moment. I shudder to think what they will be going for on ebay someday, although I'm sure Ed is personally going to grab his Anduril and hunt down and kill anyone who engages upon such a sacriligeous act as auctioning one of these off. :P
This Space for Rent

lol i envy the guy who is getting all #1's inclding scabbards, seriously though those scabbards are sooooo e xp ensive :O glammy's is $6,900 without weathering or polish!

anyways good to know that i can get the sharpened sword shipped here.

@Jamaticus
Thanks for the pics! that really helps, though they looks more distressed that the pics weta sent me, i can actually see some rust :O
Personally im glad that the sapphires are real (real to me is having the same chemical make up ) honestly it makes no difference whether they grew them in a lab or dug them out of the ground.

@Valkrist

Your point about it being frozen in time is EXACTLY what i was thinking. the only problem is tolkien never finished the epic story that almost was "the Fall Of Gondolin"
So we will never see glamdring mentioned in the great war other than that it was there and was lost.

But i too feel like having it pristine brings about that feeling of being in the presence of a truly magical sword, not to take away from the distressed which probably brings about a different vibe or presence: feeling of unearthing a great legendary relic eons old. so again still a toss up for me, slightly leaning towards polished now but i will hear more opinions and wait for the new pics from weta to make the final call :)
Last edited by Conan on Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Jamanticus""]I remember that one Anduril that someone put up on eBay for, what was it... $8,000 US?

That was sad to see, though I don't think it got any bids?[/quote]

Yikes! i wish i knew about that i probably would have grabed it...or maybe not im rather broke at the moment lol.

it took me 2 years to pay off my albion conan swords and now i have another year and a half to pay off glammy ...i dont make much being a college student and all

(I'm in a hurry.)

1) Initially, "Weta" had problems shipping sharpened swords via FedEx and
some other companies, but eventually they found a carrier (thanks, Anna)
that had no problem with this issue. I could have had it shipped too, but I
simply decided to take my chances and go there in person, even after the
"sharp" problem was solved.

I never had any problems importing sharp blades either.

2) Both weathered and mint is great, depends on taste, but I don't think it
has anything to do with value. I'd probably aim for brand new look, satin
finish.

3) Sharp blade is imperative. These are swords, remember that. We're not
using them, of course, but they're still swords and, if possible, they mustn't
be castrated.

4) Val, I truly don't care what other guys do with their Andúrils. Mine is the
only one with mirror polish (and it's gorgeous, you'll see pics, that was
definitely good choice), one of four with scabbard and belt, and one of few
(I'll have to check that) with live edge. I don't care if other dudes throw
their swords in ocean -- I only care about #03 (which is best, LOL). And,
don't you forget, I don't have Strider's Sword, nor did I order Glamdring
now. Therefore, I hope I'll be able to bid for (any of) those one day. But let
me be clear on this: I do not wish anyone to be forced to part with his
treasure because of some crap in life. I simply wish some people get bored
having these arts -- I know I never will.

;)

I'll answer in more detail if needed when I get more time, but I wish to
congratulate Night Rider, Conan and Jamanticus for their orders!

:cheers:

P.S.

[quote=""Conan""]lol i envy the guy who is getting all #1's inclding scabbards[/quote]

There is no such guy. Night Rider didn't order scabbard for Andúril and I'm not
sure about the other two swords.
Last edited by ed209 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My first impression tonight was, WOW, fast moving thread, two and a half pages within hours.
Then I began to read and:

Thanks Val for pointing out I wasn't joking; although I apologize that my impression was in accurate. I thought the sharpened issue had to do with shipping restrictions applied to UPS, Fed Ex, DHS, etc. not countries.

Concerning the weathered look, I too personally would go with pristine just in case I needed to sell it some day. Not many people want a 2010 sword that looks centuries old. Top dollar may be paid for a real deal centuries old sword that shows it's age because it is indeed old, but I think you limit yourself in terms of potential buyers for an item such as this (again, only if you need to sell; you never know). Even by taste alone I still believe all Middle Earth swords to be almost immune to age, especially elven made swords.

Seems to me that Glamdring is rumored to possibly be made by Curufin. Trained by his father, who is declared by Tolkien himself the greatest craftsman of all time. My opinion is that this blade would be immune to tarnish.

Finally, I have to add a personal note concerning the previous assumptions about my sharpened sword shipping remarks;
I found myself quite surprised that any of you would think my remarks were a possible joke, or that I would misdirect a new member. How is it that you haven't noticed I usually point out my tongue in cheek humor so as not to mislead?

And concerning my sincerity and integrity within; I would point to my efforts to create what no one else has; the Mythril shirt. I think I'll take Theoden's scabbard off the the burner entirely and focus on what I want more than that.

Return to “Weta Workshop”