Re: Rivendell Environment

Here's a larger one.
Can't tell for sure but it looks like a walkway is off to the right.
If so, then those are people on it.
So that gives you an idea of the size of the falls.

Rivendell indeed! Good observation, Thrandy! :thumbs_up

http://twistedsifter.com/wp-content/upl ... brauer.jpg
Last edited by Deimos on Thu May 19, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Thats some beautiful scenery, I wonder if I could get my backyard to look like that... as for the Rivendell environment, as much as I would like to get it, I have never bought any of the WETA items ( I was more of a cough cough Blade cough cough collector, haha), I think I am going to treat myself to a replacement digital SLR camera as a graduation present. I had one and it got stolen about 6 months ago, and I have been wanting to replace it ever since, but they are so e xp ensive, its not something I could just buy one right away.

Wow, that picture does remind me of the Vale of Rivendell. Good catch guys!

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if about 250 of the 300 went to UCForums members, Shadow and Flame members, and SS Freaks members. Awful lot of people saying that they got one.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Here's a better link to the picture I posted earlier.
Thanks Deimos for the additional shot, it adds more impact to the point.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rosamato/1 ... otostream/
Can you imagine the set built there?
Never happen seeing it's a national park, but hey, I can see it sitting there.

And Val, didn't you say you're planning to visit Croatia?
Planning a visit to this park so you can soak up some middle earth memories?
Last edited by Thranduil on Thu May 19, 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]And Val, didn't you say you're planning to visit Croatia?
Planning a visit to this park so you can soak up some middle earth memories?[/quote]

I was indeed planning to do a two-stop trip this summer, to Portugal and Croatia, but we had to cut Croatia out of the equation until next year, so I will be going to Portugal only. However, I do plan to show my girlfriend that photo, ask her about that place, then go there next time. :)
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Olorin""]I note that the "art print" isn't even finished yet...and it sounds like it's going to be a "how we made this thing" poster.... :huh: [/quote]

Yeah :( it sounds a little lame, I'm just glad the environment will be numbered. I wish it was just a picture of Rivendell itself (by Alan Lee) or something.

[quote=""Arwyniel""] I wish it was just a picture of Rivendell itself (by Alan Lee) or something.[/quote]

That would be great. My ultimate pipe dream for this would be a print of Tolkien's own painting of Rivendell which was published in The Hobbit. Of course, the Estate controls that and would never authorize such a thing, probably (although they did once allow a poster of Tolkien's painting of Bilbo Comes to the Huts of the Raft Elves).

My second-best pipe dream would be an art print of Ted Nasmith's Rivendell: http://www.tednasmith.com/lotr1/TN-Rivendell.html
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

So while i was day dreaming while trying to study...a question about LOTR environments came to mind. I was hoping someone might know the answer to this (and apologize if it's been asked before - i couldn't find any thread).

How well do the enviro's between the 3 main lines compare to one another in terms of scale? As i only have the Danbury Mint enviro's...it's hard to compare them based on stats alone...

I see that (from the official websites):

Danbury Mint:
Minas Tirith - 9.5'' high, 11'' wide
Barad Dur - 13 3/8'' high

Sideshow Weta:
Minas Morgul - (no info)
Orthanc - 11.75'' high, 2.5'' wide
Amon Hen - 3.5'' H, 5.25'' W, 9'' L
Bucklebury Ferry - (as Amon Hen)
Helms Deep - 6'' H, 7.25'' W, 11'' D
Golden Hall - 4.5'' H, 7.25'' W, 11'' D
Mines of Moria - 7.5'' H, 7.5'' W, 12'' D
Weathertop - 4'' H, 5.5'' W, 9'' D

WETA:
Argonath - 6.3'' H, 11'' W, 7.5'' D
Prancing Pony - 3.9" H, 9.8" W, 7.5" D
Bag End - 5.9'' H, 11.8'' W, 7.1'' D
Rivendell - 7.9'' H, 18.1'' W, 12.2'' D

So is the same scale being used within the same company? And how different is the scale being used b/w companies?

Thanks!
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Being an owner of some environments from all 3 companies (but Weta and Sideshow/Weta are basically the same thing as the artists actually doing the sculpting are the same people) I think in terms of scale it all depends on what works in terms of the best representation for that environment without being to small or too big. Hope some of that helps. I also think DM did a great job for a very decent price. I for one was really hoping they would have done an Orthanc in a slightly larger scale then Weta.

Here are the only pictures of mine that I could find with the environments. They are quite old, at least 6 years + so nothing from the current WETA line is pictured. However, the Argonath bookends are pretty much identical in size to the full environment piece. IMO, I think they all look really well together. To me, the DM Minas Tirith may look a bit larger than the others, but I don't mind it at all.

