Re: New Weta everywhere you look!

Well, at the very least, I'm hoping that the likely good sales of this piece will give them the encouragement they need to continue making new pieces. Overpriced pieces that I can hunt for the rest of my life as a hobby are a heck of a lot better than no pieces at all. They sure are nice, at least it's something. It just stings at this point in time. :|
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

To add insult to injury, I placed Beorn's House in my cart just to see what shipping would be, and it calculated it to $82 USD. Are you frickin' kidding me?!? This is not a large or heavy box by any means, and it would ship from the US, yet it costs just as a much as Sauron's Mace or the Legolas Bow to ship, two boxes which are enormous by comparison!!!

This is getting more laughable/ridiculous by the hour. :angry:
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Fingolfin""]On another note, Idril, if you're going to Supanova could you look into those exclusive art prints that were mentioned in the newsletter for us? They look very cool! :coolsmile [/quote]

If they allow people to buy more than one, I can pick one up for people, if you are willing to pay costs to buy and ship. They are likely to be around $60 each. That's aussie $. Not sure on shipping but it would be a small tube I think.

The truth is Weta is charging what they are charging because... They can. And they know it. Their pricing model for their statues and environments are quite reflective of industry standard.

Collectibles by nature have a very inelastic demand meaning that as collectors our collective demand as a group is very price insensitive.

So they know they can increase the price high to maximise profits.

This is really part and parcel of buying all these collectibles. Every time someone like me says no on a purchase, there is a hundred other people who would gladly drop their hard earned cash for the particular collectible. So the game will not change.

That's why these days I much rather enjoy them vicariously through other people's pictures many of whom are very willing to share multiple pictures from different angles and under different lighting.

[quote=""Valkrist""]Whoa!!! I may have spoken too soon in more than one respect! $279?!? C'mon, this is getting ridiculous. Of course I have the choice of not buying it, but it's not fair to hold someone hostage over something they really want by giving it such a high price. I was thinking to myself that $200 might be top dollar for this thing, and Weta proves me wrong by a mile. The 750 LE thing is a huge factor in the price inflation, of course, and just like the Argonath and Azog, this thing will be on eBay in about three months for $750 starting bid.

Getting really sick of this game. :( [/quote]

Personally I think there are still many ways to enjoy this hobby without having to buy every new shiny thing that is on sale.

I enjoy picking and choosing what I buy, only pulling the trigger on things that fit narrowly within the scope of my drastically reduced collection.

I enjoy seeing pictures of people's home improvement projects to better showcase their collections.

Obviously there's the community aspect to it. Interacting with oththe collectors is also a big part of the fun.

I'm sure there are lots of other good ways without having to fork out $500 every single month.

[quote=""Aragorn""]The truth is Weta is charging what they are charging because... They can. And they know it. Their pricing model for their statues and environments are quite reflective of industry standard. [/quote]

That pretty much sums it up right there.

The sad irony is, for all my ranting and fist-shaking, I watched yesterday as the first run of this new sculpture sold out already in one of the warehouses, and realized that, as I was predicting, it will soon be sold out altogether, and then your only chance of getting it will be on ebay for 3x or 4x the price.

With my tail between my legs, I ordered one. Not because I want to make money off it, but simply because I wanted this sculpture the moment I saw it previewed, and because I'm not going to get caught overpaying more than I already am.

It the end, it really boots nothing to complain about these things when deep down you had told yourself already that you would buy it. The compulsion takes hold, and the spectre of a sold out item and regret are powerful motivators. One effect this all has though is to make me want the end of all this to come sooner rather than later, because at this rate, it won't be long until these prices are no longer sustainable. Not unless you cut yourself down to one, maybe two statues per year. :(
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]I watched yesterday as the first run of this new sculpture sold out already in one of the warehouses
[/quote]

I spoke to Leonard about this last night. Apparently the UK warehouse is the biggest and has the highest sales. Europe is Weta's biggest market.

