Re: Master Swordsmith Collection - Glamdring!!!

Okay Jaman, the first photo is of a corner cabinet I made with mirror back. I wanted you to see the "wings" of the cabinet, forget about the style, tapered sides etc.

Here's a really basic sketch. Let me know if you're interested in more details and I'll PM you.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

@Jamanticus: The weathering is very nicely done indeed :thumbs_up
Looks like an ancient magical blade that has been lovingly preserved. You can see the pits but the blade and fittings still exude that satin sheen.
Wow. Seeing ur pics makes me feel like degreasing mine and whipping it out from storage for a few practice air swings in the evening light!! (the sword I mean). Hmm maybe tmrw heheh...got a day off work.
So what's the display plan for ur glamdring man?? Trinity of Glamdrings (I.e. UC, MC & MSSC)?
I'm planning to do a hobbit set up...glamdring, sting and orcrist..but really having a dilemma over sting.
Last edited by Aragorn on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[quote=""Aragorn""]@Jamanticus: The weathering is very nicely done indeed :thumbs_up
Looks like an ancient magical blade that has been lovingly preserved. You can see the pits but the blade and fittings still exude that satin sheen.
Wow. ...[/quote]

Congratulations Jamanticus.

I have to agree with Aragorn...the weathering is perfectly done.
I never thought I would say that about weathering a sword...was always "just OK" with it.
But your Glamdring looks perfectly "aged"-- just right for an ancient heirloom weapon.

I'd love to hold your Glamdring it since I've never held a real balanced sword before (except a fencing foil, and there is no comparison) .
Color me green with envy.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Jamanticus""]Thanks everybody!

Thranduil, the inscription on the pommel says (looks like) "© NLP™ Tolkien Ent Lic to NLP (899)"[/quote]
Anything about what number it is, or Peter Lyon's name elsewhere?
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]Anything about what number it is, or Peter Lyon's name elsewhere?[/quote]

Depends on the collector. I was told that if i wanted to inscribe the sword's number or Weta's name they can make it happen.

WETA really gave us some room for customisation. But I think most collectors would have preferred to let Peter Lyon work his magic.

For my Glamdring, although the edges are blunt, I requested the sword point to be sharpened.

I believe if we wanted to do one side of the blade with a mirror finish and the other side with a weathered finish, weta could also do it. But I think not mant people would make such a request haha.
Last edited by Aragorn on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Wow wow and WOW , JAM i am impressed. thank you for all the angles! it truly looks amazing, and better than i e xp ected dare i say?!

Im suprised you got your before me since im number 12, but im guessing mirror polish somehow takes longer? But i got word that he just shipped it out monday so i should be getting it very soon and posting plenty of pictures for all of you :)

also great idea on the display with mirrors, i might look into that!

[quote=""Conan""]Wow wow and WOW , JAM i am impressed. thank you for all the angles! it truly looks amazing, and better than i e xp ected dare i say?!

Im suprised you got your before me since im number 12, but im guessing mirror polish somehow takes longer? But i got word that he just shipped it out monday so i should be getting it very soon and posting plenty of pictures for all of you :)

also great idea on the display with mirrors, i might look into that![/quote]
Looking forward to seeing the mirrored finish as well Conan :thumbs_up

Hello everyone, i just thought its about time i got some high rez pictures of my glamdring. Apologies for the delay friends.

Behold mirror finished Glamdring :)

Also unrelated shameless plug, i will be posting photos of my collections that i am currently selling today. so please check them out, especially you Conan fans ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Conan on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mmmm, that is a true beauty! :thumbs_up

I imagine the photos scarcely do justice to your Glamdring's brilliant shine in person- not a single grind mark left from its crafting, so assiduously polished its surface really is as reflective as the solid metal mirrors of antiquity.

Darn it, my eyes are all wide now from looking at those photos and they won't go back to normal :D

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

[quote=""Dark Shadow""]Thanks so much for sharing Conan,that is a stunning and shiny sword you have there congrats. :thumbs_up [/quote]

Thank you!

[quote=""Jamanticus""]Mmmm, that is a true beauty! :thumbs_up

I imagine the photos scarcely do justice to your Glamdring's brilliant shine in person- not a single grind mark left from its crafting, so assiduously polished its surface really is as reflective as the solid metal mirrors of antiquity.

