Re: Master Swordsmith Collection - Glamdring!!!

Ed, nice post- here's a quote directly from Peter Lyon about swords that I thought went nicely with your post:

"As a sword maker I always ask a buyer 'Exactly why do you want a sharp sword?'. There are reasons for and against, here is a small sample. For: swords were meant to be sharp; the buyer wants to do test cutting with it. Against: unless it is impossible for the blade to be touched, somebody WILL cut themselves on it eventually (if you have kids or kids visit, this is important); it is no longer an art object, it is a weapon."

And Thranduil, I am deeply sorry I thought your post was a joke. I did not mean to question your character in any way whatsoever- the idea that anyone wanting a sharp sword from Weta would have to travel to New Zealand to pick it up just sounded so outlandish to me that I thought it had to be made up. Then I actually paid attention to the thread Valkrist pointed me to, and I realized why you thought what you did. Now, thanks to clarifications from Ed and Moonglum, we all know what the shipping situation is currently, and there's no misinformation. I am 100% certain nobody on these forums believes you'd ever intentionally misdirect people or anything cruel like that. I have a great respect for you, your sincerity, your integrity, and your posts (and your amazing work) and I hope that it isn't because of anything said in this thread that you're deciding not to pursue creating Herugrim's scabbard any longer.
Last edited by Jamanticus on Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:04 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

Hi guys. First time I'm posting here although I've been following this forum for quite a while...lurking in the shadows Gollum-style.

Anyway thought I'll register to contribute to this discussion since I'm also deciding on the finish of glamdring.

I have a precise idea in my mind how I want to display Glamdring; I want it shiny enough to have an almost liquid-like effect. But on the other hand I'm afraid mirror might come across as chrome which is not what I'm looking for cuz I believe swords have to look somewhat rugged. So if satin is shiny enough then I might very well go for the basics.

The reason why I'm going for the shiny look is because I'm thinking of a way of incorporating blue neon tubes into a display case so that I can display glamdring with it's proper glow.

I'm not a sword e xp ert so I'll appreciate comments from u guys regarding mirror polish vs satin.

@ed209
first off i deeply envy you for getting a mirror finished Anduril, it must look amazing! you must post high res pics here for us soon :)

Second i totally agree with the sharpening. i just feel like if you want a true replica, having it sharp is a must and especially if its done by the maker.

also im interested to know your reasoning of why you choose satin over mirror?

And thanks for clearing up the scabbard thing. i really thought there was someone going for the 40,000 supreme deal lol.

@ Thranduil

i understand your points, but also keep in mind there is a high amount of people that may be choosing the distressed finish without naming any names. so it seems to be a popular choice for whatever reasons there may be.

@Jamaticus
I actually disagree with the opinion that a sharpened sword is no longer art. i mean...common if anything its now both a weapon and a work of art :)

@Aragorn

Thank you for finally coming out of the shadows! honestly im not sure why you would think all swords should be ruggid. I believe it depends on the sword. My Atlantean IS ruggid but i would assume elvish swords should be more elegant and sleek.

However from what you have said so far i can strongly recommend a satin finish for you. since a mirrored finish would do just as you would e xp ect which is probably reflect things around it. whereas the satin finish would hold some of that glowing color making it react the way you want it to i believe. however im not sure what you mean by shiny a liquid effect.
Last edited by Conan on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Agreed, Conan- a sharpened sword by a master is without doubt both a weapon and a work of art.

Thranduil, as Conan said, the aged finish is looking like a popular choice. Personally, I feel it's a legitimate finish that's got a good appeal (although coming from me, that might not mean very much, hehe). I don't think that finish would be a limiting factor in the market for these particular pieces, given what they are. If (hopefully never) any of us ended up selling a sword from the Master Swordsmith Collection, people would not be buying it for its age or whether you could see your reflection in it; they'd be buying it because it's a work of art and a piece of film/literary history. Now, if two people were selling the same sword at the same time with similar prices but different finishes, then I can certainly see where the finish would come into play as a deciding factor for someone buying.

And Aragorn, welcome to these forums! I'm thinking satin finish as well for a display like you're considering. It sounds like it'd diffuse the light hitting it *just* enough to lessen its glare and make it more smooth and liquidy. Mirror finish, while amazing to be sure, might reflect something as intense as blue neon a bit harshly.

Good points raised inrelation to the mirror/satin decision.

I'm actually leaning a little bit towards satin. The promo pics on the weta page are of the satin finish and they have a nice sheen.

I've also done a bit of looking around and it seems mirror polish is great for rust resistance although it shows smudges and scratches badly.