Shame you broke too soon Val - I had a treasure card with your name on it. :|
If you haven't seen it yet in person, you will be amazed. Mine is in the mail and I will post a photo of it beside the Argonath and Bag End. (Yes, agreeing to disagree re the sculpture being more detailed than the Argonath :coolsmile )

On SDCC news - a new environment will be showcased - but only the prototype. So plenty of time to decide whether you want it when it goes up, even for pre-order.

[quote=""Idril""]...
On SDCC news - a new environment will be showcased - but only the prototype. So plenty of time to decide whether you want it when it goes up, even for pre-order.[/quote]

Not being one who stays on top of impending Weta releases (or UC re-releases :P ) is the nature of this new environment known, even via rumour? Or is that info kept tightly under wraps so as to make for a spectacular debut?

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Idril""]... .Shame you broke too soon Val - I had a treasure card with your name on it. [/quote]

Maybe he can cancel his order and start over using the Treasure card....?

[quote=""Idril""]Shame you broke too soon Val - I had a treasure card with your name on it. :| .[/quote]

Well, given that the UK warehouse sold out so fast, I think you can hardly fault me for that. ;)

What, pray tell, is a Treasure Card? I'm not down with all this Weta lingo you crazy kids throw about. Not trying to make a case for still getting it, whatever it is, but I did have to spend all my Weta dollars to make buying Beorn's House at least semi-palatable. One thing I can't forgive Weta for are their horrid and disproportionate shipping rates to Canada. Sadly, I was saving those.dollars for either Bard or Faramir, but Weta forced my hand. :(
This Space for Rent

I don't think the new environment is known even by rumour. I saw it as a wip in January but that non-disclosure agreement prevents me from saying more. Yesterday I saw new photos of it complete but not painted. I was told the plans are to showcase it at SDCC.

@val - I haven't been called a kid for a while :) . A treasure card is a code weta give you when you visit their comic con type stalls. You look it up online to see what goodies it offers. Sometimes up to 30% off.

[quote=""Idril""]I don't think the new environment is known even by rumour. I saw it as a wip in January but that non-disclosure agreement prevents me from saying more. Yesterday I saw new photos of it complete but not painted. I was told the plans are to showcase it at SDCC.

@val - I haven't been called a kid for a while :) . A treasure card is a code weta give you when you visit their comic con type stalls. You look it up online to see what goodies it offers. Sometimes up to 30% off.[/quote]

Jan I think you never been called a kid right. ;)

[quote=""Idril""]Actually Johnny - it is a casual word for a child and is used practically all the time. (Although any English teacher wouldn't teach you that)[/quote]

Your English teacher would be woefully ignorant of....English.
The use of the word "kids" or more commonly "kiddies" for children dates back to the 1600s... at least in England it was in use.

(Don't know about y'all down under...weren't you still a penal colony at that time? ...and proper English didn't matter?...jk :D )

Anyway, I got into an argument with my pastor over using "kids", he saying that it was a modern development and its like equating children to animals.
I had to drag out my OED (volume 8) to prove it otherwise to him.

(And in so far as equating children with animals, having seen the way some kids are allowed to behave, well, we won't go there...).

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming :)

English is not my native language, but I've never taken kids to mean anything other than children.

At any rate, since S&F is down, anyone care to speculate what that mystery environment is that Weta is going to unveil? It's not the Green Dragon, as that cat's out of the bag, so what could it be? We're about due for another big LOTR enviro, but with a few Hobbit locales still a possibility, the choices are numerous.

If it is LOTR, my pick is Minas Tirith or Grey Havens.

If it is Hobbit, my pick is Lake-town or Dol Guldur.

I would like to think Rhosgobel is a possibility but I don't think we ever got a good, full look at the exterior.
Last edited by Valkrist on Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Idril""]Thanks Deimos, I stand corrected. I can't be e xp ected to be good at the language gov'nor - this is a convict settlement[/quote]

:D :D :D Too funny!

Bolg is up for pre-order and no sooner did he appear than his first shipment to the UK warehouse sold out immediately. Idril, you weren't kidding when you said Europe is Weta's biggest market. Unfortunately, I think it also has the highest number of for-profit resellers.

