Re: New Weta everywhere you look!

There were a lot of things intended to be in movie 2, back when TH was only two movies, so that is where the prop photos of the double-bladed polearm were categorized. When it was split into three movies, many of the props were not re-categorized, so we thought it was to be in TDOS. I was later told it was to be used by the elven army in BOFA, but it proved unwieldy on set so it was dropped. I still consider it part of the movie Hobbit universe though.

By the way, for those of you that ordered one, I heard the UC replicas will be in stock late next month.
KRDS

Valkrist wrote: It's the final product that I accept as definitive and canon.
With the exception of Legolas contacts I agree :club: \
I wish I could still beat the dead horse icon
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Nasnandos wrote:Speaking of his contacts, it is mentioned in the new Weta book that they did give him brighter blue contacts than in LOTR because of the color sucking nature of the Red Epic 3D cameras. So that's why his eyes appear brighter in most of the marketing photos and a few places in the movies.
Given that it is noticeable in the movies as well, they should have left well enough alone. It looks like it offset the new cameras more than they were hoping for.

Off-topic but Kit, could you please go here and answer a question? Thank you. http://www.ucforums.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 33#p106833
This Space for Rent

Lindir wrote:My book has been despatched from Amazon so I should have it tomorrow :) Really looking forward to this one.
I think you just set some kind of "speed of ordering" record....

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

An announcement yesterday that the Dain statue was on Low Stock warning and dangerously close to selling out altogether forced my hand. It hasn't even been released yet and is still on pre-order status, but since I wanted to get him eventually, I decided not to take the chance. To build up some Weta dollars to spend on this expensive piece, I just ordered the Uruk-hai swordsman statue and the Green Dragon enviro, which are shipping now. Once the Weta dollars from that arrive, I'm jumping on Dain post haste! xP
This Space for Rent

Shhhhh, Idril... if Buckeye hears you she might suffer multiple heart attacks in a matter of seconds! :O

Kit, I don't expect Dain until Q2 but then again that's not that far away is it? At any rate, I could use a month or two to recover from my newest expenses - both statues I ordered this morning have shipped already. :cheering:

Is Dain's warhammer likely to have as similar of an overall wall-display footprint as Sauron's mace?
This Space for Rent

Honestly, I don't see how they can avoid this one any longer. It's been passed over too many times, and it's too important of a character to continue ignoring. I was very surprised that they gave us another Elrond and Azog, yet Eomer continues to be overlooked. Some of the less-wise, young voices over at FoU keep screaming for a Thranduil on Elk, Dwarven chariots, and Troll-riding orcs, but they need to pipe down, stop pestering Weta with silly requests on a daily basis, and let them work on a character that is long overdue: Eomer.

Forth Eorlingas! :horseback
This Space for Rent

Man, that's news to me on the Dain front, Kit. Very exciting! I really want that statue but it's just so expensive. The color looks great though, and if it's as good as the pictures, it would be an easier sell to me.

Kind of a bummer that The Hobbit products aren't selling as well as the LotR line. I mean, we're all in for LotR so it doesn't surprise me, but I think that the crazy high prices on the Hobbit line have hindered the sales. That and the obvious reason that LotR means more to most collectors, which translates to what they're willing to spend. Still hoping to see more non-weapon props and anonymous character statues before the line slows down. Comparatively, there aren't that many Battle of Five Armies products out yet, so here's hoping. :coolsmile
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

I think part of the problem is also that the Hobbit has fewer and less interesting characters than LoTR does, even with the expanded movie universe, and thus that limits Weta's options. The market for 'generic' statues is somewhat limited as many collectors only like to buy 'named' characters. However, with Weta hitting them out of the ball park with the recent Uruk-hai and Prologue Elf Warrior, I'd be very shocked if we don't see a BOFA Mirkwood Infantry Elf and Dwarf Warrior. I could care less about orcs because I feel the LoTR line already covered that well enough in the SSW days.
This Space for Rent

