Re: Master Swordsmith Collection - Glamdring!!!

[quote=""Darlak""]I think the answer is obvious.[/quote]

Not as obvious as you think.

The stunts were probably blunt but not sure about the hero swords. And the UC swords had sharp tips and they were supposedly modeled after the actualy props.

Anyway it doesn't matter. Ive just sent an email to Darren to check. Really didn't want to bother him. But I will let you guys know what he says (Conan and Jamanticus).

Thrand, he meant the tip of the blade, not the edge.

Of course the movie props had blunted tips, they were even made of aliminium. But MSC swords aren't reproductions of the movie props, they're reproductions of the swords depicted in the movie. They're made to be fully functional steel blades, not movie props.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

[quote=""Darlak""]Of course the movie props had blunted tips, they were even made of aliminium. But MSC swords aren't reproductions of the movie props, they're reproductions of the swords depicted in the movie. They're made to be fully functional steel blades, not movie props.[/quote]

Gotta correct you there, Darlak. The hero swords were not aluminum; they were the same construction as the MSSC swords. The hero movie props (apart from the blunting, same as the unsharpened MSSCs) were fully functional swords of the highest caliber, just like the MSSC swords are.

Viggo Mortensen is well-known for using the hero version of his sword in as many scenes as he could- he felt the heft of the real thing added to the realism of the fight scenes.

There were versions of those swords that were made in aluminum, and there were some that were rubber, but those were stunt versions for lighter weight and added safety in scenes that called for such things.
Last edited by Jamanticus on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

Got a reply from Peter Lyon via the really helpful Darren R.

Thought I'll just share with you guys what i was told so we don't have to load them with the same questions.

Peter says it depends on whether or not you're having Glamdring sharpened. For the unsharpened glamdrings the tip will be "very slightly rounded...just enough so it isn't a danger".

So I suppose it boils down to whether you want screen accurate (ie slightly blunt tip) or middle-earth accurate.
Last edited by Aragorn on Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Conan""]eh good point but some people who have kids may not want a potentially deadly object in the home.[/quote]

Thanks Captain Safety. Swords in general are dangerous. Even UC Lotr tips are sharp! Are you seriously asking about a sold out sword's options that isn't even available to you because you are concerned about children's well-being, and you don't even have kids...or the option to buy this sword you speak of???
Last edited by Valkrist on Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Head of the Department of Evil, Canadian Division.

"All that Longbottom gave me the munchies."

[quote=""Conan""]well personally i would go for middle earth accurate. its just a shame that scabbards are so e xp ensive for these swords, sharpening becomes dangerous without a scabbard. so plan on keeping that thing locked up if you cant cover it : /[/quote]

Indeed. Unsharpened is definitely the most screen accurate because Weta never did make any sharpened prop swords.

For me, from day one I always wanted my Glamdring to be unsharpened because I do not intend to cut with glamdring (there are many good economical cutting blades to be had out there) so there is little reason for me to have it sharpened. Sharpening brings with it lots of potential problems.

The only possible reason i may want to have it sharpened is if the blunt tip really detracts from the aesthetics of the blade. Because I'm buying this item for looks rather than function, it is a very important consideration.

i am confused here ,are we talking about a 6000 buck sword ,need to be deleverd ,as an unsharp aluminiun ore rubber sword,to do the perfect match of the sceen sword. :crazy2:

plees come on .if you want a sword like this. it should be full funktionel whit sharb edge,and tip. :thumbs_up

paying for a sword like this ,also say you are able to ceap it safe.from children and other greesy hands.whits means your sword will be displayed in close casket,just like in a musseum. :coolsmile

[quote=""Aragorn""]Indeed. Unsharpened is definitely the most screen accurate because Weta never did make any sharpened prop swords.

For me, from day one I always wanted my Glamdring to be unsharpened because I do not intend to cut with glamdring (there are many good economical cutting blades to be had out there) so there is little reason for me to have it sharpened. Sharpening brings with it lots of potential problems.

The only possible reason i may want to have it sharpened is if the blunt tip really detracts from the aesthetics of the blade. Because I'm buying this item for looks rather than function, it is a very important consideration.[/quote]

I'm currently e-mailing Weta asking for mine to be sharpened, thanks to your very informative post. Glamdring's got such a beautiful tip (talk about a cut-and-thrust sword, Glammy definitely has both down pat) and it would be quite strange to have it be rounded. Especially since I've only got one sword at the moment with a rounded tip, and even that always made me kind of leery. Sharpening was one thing I was indecisive about for a while, but now my mind's made up :thumbs_up
Last edited by Jamanticus on Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

[quote=""Jamanticus""]I'm currently e-mailing Weta asking for mine to be sharpened, thanks to your very informative post. Glamdring's got such a beautiful tip (talk about a cut-and-thrust sword, Glammy definitely has both down pat) and it would be quite strange to have it be rounded. Especially since I've only got one sword at the moment with a rounded tip, and even that always made me kind of leery. Sharpening was one thing I was indecisive about for a while, but now my mind's made up :thumbs_up [/quote]

Glad To help!

