Re: Master Swordsmith Collection - Glamdring!!!

[quote=""Mithrandir""]Ah its okay im pretty confident that will be able to get one. just have to check the site every day thats all :) i will do what you suggested though fingolfin and email them ahead. im sure with the new movie coming out soon that it will be sought after the highest. i only hope the price isnt as high as the swords. Seeing as their logic goes with scabbard pricing, "materials makes up a lot of the cost" so shouldn't a small sword therefore cost less?[/quote]

Darlak is right about the material not being the real issue in the price, but Sting is not a small sword in the MSSC line. It's a full size human ratio. I have to find the photo, it's in another thread.http://www.ucforums.com/showthread.php?t=5046&page=2

And you are right about Sting having peak appeal due to the Hobbit, which is why I also believe Fin is correct; that they'll e xp and the edition size.
Good luck :thumbs_up
I have no doubt members of this forum top the owners list of the MSSCollection, so having yet another owner here is quite welcome. :)
Last edited by Thranduil on Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Well... You all know me. I like the aged version best, but both the satin and mirror finishes are lovely. I'd be worried getting the mirrored finish though; I'd be liable to blind myself with how shiny that is! (just kidding- in a good way. I'm likely to be blinded by the sword's amazingness in any finish, really :thumbs_up )
Last edited by Jamanticus on Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

Photos tend to fail to properly portray the reality of some things. In this case I find the weathered (aged) finish to be not quite aged enough. It's pitted and that appears to be it. I guess I e xp ected a tarnish or dullness to it, along with the leather grip (which appears to be brand spanking new). :|
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

It will be nice to see the aged version in person and in color.

Guess I ought to ask Weta if the grip will be aged as well or if it's going to be pristine like in that picture... I'm with you, Thranduil, I do think the grip needs to be a little worn like on the original.

Another thing I noticed about these swords is the very nice legible runes on the hilts, unlike that SDCC prototype posted on Weta's website.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

@Conan: Thanks for sharing. I decided to go with Satin. I was told that the difference between satin and mirror is more noticeable on the pommel than on the blade. So the satin blades are apparently quite shiny. So have u decided on the finish?

@Jamanticus: I'm really pumped after seeing those pics. Those runes look so much neater don't they! And the dark sapphires...mmmm.

I think the weathering is great. Unless u wanna get ur moneys worth for labour :p , i honestly think the current level of weathering is appropriate for a magical elven artifact as far as blade and hilt are concerned. Leather grip looks exactly the same as in the other two pics so this is probably just an pic example of the metal finish.

As an aside, on the schedule side of things my order has now been pushed back to April. Probably due to the movie. But how cool would it be if Peter Lyon were to produce our Glamdrings alongside the screen used ones?
Last edited by Aragorn on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

This is by far one of the hardest choices ive ever had to make as a collector.This may consume my thoughts for the next couple weeks. im completely torn, i kind of wish we got some pictures of the entire blade in a more organic setting instead of all black background.

If anyone else has any opinions feel free to share them im like a swing state in election time right now. Of course i missed out on this blade but still i may try to buy it off someone for their profit, and this goes with the Sting sword which i will no doubt be getting and now i cannot decide on which finish to get for it.
Last edited by Mithrandir on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@ Mithrandir
i have to honestly say you shouldnt get your hopes high on purchasing glamdring from a collector, i think anyone who commited to buy one is a die hard collector themselves and it would take a lot for them to ever give it up. Also keep in mind that sting could look completely different depending on the finish compared to glamdring, if i remember in the movie, sting actually looked very pristine compared to glamdring even if it was "aged"

@Aragorn I really cannot decide just yet, i have to think longer hahaha. feel free to share your ideas of the pros and cons of my choice :)

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]You must post pics when it comes! I really wanna see it![/quote]

Oh pics there will be.. Though You might end up scolding me for posting too many though!

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Oh boy oh boy! Exciting news! This and Rivendell, a great year for Weta indeed.[/quote]

Yes it is... What a great way to kick start the hobbit mania rivendell...glamdring... DDisturber of the peace. :crazy:

Great acquisitions to satiate our impatience as we await the 2012 screening.

[quote=""Aragorn""]I'll definitely be posting pics...but not sure about reviewing it though :P ... A bit difficult to review a masterpiece. So less of a review and more of impressions/personal thoughts.[/quote]
I'm totally looking forward to seeing this one. Lots of pics please. Outdoors in the sunlight if possible. :coolsmile

What finish did you order Aragorn? You probably stated somewhere earlier in the thread, but I don't want to go hunting.

Thanks Fin. Had a quick peek and looks like everything is ok :thumbs_up

And...WOW.

Ok.. Enough talking by me...i think you guys want pics haha, so I took a few quick photos. Will have to take better ones...these were indoors.

By the way, i really like how Peter Lyon's satin finish turned out... It is exactly what I had hoped for!

Note to self: must buy rubbing alcohol before i come home to clean her up and lube her with hanwei.

[quote=""Aragorn""]Wow. My gandalf sideshow maquette prize just came in as well!,

What a day! Gandalf maquette plus glamdring!!! What a great way to start the week.[/quote]

congrats aragorn!!
[quote=""Thranduil""]Congratulations Aragorn! :cheering: :cheers: :thumbs_up
As beautiful as I had anticipated.
You're right, the satin finish is gorgeous.
Did you buy the accessories?[/quote]

here is a pic of my set,my most prized possession and a dream to own!

Arise! Arise, riders of Théoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered - a sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride to ruin, and the world's ending! Forth Éorlingas!"

[quote=""Night Rider""]congrats aragorn!!

here is a pic of my set,my most prized possession and a dream to own!

[/quote]
Wow! Just as awesome as the piece itself Congrats to you as well NR :thumbs_up

[quote=""BladeCollector""]If I had the money I would definitely own at least one of these swords...[/quote]
I hear that. In my position I recognize that the cost for the sword alone will pay for every display I plan to make for my collection. Seeing that my collection awaits the displays; it's about priority.

I do clearly see the value of the dream here though. I'm sure there are those who consider such a purchase insane, but just seeing these pics tells me that holding one and knowing you're it's owner is a feeling that goes beyond cost.

Mastercard moment PRICELESS!

I have to say it's a joy to share these moments with you who have made these purchases. I'm happy for you, and even more happy you are part of this forum to share it with us. :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

[quote=""Night Rider""]come on aragorn,you promised lots of pics! :( [/quote]

Dam I should have taken some pics earlier tonight :embarasse ... I spent 45 minutes cleaning and reoiling it but was too engrossed with checking out every single detail...slipped my mind :P But Man Peter Lyon's craftsmanship is really flawless.

I will give you guys pics in daylight outdoors this weekend. :thumbs_up

Return to “Weta Workshop”