DM Barad Dur & Orthanc:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/A ... Towers.jpg

The Minas Morgul is on the same scale as the Minas Tirith that came with the ROTK giftset (since they were meant to be bookends.)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/A ... ptures.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/A ... /Books.jpg
Last edited by Arwyniel on Sun May 22, 2011 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""N2darkness""]Being an owner of some environments from all 3 companies (but Weta and Sideshow/Weta are basically the same thing as the artists actually doing the sculpting are the same people) I think in terms of scale it all depends on what works in terms of the best representation for that environment without being to small or too big. Hope some of that helps. I also think DM did a great job for a very decent price. I for one was really hoping they would have done an Orthanc in a slightly larger scale then Weta.[/quote]
I was afraid you'd say something along those lines...lol. I guess i just wanted to know how well the pieces fit together... But - if they were built for the "best representation" - i would have hoped that some pieces were made a bit larger...so as to appreciate the detail more. The small scale of some enviro's made me question how badly i wanted it. Or maybe i was just too spoiled by the great scale/price/detail of DB...lol.

[quote=""Arwyniel""]Here are the only pictures of mine that I could find with the environments. They are quite old, at least 6 years + so nothing from the current WETA line is pictured. However, the Argonath bookends are pretty much identical in size to the full environment piece. IMO, I think they all look really well together. To me, the DM Minas Tirith may look a bit larger than the others, but I don't mind it at all.

DM Barad Dur & Orthanc:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/A ... Towers.jpg

The Minas Morgul is on the same scale as the Minas Tirith that came with the ROTK giftset (since they were meant to be bookends.)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/A ... ptures.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/A ... /Books.jpg[/quote]

Thanks Arwyneil! I knew i could count on you for some comparison pictures! :thumbs_up :thumbs_up Are there any enviro's that you do NOT have?? lol I'm sure you could set up a large table size 3D map. using your models as part of it ;)

[quote=""Jash""]
Thanks Arwyneil! I knew i could count on you for some comparison pictures! :thumbs_up :thumbs_up Are there any enviro's that you do NOT have?? lol I'm sure you could set up a large table size 3D map. using your models as part of it ;) [/quote]

lol, you are welcome! Yes, I have all of the environments so far. Your idea sounds pretty neat...I may have to look into it someday! :thumbs_up

I must say, one future environment that I'm really looking forward to is Erebor, the Lonely Mountain. I really hope they do it, complete with the River Running coming out of it and the ruins of Dale at the base. :thumbs_up

One set piece from LOTR I feel they really missed out on (but could still be done) is the the Morannon, the Black Gates of Mordor.
This Space for Rent

I can't wait for Hobbit enviros too. Beorn's Hall will be a good one too, and Laketown. Erebor will be the jem of those though.

Word on the street is that Weta has something(s) new coming out soon. Could be another environment? Popular suggestions are Barad-dur and an pre-ruin Orthanc.

Yeah, the Danbury MT and BD will be next to impossible to beat. I guess Weta can try their hand at cashing in on with those few people who didn't get them, but I kinda see this as a pointless venture. Unless those sculptures are positively out of this world, I will be keeping my money.
This Space for Rent

Well, anyone who missed out on a DM one will want them. Plus, some people are just diehard Weta fans and would rather have one made by them. DM's MT will be hard to beat but I think Weta could definitely top BD, especially by not including that stupid eye.

The nice thing about the Danbury BD is that you can actually remove the eye. Just ask my cat, she removed and possibly ate my first eye and I've never seen it since. Danbury was kind enough to replace it for free. :thumbs_up

But you're right, this would be a good chance for any folks that missed out on MT and BD. I'm just not sure their sales will be what they hope them to be though.
This Space for Rent

I'm guessing that with the recent hype over the Environment line, they'd get enough sales. Not Rivendell figures, but enough sales.

There's a lot of talk about a "companion piece" to the Orthanc environment. More of an Isengard environment, before the destruction, with trees and maybe the wall and whatnot. I think the problem with that is that in order for it to be a side by side comparison piece with the original, they'd have to keep it the same scale. When you're adding that much stuff too it, a bigger base is needed, so that could muck up the scale a bit. I think if they're going for Isengard, they need to just have at it and not worry about the scale of the original. Yeah, you don't want to upset current owners who want both but to be honest I think most people buying this one are going to be people who missed out on the original SSW Orthanc and can't afford one now at their somewhat ridiculous going rate these days.

I think it's good idea, but they should go all out on it, you know? No restricting themselves to the base and scale of the first one. A full Isengard enviro has serious potential. :thumbs_up

I hope they throw some cheaper ones in the mix though. I want the Doors of Durin! That would be really cool, especially at like $100. :D

[quote=""Olorin""]I missed out on Orthanc also. It was the Sideshow Orthanc...was there also a more recent Weta Orthanc?[/quote]

(Technically it was the Sideshow/Weta Orthanc.) ;)
There has been talk from Weta in their current line to incorporate a pre-ruin Orthanc at some point.

Sign me up for an Orthanc! :)
When i first saw the movies -Orthanc and Minas Tirith were 2 environments i knew i must have if they were ever released! Unfortunately...i missed out on one of them...lol. I was also really hoping for a Helm's Deep replica...but the small scale of the Sideshow/Weta model just did not do it for me...