Fair point; that, along with the fact that both the Gundabad warriors and Dol Goldur/Moria orcs look a lot like Uruk-Hai in both stature and equipment. I sort of get why they chose that aesthetic, since it makes them scarier and more of a real foe for our heroes to get trampled by. I still wish that they wouldn't have been quite as massive and imposing, though. I'd cite the book, but we know how far that goes with PJ's interpretation. :rolleye: Point is, most non-named bad guys in The Hobbit wouldn't be impressive enough to sell 1,000 units as a standalone piece at $280 a piece. I too think that a Mirkwood elf or two and an Iron Hills dwarf and/or Erebor dwarf warrior would go over well. The color scheme of the Mirkwood soldiers seems to be a popular sell, what with the demand for UC to produce the Helm and sword and the popularity of Elrond in his armor. The new action poses would suit those Mirkwood infantry enough to sell 1,000 statues, IMO.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Yep, got mine yesterday also and he's every bit as cool as N2's photos show. I do agree he's very large but then those dudes were massive brutes so the scale is perfect. I've got mine perfectly ensconced between Theoden and Saruman. I'm normally very selective
about which bad guys I buy, and I have a rule about no generics, but this one was just too awesome to pass up, and it really epitomizes the Uruk-hai warrior. I would break my no non-book characters if they made a Lurtz statue as good as this one.

Note: I love the new method of attaching limbs magnetically on these statues; brilliant!
This Space for Rent

Even tho' I don't collect bad guy stuff, I have to say that Uruk-hai statue is ultra impressive.
It is so jaw-dropping accurate...just amazing to look at.
The detail and paint is incredible... it looks like a real Uruk frozen in time....and it's stepping on a splintered shield of "those cursed horse-boys".
Great pics N2, and congrats to all who have it (or ordered it).

Fingolfin wrote:The limbs are attached magnetically?? When did they start that? That's smart...and they stay in place just fine?
This is the first statue I've bought where this method is used, but as I'm not buying them all, I don't know if there were prior ones to the Uruk-hai. The limbs stay on perfectly: the seam is at the forearms, where the gauntlets begin, and there is a socket with the magnet inside. It basically looks exactly the same as before, but there is no metal rod and hole as before, which eliminates the wiggle that some attached pieces used to have. Attaching the statue to the base is still done using the old method though.
This Space for Rent

Fingolfin wrote:.... My Gandalf the Grey statue's right arm and staff still have a tendency to want to fall out when provoked.
Which is why you never want to provoke a wizard :club:

Fingolfin wrote:The limbs are attached magnetically?? When did they start that? That's smart...and they stay in place just fine?
Weta has been doing it for awhile now. Both my Thranduil and Radagast have magnetic attachments. I know Sideshow has been doing it for a long time (5 plus years) with there statues and exclusives with change out options.

Yep, Radagast definitely has a magnet, though it's been so long since I got him I'd forgotten all about it. Thranduil is a little trickier because although there is no metal rod on his hand, it fits very snuggly in the wrist socket and there is no 'pull and snap' from the magnet like there is with Radagast and the Uruk-hai. Regardless, I much prefer this to the old method. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

Idril wrote:Just a heads up in case you haven't heard. This Rivendell shipment will be the last. it will go sold out at Weta after it sells through.
That made me kind of sad... it's sad to see products come to their end, but also exciting when things were so successful they do sell out...
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I think they continue to manufacture Open Edition collectibles at a rate steady enough to maintain a predetermined level of stock in each of their warehouses. However, at some point there is an established cap beyond which they will no longer produce an item. As more and more sculptures are introduced, keeping the molds, parts, materials, paints, and staff to handle an older OE stops being cost-effective once an item enters the twilight of its sales numbers. At this point Weta probably stops production, and whatever stock is left on hand, once sold off, is the end.

It probably happens in a somewhat similar fashion with UC and its non-LE items so maybe Kit can offer some insight as to how/when an OE item goes out of production for good.
This Space for Rent

It's usually the MOQ needed to make another run that determines when to discontinue a product. Most of the polyresin factories I have worked with need a minimum order of 600 or more to make a product run cost effective for them to earn a minimum profit. When the sales drop to a level where another run is not justified - as in, the sell through for 600 will take too long to justify the inventory cost - they usually end it there.

My Uruk Hai arrived today. It is exactly the same as N2's excellent photos show, so I won't bother posting detailed pix - just a few showing some other Uruk badness that will be displayed with it.

Love those yellow eyes!

KRDS

I remember doing a scale pattern drawing for the blade to determine the length and width, and figuring out we could not make it one piece because it was longer than the maximum length we could press out of stock. I don't think it got any farther than that. There was very little interest in Orc weapons from the collector base, so it probably would never have been made regardless.
KRDS

Return to “Weta Workshop”