Do you have a pic of your blunt tip sword?

Yeah, a false edge I can at least live with, but things like having no edge or a round tip just strip the sword of its power in my eyes.

On a Glamdring note, I sent an e-mail (along with my sharpening request) asking about the sapphires and how light-colored they are on the MSSC page. I'll let you all know what Mr. Lyon says in response!
Last edited by Jamanticus on Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

[quote=""Jamanticus""]On a Glamdring note, I sent an e-mail (along with my sharpening request) asking about the sapphires and how light-colored they are on the MSSC page. I'll let you all know what Mr. Lyon says in response![/quote]
Yeah, I'd like to know about those sapphires as well. As you pointed out (I think it was you) some created sapphires are really dark and deep blue. Others look more like Topaz. I'd be big on requesting dark sapphires.
For 6 grand they should at least be close. Did some hunting again and found some created ones that I'm considering; a pair for less than $60.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]Yeah, I'd like to know about those sapphires as well. As you pointed out (I think it was you) some created sapphires are really dark and deep blue. Others look more like Topaz. I'd be big on requesting dark sapphires.
For 6 grand they should at least be close. Did some hunting again and found some created ones that I'm considering; a pair for less than $60.[/quote]

Well judging by the pictures seen thus far, the pristine glamdring may have more of a light blue translucent sapphire, whereas the weathered distressed looked more dark but not really translucent deep as some of us may desire. Also it looks like the distressed sapphire was more round and not quite faceted like the pristine. Dont let this convince you of anything yet though as they have yet to send updated pictures on the final product. i have my fingers crossed for faceted deep blue :P

I was talking with my father today about Glamdring, and he said the most inadvertently funny thing- he still couldn't believe it's so e xp ensive, so he asked in a completely serious tone, "Well, can't you just get a used one?"

"You mean, like the original hero prop used in the films?"

"Yeah, that one ought to be cheaper."

"I really wish it were, Dad."
Last edited by Jamanticus on Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

[PHP]I was talking with my father today about Glamdring, and he said the most inadvertently funny thing- he still couldn't believe it's so e xp ensive, so he asked in a completely serious tone, "Well, can't you just get a used one?"

"You mean, like the original hero prop used in the films?"

"Yeah, that one ought to be cheaper."

"I really wish it were, Dad.

i think it is a very god idea to invovled close persons ,into your interrest,(hobbyes).but do not e xp ect eny understanding.of your passion for swords.
that in your miend need to bee ,the best of the best ever. :coolsmile

shap,perfectly balance real autentikal and daedly deangues :thumbs_up

did you ask your dad if he wass in the army?(ask, why use a ka-bar ore a sok)when you,can just go to the mall a buy a 2 bucks kitchenknife). :crazy2:

it is cheaper,

quality ,desings,funktionalability,and a story behind ,a sword .is e xp ensive ,
we all shre the same passion on swords in here . :thumbs_up

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 8709352302

have a look at Mr Lyon working on MSSC glamdring.According to weta's latest email update the first batch are almost completed and shipping FEB
Arise! Arise, riders of Théoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered - a sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride to ruin, and the world's ending! Forth Éorlingas!"

[quote=""Jamanticus""]Hmm, a blue acid compound with a thick enough consistency to be brushed on...

Gotta find out what that stuff is! :D [/quote]

My guess would be that blue stuff is a mask rather than acid, or perhaps a silicone surface coat to make a mold. That might be his master model for the pommel.

Why don't you copy the pic and send it to him and ask?
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

No, it is an acid as stated with this pic from the same page. Weta Workshop's Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 8709352302

Those pics were uploaded by the Weta Workshop, so the info is legit. There are some other pretty cool pics in their photo albums as well.
Last edited by Rough666 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Head of the Department of Evil, Canadian Division.

"All that Longbottom gave me the munchies."