I'm ok with the current Helm's Deep, even if a slightly bigger one would have been nicer. What I'm horribly disappointed in is the practically non-existent paint job on it. The ground, rocks, wall, tower, fortress - basically *everything* - is the exact same drab, non-painted polystone grey tone. The only tiny splash of colour is the little creek that meanders out from the hole in the wall. :|
This Space for Rent

Me too, BC.

My enviros and sculptures collection in general is rather small compared to many other folks here, and I really wish now that I'd made an effort to collect more, because the price on some of those older pieces is ridiculous now. However, focus and priorities in our lives do shift from time to time, and together with all the UC stuff coming out back then, along with some of the Noble items, only those rare few with huge amounts of disposable income could keep up, and I simply was not one of them. So, my regret is a two-sided coin in this case because all that money I didn't spend on this stuff went toward other worthwhile things, like owning a home, buying a new car, and seeing more of the world. Now, I'm starting to get the collecting itch again, but I'm going to take it nice and easy on scratching that itch this time. Since the Lothlorien Bow all that time ago, the Rivendell statue will be my first LOTR collectible in quite a while, so I think I'm really going to continue pacing myself and be very choosy as to what I spend my limited funds on. :coolsmile
This Space for Rent

Ditto Ditto Val & BC.
Available funds for such collecting in terms of getting everything was Impossible.
While having enviro's and statues would be great, the next issue becomes space.

N2's collection theater room is a good example, it's appears to be a pretty large room and that one sword display case has how many swords side by side?

My vision for displaying my collection becomes an environment of its own.

All in all, coming here and seeing other members collections and displays has redirected my path, but not enough for me to consider adding environments/statues.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]Ditto Ditto Val & BC.
Available funds for such collecting in terms of getting everything was Impossible.
While having enviro's and statues would be great, the next issue becomes space.

N2's collection theater room is a good example, it's appears to be a pretty large room and that one sword display case has how many swords side by side?

My vision for displaying my collection becomes an environment of its own.

All in all, coming here and seeing other members collections and displays has redirected my path, but not enough for me to consider adding environments/statues.[/quote]

11 but who counting :thumbs_up All seriousness aside, I am out of room and if I find another sword I have to have, something has to go. Out with the old (or undesirable) and in with the new. I just hope there is only a few item I want from the Hobbit as I can't do this all over again :'(

I have some wall space for a few more UC LOTR swords, but space is getting pretty dang limited. I just don't have a lot of shelf room and what I do have is pretty much completely filled up (DVD collection, LOTR helms and displays of a lot of the Hibben line and UC legends in steel series, Star Trek glasses, Lion-O statues) , so to be honest, although I wish I could have collected the enviros and statues, I really don't have a lot of shelf space to display them

Most of my collectibles are in storage in my basement. :( Unless I finish the basement, I don't really have any room to display the collectibles I have, let alone more. However that did not stop me from ordering Rivendell. It will be my first collectible in several years, since, oh I don't know, maybe 2005?

Despite the difficulty in getting some items, I'm almost glad that I started collecting late. I still have TONS of space. My only problem is finding a way to display them that doesn't look too crowded, due to the fact that my display room isn't very big. You know me, always gotta have my stuff looking classy. :)

Man, all this talk has got me fired up about these. I've been thinking of what other enviros they could possibly come up with for the older LOTR run, and suddenly hit upon the mother lode: the Grey Havens. Now, in order to properly convey the sombre majesty of that abandoned city as seen in the final scene of the movies, it would require a pretty big sculpture, but I think they could do an absolutely amazing job. The cherry on top of the cake would be a little miniature of that swan ship in the harbour, or maybe sailing out by the cliffs.

Bring on Mithlond, I say! :thumbs_up

P.S. - And why stop there? Bring on Caras Galadhon after that.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]P.S. - And why stop there? Bring on Caras Galadhon after that.[/quote]
With lights :P

[quote=""Fingolfin""]
http://www.wetacollectors.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=35780[/quote]

Moria Cemetery? I don't even remember that!

I have to admit, I was a bit underwhelmed by the depiction of Lorien in the movie. The architecture was fine, but the trees were very mundane apart from their size. For one thing, the leaves should have been yellow. Mellyrn turned pale gold in autumn and held their leaves until spring. Here's a quote from Unfinished Tales, courtesy of the ever-handy Wikipedia:
Its bark was silver and smooth, and its boughs somewhat upswept after the manner of the beech; but it never grew save with a single trunk. Its leaves, like those of the beech but greater, were pale green above and beneath were silver, glistering in the sun; in the autumn they did not fall, but turned to pale gold. In the spring it bore golden blossom in clusters like a cherry, which bloomed on during the summer; and as soon as the flowers opened the leaves fell, so that through spring and summer a grove of malinorni was carpeted and roofed with gold, but its pillars were of grey silver. Its fruit was a nut with a silver shale.
Jackson's Golden Wood didn't look very golden to me.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]I agree, Lorien was nice but could've been better. I wonder if they'd do a Caras Galadhon environment in the nighttime blue or the gold we see in the day?[/quote]

I didn't really mind the nighttime blue in the night scenes, but they had it mid-summer green in the day scenes.

Return to “Weta Workshop”