Satin finish seems like a good allrounder. So I suppose for me it all comes down to how shiny the satin finish is.

I'm actually 50/50 on satin and mirror and the only reason why I say I'm leaning towards satin is because i don't need to pay extra :D

I appreciate your apology Jaman, no problem here, it was another that set me off if you want to call it that.

As I said; the whole finish on the sword thing is a personal preference issue. I'm not against the aged look, and understand that many prefer their collection to have the feel of antiquity. :thumbs_up

My preference is that of pristine and beyond, and where an extremely limited edition is concerned (especially when it's $6300) I wouldn't want it anything but.

I'm not abandoning Theoden's scabbard. The Mytril shirt project made me think about all the other things I could have done with my time and money. Obviously I don't regret doing it since I succeeded; but through the project, success was always questionable. So I do such a project wondering the whole time if I am wasting my time and money. So it is with the scabbard; who is to say I'll pull that off successfully?

I have other things I'd rather tackle at this time, but I think that needs to be a new thread. :coolsmile This is Glamdring spotlight. :)
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Welcome new members / future Glamdring owners! ;)
If someone has time...there should be a "LE Master Swordsmith" thread - like the LE LOTR weapons threads....naming, in order, all the owners....

Tough choices - and i'll be no big help by repeating the idea of "it's up to you". Me personally? I would have went for sharpened, mirror polish. Sharpened mainly because that is what a sword SHOULD be....if it's not sharpened, it's not a sword....lol. Mirror polish? Well, normally i'd prefer satin finish on a newer blade...but for the LOTR swords there are 2 main reasons whey i'd go mirror. 1) Peter Lyon does an increadible job of his mirror finishes. 2) These swords are supposed to have an air of magic and fantasy around them - and i think the mirror finish best suits that. I also collect antique weapons, so that is why i'm biased against antiqued finishes. In my collection, i want the swords showing age and use, to actually be aged and used. But, that's me.

Can't wait to see how all of you display these pieces!
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

[quote=""Conan""]i find myself wanting to ask what this mithril project is, but i want to stay on topic as well. though there isnt much i can add until i get the pictures from weta.
[/quote]

showthread.php?t=4992

The Mithril shirt is quite an impressive piece of work done by our very own impressive member, Thranduil! *waves fingers jedi-style* You know you want to buy one. :P
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Jash""]If someone has time...there should be a "LE Master Swordsmith" thread - like the LE LOTR weapons threads....naming, in order, all the owners....[/quote]

I wanted to do that this weekend, as a surprise. :(

Also, I would ask Val to add "Weta Workshop" section in "Manufacturers",
and move all the threads about these swords in it, please. Thanks!

:thumbs_up

[quote=""ed209""]I wanted to do that this weekend, as a surprise. :(

Also, I would ask Val to add "Weta Workshop" section in "Manufacturers",
and move all the threads about these swords in it, please. Thanks!

:thumbs_up [/quote]

Excellent suggestion :thumbs_up
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Like the rest of you, I certainly am looking forward to seeing Orcrist :)

I'm picturing something that clearly looks like Glamdrings Brother.
Same size or close to it, similar blade with completely different guard, grip, and pommel.
(hoping it too has a gem, preferably an emerald, with green leather grip)

Hello all, just found this place and really like it. I had just recently found out about the Master's collection of the Lord of the Rings swords. Extremely nice, albeit very e xp ensive. It is a little disheartening to hear about some of the flaws and seeing the one in the grip of Glamdring. I have had two Albion Conan swords and both were excellent. Has any one here ever bought one of the functional swords from any other smith? Like Dark Sword or Fable Blades? They would seem to be a way of getting a very nice functional sword for a reasonable cost. I have ordered one of the Ranger swords from Dark sword.

Yeah, I can only imagine how shocked Moonglum was when he found his multi-thousand dollar sword had a crooked pommel. I mean, like others have said, they're perhaps the best swords in existence, but big flaws aren't nice. Here's hoping that they've ironed out all those kinks for Glamdring!

Regarding other makers, Brendan from Fable Blades is a member here, actually :thumbs_up

Don't own any Fable swords (although someday... :D ) or any pieces made by Darksword Armory, though.

I have heard many good things about the quality of Darksword's stuff, post pics and a review of the Ranger sword when it arrives!

sorry for the delay. yess i know we dont know what orcrist looks like but thats why i cant wait to see it! and there is no doubt, if its as great a design as the lord of the rings swords, that they will acquire a license for it and make a limited edition. may be a few years though :P

i imagined it actually to be a short sword but more dwarvish features on the guard, i forgot but i assumed it was a dawrven blade? either way i always imagined it to have designs similar to that of the handle of gimlis axe.