Darn it, my eyes are all wide now from looking at those photos and they won't go back to normal :D [/quote]

Yes,however as ive noticed no mirror finish ever is perfect i do notice very small groups of lines here and there but only at certain angles can you see them, do to the way the light hits it.

But all in all it feels otherworldy in my hands like im holding a sword made out of a glassy metallic material unlike normal "mortal" metal. Now i only need to find a way to display it

[quote=""Jamanticus""]Mmmm, that is a true beauty! :thumbs_up

Darn it, my eyes are all wide now from looking at those photos and they won't go back to normal :D [/quote]
Jamanticus i see that you also own a Glamdring sword made by Weta so that makes two of you own such a masterpiece. :thumbs_up

[quote=""Dark Shadow""]That much ???? Woow,I wonder who could that be.
Do you or the other members also have Anduril & Strider's sword from Weta.
I believe there are 4 swords made by Weta with the last one Sting.
It's a lot of money but certainly every inch worth of. :thumbs_up [/quote]
If you go back and read through this thread you'll find out who they are.
I'd rather say that than assume they want their names listed arbitrarily.

One of them has #01 of Anduril, Strider, & Glamdring. Not sure if he stayed the course for Sting.

I'm quite sure there are 5 members and a sixth no longer with us who are owners of at least one.

[quote=""jnicktem""]Which one is which? I feel that it can be interpreted in different ways. Is hobbit scale the bigger sword?[/quote]

Actor scale weapons are made for the lead actors. So the actor scale Sting will be used by Martin Freeman and Elijah Wood and its larger to make them look smaller.

Hobbit scale, is basically the real world scale of the item.

You're right about it being open to interpretation. As the smaller scaled swords are used by their mini body doubles when standing next to actors such as Ian Mckellen and Hugo Weaving, and the smaller body doubles are still actors, so you could say that thats actor scale.

But generally on the forum we refer to larger scaled items as actor scale pieces. Hope I haven't confused you more :P
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

It was the fine art version. Yikes - I wasn't e xp ecting the scabbard to be nearly $5000. I thought it was a misprint. That also put me off. I would want the scabbard but I couldn't afford the sword and the scabbard. Yet you have to order the scabbard with the sword. You can't order it afterwards.

Local Australian state laws apparently don't allow double edged swords to be imported. So technically, even the UC Sting could be confiscated if they are having a bad day.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]5k for the scabbard? :O Goodness gracious, and we thought they were e xp ensive a few years ago. I wonder if they've even sold half the numbers on Orcrist, either. It seems that, no matter how hard they try, they can't top the LotR sword series. Orcrist is like 10k, and I'm not even sure that includes the scabbard. :huh: [/quote]

The scabbard for Orcrist is even more than the sword, iirc.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]In that case I'd be a little suprised if they'd sold any! :P [/quote]
Unless you happen to have that kind of money, then it becomes an incredible investment.
While our member who was collecting all these pieces doesn't say much, I always wonder if he has kept up with the MSSC line entirely.
Based on one sale I know of, the appreciation would make his investment worth about 75% more than he paid at this point.

The Orcrist scabbard price doesn't surprise me since it far beyond all the other scabbards in the MSSC line.

[quote=""Jash""]With the ever increasing price of this line, along with slower sales and higher edition numbers... I wonder if this marks the end of the MSSC line...?[/quote]
I'm thinking it has to be. Mr. Lyon having to go from editions of 10 to 15 to 25 and even in Sting's case open.... that's not sustainable for one man with his schedule.

[quote=""Jash""]Both very good points. Well the way things are going - i wonder if Weta would consider a "MSSC Jr." line lol. As in 1/5 the price, handmade, unlimited, but not to the exact level of craftsmanship as MSSC. I'd love having some "real" LOTR swords - somewhere between the quality of a MC and a MSSC...[/quote]
I believe Weta actually has been going in the opposite direction of that excellent idea, sadly.

Back when Anduril came out, there was an option to have the scabbard made from a lower-grade material like rubber or urethane at a significantly cheaper price. Not sure if they offered the same for Strider's sword and scabbard, but they definitely had ceased all thoughts of it for Glamdring and onwards. :'(

Return to “Weta Workshop”