MSSC - Sting (predictions and debate)

Nope, Sting is not even announced yet, and it won't be announced anytime
soon (some customers' Glamdring swords are scheduled for autumn 2011, not
to mention all that work on "Hobbit"). But here are some personal thoughts
and concerns already.

Unlike Andúril, Strider's Sword and Glamdring, Sting is going to be quite
different from film's originals. It's going to be actor-scaled and it's vine design
around the handle will be embossed. With that marvelous upgrade (and
practically everything else that comes with MSSC), for me it's definitely
preferred version. And still, there's something bugging me.

When I got MSSC Andúril, I sold my UC's LE edition. I did it to get some cash,
but also to keep logic of the planned LOTR wall. Two similar-looking Andúrils
would kill that logic.

But what about Sting? It's not nearly as easy. If I ever get this new, better-
looking edition, I can't (nor do I want to) sell UC's MC version, because it's
screen-accurate. And I can't display the new Sting on that same wall (killing
logic). Then again, if I display it separately, it's getting away from Andúril,
and they both belong to the same collection!

In the end, I'll probably be forced to skip new Sting, but just in case I get a
chance, I need to be clear with what to do.

What would be the best possible solution?

Re: MSSC - Sting (predictions and debate)

Wait ed, I'm confused. By "actor-scale", do you mean that Sting is going to be a full-sized sword and not "hobbit-sized"? I was under the impression it was going to be smaller, like the size of UC's Unlimited and MC versions.

And nice picture by the way, I love the vine design on the handle. I wonder if this is what Thranduil meant when he talked about customizing his UC Sting?
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Fingolfin""]That will be the ultimate sword for Tolkien/Lord of the Rings collectors when The Hobbit is released.[/quote]

I can't agree with you. I think they're gonna go with the "old Sting" to keep
consistency. It would be too late to change that now. And although it's
stunningly beautiful, I still couldn't ditch MC screen-accurate piece. It's less
impressive now, but it's canon.

If there's really some ultimate Tolkien/LOTR sword for "The Hobbit" release, it
would be Glamdring.

;)

[quote=""Fingolfin""]I wish I could afford to just fly to the Weta Cave and see them in person![/quote]

MSSC swords are not displayed in Weta Cave (there are some screen-used
aluminum swords beautifully framed, be patient, I'll post). This is a photo from
San Diego ComicCon where MSSC was presented for the first time. A historic
moment, if you ask me.

:cheers:

[quote=""ed209""]
MSSC swords are not displayed in Weta Cave (there are some screen-used
aluminum swords beautifully framed, be patient, I'll post). This is a photo from
San Diego ComicCon where MSSC was presented for the first time. A historic
moment, if you ask me.

:cheers: [/quote]

I knew that those shots came from SDCC because I've seen them before, but I didn't know that the MSCC isn't on display in the Cave. You learn something every day I suppose. :thumbs_up

[quote=""ed209""]Yeah, check it out; it's definitely bigger than UC's. This is Elijah-sized sword.

[/quote]
That photo sure shows the size of Sting in "human form". I've seen that before but didn't take notice at that time.

I see your dilemma with your display issue, tough call. At least you have about a year to ponder it.

At the moment I lean toward the MC sting on your LOTR wall because it's hobbit sized and because not all your LOTR's are going to be MSSC. Perhaps a coffee table with a glass top for the MSSC Sting like N2's?? is that right, who has their Shards in their table?
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Grr, you beat me to it Jaman. :P Blu's is a coffee table display, Andrews is more just a display than a functional table...but then again, Andrews has a bunch of other really cool stuff on it too!

ed, that idea might not be a bad one. What could be better than looking down on the MSSC Sting while taking your morning cup? :D

[quote=""Alexander""]Although not screen accurate they sure looking amazing next to each other. You could do a Master Collection separate but then you would have to get another Anduril LE :P . Yeah maybe just a separate Hobbit section?[/quote]

I wouldn't recommend advising the Spaniard to change his ultimate plans for his collection...considering how sharp his Anduril is, it may be the last thing you ever do. Just warning you. :P

Kidding of course. :crazy:

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Grr, you beat me to it Jaman. :P Blu's is a coffee table display, Andrews is more just a display than a functional table...but then again, Andrews has a bunch of other really cool stuff on it too!

ed, that idea might not be a bad one. What could be better than looking down on the MSSC Sting while taking your morning cup? :D [/quote]

I get confused who has what.
And lets not get confused even more with the Andrew's. Thrandrew does not have a coffee table display. ;)
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""timdp""]Can't figure out why they would make the over sized version as opposed to the "real" size. Bigger = more impressive?

The "real" sword is 22" or so in our world while the "actor scale" sword does not belong in any world. Its purely a byproduct of digital manipulation.

Tim[/quote]

Uhm... don't you have that backwards? :huh:

While I share your sentiment and much prefer the hobbit-sized version as the 'official' version, the actor-scale sword (bigger) is in fact the "real" size in the sense that it is the same size as the one wielded by Elijah Wood. It is that digital manipulation you speak of that reduced both the actor and Sting onscreen. I think I get what you're saying but it sounds backwards.
This Space for Rent

We are probably saying the same thing... My point is that if you or I were happened to find Sting in the troll cave from the Hobbit, it would be 22" long. The "actor" version had to be larger (27"?) than the "real" size because they digitally shrunk Elijah Wood down to hobbit size and the sword shrunk along with him. After the actor Sting was shrunk digitally it appear to be 22" inches long to the actors in the movie and us in the audience.

The larger sword is never seen in its full size in the movie and would not exist in the real world except for the fact that they needed to make it larger so it could be digitally shrunk. I can't see any reason to make a replica of it, much less a very, very e xp ensive replica. I won't ever own one, so the point is moot for me. It may be an issue for the people buying them.

Tim

[quote=""Valkrist""]Uhm... don't you have that backwards? :huh:

While I share your sentiment and much prefer the hobbit-sized version as the 'official' version, the actor-scale sword (bigger) is in fact the "real" size in the sense that it is the same size as the one wielded by Elijah Wood. It is that digital manipulation you speak of that reduced both the actor and Sting onscreen. I think I get what you're saying but it sounds backwards.[/quote]

I have an off topic question. i assume there are threads hidden around that show all the "coffee table" and other displays for said lord of the rings swords and sting. could some good semeritan point me in the direction of those threads/pictures as i was hoping to get some ideas to display sting. How unoriginal i feel now as i thought of a coffee table display the second i got my mc sting lol.

on topic though it appears you were all right. the Master swordsmith edition will be 27' and i am very heartbroken about this as one could imagine.

Return to “Weta Workshop”