Priced at $279, which is the same as Beorn's House, I'm actually quite surprised as I e xp ected him to be at least $300, like Bard. The edition size is 1000.

It's a very nice statue, and though my bad guy purchases are confined only to the big names, I really like it. Unlike Azog, he's actually part of the story, so I would consider it, but my shelf space is nearly at an end and there are other characters I want more. If PJ had stuck to the original concept for the character, I think I would not have hesitated to pick him up.
This Space for Rent

I'm surprised that Bolg sold out that fast. He didn't play that big of a role in the movie. I wasn't e xp ecting him to be a super popular seller. How big was the ES?

As far as that new environment, I would not be surprised if it was Rhoshobel, but I'm thinking that since they're showing a prototype and not a finished product, it's probably something highly anticipated. That makes me guess LotR environment, which could be Minas Tirith or even Grond.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]I'm surprised that Bolg sold out that fast. He didn't play that big of a role in the movie. I wasn't e xp ecting him to be a super popular seller. How big was the ES?[/quote]

I'm surprised too, but at least he is a named character in the book, which gives him a slight advantage with fans of the books. I mentioned in my post that the ES is 1000, which seems to be the standard these days for character statues.

Also, he's not really sold out yet, just the first UK shipment, which is also the largest, so it won't be long before he's gone altogether.
This Space for Rent

I restrict my poly purchases these days. Like Val, no space. I have to think Bolg looks great though. That armour dug into the flesh..... Creepy. The price is good for that size piece.

Also, SDCC is going to be e xp ensive for me Weta wise. I have now heard of 4 pieces to be showcased there, 3 of which are instant buys for me and the other one likely too. I'll have to seriously think about another display case.

[quote=""Idril""]....Also, SDCC is going to be e xp ensive for me Weta wise. I have now heard of 4 pieces to be showcased there, 3 of which are instant buys for me and the other one likely too. I'll have to seriously think about another display case.[/quote]

Not knowing what environment is going to be showcased IS KILLING ME!
I cannot stand the suspense! Aaarrrrgh!

[quote=""Idril""]I have now heard of 4 pieces to be showcased there, 3 of which are instant buys for me and the other one likely too. I'll have to seriously think about another display case.[/quote]

I'm really hoping one of those four pieces will be Eomer. Or even better yet, Eomer on Firefoot. :thumbs_up

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""Idril""] Also, SDCC is going to be e xp ensive for me Weta wise. I have now heard of 4 pieces to be showcased there, 3 of which are instant buys for me and the other one likely too. I'll have to seriously think about another display case.[/quote]

Hiya Idril!

I e xp ect that SDCC will be a great unveil but thankfully most of the "new" items are not all on sale at the show. So we have a bit more time to get some more cash for donate to the cause.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Hmm, wall mounted maybe?[/quote]

It could also be free-standing, as in it sits on the floor rather than a shelf. That's really the only alternative to wall-mounted, however unlikely. I can't think of anything that would be large enough to be a floor sculpture though, and if there was, I think the price would make us all faint.

I'm sure Idril is getting a good guffaw at our speculation. ;)

Personally, insofar as characters, I would like Eomer, Beorn, and Pippin in Fellowship clothes and I could consider my collection done. I know it's not a popular choice, but I would personally prefer Eomer on foot primarily because the mounted statues require lots of space (and more $$$.)

Aside from those three, the only other possibilities that would make me waver would be the Mouth of Sauron and Gil-galad.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Glassary""]Hiya Idril!

I e xp ect that SDCC will be a great unveil but thankfully most of the "new" items are not all on sale at the show. So we have a bit more time to get some more cash for donate to the cause.[/quote]

Hi Glassary. I hope you are well.

Yes, I think only one is likely to be up for pre-order or for sale around SDCC time.

At this stage I'm happy that half the stuff I know about is from Lotr, and I don't know all the SDCC surprises. :crazy:

Weta has entered the realm of "make-anything-and-everything-related-to-the-Hobbit-and-we-should-make-at-least-some-profit".

