Re: Master Swordsmith Collection - Glamdring!!!

To Aragorn and (especially to) Night Rider (cause he got scab'n'belt):

Respect! :thumbs_up

My heart *literally* hurts just watching these pictures. It kills me not being
able to pull off a complete sweep of the collectibles I desire, and Glamdring
and Strider's Sword are at the very top of that list.

Nothing in this (or any other) world beats Master Swordsmith's Collection. It's
the greatest art/collectible line ever made.

Stunning beyond words. I salute you. :thumbs_up

*note* Take some time to check this thread:

http://www.ucforums.com/showthread.php?t=5045

Looking forward to see more pictures!

These photos were taken indoors during the day under natural light. I gave Glamdring a quick clean using 100% Isopropanol and left it un-oiled for this photoshoot so for those of you who are wondering what a Peter Lyon Satin Finish looks like, this is it: the sheen in the photos is 100% from the metal finish and not the oil (info for those who are still undecided on the finish).

Impressions:
First and foremost, paying top dollar does not alway guarantee you top quality (I have purchased a number of pretty costly stuff before and the craftmanship hasn't always matched the price tag). But this Weta Glamdring is just WOW!! *The craftsmanship is very fine indeed. The sword fittings/components are very tight and sits flush with each other. I have had the opportunity to closely inspect this item twice now and it is clear that Peter Lyon and Weta workshop pay close attention to the minor details in their craft and they live up to their huge reputation. From the cutting of the sapphire crystals to the folding of the leather grip to the way the blade sits in the crossguard, to the elven runes, everything is meticulously crafted.

The actual blade performance/handling is good (actually much better than I had anticipated). It has a good and manageable swing weight and balance. The swing weight and balance of the sword might be a tiny bit sluggish when swung one handed, but when wielded with two hands, this sword really comes to live and it feels very quick in the hands!! Incidentally, my Glamdring is unsharpened, so I suspect that sharpening it might perhaps improve the swing weight.
Also, the flex on the blade is good. When swung around the blade feels solid and stable and not whippy, but when cleaning the blade, I found that the blade has a good lateral flex that is consistent throughout the blade.*
Naturally, in order to fully e xp lore the performance of this blade, one would have to do practise cuts...but of course I would not be doing any of that, so that will be the full extent of my little e xp osition on the functional aspects to this sword.

I have seen a number of sword smiths on the internet, offering to make leaf shaped longswords/bastard swords (& there are a couple of big name sword smiths as well). I can't comment on the performance of their blades because I do not own any of them, but in my opinion, the blade of Peter Lyon's Glamdring is the most aesthetically pleasing (yes a little biased).

From a Movie Prop collectibility point of view, these Master Sword smith weapons are second to none. They will certainly be one of the highlights of any Lord of the Rings collection. For Star Wars collectors, the highlight of their collection would be a 1:1 scale Darth Vader costume or a 1:1 Han Solo in Carbonite...but for Lord of The Rings fans, these swords are IT (alongside other big ticket items like a 1:1 Sauron Armour set or the One Ring). The only way to top these swords would be to get the actual screen used hero props but then again, the condition would not be as pristine as these "made to order" swords (and you won't be paying 4 digits). Personally, I prefer my stuff pristine and I am pretty happy to own a piece that was forged by Peter Lyon himself, from the *very same smithy that is currently being used to make Hero Swords for the Hobbit Movie.

To sign off, I just want to say that now that I finally have Glamdring in my collection, I am ready for the Hobbit movies in 2012/2013 and the associated hustle and bustle of merchandising activity! Bring on Orcrist and Sting!!!

Plaque on Wooden Box

(Solid Timber box accounting for almost 90% of the 11kg shipping weight!!)

Photo to give you an idea of the depth of the grinds.

Last edited by Aragorn on Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:23 am, edited 6 times in total.

Nice to see a deep dark sapphire on that baby! :thumbs_up
Nice photos Aragorn, the craftsmanship is so very obvious in those close-ups.

And one more thing that makes these pieces worth every penny is that they are also in the UK Armory Museum; Not just a collectibles, but true museum pieces.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]Nice to see a deep dark sapphire on that baby! :thumbs_up
Nice photos Aragorn, the craftsmanship is so very obvious in those close-ups.