[quote=""Conan""]sorry for the delay. yess i know we dont know what orcrist looks like but thats why i cant wait to see it! and there is no doubt, if its as great a design as the lord of the rings swords, that they will acquire a license for it and make a limited edition. may be a few years though :P

i imagined it actually to be a short sword but more dwarvish features on the guard, i forgot but i assumed it was a dawrven blade? either way i always imagined it to have designs similar to that of the handle of gimlis axe.[/quote]
Well I suppose it makes sense that Orcrist will be shorter than Glamdring and for that reason Thorin chooses it, but it's still an elven blade.

Perhaps they'll put the runes on the blade instead of the cross guard. Two years before we find out, AARGHH! :viking:

Nope, Orcrist most definitely is not a dwarven blade, though its final wielder was a dwarf. Orcrist was Glamdring's 'mate' and forged in Gondolin by elves. The short sword theory makes sense, though typically, mated swords were of the same length and type. I'm not sure if Thorin's stature was ever fully described, but a burly and tall enough dwarf should be able to wield a longsword without too much problem. At any rate, I wouldn't count on seing any dwarven decorations and patterns on it, except maybe another set of Cirth Angerthas runes on the hilt.
Last edited by Valkrist on Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Space for Rent

To further what Val said, let's not forget that Thorin was a king (or at least, the heir to a long line of them). Most characters of nobility in mythology and in Tolkien's works tend to have a "kingly stature" to them. Thorin will no doubt look distinguished amongst the dwarves, so holding an elven sword that is only a bit shorter than Glamdring, if not the same size as Glamdring, shouldn't look too out of place. :thumbs_up

Yep, there's definitely that 'kingly' factor, Fin.

I also hope they do the right thing in the movie and have Thorin strap Orcrist to his back. Tall dwarf or not, a Glamdring-sized Orcrist will still look exceedingly odd and awkward if worn at the waist by Thorin. It should likely be longer than Balin's battle axe, and we all saw how Gimli had to carry that on his back.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Yep, there's definitely that 'kingly' factor, Fin.

I also hope they do the right thing in the movie and have Thorin strap Orcrist to his back. Tall dwarf or not, a Glamdring-sized Orcrist will still look exceedingly odd and awkward if worn at the waist by Thorin. It should likely be longer than Balin's battle axe, and we all saw how Gimli had to carry that on his back.[/quote]
Good point, I hope Orcrist is the same size as Glamdring. Actually I hope Orcrist is even better (if that's possible), Glamdring's my favorite sword in terms of design styling, love that blade. :thumbs_up

Yeah, there is definitely potential for Orcrist to be another truly great sword. Well, knowing it's Weta making it, I guess it's more of a highly likely outcome.

Personally, Glamdring appealed to me so much because it's not only an Elven sword with all the accompanying elegance and grace in its design, but it's also a Western-styled longsword. No Far East scimitar sort of vibe like with the HEWS or mostly all other Elvish bladed weapons except Sting, which really made it stand out. It's very much like I imagine the book sword would look (although it doesn't have an ivory handle... but the Midnight Blue grip of the film version being the color of Turgon's house sort of makes up for that in my mind).
Last edited by Jamanticus on Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[quote=""Jamanticus""]Yeah, there is definitely potential for Orcrist to be another truly great sword. Well, knowing it's Weta making it, I guess it's more of a highly likely outcome.

Personally, Glamdring appealed to me so much because it's not only an Elven sword with all the accompanying elegance and grace in its design, but it's also a Western-styled longsword. No Far East scimitar sort of vibe like with the HEWS or mostly all other Elvish bladed weapons except Sting, which really made it stand out. It's very much like I imagine the book sword would look (although it doesn't have an ivory handle... but the Midnight Blue grip of the film version being the color of Turgon's house sort of makes up for that in my mind).[/quote]

Good to see you've done your research, Jaman. :thumbs_up

Regarding the elven design, I'm glad that they stuck with the way Tolkien describes elven swords in the books for Sting and Glamdring. After I read the books and watched the films, I was a little peeved with the way the elven swords in the prologue were designed. I wanted them to be more like the blades that Tolkien had described on Fingolfin and Ecthelion and Turgon's swords, long and pale. Eventually the idea grew on me though, and I can see why Peter made the decision regarding the "flowing" design behind elven weapons and armor. I think what really did it for me on Glamdring though was that long, leaf-shaped blade. Oh man...that looks good... :D

Return to “Weta Workshop”