Or maybe they entered it quite a while ago.... :P

Yeah, they are falling into the same pattern that Noble Collection was into from the start. Honestly, I'm not sure who buys this "inspired by" stuff, but there's obviously a market somewhere or these companies wouldn't bother. I guess as true replica collectors we are a bit snobbish about these things, but some folks like to buy this type of fantasy jewellery that isn't necessarily a copy of something that was worn in the movies. It's one thing to get into fridge magnets, pins, and bookmarks, but it's a bit odd that Weta is now tapping this market also. Ah well, I'll pass, thank you. :huh:
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]You had me going for a second. I was like "oh no, what am I going to spend money on now?!?" :D

You're a bad woman, Idril.[/quote]

:laugh:

I guess we live in a ME collecting bubble a lot - at least I do. Talking to a Weta person a while ago. They said the big seller for them is DOTA2. :huh: I guess that is why they just advertised for a game designer.

Valkrist, a big reason they have a lot of that smaller "trinket" type stuff is for customers who come casually into the Weta Cave in Wellington and want to take back souvenirs or buy gifts or just aren't in the market for a giant stone statue of a dragon. :laugh:

In case you missed it, the Oin the Dwarf statue is now up for sale. I LOVE this dwarf statue; they've all been good, but not all have been great. This one I think is one of the better ones. Oin and Gloin would (will) look great together.

Also, another quick reminder since this is the Weta thread: The new Weta forum is up. The Shadow and Flame mods and community have started a new forum with Weta's help called the Flame of Udun. Same people, same stuff, but more secure in the hands of Weta now. Still independently run. Come join the discussion if you are so inclined; I'm just glad to have my two internet homes back. :viking:

I did notice the Oin release and mentioned it about eight posts up. ;)

I'm glad the new Weta forum is up as now we'll have a reliable source of news and information on their products once again. I will decline the offer to join however as this place already takes up most of my free internet time. I don't just come here to post but also to work. :coolsmile
This Space for Rent

Thanks. :)

Between you, Idril, and Kit, we've got Weta news well covered here. Just to be clear, I did read the old S&F on occasion, and I plan to take a peek at the new forum to keep up to date on stuff that interests me. I was just saying I'm not interested in investing more time in postting elsewhere. ;)
This Space for Rent

Fingolfin wrote:Heck I don't blame you, I've spent too much time on these two sites the past two days. xP Besides we've got to keep you here at your desk. :club:
Just before Memorial Day, perfect timing for you to have as much time you need, eh Fin?

I have to go back to the new Flame of Udun. I was a bit perturbed I couldn't find a post reply icon in a thread. :angry:
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Fingolfin wrote:Indeed! The new setup is a bit dofferent, takes some getting used to. I just Use the quick reply style box at the bottom of the thread. You can toggle the advanced optIon open by clicking on the little A in the reply box.
Thanks Fin :bowing:
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Nasnandos wrote:The wings/fins are longer on the United version, and the paint is shinier like the prop. On the Weta, the paint in a much duller black. At least on the crown it is. The paint shifts to more of a gloss black down the shaft.

I just took some acetone and paper towels and wiped the paint off the ball. That makes the surface dull, so it needs to be wet sanded with a series of finer and finer sand papers to return the shine. The edges where the fins join the ball need some clean up, and the black will need to be repainted, but here is what it looked like after removing the stripes. I may try some painting and airbrushing the white and purple swirls onto the ball this weekend. That will mean I have to cut off a fin to remove the ball.

Kit, did you ever get a chance to repaint yours? I'm curious as to how it turned out. I'm still debating on getting this with my Weta dollars from Smaug.

Sorry N2, I missed this post. The staff repaint got put on hold when I started a new project - a Millenium Falcon conversion of the Hasbro Hero toy from last year into a 32"(ish) studio scale filming model replica. I'll get back to the staff sometime soon. I did get it mostly sanded down and some reshaping done on the fins.

By the way, for anyone who ordered the Smaug the Terrible statue, I just got a notice from Weta to pay, so it should be shipping soon.
KRDS

Return to “Weta Workshop”