And one more thing that makes these pieces worth every penny is that they are also in the UK Armory Museum; Not just a collectibles, but true museum pieces.[/quote]

True that... I suppose it qualifies as museum quality collectible since the UK armory has possession of one! :P

Just glad to be able to share pics of my pride and joy with fellow sword nuts. :thumbs_up

I definitely encourage anyone who is thinking of getting the Sting to really go for it if possible.

[quote=""Thranduil""]Btw, where's Moonglum? He hasn't chimed in yet as to whether he has his or still waiting. :| [/quote]

Thanks for the mention Thrand. I haven't been on the boards in a while, but I do try to pop in and see what's new.

My part in the Master Swordsmith Collection had to stop after Anduril and Strider's Sword (both with scabbards and belts). And while I would not trade those 2 for anything, these pics of Glammy look absolutely stunning.

Congrats to the lucky few who got one of these swords! And thanks for posting pics!! For the vast majority of us, this is the only e xp osure we have to seeing what they really look like "in hand". Weta's photos are nice, but these in-hand pics are 100% better IMO. :thumbs_up

Aragorn,

This sword is out of this world. It's at the very top of the list of collectibles I
desire, along with Strider's Sword and Machaera.

Words cannot describe how much I love Mr. Lyon's work.

Congratulations once again! :cheers:

Nice review too.

It's quite impressive that so many owners of these blades were met on UCF.
There's just a handful of people in the world to possess these blades, and I
can count at least six of them here.

[quote=""ed209""]Aragorn,
It's quite impressive that so many owners of these blades were met on UCF.
There's just a handful of people in the world to possess these blades, and I
can count at least six of them here.[/quote]

Well, where else are you going to find a bunch of people who think it's perfectly sane to spend more on a sword than many would spend on a used car. :crazy:
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Well, where else are you going to find a bunch of people who think it's perfectly sane to spend more on a sword than many would spend on a used car. :crazy: [/quote]

That really does put it in perspective, Fin.....we are all of us crazy indeed. :D

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Aragorn""]By the way have you done a review of Anduril? Looking forwrd to it :p [/quote]
When hell freezes over, lol. After 18 months of waiting I doubt it :| .
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

hey guys its been a while! im glad to see some of you have gotten your glammys and they look amazing! i just got another message from Weta saying production of number 12 has been pushed back for november/december do to production of the hobbit movie.
The wait is becoming harder but after seeing what i have to look forward too i can be a little more patient :)

Still have yet to see any weathered glamdring pictures. this thread needs some of that ;)

[quote=""Conan""]Still have yet to see any weathered glamdring pictures. this thread needs some of that ;) [/quote]
Jaman hasn't been saying much lately so I assume his hasn't arrived yet. I'm sure he will be in here as fast as he unwraps his baby, and then we'll all get our first look at a weathered version :)

[quote=""Jamanticus""]Hroom! Barum!

Yep, I'm still here, just haven't thought of much to say in a good while.

I'm in the same boat as Conan with estimated dates of completion.[/quote]
It's got to be a little disappointing to hear you have to wait longer, but at the same time, at least you know it's a legitimate reason for the delay.

Quite a story to say, "I had to wait longer because Peter Lyon was too busy making swords for The Hobbit".

Mr. Lyon is quite the awesome person; I sent him an email with a question I had, and thought he probably doesn't have time to answer, or I may be waiting a long time for a response. Nope, got a reply within 4 days, and a lengthy one at that. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome back, Conan :thumbs_up

I do love the look of swords under glass in tables. Indeed, we have a member or two here who've done stunning displays in such a way, they feel very much like you're looking at a small space of Middle-earth with the items beneath and beside the sword itself. I think EmynMuil came up with a great display choice for his Glamdring as well. He's planning on having the sword in a museum case in his house so that he can admire all 360 degrees of it without removing it from the display.

Still have zero idea how I'm going to display mine at the moment. It may have to sit in my MC case until I come up with either some floor space or wall space.

