Re: Master Swordsmith Collection - Glamdring!!!

Its good to see ed back with his prize,congrats brother!

i dont know how ed new i ordered glammy but he is correct,this time with scabbard/belt...yippeee :D

i had to have the complete set for this one as a leaf shaped blade the length of a longsword and with a fuller makes it unique i think.

Has anyone else designed a blade like this before?

i know leaf shaped blades go back in history maybe a thousand years but they were more the size of sting.
Arise! Arise, riders of Théoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered - a sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride to ruin, and the world's ending! Forth Éorlingas!"

Awesome, you got the scabbard setup!

Pics galore when you get it? Wish I could've gotten the scabbard as well, but I figured I could be happy without it and the funds needed to go to another once-in-a-lifetime purchase at around the same time :thumbs_up

I remember reading a discussion on leaf blades a while back. Definitely none historically as long as Glamdring, nor with as subtle a leaf. Or with a fuller, you're right :D Very unique design.

EDIT: On an off note, I was just reading on a forum from 8 years ago... It was an absolutely terrible thread that was all to do with people making fun of Glamdring's design for silly reasons. Get this, Tolkien e xp erts: lots of people were making fun of the runes on the guard. "Those are Dwarven runes, what are they doing on an Elven sword?"... I wanted to go back in time for your sake, Fingolfin, and tell them, "You FOOLS! The runes are Cirth, a writing system *invented* by the Elves! And the inscription's in Sindarin!" Yeah, glad to get that off my chest :D

Oh, and Night Rider, I've got one question about Glamdring's scabbard: does it have a silver Cirth "G" directly beneath the metal throat? I've heard that it does, but have never seen any pictures of it...
Last edited by Jamanticus on Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

[quote=""Jamanticus""]
EDIT: On an off note, I was just reading on a forum from 8 years ago... It was an absolutely terrible thread that was all to do with people making fun of Glamdring's design for silly reasons. Get this, Tolkien e xp erts: lots of people were making fun of the runes on the guard. "Those are Dwarven runes, what are they doing on an Elven sword?"... I wanted to go back in time for your sake, Fingolfin, and tell them, "You FOOLS! The runes are Cirth, a writing system *invented* by the Elves! And the inscription's in Sindarin!" Yeah, glad to get that off my chest :D [/quote]
Reminds me of the writers story about how PJ might be screwing with the Hobbit story by bringing back LOTR characters.
Both stand out in my mind as examples of how people get their facts screwed up due to second hand (ignorant) knowledge. The next thing you know, something that was never true becomes canon.
Isn't that the definition of Wikipedia?
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Night Rider""]Its good to see ed back with his prize,congrats brother![/quote]

Thanks, bro! I'll have more to say. Be sure to contribute your photos here,
the community needs you:

showthread.php?t=5045

[quote=""Night Rider""]i dont know how ed new i ordered glammy but he is correct[/quote]

Both Strider's Sword and Glamdring were offered to me (serial number
reservation) and both times #01 was taken already.

Oh, wow....that really is a thing of beauty. As a teacher I'll never have the disposable income to pick up one of these swords, but I'm thankful to see the pics at least. Awesome stuff. I can't get over how long Anduril is. I'm so used to dealing with Greek and Roman weaponry in discussion, it seems odd to see a sword that huge.

Cheers,

Guy
omnia quae antehoc facta sunt atque iterum factura

'All this has happened before and will happen again'[/font]

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Ugh, Jamanticus, some people just make me want to fall on a sharp pencil every now and then. Dwarven runes on Glammy.... :cursing_r [/quote]
Am I missing sarcasm here?
There is no such thing as dwarven runes, the elves (Feanor) invented the language letters if I'm not mistaken.
The dwarves adopted them.

Anyone care to clarify?
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

You'd figure after having read the Silmarillion not too long ago, and having listened to the podcasts, that I'd remember.

Nope.

I'm pretty sure you're right, Thanduril. I'll check this afternoon and try and hunt the passage down. It's got to be in Ainulindalë or shortly thereafter.

Also, as a side note, has anyone else bought the "Children of Hurin" on audiobook? I received some I-Tunes gift cards for Xmas, and I went and purchased (28 bucks) the book read by none other than Christopher Lee. Holy crap it's good.....

The only problem with it, though, is that you have to concentrate on listening to him, and not just hearing his voice. lol

Cheers,

Guy

[quote=""Legion""]You'd figure after having read the Silmarillion not too long ago, and having listened to the podcasts, that I'd remember.

Nope.