Guess I should read instead of just look. xP

Obviously it's not that powerful of an acid. He's got a drip on his thigh.
Anyone else notice who likes this on that facebook page?
Last edited by Thranduil on Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Mithrandir""]hey everyone! , completely jealous here, wish i was fast enough to grab a glamdring myself. anyone know when sting will be available? hopefully not too soon. i need to save up lol[/quote]
Welcome to the forum Mithrandir.
Hate to break your heart but if your name isn't already in you won't be able to get a Sting.
Previous buyers have first dibs on new releases, then they go down the list of who's next in line.
Those hoping for an e xp anded number per edition are hopeful.

Sorry to inform you, but you can try to at least get your name in for future picks.

I'm guessing Sting might be made sometime in late 2011 or maybe early 2012.

EDIT: And Thranduil, I wouldn't be too sure that all chances of getting Sting are out the window. Not all the people who bought Anduril bought Strider's sword, and so on and so forth. I believe there's hope (there is always hope!) to get a Sting. Definitely send Weta an e-mail, Mithrandir. Tell them you're very interested in the MSSC Sting and ask if they could keep you updated about it.
Last edited by Jamanticus on Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:17 am, edited 4 times in total.

[quote=""Thranduil""]Welcome to the forum Mithrandir.
Hate to break your heart but if your name isn't already in you won't be able to get a Sting.
Previous buyers have first dibs on new releases, then they go down the list of who's next in line.
Those hoping for an e xp anded number per edition are hopeful.

Sorry to inform you, but you can try to at least get your name in for future picks.[/quote]

Thank you, im glad to be here :)

I really hope conan is right though. It would seem strange to me that they would announce to everyone they are making a special edition sword just to say that it sold out before even going on sale.

[quote=""Conan""]Well i emailed them right before glamdring was available and they said they have no decided yet on what the edition size would be.

This leads me to assume that they base the edition size on how many will be claimed by the previous buyers. so i would say their goal is to allow at least 5 swords available for the public and new collectors.[/quote]

I believe there were only three MSSC Strider swords available to the public.

[quote=""Jamanticus""]I believe there were only three MSSC Strider swords available to the public.[/quote]

For the Glamdrings if Weta hadn't increased the edition size, only two pieces would have been available to the public because when I wanted to reserve mine, I had a choice between #04 and #09.

@Mirthrandir: The best thing you can do is start saving now because when Sting does come out, there's a chance that some might become available. And when they do, you need to get in your order quick because they will sell out within days. FYI, Glamdring was announced on a Friday morning NZ time and by Monday, the 7 new pieces that were available to the public were all sold out. In fact a few people who did submit a reservation did not even get one cuz they were too late. So they were probably sold out sometime during the weekend.

So you need to make your decision in advance and pull the trigger when the sword is announced.

I suspect we'll only see an announcement sometime in 2011. Probably the 1st quarter of 2011 at the earliest.
Last edited by Aragorn on Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mithrandir:

Welcome. If you want Sting, I suggest you send Weta an email right now and tell them you're interested. If I had to take a guess, I'd say that Weta will take orders for these this summer. It was advertised on my Bag End OE last fall, so I can only assume that it will be sometime this year. I'm also guessing that the edition size will be 20, but this doesn't guarantee you a sword. It wll likely be the most sought after. Make sure you have to money to pay for it on a whim, too. They're first come first serve and it's a competitive market. Good luck!
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Thranduil""]Those hoping for an e xp anded number per edition are hopeful.
Sorry to inform you, but you can try to at least get your name in for future picks.[/quote]
And as Aragorn has stated have your money ready when they pull the trigger.
Sorry if my original post made it sound hopeless; I didn't intend it that way. :thumbs_up

Ah its okay im pretty confident that will be able to get one. just have to check the site every day thats all :) i will do what you suggested though fingolfin and email them ahead. im sure with the new movie coming out soon that it will be sought after the highest. i only hope the price isnt as high as the swords. Seeing as their logic goes with scabbard pricing, "materials makes up a lot of the cost" so shouldn't a small sword therefore cost less?

[quote=""Mithrandir""]Ah its okay im pretty confident that will be able to get one. just have to check the site every day thats all :) i will do what you suggested though fingolfin and email them ahead. im sure with the new movie coming out soon that it will be sought after the highest. i only hope the price isnt as high as the swords. Seeing as their logic goes with scabbard pricing, "materials makes up a lot of the cost" so shouldn't a small sword therefore cost less?[/quote]

Technically, yes, but as I'm a welder, I know how ridiculously cheap (or e xp ensive, givent he right circumstances) high quality steel is. So when making a batch of 10 or 20, and no more, material prices won't have much impact on the product price. What will likely impact the price however, is how long and "hard" the process of making the sword is. So yeah, Sting will probably be cheaper, but it's unlikely it will be because of material prices.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

Return to “Weta Workshop”