Ooo, on a very nice note though, my Glamdring is being made right now! Weta's put this Friday as its completion date, provided Mr. Lyon doesn't have to slide it back a week in all the last-minute Hobbit work, so I am brimming with excitement! Even got myself a new camera to better capture the sword when it arrives (well, also for the reason that my old camera has kind of gotten broken).

EDIT: And yes, right now I am sooooo considering following in ed209's footsteps and taking a flight to NZ to see Mr. Lyon and the workshop in person... not sure I'll be able to, but every time I think of it, the thought makes more and more sense.
Last edited by Jamanticus on Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

[quote=""Jamanticus""]...Still have zero idea how I'm going to display mine at the moment. It may have to sit in my MC case until I come up with either some floor space or wall space....[/quote]

Well Jaman, there is still time to contact Weta and have them change the shipping address to mine, here in Arizona.

No need to keep it boxed up where it can't be admired.

I am more than willing to display your Peter Lyon Glamdring until you figure out how you want to show it off. :)

Will PM you my address right now! :D

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Jamanticus""]Thanks for the warm welcome back, Conan :thumbs_up

I do love the look of swords under glass in tables. Indeed, we have a member or two here who've done stunning displays in such a way, they feel very much like you're looking at a small space of Middle-earth with the items beneath and beside the sword itself. I think EmynMuil came up with a great display choice for his Glamdring as well. He's planning on having the sword in a museum case in his house so that he can admire all 360 degrees of it without removing it from the display.

Still have zero idea how I'm going to display mine at the moment. It may have to sit in my MC case until I come up with either some floor space or wall space.

Ooo, on a very nice note though, my Glamdring is being made right now! Weta's put this Friday as its completion date, provided Mr. Lyon doesn't have to slide it back a week in all the last-minute Hobbit work, so I am brimming with excitement! Even got myself a new camera to better capture the sword when it arrives (well, also for the reason that my old camera has kind of gotten broken).

EDIT: And yes, right now I am sooooo considering following in ed209's footsteps and taking a flight to NZ to see Mr. Lyon and the workshop in person... not sure I'll be able to, but every time I think of it, the thought makes more and more sense.[/quote]
No doubt EmynMuil has the best idea if you have the room for it (and you fill the base with cement so it can't get knocked over:crazy :) , but if you go to the wall, I'd suggest you seriously consider a corner cabinet with the backs having mirrors. The effect is excellent and also allows for full 360 degree view as long as the sword stands to the front of the cabinet. This also makes it look like there are three swords in the cabinet from certain angles.

Safe, secure, no need to remove it to see the entire sword, and not overly e xp ensive, or complicated to make.

What State on the East coast do you live in Jaman?
Last edited by Thranduil on Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm located in pastoral PA, Thranduil :thumbs_up

The mirrored cabinet idea is inspired- I'll have to put some thought into corners that'd be a good place for it, but I'm really liking the sound of it.

Continuing with the good news front, Glamdring No. 13 was completed yesterday, and it is now on its way here. When the shipping on the website said "freight," I thought it'd take the sword several weeks of transit to arrive when it was done, but it turns out it should arrive sometime next week :D

[quote=""Jamanticus""]I'm located in pastoral PA, Thranduil :thumbs_up

The mirrored cabinet idea is inspired- I'll have to put some thought into corners that'd be a good place for it, but I'm really liking the sound of it.

Continuing with the good news front, Glamdring No. 13 was completed yesterday, and it is now on its way here. When the shipping on the website said "freight," I thought it'd take the sword several weeks of transit to arrive when it was done, but it turns out it should arrive sometime next week :D [/quote]
Knowing it's on it's way has me excited for you. While you can't wait to get it; We can't wait to see pics!
Pics! PICS! Photos! Digital posts with awesome pixels! :)

Bleh, Glamdring's held up in Los Angeles customs. :( I worry about it just sitting there in a box.

Talked with the shipping company today and hopefully it'll be on its way here soon. (Turns out that customs wanted more information so they could slap more import fees on me. Nothing too bad, luckily)
Last edited by Jamanticus on Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[quote=""Jamanticus""]Bleh, Glamdring's held up in Los Angeles customs. :( I worry about it just sitting there in a box.