I'm pretty sure you're right, Thanduril. I'll check this afternoon and try and hunt the passage down. It's got to be in Ainulindalë or shortly thereafter.

Also, as a side note, has anyone else bought the "Children of Hurin" on audiobook? I received some I-Tunes gift cards for Xmas, and I went and purchased (28 bucks) the book read by none other than Christopher Lee. Holy crap it's good.....

The only problem with it, though, is that you have to concentrate on listening to him, and not just hearing his voice. lol

Cheers,

Guy[/quote]

The voice of Saruman is a powerful thing.

I misspoke earlier, whoops. What I meant by "dwarven runes" was Khuzdul inscriptions. Cirth in indeed elven, Daeron of Doriath invented the system, although the elves largely replaced it with Feanor's Tengwar. :thumbs_up

And oh man, Sir Christopher reading The Children of Hurin...that sounds captivating! I have the book, but no audiobook of it. In fact, Children of Hurin was the first Tolkien I ever read. I saw it on a shelf in Target, newly published, when I was in seventh grade...the rest is history. :D
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Fingolfin""]I misspoke earlier, whoops. What I meant by "dwarven runes" was Khuzdul inscriptions. Cirth in indeed elven, Daeron of Doriath invented the system, although the elves largely replaced it with Feanor's Tengwar. :thumbs_up

And oh man, Sir Christopher reading The Children of Hurin...that sounds captivating! I have the book, but no audiobook of it. In fact, Children of Hurin was the first Tolkien I ever read. I saw it on a shelf in Target, newly published, when I was in seventh grade...the rest is history. :D [/quote]

I picked up the book (before I had made the now-successful attempt at the Silmarillion) in June 2007 when I was taking a group of students to Greece and Italy. I picked it up in the Tampa airport, and finished it by the time we landed in Athens. I hadn't read a book all the way through in one sitting in years and years! I loved it, and now that I have the Silmarillion firmly behind me, it is so very clear when I listen to Lee.

Yes, buy it. It's 28.00 on I-Tunes and worth every frakkin' penny. Audiobooks that are 100+ dollars are WAY overpriced IMO, but this is very reasonable for such a great reading (7 hours+).

Cheers,

Guy

Maybe this belongs in a different thread, but for those with Glamdring on order, and no Anduril to hang next to it... I just saw #06 pop up on the auction site which shall not be named.

I think it is taboo on these boards to post a link to that auction site directly. So if you are interested, you'll have to go look it up. :)

BTW, this isn't my Anduril (which is #02 and not for sale), so I guess I am providing some free advertising for whoever is trying to sell this one. Just thought it might be of interest to someone here. Brace yourself for that price tag. ;)

[quote=""Moonglum83""]Maybe this belongs in a different thread, but for those with Glamdring on order, and no Anduril to hang next to it... I just saw #06 pop up on the auction site which shall not be named.

I think it is taboo on these boards to post a link to that auction site directly. So if you are interested, you'll have to go look it up. :)

BTW, this isn't my Anduril (which is #02 and not for sale), so I guess I am providing some free advertising for whoever is trying to sell this one. Just thought it might be of interest to someone here. Brace yourself for that price tag. ;) [/quote]

Could you PM me the site, not that I'm going to buy it but just like to see it.

Got a question regarding sharpening glamdring.

1) How much does sharpening affect the balance of the sword?

2) For swords that are not sharpened, do swordsmith's try to balance the harmonics and balance for the unsharpened sword to the extent that if one were to sharpen the blade in the future, the harmonics and balance will be "off" since the sword is calibrated to be unsharpened?

Any thoughts?

I'm thinking of going unsharpened because of Australian import rules (more specifically the uncertainty of it regarding sharpened blades; I phoned half the state departments and no one knows anything although I managed to bring in an unsharpened sword 6 months ago). I don't mind unsharpened but it's nice to know there is an option to sharpen it in the future and yet maintain the harmonics and balance.
Last edited by Aragorn on Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[quote=""Conan""]actually does anyone know if Anduril had a Mirror polish in the movie? or was it satin?[/quote]

Anduril was satin finish in the movie. The swords Peter made for Weta to display at SDCC were all satin as well.

In my opinion, you get a better feel for the depth on the fuller, and the shape of the blade with the satin finish. Mirror is just so shiney, but everyone is entitled to their opinions. My Anduril is satin finish, and to my eyes it looks exactly like the best shots you see of the sword in the film.