Talked with the shipping company today and hopefully it'll be on its way here soon. (Turns out that customs wanted more information so they could slap more import fees on me. Nothing too bad, luckily)[/quote]
Just out of curiosity, were you allowed to insure it? Any guaranteed delivery from their end?

[quote=""Jamanticus""]Bleh, Glamdring's held up in Los Angeles customs. :( I worry about it just sitting there in a box.

Talked with the shipping company today and hopefully it'll be on its way here soon. (Turns out that customs wanted more information so they could slap more import fees on me. Nothing too bad, luckily)[/quote]

Good luck! Glamdring from the Master Swordsmith Collection could safely be tagged as my Holy Grail... well that and an original 427 Shelby Cobra lol

[quote=""Thranduil""]Just out of curiosity, were you allowed to insure it? Any guaranteed delivery from their end?[/quote]
Insurance was something that, in my complete lack of thought, I had not talked to Weta about before they shipped out the sword :embarasse

Guaranteed delivery, like the insurance, was something I could have asked for but didn't think about. This'll definitely be a lesson to me about making sure I think about stuff like that in the future.

And Harristotle, thanks for the good wishes! :thumbs_up Moments after the sword arrives, I'll snap as many photos from as many angles as I can think of. Then, I think we'll have pictures up of all of the different finishes in the hands of collectors. There'll be the mirror finished one in the hands of seregon13 from Shadow and Flame, the satin finished version that our own Aragorn and Night Rider have, and then my aged ;)

[quote=""Jamanticus""]Insurance was something that, in my complete lack of thought, I had not talked to Weta about before they shipped out the sword :embarasse

Guaranteed delivery, like the insurance, was something I could have asked for but didn't think about. This'll definitely be a lesson to me about making sure I think about stuff like that in the future. [/quote]
OUCH!
That makes me very ascared. I'm sweatin bullets until you get it.
I sure hope it goes through all the right hands (honest hands).
That's very tempting steel to steal.
Do you have a tracking number?
Last edited by Thranduil on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Jamanticus""]Insurance was something that, in my complete lack of thought, I had not talked to Weta about before they shipped out the sword :embarasse

Guaranteed delivery, like the insurance, was something I could have asked for but didn't think about. This'll definitely be a lesson to me about making sure I think about stuff like that in the future.

And Harristotle, thanks for the good wishes! :thumbs_up Moments after the sword arrives, I'll snap as many photos from as many angles as I can think of. Then, I think we'll have pictures up of all of the different finishes in the hands of collectors. There'll be the mirror finished one in the hands of seregon13 from Shadow and Flame, the satin finished version that our own Aragorn and Night Rider have, and then my aged ;) [/quote]

Sounds good, I look forward to seeing it (as I'm sure you do as well)!

[quote=""Jamanticus""]Yep, I do at least have a tracking number. TNT is very good about shipping updates on this thing. As of right now, it's in the process of getting cleared by customs, so hopefully it'll be back on its way in a bit![/quote]

I had a good e xp erience with TNT so I think u should be ok.

There was a potentially tricky situation with my local customs regarding tax, but the courier settled everything pretty quickly.

But be prepared to have your breath taken away when u unbox glamdring...she is just freakishly stunning. :thumbs_up

Yeah, from the e xp erience I had with Glamdring's shipping, TNT's been a top-notch operation. Customs brokers who know what they're doing, quick service, good communication, all that.

Alright, Aragorn... thank you for the heads-up about the state I will be in when I see the sword. Mind you, I might very well do a jig as well! Glamdring is out for delivery, and I think I haven't been this excited for an item to arrive since my Museum Collection version. Pics in... well, hopefully less than 12 hours :thumbs_up (and here's hoping I can get pics as fine as the ones Aragorn took of his- mad camera skills you have, sir)

[quote=""Aragorn""]But be prepared to have your breath taken away when u unbox glamdring...she is just freakishly stunning. :thumbs_up [/quote]
When any of us unbox a sword it's been in who knows and who cares hands.
Psychologically, when you guys open your MSSC sword you Know who's hands it's been in; the very hands that crafted it. I'd say that is the "freakish" feeling.