I attached two small pics for reference. One from SDCC and the other a screen-grab of Viggo with Anduril. You can jump over to Ed's thread on Master Swordsmith's serial numbers to see how the mirror finish changes the blade appearance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

[quote=""Moonglum83""]Anduril was satin finish in the movie. The swords Peter made for Weta to display at SDCC were all satin as well.

In my opinion, you get a better feel for the depth on the fuller, and the shape of the blade with the satin finish. Mirror is just so shiney, but everyone is entitled to their opinions. My Anduril is satin finish, and to my eyes it looks exactly like the best shots you see of the sword in the film.

I attached two small pics for reference. One from SDCC and the other a screen-grab of Viggo with Anduril. You can jump over to Ed's thread on Master Swordsmith's serial numbers to see how the mirror finish changes the blade appearance.[/quote]
I have to say that (while I still would not go for the weathered aged finish), the satin finish is in fact more accurate verses highly polished mirror finish that I have thought I would prefer.

Thanks Moon for those pics.

Looking forward to seeing those- the distressed Glamdring they show you in the pics to give you an idea of what you're getting seems a little strangely made.

Notice the runes in the center of the guard are crooked (especially the Cirth 'M'- the one that looks like an angular letter 'B'), and some of the pommel's scalloped edges are a little softer than they ought to be.

It'll be good to see the different finishes for this MSSC sword in high-res for sure. You never know... I might just change my mind about having it distressed.

On a related note, I'm wondering now whether I should've gone for the scabbard and belt as well. Most of my mind says I'll be just fine with the sword, but there's a little bit that wonders what it'd be like had I gotten all the accessories as well.
Last edited by Jamanticus on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

[quote=""Jamanticus""]On a related note, I'm wondering now whether I should've gone for the scabbard and belt as well. Most of my mind says I'll be just fine with the sword, but there's a little bit that wonders what it'd be like had I gotten all the accessories as well.[/quote]

I say go for it Jman!!! I am sure Weta would be happy to add a scabbard and belt to your existing order, and of course relieve you of the extra $1k deposit. :)

Not to try and sway your decision too much, but I missed out on the scabbards for the Conan swords from Albion, and now that they lost the license, I will never be able to get them... A decision I regularly feel regret over. I have even started looking into options to have custom scabbards made. To me, having an entire weapon rig (sword, scabbard and belt) really makes an unbelieveable set that adds so much depth and history to the item.

I must admit the Weta scabbards are hideously e xp ensive, and if I hadn't gotten them for Andruil and Strider's Sword, then I would have had enough funds to purchase all 4 swords instead. Never for a moment have I regretted my decision to get those scabbards though. Having both of Aragorn's complete weapon rigs is the highlight of my collection, and I know Glamdring will be the highlight of yours. Don't miss the complete setup! :thumbs_up

Oh yeah, uhh... no pressure. :coolsmile

hmmm im not sure if i would agree with Moonglum. Funny thing is i actually DID get the scabbard from albion for the conan atlantean sword :P and i actually regret it. Dont get me wrong.. the Scabbard is amazing, its just i feel like the extra money could have bought me another sword. but hey maybe i could always sell it..looks like i already have a potential buyer here ;D

[quote=""Conan""]hmmm im not sure if i would agree with Moonglum. Funny thing is i actually DID get the scabbard from albion for the conan atlantean sword :P and i actually regret it. Dont get me wrong.. the Scabbard is amazing, its just i feel like the extra money could have bought me another sword. but hey maybe i could always sell it..looks like i already have a potential buyer here ;D[/quote]

If you really mean that... send me a PM and let me know how much you want for the scabbard. You can use the money to get another sword, and I can get a scabbard I missed out on. Maybe we can both solve a regret. :)

I assume we are both talking about the Barbarian Atlantean sword, not the Destroyer Atlantean. Just to make sure.

[quote=""Jamanticus""]It did indeed sell, for the starting bid of $7500 :thumbs_up [/quote]
Gotcha :thumbs_up
Thanks Jaman for clarifying that.
So, ed, apparently your investment has gone up more than 25% in less than a year.(Debatable I know, but I prefer to think positive).

That said, Moonglum is on the buy three get the fourth free due to appreciation.

Warren Buffet would be proud :thumbs_up
Last edited by Thranduil on Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Moonglum83""]Just for clarification, I did not opt in for Glamdring. I think Night Rider is on-board with all 3 so far, but unsure if anyone else on these boards is.[/quote]
My mistake, I was under the impression it was you.
So Night Rider gets the Warren Buffet award for Best Investment of the Year(s) in Sword Collecting :thumbs_up

Return to “Weta Workshop”