When I worked for that guy who collected guns and he put that fifth revolver made by Sam Colt in my hands, I had a bit of that feeling myself. I can't imagining what it's like when you are also THE owner. :thumbs_up

Here's hoping today is arrival day for you Jaman. :)
I am SOOO looking forward to seeing this aged finish.

I think I now know what you mean, Thranduil (and congratulations on holding such a grand piece of history- a weapon made by the equalizer himself!)

Ooo, um, and I'm going to gush and ramble and all that for a long time now, just a warning.

Glamdring arrived today at 11:00 AM. Excellent packaging , which is good because in transit, the outer box got quite a big dent in it. Also, thankfully, no evidence that customs ripped open the box and played around with the sword.

Now, here I was thinking that nothing truly amazing would happen until after I unwrapped the sword from its cloth casing. Boy, I was wrong on that one.

Just lifting it out of the case, my jaw involuntarily dropped and I said, "It's so light!" (not true, since the sword is just under 4 pounds)... I thought with the leaf in the blade, the sword would feel top-heavy even with the finest craftsmanship, but that wasn't the case. The blade is so superbly-balanced with such sublime weight distribution that it seems alive in the hand- such a long sword, but it can be wielded all day. I hadn't even taken the cloth off the thing and I was already in awe of it!

After a while of just sitting there holding the cloth-encased sword, I remembered that I could unwrap it. Took the cloth off the hilt first, and then BA-ZAM!... I was staring at something extraordinary. Every detail about the hilt is elegant, imposing, and curvaceous (while somehow maintaining the form of a standard sword). Now, for the blade. Took the cloth off of that, then it hit me: this sword in my hands is downright otherworldly, yet strangely familiar and believable. Just like most everything else about Middle-earth, I imagine.

Okay, now onto the finish. This thing is gorgeous. I mean, even from the pictures, I wasn't prepared with how thorough and lovely the finish was. The pitting, the subtle reflections it made on the surface, the range and variety to it all combined into making this sword look absolutely magical. I look at this sword and I know that this blade has been around for a long, long time. At the same time, it's been cared for, it's resisted time's decay, just.... Mmmm, exactly how I imagined the sword would look.

My favorite thing about this sword though... I'd say it's the way the light reflects off of it. The domed pommel, the scalloping, the leaf to the blade, the curved crossguard, the hollow grinds; all of those things make a sword that never looks quite the same when you turn it in your hand.

Oh, and the sword is very pleasantly sharp, just the way I was hoping it would be.

Final thing about the sword! The sound! This is a musical sword. Bring the blade along a piece of linen and it makes a bright bell-like sound just like a movie sword. That also kinda floored me.

Peter Lyon, you're not just a master of your craft. You are a sword-making virtuoso.

Okay, sorry for that wall-o-text back there, here are some pictures of Glamdring No. 13 of Weta's Master Swordsmith's Collection. Any white stuff you see on the sword is buildup of the micro-crystalline wax that Mr. Lyon applied. Most of the buildup is around the sapphire on one side and the deeper pitting.

I may end up quadruple-posting. There are just so many amazing things to take pictures of with this sword. Stay tuned for more.
Last edited by Jamanticus on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks, N2Darkness! I have to say, it does feel good swinging a car around when it's this well-balanced. I've now put the sword two floors away from my computer so I won't constantly be running back to it to pick it up again, hehe. And pics, alrighty :D Here are some pics with the normal UC:

Last edited by Jamanticus on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Truly thrilled for you Jaman! :thumbs_up :cheers: :cheering:
Boy was I wrong about not wanting an aged finish, it really makes it beyond my e xp ectations by a few light years.

Can't quite read the inscription on the pommel, could you write it out here for us please?

The comparison photos are no comparison. Even the MC just doesn't touch that beauty. Mesmerizing.

I have a new idea for your display, just a thought. Let me get a sketch posted for you.

Really, really happy for you!
Remember; It's already worth more than you paid for it. Better than gold, it will always go up.

Congratulations.

Return to “Weta Workshop”